Author Topic: Conor Bradley  (Read 92429 times)

Offline tornado

• ali
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Conor Bradley
« Reply #200 on: January 12, 2024, 07:21:51 pm »
I feel so much more confident for Bournemouth now; Trent is such a big miss and season will likely come down to fine margins at the end; I was fearing this would be a spot we would have to protect at least for this game, not any more!

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #201 on: January 13, 2024, 12:44:56 am »
Markus Babbel is the best traditional right back I've seen in a red shirt.

You're right. Glaring omission by me of poor Marcus, a tremendous player whose career here was hijacked by that awful illness.  Got to say I always thought of him as a centre back who just got put at right back and was pure class. I never saw him at all as a proper full back as I always envisage them in the manner and style young Conor so manifestly is. But nonetheless an unforgivable oversight in my list of our right back greats. Thanks for pointing out and be interested as to how highly you rate Bradley yourself based on his extraordinary performance the other night. I'm as excited as fuck myself.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #202 on: January 13, 2024, 12:57:06 am »
First off all, great to see a Timbo post. RAWK needs you. Stay!

Second, great assessment. I'm intrigued you think it was a more complete performance than even Rob Jones's debut - v Giggs and Man U I think? But perhaps you're right. Bradley showed more attacking intent than Rob could afford in that famous display. You're certainly right to point out that he was pitted against Fulham's best two players. Willian beat him once - unfortunately for the goal where Conor seemed to slip. But even this was interesting. He was in the right position to defend the threat, which was a very unusual position to be in for a right back. Robinson beat him once on the outside and got his cross in (only to allow Curtis to do a bit of showboating).

I loved his conversation with Jurgen at the end of the match. Didn't hear it obviously, but it was possible to imagine what was being said. He won't have slept that night, despite being utterly and obviously knackered. I also loved that Phil Thompson-esque method of early tackling. Get the tackle in a second before the player on the ball expects a challenge. You've got to be good to do that mind.

Cheers Yorky lad. Very kind. These days I'm afraid it takes something very very special to inspire me to post and young Bradley for sure looks very very very special. Finest Northern Ireland talent since a certain Man U number 7?? Can't think of one better on the evidence of his one and a bit games in a red shirt. Yours sincerely Mr Hyperbole  ;D

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: January 13, 2024, 01:21:09 am »
Cheers Yorky lad. Very kind. These days I'm afraid it takes something very very special to inspire me to post and young Bradley for sure looks very very very special. Finest Northern Ireland talent since a certain Man U number 7?? Can't think of one better on the evidence of his one and a bit games in a red shirt. Yours sincerely Mr Hyperbole  ;D

Whiteside didn't wear a number 7 ;)

Also, lets not forget Marty O'Neill - integral part of that forest team that won 2 European Cups, 2 League Cups and the League in just 3 years.

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: January 13, 2024, 03:06:21 am »
Not going to pretend I've thought good things about youth players before who have never lived up to the heights they promised but that's usually with forwards or maybe the odd midfielder. Just get the feeling this lad though is going to be a 100% bonafied first team option for us, he showed glimpses against Norwich on his debut and looked good in his limited pre season but to also end up Bolton's player of the year means he's definitely got something about him.

Online Lochgelly Violet

• Main Stander
« Reply #205 on: January 13, 2024, 04:41:20 am »
You're right. Glaring omission by me of poor Marcus, a tremendous player whose career here was hijacked by that awful illness.  Got to say I always thought of him as a centre back who just got put at right back and was pure class. I never saw him at all as a proper full back as I always envisage them in the manner and style young Conor so manifestly is. But nonetheless an unforgivable oversight in my list of our right back greats. Thanks for pointing out and be interested as to how highly you rate Bradley yourself based on his extraordinary performance the other night. I'm as excited as fuck myself.

I thought Bradley was excellent. It was him that got me thinking of Babbel, actually. Tall, quick, skillful and could run all day - that's perhaps the style of player we have here a bit?

I was perhaps more excited about the Arsenal cameo.  The timing of that sub told me that Jurgen has clearly seen enough of him (and Clark) to know that he's up to the big moments.

That sub was brilliant by the way – we put two kids with functionally no first team experience on at 0-0 and played them close together. Arsenal (as any good side would) couldn’t believe their luck and peppered that side for the rest of the game. And got absolutely fuck all joy. It was marvelous.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #206 on: January 13, 2024, 11:59:05 pm »

:lmao. Sorry for laughing mate but just the thought of Whiteside as Man U's finest ever number 7 had me in stitches.

Also, lets not forget Marty O'Neill - integral part of that forest team that won 2 European Cups, 2 League Cups and the League in just 3 years.

One of that bastard Clough's little toadies. Fuck that.

Anyroad from what I saw just in those 90 odd minutes the other night plus the cameo when he totally disenchanted Martinelli the package this kid brings to the table is eclipsed ony by one player I've ever seen in a Northern Ireland kit and we all know who that was. Mind you I never really got to see that much of Jimmy McIlroy and Danny Blanchflower back then so who knows maybe I'm just hyperbolising too much again.   ;D

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #207 on: January 14, 2024, 12:44:21 am »

To be fair Whiteside was constantly on the piss every day after training with the real United number 7.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: January 14, 2024, 12:50:49 am »
:lmao. Sorry for laughing mate but just the thought of Whiteside as Man U's finest ever number 7 had me in stitches.

Ha! I obviously didn't mean that. I mean that Whiteside is probably the most naturally gifted player out of NI since Best. Before my time, but I've watched a lot of footage. He was absolutely destroyed by injuries and retired at 26 so never got to reach his peak, but still managed to hit double figures as a striker in the 3 seasons before he turned 20.

Another similarity with Best is that he enjoyed a drink. Hopefully Conor doesn't have that trait.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 01:00:20 am by thejbs »

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #209 on: January 14, 2024, 01:12:59 am »
Ha! I obviously didn't mean that. I mean that Whiteside is probably the most naturally gifted player out of NI since Best. Before my time, but I've watched a lot of footage. He was absolutely destroyed by injuries and retired at 26 so never got to reach his peak, but still managed to hit double figures as a striker in the 3 seasons before he turned 20.

Another similarity with Best is that he enjoyed a drink. Hopefully Conor doesn't have that trait.

Have to agree Whiteside was a proper talent and a really nice fella.

Pretty much a complete midfield player. The thing is he didn't retire at 26 he retired at 24 when he joined Everton ;)

The careers of Bradley and Whiteside illustrate how random a young players career progression can be. Whiteside was a child prodigy who played for United at 16 and played at a World Cup at 17.

Bradley is pretty much the opposite he probably feared for his Liverpool career when we paid big money for Ramsey who is almost exactly the same age as Bradley. Conor is 22 days older.

Ramsey came straight into the first team squad and played in the Europa league whilst Conor was bombed out to Bolton.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #210 on: January 14, 2024, 01:19:13 am »

To be fair he was a really decent player as you say and shone from young age in a career ultimately blighted by those injuries. To those of my era though the comparisons with one of the greatest footballers ever to grace this earth, one blessed with gifts from heaven in the same manner as Pele, Maradona and Messi, was as ridiculous back then as it is now. But again that in no way takes anything away from Norman Whiteside who was a fine robust player in his own right.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 01:21:05 am by Timbo's Goals »

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #211 on: January 14, 2024, 08:10:44 am »
It will be interesting to see if Bradley and Ramsay are viewed good enough to stop us dipping into the market for a right back.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #212 on: January 14, 2024, 08:50:54 am »
Was Whiteside a bit of a dirty bastard too? My mate’s dad used to call me Norman whe he watched our games. Think I loved a slide tackle. :D

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: January 14, 2024, 09:47:22 am »
To be fair he was a really decent player as you say and shone from young age in a career ultimately blighted by those injuries. To those of my era though the comparisons with one of the greatest footballers ever to grace this earth, one blessed with gifts from heaven in the same manner as Pele, Maradona and Messi, was as ridiculous back then as it is now. But again that in no way takes anything away from Norman Whiteside who was a fine robust player in his own right.
Oh, no! I’m not putting him on a level with Best at all. Just saying he’s the most naturally gifted footballer NI has produced since Best. It’s not like NI or Ireland has produced many truly great players. Best footballer this island has produced since Best is probably Roy Keane.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: January 14, 2024, 12:18:14 pm »
First off all, great to see a Timbo post. RAWK needs you. Stay!

Seconded.

There's something in that compilation that reminds me of very early Gerrard; it may simply be the tenacity - the driving will to impose his own skill on the game (coupled with the bad haircut).

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #215 on: January 14, 2024, 01:36:38 pm »
Oh, no! I’m not putting him on a level with Best at all. Just saying he’s the most naturally gifted footballer NI has produced since Best. It’s not like NI or Ireland has produced many truly great players. Best footballer this island has produced since Best is probably Roy Keane.

Liam Brady?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #216 on: January 14, 2024, 02:02:12 pm »
Pat Jennings?
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: January 14, 2024, 02:35:51 pm »
Was Whiteside a bit of a dirty bastard too? My mate’s dad used to call me Norman whe he watched our games. Think I loved a slide tackle. :D

Sure he didn’t mean wisdom

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: January 14, 2024, 03:18:25 pm »
Jennings was, of course, amazing but I always think of him as more of a contemporary to Best than having come after him. He was a year older than Best. Though he did end up playing top flight for about 300 years, didn't he?

He was a bit of a c*nt as a player, but I'd still put Keane ahead of Brady, personally. Though, maybe I put more weight on Keane's brilliance as Brady's best years were before I was born. I remember as a kid loving Keane at Forest and hoping Liverpool would sign him.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #219 on: January 14, 2024, 03:30:25 pm »
Jennings was, of course, amazing but I always think of him as more of a contemporary to Best than having come after him. He was a year older than Best. Though he did end up playing top flight for about 300 years, didn't he?

He was a bit of a c*nt as a player, but I'd still put Keane ahead of Brady, personally. Though, maybe I put more weight on Keane's brilliance as Brady's best years were before I was born. I remember as a kid loving Keane at Forest and hoping Liverpool would sign him.

Hard to keep track of expected societal norms, am I meant to be outraged yet?  :D
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: January 14, 2024, 03:31:40 pm »
Hard to keep track of expected societal norms, am I meant to be outraged yet?  :D
Absolute c*nt of a thread

Offline slotmachine

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: January 14, 2024, 06:48:24 pm »
Dont forget Paul McGrath he was a great midfielder and one of the best CB's in the world despite having a 60 year old's knees and being an alcoholic. McGrath and Roy Keane along with George Best for the top 3 from the island.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #222 on: January 14, 2024, 07:08:48 pm »
Sure he didn’t mean wisdom

:lmao

Go fuck yourself!

Offline Oldmanmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: January 14, 2024, 07:17:19 pm »

I think the poor lad hit the bottle as soon as he went to Everton. Sad, but understandable I suppose.

Online put the wheelie bins out

• Main Stander
« Reply #224 on: January 14, 2024, 07:46:45 pm »
i know it's the conor bradley thread but because we're not playing this weekend and there's nothing to talk about, here's my best eleven with subs of players born in ireland.

pat jennings (gk)
denis irwin (rb)
steve staunton (lb)
paul mcgath(cb)
kevin moran (cb)
roy keane (mf)
jonny giles (mf)
liam brady(mf)
george best (fwd)
frank stapleton (fwd)
damian duff (fwd)

ronnie whelan (sub)
derek dougan (sub)
norman whiteside (sub)
robbie keane (sub)
packy bonner (sub)
pat rice (sub)
steve finnan (sub). 

hopefully with a lot of application and a bit of luck conor can be as good as denis irwin who was a superb full back.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #225 on: January 14, 2024, 08:35:31 pm »
Dont forget Paul McGrath he was a great midfielder and one of the best CB's in the world despite having a 60 year old's knees and being an alcoholic. McGrath and Roy Keane along with George Best for the top 3 from the island.

I've sat by patiently listening to this conversation. But the patience has run out. When the fuck is Ronnie Whelan going to mentioned?
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: January 14, 2024, 08:36:38 pm »
Originally it was just NI players. But one post above :)

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: January 14, 2024, 08:38:24 pm »
Originally it was just NI players. But one post above :)

Yeah, right, on the bleeding the bench!

"Roy Keane this, Roy Keane that, Chipp-er Brady he was nice....." Our number 5 beat the lot. Best since Best.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: January 14, 2024, 08:40:24 pm »
Yeah, right, on the bleeding the bench!

"Roy Keane this, Roy Keane that, Chipp-er Brady he was nice....." Our number 5 beat the lot. Best since Best.
No argument from me loved Ronnie

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: January 14, 2024, 08:42:12 pm »
No argument from me loved Ronnie

He passed the ball quicker than Ali punched.

Offline Oldmanmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: January 14, 2024, 08:48:16 pm »
i know it's the conor bradley thread but because we're not playing this weekend and there's nothing to talk about, here's my best eleven with subs of players born in ireland.

pat jennings (gk)
denis irwin (rb)
steve staunton (lb)
paul mcgath(cb)
kevin moran (cb)
roy keane (mf)
jonny giles (mf)
liam brady(mf)
george best (fwd)
frank stapleton (fwd)
damian duff (fwd)

ronnie whelan (sub)
derek dougan (sub)
norman whiteside (sub)
robbie keane (sub)
packy bonner (sub)
pat rice (sub)
steve finnan (sub). 

hopefully with a lot of application and a bit of luck conor can be as good as denis irwin who was a superb full back.

I reckon Kevin Sheedy deserves a place in that squad. Incredible left foot.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #231 on: January 14, 2024, 08:52:31 pm »
Robbie Keane definitely starts ahead of Frank Stapleton as well.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online put the wheelie bins out

• Main Stander
« Reply #232 on: January 14, 2024, 08:59:54 pm »

i thought of kevin sheedy but according to wiki he was born in builth wells, wales.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: January 14, 2024, 09:01:03 pm »
Not wrong. But another pointer to how good Whelan was, didn’t we move Sheedy on as he couldn’t get in our team ahead of Whelan

Edit: I see above - he was born in Wales

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: January 14, 2024, 09:40:09 pm »
So....Connor Bradley?

:)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: January 14, 2024, 09:42:13 pm »
Is Irish.

Online DiggerJohn

• Kopite
  • Up the Scouser Republic
« Reply #236 on: January 14, 2024, 09:48:39 pm »
Liam Brady?

Brady was more talented than Keane

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #237 on: January 14, 2024, 10:57:54 pm »
The story goes that Sheedy wrote to the Welsh fa with Ireland showing interest to see if he had a chance with his country of birth and they told him he would hear like anyone else when squads were announced. So he went off with Ireland.

Amateurish would be an overstatement

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #238 on: January 14, 2024, 11:01:03 pm »
Where’s Aldo?

Offline paisley1977

• Legacy Fan
  • Bob an ordinary man of extraordinary greatness.
« Reply #239 on: January 14, 2024, 11:25:53 pm »
Our longest serving player Elisha Scott came from Ulster. Didn't see him myself but he is getting my vote.
I've been here during the bad times,we finished second once.