Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 506843 times)

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #5760 on: March 27, 2024, 07:17:20 am »
The Alonso conversation is starting to remind me of the Bellingham conversation.

Agree, hopefully we end up with a similar outcome, the right one for the club.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #5761 on: March 27, 2024, 08:33:26 am »

The one positive I can say is that I trust them to make the right decision. I haven’t got a clue about football to be honest. I’m 100% sold on Alonso because his current team keep winning, I love the way he kicked a ball across a pitch and he’s a handsome young chap. I’m glad that’s not the criteria that the club are working to.

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #5762 on: March 27, 2024, 08:41:33 am »
Alonso signing for us was always more likely than Belleingham.

Is it? We'll see. I agree with the original poster, this is starting to look like the Bellingham deal all over again. Lots of 'deal done' talk and then he fucks off to another club.

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5763 on: March 27, 2024, 09:21:30 am »
Is it? We'll see. I agree with the original poster, this is starting to look like the Bellingham deal all over again. Lots of 'deal done' talk and then he fucks off to another club.

I don't think anyone other than fans have said deal done. In fact the vast vast majority of word coming out is "No he isn't coming Munich feel confident he will go to them or stay"

I just think a fair enough number of fans here don't believe he will come so say things like "Feels like Bellingham" or the vibes are off, so instead running that Amorim is more likely now. With that has come some level of cope I feel as well, portraying Amorim as clearly better and a better fit for various reasons - again I reach back to what I have been saying is he is still clearly a risk choice (as is Alonso tbf)

It feels like we have worked ourselves into saying it is likely Alonso doesn't come, based off frankly very little
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 09:27:42 am by Stockholm Syndrome »

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5764 on: March 27, 2024, 09:35:59 am »
Would be very amusing if Moyes knocked Xabi out of Europe to see how the "Amorim's European record is a disgrace" lot cope.  ;D

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5765 on: March 27, 2024, 09:36:49 am »
That's a first here, someone who actively hopes Xabi Alonso becomes the next Madrid manager as that would be better for Liverpool ::)

My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5766 on: March 27, 2024, 09:39:17 am »
Would be very amusing if Moyes knocked Xabi out of Europe to see how the "Amorim's European record is a disgrace" lot cope.  ;D

I mean he'd still be one round behind Alonso like last year  ;D

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5767 on: March 27, 2024, 09:42:19 am »
I mean he'd still be one round behind Alonso like last year  ;D
Indeed but would still be lots of tune changing. Hopefully we can get Glasner from Palace anyway given he won the Europa.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5768 on: March 27, 2024, 09:45:05 am »
That's a first here, someone who actively hopes Xabi Alonso becomes the next Madrid manager as that would be better for Liverpool ::)

If Alonso prefers Real over Liverpool then he can fuck off, so yes it's the right decision for us. We aren't some sloppy seconds.

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5769 on: March 27, 2024, 09:46:45 am »
The one positive I can say is that I trust them to make the right decision. I haven’t got a clue about football to be honest. I’m 100% sold on Alonso because his current team keep winning, I love the way he kicked a ball across a pitch and he’s a handsome young chap. I’m glad that’s not the criteria that the club are working to.

Same, this is the "group" who brought us Klopp, they are far wiser than when they first started.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5770 on: March 27, 2024, 09:54:19 am »
Indeed but would still be lots of tune changing. Hopefully we can get Glasner from Palace anyway given he won the Europa.

Tbf I actually think Glasner is much better than Palace, probably Aston Villa level.

I do think the idea that Amorim underperformed in Europe is over exaggerated, but not baseless. Other Portuguese teams do perform better. Yes it can be argued that the team was gutted and weaker, but I do agree that's something of a red herring.

Portugal is a weaker league, and while he has toppled over two team ahead of him, he is still in the 3rd biggest team and the gap between them and Porto/Benfica wasn't insurmountable. Yes he is working with a weaker team and will have better players, but that's the case for any manager coming in.

I just think some people are going a little overboard with success in Portugal as a level of guarantee of bringing that success here - it's a bigger job in a bigger league with better players, to me there is a jump to be made and it can't be taken for granted that he might not make that jump. There is risk.

Again same with Alonso - the jump from Bundesliga success to Premier League is lesser but still exists, also Alonso hasn't even done it yet (but likely will) - even then it is only one season. Can he keep doing that.

I do feel though as people are playing in their mind that Amorim is coming, they are de-emphisizing the risk that he is, and overly emphasizing the risk of Alonso both real and perceived (such as the risk of Madrid and Munich)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 09:56:35 am by Stockholm Syndrome »

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #5771 on: March 27, 2024, 09:56:21 am »
The Alonso conversation is starting to remind me of the Bellingham conversation.

Which will no doubt have the same hysterical 'FSG are mingebags' overreactions if we don't do exactly what the loudest shouters want.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5772 on: March 27, 2024, 09:56:48 am »
I want Alonso to become our new manager but the worry is there will always be speculation about his future should the Madrid job become available. In Hunter's article on the previous page, there's a bit about him being offered the Marseille job but rejected it with the president of Marseille stating Alonso had made it clear the 4 teams he would like to manage. It just make me wonder whether he would be looking to move on after 3-5 seasons if Madrid did come calling. And let's be honest Madrid seem to have gotten their act together and have really made an effort to lower the average age of their squad by signing young quality players. It must be tempting for a young manager to want to work with such young talent.

I want someone for the long haul.
Totally agree with this, and I also believe it's how the club will be thinking. In Rodgers and Klopp they hired people who they trusted to be in it for the long haul, to take a project and see it through from start to finish. They could've gone after the finished product but they didn't. I loved Xabi as a player, he seems like a great man and a really good manager, but he hasn't proved himself to the extent that we might be prepared to abandon the plan in the hope he might give us two or three years of winning stuff before moving on. There's other managers out there far more qualified if we are going to find ourselves recruiting for 2 or 3 years rather than 5 or 6.

It's all speculation obviously and none of us have any idea. He does of course have history of jumping ship as soon as Madrid came knocking although the state of the club and the length of a managerial career compared to a playing one is a mitigating factor.

I don't think we should forget that we are one of the biggest clubs in the world and in a very privileged position ourselves. Sometimes when other clubs are interested in a player or manager, we can get a bit too carried away with winning the battle rather than actually understanding the long term. It's incredibly early days for Xabi as a manager. He needs to convince us as much as we need to convince him. And getting dicked around with constant links to Madrid all the time, and the prospect of him wanting out before his contract expires, is a genuine concern the club should have.

He's still my favourite, but if we get him it needs to be for the long haul.

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #5773 on: March 27, 2024, 09:57:19 am »
If Alonso prefers Real over Liverpool then he can fuck off, so yes it's the right decision for us. We aren't some sloppy seconds.

We're sloppy thirds.
Salah could have joined but went to Chelsea and then went to Roma before eventually joining us.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5774 on: March 27, 2024, 10:00:55 am »

So Alonso joins now or can never come right? Potentially 25 years of management ahead but he has to join us now or he can fuck off

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5775 on: March 27, 2024, 10:07:20 am »
Think you have your own wires crossed here. You actually said "hopefully the same outcome (as Bellingham)" which given Alonso has made no comment regarding managing Madrid, is a strange nose-cutting, face-spiting position to take,

As a reminder for you and those who think Xabi has a General Franco tattoo on his arse...

1. He turned down Madrid's offer in 2004 to join Liverpool.

2. He turned down Madrid's contract extension in 2014 to join Bayern.

3. He turned down Madrid's promotion from academy to fast-track senior coach (the Zidane pathway) in 2019 to join Sociedad.

My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #5776 on: March 27, 2024, 10:15:51 am »
After AVB you mean? :P

Yeah he'll need to win the league again to convince he's more than a risky punt, as unfortunately his European pedigree really isn't much to shout about. It was very disappointing Sporting went out to Atalanta, not least because it'd have been interesting to see them up close in the QF.

Right now, he's the only palatable alternative we've been linked to if for some reason, Xabi doesn't have the stomach for it. There's also the concern about whether he'll hold out (knowing he's only our backup option) if say Barcelona or even Chelsea come calling in the next few weeks. If that happens, there'll be a semi-meltdown on RAWK.

I see you've woken up a bit negative today. Sporting spent a lot of money (in Portugese league terms), to bring in Amorim, to help get them back to the top. Yes they are "Big 3" there but toppling Benfica and Porto is no easy task, when you continually have to sell your best players too.

When you hear about Amorim, you hear about his talent bringing a whole squad together in harmony, and preparing youth players for the pressure games. If the talent is there, I would not be worried about European games, if he's winning his domestic league again.

Rafa was a gem.

Klopp was a gem, and a mensch.

I feel we'll get it right this time again.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5777 on: March 27, 2024, 10:22:04 am »
Think you have your own wires crossed here. You actually said "hopefully the same outcome (as Bellingham)" which given Alonso has made no comment regarding managing Madrid, is a strange nose-cutting, face-spiting position to take,

As a reminder for you and those who think Xabi has a General Franco tattoo on his arse...

3. He turned down Madrid's promotion from academy to fast-track senior coach (the Zidane pathway) in 2019 to join Sociedad.

We moved on from Bellingham to sign Mac Allister, Szoboszlai and Endo, which despite Bellingham being quality (and seems a good guy as well the bastard) we maximised the strengthening of the team to a bigger proportion with 3 players if we had just signed 1.

Alonso is who I'd like as number 1 choice, but he's also not this mythical messiah, I'm actually totally calm, I reckon we'll get a great manager, Alonso or not.

So my point being, in my opinion, us moving on from Bellingham was actually better for the club.. I hope the same outcome if we don't get Alonso :) no drama.

I do also like us being number one priorities, like Klopp wanting us over Utd. Thats the sort of shit I love, we're a special club, from a special city.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 10:23:39 am by Draex »

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5778 on: March 27, 2024, 11:49:00 am »
So Alonso joins now or can never come right? Potentially 25 years of management ahead but he has to join us now or he can fuck off

If he chooses waiting 1-2 years for Real to come calling over joining us right now I'd say that puts him in "get fucked" territory.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5779 on: March 27, 2024, 12:09:25 pm »
except it might calm down the "Alonso's never faced adversity" stuff  :)

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5780 on: March 27, 2024, 12:35:37 pm »
If he chooses waiting 1-2 years for Real to come calling over joining us right now I'd say that puts him in "get fucked" territory.

If he chooses Bayern now over us, that's get-fucked territory for me. If he stays at Leverkusen, I won't blame him. He might just not feel ready to take the big step up.

Online lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5781 on: March 27, 2024, 01:09:50 pm »
If he chooses Bayern now over us, that's get-fucked territory for me. If he stays at Leverkusen, I won't blame him. He might just not feel ready to take the big step up.
Not sure why the bitterness if he doesn't choose us, he was a great player for us and clearly has love for the club.
There will be lots of things for him to decide on and that might take him somewhere else, it won't change my opinion of him.

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5782 on: March 27, 2024, 01:28:11 pm »
Not sure why the bitterness if he doesn't choose us, he was a great player for us and clearly has love for the club.
There will be lots of things for him to decide on and that might take him somewhere else, it won't change my opinion of him.

No bitterness if he doesn’t choose us on my part. It would just be an overall shitty move to go to Bayern specifically, regardless of our interest.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #5783 on: March 27, 2024, 01:33:41 pm »
I would have total respect for Xabi if he stayed at Leverkusen, especially if he still did so when Real came calling in 2 years as well.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5784 on: March 27, 2024, 01:35:07 pm »
Bellingham had no connection to the club, Xabi does. One is a player and players have a short playing life. The other is a manager now, and could be one for the next 20 years. Totally diffrent arguments you dickheads. Whichever way you want to argue.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5785 on: March 27, 2024, 02:10:30 pm »
As fans, we're not the only cohort who is looking at Leverkusen under Xabi and drooling.

Players can be just as impressionable and at the top end, those in demand, the coach/manager can often be the clinching argument in making that decision. Does Thiago leave Munich without Klopp's warm embrace? Does Virgil come without his illicit liaison with Jurgen in Blackpool? Does Mascherano swerve Barcelona (pre-OFC) without Rafa's salt and pepper pot demonstration?

Throw in Alonso's world class reputation and playing career on top of his unprecedented achievement with "Neverkusen", and it's a very potent mix. We have already had claims from Florian Wirtz's dad that his son will follow Xabi anywhere. Like it or not, players will be swayed by the coach, not THE reason to sign for Liverpool but certainly an additional factor or cachet for some, a tipping point for others, in the same way they just won't be immediately enthralled by the likes of De Zerbi, Nagelsmann, and yes, for all his good work/data, Amorim. And that will also apply to a selection of our current playing squad, Trent in particular, who we absolutely need to retain.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5786 on: March 27, 2024, 02:22:33 pm »
 ;D

https://twitter.com/Plettigoal/status/1772917488772063444

Roberto De Zerbi, top candidate for FC Bayern in case Xabi #Alonso stays at Bayer 04 Leverkusen!

@SPORTBILD confirms our news now

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5787 on: March 27, 2024, 02:25:01 pm »
As fans, we're not the only cohort who is looking at Leverkusen under Xabi and drooling.

Players can be just as impressionable and at the top end, those in demand, the coach/manager can often be the clinching argument in making that decision. Does Thiago leave Munich without Klopp's warm embrace? Does Virgil come without his illicit liaison with Jurgen in Blackpool? Does Mascherano swerve Barcelona (pre-OFC) without Rafa's salt and pepper pot demonstration?

Throw in Alonso's world class reputation and playing career on top of his unprecedented achievement with "Neverkusen", and it's a very potent mix. We have already had claims from Florian Wirtz's dad that his son will follow Xabi anywhere. Like it or not, players will be swayed by the coach, not THE reason to sign for Liverpool but certainly an additional factor or cachet for some, a tipping point for others, in the same way they just won't be immediately enthralled by the likes of De Zerbi, Nagelsmann, and yes, for all his good work/data, Amorim. And that will also apply to a selection of our current playing squad, Trent in particular, who we absolutely need to retain.

I think you are going a bit OTT about Alonso personally, you speak like he is bigger than our club, he isn't.

We aren't a team on the up, we are a team at the very top of football, this isn't Liverpool when Klopp took over.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5788 on: March 27, 2024, 02:27:21 pm »
agreed.  the "get fucked" comments are ridiculous.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5789 on: March 27, 2024, 04:15:16 pm »
;D

Their egos really can't conceive of the prospect that he might take that next step up at any other club than that shower of c*nts.

I think you are going a bit OTT about Alonso personally, you speak like he is bigger than our club, he isn't.

We aren't a team on the up, we are a team at the very top of football, this isn't Liverpool when Klopp took over.
I agree, which is why we ought to appoint a coach who is reflective of that standing, and is most likely to maintain our hard-fought success against the odds, and cement our place in that pantheon of clubs accordingly. A De Zerbi-type appointment is much more akin to Rodgers 2012, a crossed fingers punt at best, and our players won't be immune from that feeling.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 04:17:52 pm by rossipersempre »

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #5790 on: March 27, 2024, 04:33:26 pm »
I see you've woken up a bit negative today. Sporting spent a lot of money (in Portugese league terms), to bring in Amorim, to help get them back to the top. Yes they are "Big 3" there but toppling Benfica and Porto is no easy task, when you continually have to sell your best players too.

When you hear about Amorim, you hear about his talent bringing a whole squad together in harmony, and preparing youth players for the pressure games. If the talent is there, I would not be worried about European games, if he's winning his domestic league again.

Rafa was a gem.

Klopp was a gem, and a mensch.

I feel we'll get it right this time again.

Big responsibility on the shoulders of Edwards and Hughes, but from everything we know and read about them, then they know what they are doing.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #5791 on: March 27, 2024, 07:03:52 pm »
wouldnt Real go for Klopp i would think
If he turned down the Old Trafford circus then I can't see him signing up for an even bigger circus than them.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #5792 on: March 27, 2024, 07:25:27 pm »
I just think some people are going a little overboard with success in Portugal as a level of guarantee of bringing that success here - it's a bigger job in a bigger league with better players, to me there is a jump to be made and it can't be taken for granted that he might not make that jump. There is risk.

Again same with Alonso - the jump from Bundesliga success to Premier League is lesser but still exists, also Alonso hasn't even done it yet (but likely will) - even then it is only one season. Can he keep doing that.

I do feel though as people are playing in their mind that Amorim is coming, they are de-emphisizing the risk that he is, and overly emphasizing the risk of Alonso both real and perceived (such as the risk of Madrid and Munich)

Think that’s the issue with the way the Premier League is going now. It feels like the days of the other leagues providing stepping stone clubs for future top Premier League managers are close to over. There are no guarantees with any manager outside of Klopp and Pep. That’s just the reality of the game at the moment so any manager we go for is essentially going to be a big, untested risk.

I can talk myself into everything going south under the next manager just as much as I can talk myself into things staying great and we continue to be competitive. The reality is this is an excellent league with strong teams and dugouts at most of the top half clubs now, we have no clue if Amorim or even Xabi will be any better than most of them or be well out of their depth. 7Hag came with glowing reports from Ajax and he’s been not far off a disaster from a performances perspective. They’ve been so lucky to get results to keep him in a job.

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #5793 on: March 27, 2024, 08:34:43 pm »
;D

He's great. I love how he is covering most of his bases all the time. Tuchel is a great example for that. If you go through Plettigoals timeline, he has said Tuchel is open for a move to Barca, then again, he'd also be up for going to Man Utd as his mission in the PL is not over and finally he's also not against going back to Chelsea. I wonder how he plans that stuff out and keeps up with all the shite he's posting...

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are Liverpool. Resistance is futile.
« Reply #5794 on: March 27, 2024, 08:39:55 pm »
With all due respect... 'cos someone linked Xabi and Bellingham in terms of possible disappointment doesn't mean a damn thing or make anything true does it?

::) ::) ::)

We've got Edwards and Hughes in place. I'm optimistic.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5795 on: March 27, 2024, 08:40:27 pm »
No matter who comes in, if he can be half the leader Jurgen is we will be doing well. There's some huge shoes to fill when Klopp leaves and if the new manager can keep the club going forward he will probably have achieved the ideal takeover. How often has that happened since the glory days of the boot room where a succession of managers won one title after another? This could be one of the first as Jurgen could be leaving a title winning team in the hands of his successor. Fingers crossed
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #5796 on: March 27, 2024, 09:46:29 pm »

He hates Madrid!!  :P

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5797 on: March 28, 2024, 02:31:07 pm »
https://twitter.com/GuillemBalague/status/1773310929288978873

Xabi Alonso is determined to choose his future in the next 3-4 weeks. Nothing is decided yet, nothing at all.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #5798 on: March 28, 2024, 02:47:58 pm »
With all due respect... 'cos someone linked Xabi and Bellingham in terms of possible disappointment doesn't mean a damn thing or make anything true does it?

::) ::) ::)

We've got Edwards and Hughes in place. I'm optimistic.

In different circumstances we might have got Bellingham. The club was a mess last season on and off the pitch and were going to miss out on the CL and its revenue for one thing, while the owners were looking to sell the club, Edwards/Ward were out and we basically needed a whole new midfield. If we were challenging on all fronts again like 21/22 (or this season) his decision last season might have been different. I don't think we'd have been waiting for him without encouragement from the player - the issue was always that by sitting on our hands we were sleepwalking into a malaise.

Having the structure back in place again and the squad in much better shape, should help us get our man. Ultimately though Alonso just might not want to have the burden of replacing Klopp. Edwards was reluctant to come back himself but the club were insistent, similar when we got Klopp originally.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5799 on: March 28, 2024, 02:56:36 pm »