Author Topic: Al Jazeera-Apple could challenge Sky for TV rights  (Read 9976 times)

Offline scoopex

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
Al Jazeera-Apple could challenge Sky for TV rights
« on: January 4, 2012, 12:54:21 pm »
Computer giants Apple are showing interest in joining the billion-pound battle for the next set of live Premier League TV rights when the tender goes out before the end of the season.

The Premier League is seen as the type of premium content that will help establish Apple TV in the UK and boost iPad sales, while the iTunes subscription service infrastructure is already in place.

The involvement of Apple - and their great multimedia rivals Google are also expected to make similar soundings - would give the PL a hugely competitive market at a time when the price of other TV sports rights are in decline.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2081869/Apple-want-Premier-League-TV-rights-Charles-Sale.html#ixzz1iUfGamgQ

Time to buy an Apple TV ?
RAWK TICKET EXCHANGE TRADE COUNT: +11

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
Re: iWant! Apple stalk TV deal for Premier League
« Reply #1 on: January 4, 2012, 01:28:25 pm »
If they fuck Sky off that will be all i need
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline SalisburyRed

• No fun "budding young Tory"!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 4, 2012, 01:41:13 pm »
Don't see it happening myself and I'll wait to see if anyone other than Charlie Sale is going to run a story along these lines before I get too excited.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3 on: January 4, 2012, 01:45:17 pm »
If Apple and Google do enter the race then SKY will just offer more and more money. It's a non-story. SKY's whole subscription is based around Sky Sports and Football is the flagship for Sky Sports.

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 4, 2012, 01:57:33 pm »
If Apple and Google do enter the race then SKY will just offer more and more money. It's a non-story. SKY's whole subscription is based around Sky Sports and Football is the flagship for Sky Sports.
There's also ESPN to contend with. Pretty sure they won't be happy with just 1 out of 6 packages this time around, so they'll probably make an effort to bid for more.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #5 on: January 4, 2012, 02:01:15 pm »
coverage will probably be shit...no matter how we knock Sky, their coverage (monopoly) in sports is better.  The rest do not have the resource nor expertise.
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline SalisburyRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 4, 2012, 02:05:23 pm »
You're right that Sky have produced much more live football over past 20 years than any of their competitors, but ESPN could certainly match them for resources.

Offline Surprise me.

• Is 2" bigger than fordy87.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #7 on: January 4, 2012, 02:07:36 pm »
So we might have to buy Google TV and/or Apple TV to get full football coverage. I doubt Sky will lose everything, they might nto lose anything but if they do it'll be one or two packages. Google TV is rubbish at the minute, hardly any companies want to sign up and offer their channels or film services so it's a bit sparse. Maybe getting the football will get a lot of other people interested and make it a big platform. That'll be good to see actually since i quite like the idea of GoogleTV.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 4, 2012, 02:09:27 pm »
You're right that Sky have produced much more live football over past 20 years than any of their competitors, but ESPN could certainly match them for resources.

wasn't ESPN who offered a cheaper package (pay as you watch) for the 3pm games 2-3 years ago but kept going offline during the games?  Or was it someone else (memory aint very good after the holidays)
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #9 on: January 4, 2012, 02:13:31 pm »
There's also ESPN to contend with. Pretty sure they won't be happy with just 1 out of 6 packages this time around, so they'll probably make an effort to bid for more.

Ah forgot about ESPN. They'll be going for more than the 1 I'm sure, Apple or Google just won't have the experience or resources to fight it out between the two Sports Heavyweights.

Offline SalisburyRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 4, 2012, 02:16:52 pm »
wasn't ESPN who offered a cheaper package (pay as you watch) for the 3pm games 2-3 years ago but kept going offline during the games?  Or was it someone else (memory aint very good after the holidays)

I'm not sure what you're referring to. ESPN have never offered such a service in the UK because they wouldn't be allowed to; no broadcaster is allowed to show the 3pm games live.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 4, 2012, 02:36:44 pm »
I'm not sure what you're referring to. ESPN have never offered such a service in the UK because they wouldn't be allowed to; no broadcaster is allowed to show the 3pm games live.

it was Setanta

Offline SalisburyRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 4, 2012, 02:40:27 pm »
it was Setanta

Setanta didn't offer the 3pm games live either, certainly not in the UK at least.

Offline INABITSKI

• An own-nut-fondling manly man's wool. Possibly.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 4, 2012, 04:27:53 pm »
Do not want. I pay for Sky grudgingly I fucking hate Apple.

Offline scared_person

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 4, 2012, 04:54:20 pm »
coverage will probably be shit...no matter how we knock Sky, their coverage (monopoly) in sports is better.  The rest do not have the resource nor expertise.

Really? And there was me thinking that Jamie Redknapp just sat there wearing tight trousers and repeating cliches.

Gary Neville is Gary Neville
Alan Smith is a human cliche
Martin Tyler? FFS
Ray Wilkins is good value for comedy but he's not a great broadcaster.

Sky's coverage really is dumbed down mind numbing agenda driven nonsense. I'd welcome competition if it meant the quality of the broadcasting went up. Sadly I expect the only thing competition will drive up is the price of subscriptions. Companies compete to offer more to the PL, but that just means we the consumer end up paying more. When Sky offer a bumper new deal to the PL its us lucky sods who get to pay for it.

Offline SalisburyRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 4, 2012, 05:15:09 pm »
Competition would work for the consumers if the rights were sold to TV companies on a non-exclusive basis. If you had two or three broadcasters offering coverage of the same matches, viewers could choose which they wished to subscribe to on the basis of price and quality. Of course, it won't happen because it wouldn't be in the Premier League's interest. Sky only pay what they currently pay because it means they're the only broadcaster in this country to show the biggest games. They pay a premium for this exclusivity. If they knew that they'd be going up against other broadcasters directly, the rights would be worth a lot less to them.

Offline Rococo

• mo-sissoko
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 4, 2012, 06:08:30 pm »
My worry would be that google/ apple may be a bit more clued up about stopping streams.  Not sure why I think that other than they do computers!

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #17 on: January 4, 2012, 06:16:07 pm »
I'll support any initiative containing to put Gary Neville out of a job.
It's just sex and violence, melody and silence.

Offline Rococo

• mo-sissoko
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 4, 2012, 06:32:31 pm »

I think he's a good pundit and there's a whole queue of knobs waiting to take a similar role

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 4, 2012, 06:44:24 pm »

Fuck that, Neville speaks a lot of sense and (in general) isn't very biased unless he's being tongue in cheek, his hwiny manc voice still goes through me though
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline 1021

• AD MXXI
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 4, 2012, 06:45:52 pm »
I'd rather Apple had a monopoly on it than Murdoch.
People say that their coverage has enhanced things, but all it has done has made it less accessible to working class supporters, stupid KO times,  higher ticket prices, etc.
I got the Lucas thing wrong. Will be right on Henderson though. Play him RM, play him CM - Not good enough and never will be.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #21 on: January 4, 2012, 06:57:17 pm »
Fuck that shit, Apple will probably charge more and then only give quality service to yet to be released Apple pc's or some shite like that...

Apple are like Sky, They have the goods, but they charge a fortune to use them.

Offline Thiago

• Legacy Fan
  • Knows more than you
« Reply #22 on: January 4, 2012, 07:08:57 pm »
We'll soon end up with the rights being shared amongst 3 or 4 companies. Which will mean 3 or 4 subscriptions for the same amount of content as before.

Yay for competition.

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 4, 2012, 07:23:49 pm »
Other than there isn't a shred of evidence for the Daily Mail story. As the Telegraph article points out " according to the Daily Mail, which does not reveal its source for the story".

I would suspect that they're looking at buying their local rights (i.e. US). If you remember how they've rolled out music, films and TV, in the past they've always dealt with the US first.

Offline SalisburyRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 4, 2012, 07:26:39 pm »
They should just buy Sky.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #25 on: January 4, 2012, 07:28:33 pm »

Resources?... haha - News Corp valuation is around $41 billion. Apple are vauled around $400billion and have a cash stockpile of $81billion.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/275233/20120102/what-will-apple-81-billion-cash-stockpile.htm

Apple could buy the whole of NewsCorp for cash, take SkySpoprst and spit out the rest...

And of course , Apple know fuck all about selling media...
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline LBish

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #26 on: January 4, 2012, 08:22:42 pm »
I'm disinclined to believe anything written in the Daily Mail.

Offline jp2

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
Apple Prepares Bid For EPL TV Rights
« Reply #27 on: January 6, 2012, 06:15:19 pm »
Apple could be set to rush soccer broadcasting into a new era with a revolutionary, multi-billion dollar bid for television rights to the English Premier League.

And it could have implications far beyond soccer.

The technology giant is interested in acquiring exclusive rights to screen EPL games in England when the next package (for the 2013-2016 seasons) is tendered. The Cupertino, Calif., company is set to wade into a bidding war with established television heavyweights such as Rupert Murdoch-owned Sky Sports, ESPN and Al Jazeera.

Using its platform of Apple TV, a small box costing less than $100 that allows users to stream internet content on their television screens, the company already showcases properties from Major League Baseball, the National Hockey League and the National Basketball Association. But this is different.

By going for full English television rights to the EPL, one of the most lucrative sports products in the world, Apple could be signaling the start of an assault on cable's turf.

Apple's interest was first revealed by Charles Sale of London's Daily Mail newspaper and was confirmed to Yahoo! Sports by Apple sources on Thursday. The company is still in the early stage of formulating its bidding plans, but is keen to expand its sports packages and it sees soccer as a valuable way to gain a stronger footing in the British market.

"A lack of sports and news programming has always been one of the weaknesses of internet television," says technology expert Arik Hesseldahl, who has covered Apple for more than 10 years in his roles as senior editor of the AllThingsD blog (a partner of the Wall Street Journal) and columnist at Business Week. "Something like EPL rights could serve as a sports anchor to build upon.

"It could generate greater interest in Apple TV, especially in the UK, and be seen as a kind of testing ground for other markets. Apple has the money, they hold around $82 billion in cash reserves and short-term investments, and have shown they are prepared to pay whatever it takes to take positive strategic steps."

Consumers and the technology sector has responded to the Apple news with heavy interest, and there is a sense that this move, if successful, could forever change the way that live sports is consumed. Any successful rights deal involving would be likely to allow for subscribers to watch live games on not only Apple TV, but iPads and iPhones.

The flurry of excitement surrounding the Apple news was further intensified due to the ongoing rumors in the technology field of a new, secret Apple television product that may be released at some point over the next two years.

Before his death, Apple co-founder Steve Jobs spoke of a potential new product that would take the Apple streaming concept and put it inside an actual television. In one of his final interviews, Jobs claimed to have discovered the solution to formulating a successful marriage between the Internet and television.

"If such a product were to come out it could change the whole playing field,” Hesseldahl says. "No one knows for sure what they are planning, but if you had an actual television set with the ability to web-stream embedded in it, and users were still able to access their traditional cable or satellite functions, it could be huge.

"That is why Apple has to be taken seriously in any market. They have the money and the technological smarts to have a vision of how we will view things in the future. In many ways, they hold all the cards."

That might be a problem for ESPN, which charges cable subscribers whether they watch the network or not. Any reliable way to bypass cable is a potential threat to ESPN's bottom line, if not its incredible reach and popularity.

Apple's expected presence in the English EPL rights market could also drastically inflate the bidding price, one that already reached $2.5 billion for the last four-year package. Murdoch's Sky Sports has shown games ever since the EPL was formed in 1992, while Al-Jazeera, the broadcaster that used to focus on the Middle East, comes with huge fiscal backing and is also determined to spread its wings.

Al Jazeera has already acquired rights for soccer in the French domestic league and for Champions League matches in France, with plans to develop its content base further. It is also likely to put up a strong challenge for EPL rights in 2013.

Google shouldn't be discounted either, and ESPN is obviously a heavyweight already.

Whatever the outcome, the EPL should strengthen its standing as the wealthiest league in the world, and continue to attract many of the finest players on the planet to its leading clubs. Player salaries, already higher than any other competition -- including Spain's La Liga and Italy's Serie A, may rise again.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/futuresport/201201/ipitch-apple-prepares-bid-epl-tv-rights

We just spotted Chelsea our best player and pwned them at the Bridge.

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 6, 2012, 06:18:20 pm »
And we have to buy their stupid overpriced snob-boxes to watch it on.

Fuck off.

87:13

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #29 on: January 6, 2012, 06:22:42 pm »
No thanks.

Over charge for products that are simply not worth it.
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline jp2

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #30 on: January 6, 2012, 06:29:41 pm »
As a selfish American w/o cable, I'm all for it. Can see it being bad for everyone else though.
We just spotted Chelsea our best player and pwned them at the Bridge.

Offline Surprise me.

• Is 2" bigger than fordy87.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #31 on: January 6, 2012, 07:00:02 pm »
Another box we'll have to buy, or buy the sounds of it a new TV if they want to embedded the hardware into the TV. Probably get rid of Sky if anything like this happens so it's not a big deal.

Wonder how they'll convince everyone with it being over the internet, a lot of people still have slow connections or only basic broadband.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #32 on: January 6, 2012, 07:41:43 pm »
Another box we'll have to buy, or buy the sounds of it a new TV if they want to embedded the hardware into the TV. Probably get rid of Sky if anything like this happens so it's not a big deal.

Wonder how they'll convince everyone with it being over the internet, a lot of people still have slow connections or only basic broadband.
when Sky first bought football, dishes weren't exactly prolific.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: January 6, 2012, 07:48:44 pm »
No thanks.

Over charge for products that are simply not worth it.

Who? Sky?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #34 on: January 6, 2012, 07:56:23 pm »

4G is already being tested and should be available next year.  4G is faster than 3G.

BT and other network providers are spending millions on making the Internet faster(hope my money to Rawk enables them to keep up with modern tech - and those oh haven't given to Rawk then please do)

You can also buy things now to make what you're watch on the internet appear on your normal TV(currently costs approx £100)

Apple are not stupid - They know next year would be perfect for them to get involved in football and make a lot of money for it.
« Last Edit: January 6, 2012, 08:03:15 pm by Fordy »

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: January 6, 2012, 07:59:33 pm »
Oh and of course Apple have no experience of sports coverage:

MLB.TV® Offseason Package
Now that the 2011 MLB® Season is over, you can still enjoy MLB.TV action on your Apple TV.
Purchase the MLB.TV Offseason Package and gain access to archived baseball games from the 2011 MLB Postseason.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/index.jsp?product=appletv
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: January 6, 2012, 08:00:24 pm »

Bullshit, BBC's coverage when it has the money and the inclination is fantastic. F1 was brilliant.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 6, 2012, 08:03:51 pm »
Resources?... haha - News Corp valuation is around $41 billion. Apple are vauled around $400billion and have a cash stockpile of $81billion.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/275233/20120102/what-will-apple-81-billion-cash-stockpile.htm

Apple could buy the whole of NewsCorp for cash, take SkySpoprst and spit out the rest...

And of course , Apple know fuck all about selling media...

didnt mean in terms of money, everyone (almost) have that.  I was referring to knowledge and market share in sports broadcasting.  Apple/Google do not have that at the moment.  It is a special skill to be able to use all those cameras around the pitch and tv replays.  I dont know if you noticed when ITV or any other tv stations broadcasting during world cups, you get the wrong replays or the camera aint in the right place at the right time...and this probably bothered you at the time.

...however I am all for more options on the market rather than Sky's monopoly

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #38 on: January 6, 2012, 08:08:02 pm »
Oh and of course Apple have no experience of sports coverage:

MLB.TV® Offseason Package
Now that the 2011 MLB® Season is over, you can still enjoy MLB.TV action on your Apple TV.
Purchase the MLB.TV Offseason Package and gain access to archived baseball games from the 2011 MLB Postseason.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/index.jsp?product=appletv
The difference is that Apple carry that, they don't originate it, it's the same package available with cable and on the PS3. But I have no doubt Apple can pull this off if they do choose to pursue it.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: January 7, 2012, 01:17:25 am »
Nobody should doubt Al Jazeera, they are backed by the Qatari government. In 2009, they wanted to show the 2010 World cup so they outright bought the competition network which has the rights to broadcast the WC for $2 billion. They want to be the number one sports network in the world and have the money to do it.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590