Author Topic: Al Jazeera-Apple could challenge Sky for TV rights  (Read 9979 times)

Offline INABITSKI

• An own-nut-fondling manly man's wool. Possibly.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Al Jazeera could challenge Sky for Premier League TV rights
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2012, 06:49:06 pm »
Can't think off the top of my head what would be better right now.

This season we have had probably 80% of our games shown live and would be as many next season if not more with Europe.

If you go all home games, most of our aways are on the box and for the one or two that aren't you can watch on a decent stream. Only issue is the cost, can't really see them bumping up prices and pricing out people who already struggle to get by as it is.

Offline stevo7

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Direct Action Now
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2012, 06:52:01 pm »
How I would love an ITV digital collapse of Sky as Premier league sides negoiate thier own online content deals, worldwide.

Hope it happens before Mudoch is in the grave.

Offline Babel Time

• "Gezza job!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2012, 06:56:01 pm »
Yeah. Much like getting shat on from a great height while a second party comes in and punches you in the bollocks.

Ideally I was hoping that they would shit on each other whilst punching themsleves in the balls. Then again sometimes I am a tad too optimistic.

In all seriousness, as many have pointeed out, this will only be benefical if they show the same matches. Then again if the curently available matches (+maybe a few more) were to be split among three providers with zero overlap it would be a fucking nightmare. For some reason anti-monopoly laws/regulations don't seem to apply in this instance.
Babel Time (n) Difference in time between supporters calling for player to come from the bench in a bid to change the game, and the time it takes the supporters to round on said substitute after he's come on and proved ineffectual. ...

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2012, 07:00:25 pm »
Sky's technology is their biggest strength now.  It used to be all about the football, but not now.

Sky Plus, the HD channels etc. are their biggest USP's.

If another channel had the rights, they would need cable and satellite broadcasters to air their channel, so people would still sign up to it, they would 'just' have to give the rights winner a fee for each subscription.

The effect it will all have is that prices to view all premierleague matches would be ridiculous (if they aren't already) as you'd pay for Sky Sports and the new channel.

The biggest threat to Sky is online streaming.  Broadcasting through their satellite network could become redundant, but I think we're some way from that yet, as the current internet structure couldn't cope with the quality of image that we get through cable and satellite.

In the short term, be prepared to pay out a load if you want all the football on your TV in 18 months time.

Better boxes that sky + on the market now. Sky haven't advanced that at all.

HD is available with others just that sky charge for HD which is a total joke

Sky have no USPS apart from their channels- lose football at they're fucked.

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2012, 07:04:07 pm »
I watch LFC games on Al Jazeera now, on LOF and FSS.

Offline greenone

• Dai Clarkson Dai Dai!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Some people believe in Jesus I believe in Ian Rush
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2012, 07:16:13 pm »
How I would love an ITV digital collapse of Sky as Premier league sides negoiate thier own online content deals, worldwide.

Hope it happens before Mudoch is in the grave.
Yeah, because that works really well in Spain.  ::)

We'd do well out of it but it would destroy the small sembalance of competetion in the League completely bar the few at the top.
“A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing.” – Bill Shankly

Offline INABITSKI

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2012, 07:21:00 pm »

We'd do well out of it but it would destroy the small sembalance of competetion in the League completely bar the few at the top.

Worth a read.

http://swissramble.blogspot.com/search/label/Liverpool

Offline greenone

• Dai Clarkson Dai Dai!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2012, 07:27:00 pm »
Worth a read.

http://swissramble.blogspot.com/search/label/Liverpool
It should be altered to be based on league postion. My point is we don't want to end up like Spain where you have Barca and Real making shitloads and the rest of the league barely making enough from TV revenue to pay the electric bill.
“A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing.” – Bill Shankly

Offline stevo7

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Direct Action Now
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2012, 07:28:35 pm »

That was destroyed when Utd became a PLC and the 1st divsion became the Premier League. Sky destroyed a competitive league no matter how they sell it.
So karma when they go bust.

I loved it when QPR, Ipswich, Derby, Watford throughout the70's & 80's challenged, based on the managers ability to build and organise a team.

Offline greenone

• Dai Clarkson Dai Dai!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2012, 07:30:26 pm »
I loved it when QPR, Ipswich, Derby, Watford throughout the70's & 80's challenged, based on the managers ability to build and organise a team.
And you think scrapping the collective TV agreement will help bring that back?

Offline INABITSKI

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2012, 07:34:54 pm »
It should be altered to be based on league postion. My point is we don't want to end up like Spain where you have Barca and Real making shitloads and the rest of the league barely making enough from TV revenue to pay the electric bill.

Yeah I know, which is what that article goes into detail about. But with the clubs over here expecting more money from over seas rights. We make more than clubs down the bottom of the league based on the fact we are shown more and they get the bare minimum amount of games.

Offline stevo7

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Direct Action Now
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2012, 07:37:33 pm »
And you think scrapping the collective TV agreement will help bring that back?

And do you think that those teams ever have a chance of finishing 2nd ever again under Sky?
Skys business model is based on the big teams remaining in the top 4 - otherwise overseas revenue will be affected.
Sky couldnt have sold the 1st Divsion with Man Utd getting relegated. 

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2012, 07:42:23 pm »
Just for the record, Al Jazeera bought the Arab Radio & Television Network (ART) who had the exclusive rights for the 2010 World Cup for about 2 billion Euros to show the following three World Cup, if they want to take the broadcasting rights of the Premier League and they're really keen to do that and become the number 1 sports network worldwide, it would be too easy for them to be honest.

If I were Sky, I'd have a lot of worries about my future.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline greenone

• Dai Clarkson Dai Dai!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2012, 07:45:51 pm »
And do you think that those teams ever have a chance of finishing 2nd ever again under Sky?
Skys business model is based on the big teams remaining in the top 4 - otherwise overseas revenue will be affected.
Sky couldnt have sold the 1st Divsion with Man Utd getting relegated.
Sky doesn't give a shit about overseas revenue. They only hold the UK rights, hence the legal battle with Karen Murphy about using foreign decoders in the UK.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2012, 08:00:26 pm »
It would just cost me more money. I'd have to have sky just to access the channel then whatever amounts they want monthly on top of my subscription like espn (which I refuse to pay for).

Or have I got this completely wrong?

Offline stevo7

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Direct Action Now
« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2012, 08:04:04 pm »
Sky doesn't give a shit about overseas revenue. They only hold the UK rights, hence the legal battle with Karen Murphy about using foreign decoders in the UK.

Apologies - the Premier League business model is based on the big teams remaining in the top 4 - otherwise overseas revenue will be affected.
Skys business model is based on the big teams remaining in the top 4 - otherwise subscriptions & advertsiing revenue would be affected.

Again do you think that those teams ever have a chance of finishing 2nd ever again under Sky?

Offline stevo7

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Direct Action Now
« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2012, 08:06:02 pm »
It would just cost me more money. I'd have to have sky just to access the channel then whatever amounts they want monthly on top of my subscription like espn (which I refuse to pay for).

Or have I got this completely wrong?

I've watched nearly every Liverpool game for last 4 years when I havent gone the match. Never had Sky. All watched online for free.

Offline greenone

• Dai Clarkson Dai Dai!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2012, 08:21:34 pm »
Apologies - the Premier League business model is based on the big teams remaining in the top 4 - otherwise overseas revenue will be affected.
Skys business model is based on the big teams remaining in the top 4 - otherwise subscriptions & advertsiing revenue would be affected.

Again do you think that those teams ever have a chance of finishing 2nd ever again under Sky?
Have Chealsea always been one of the top 4 since the the start of the Premiership? No. City? They were in the 3rd Division. Liverpool? No (sadly). Spurs? No. Arsenal? No although not far off. I don't remember the Premier League complaining about their business model failing.
Back in the day Sky was based soley on the football but they have diversified into other areas so that these days the football coverage is the cherry on the cake not the base of the cake itself.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2012, 08:27:54 pm »
Sky have no USPS apart from their channels- lose football at they're fucked.
do you reckon loads of people will switch from sky boxes if al jazeera or whoever has a PL channel on the sky platform? reckon the ones that could fuck them is google/apple tv getting broadband rights and offering them for less than sky sports

Offline Dubit10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: February 28, 2012, 08:35:40 pm »
Please make it happen. Hate everything sky has done to football.
Robbie Fowler is God

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2012, 09:14:20 pm »
do you reckon loads of people will switch from sky boxes if al jazeera or whoever has a PL channel on the sky platform? reckon the ones that could fuck them is google/apple tv getting broadband rights and offering them for less than sky sports

It's a good question.

sky know that for what ever reason they're not advancing or keeping up.

So at last trying to keep current customers happy but creating new big channels such as sky atlantic and the f1 channel. Leave sky and u lose these plus sky 1 and sky sport news.

It's like sky are trying to protect themselves.

However I would drop them like a stone for who ever is showing the footy and I think many others would.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 09:19:56 pm by Fordy »

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2012, 09:22:24 pm »
the qataris now own

malaga
PSG
canal rights to broadcast champions league games in france
just secured rights or are bidding for the ligue 1?
confirmed interest in united and now this

money really does talk

Back in 2008 I worked at a hedge fund in IT (not the money side). One of the partners kept going to Doha like it was popping down to Tesco for a pint of milk

He came back with them backing him to the hilt in a fund for their sovereign wealth. These guys have some serious old money in the coffers and could crush Sky without thinking about it twice

Great  ;D
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2012, 09:24:58 pm »

But I don't think boxes will be an issue here. Would assume Al Jazeera would simply procure channel spaces and carry on via Sky.

The killer blow would be if Al Jazeera just made those sports channels Free to Air.

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline SalisburyRed

• No fun "budding young Tory"!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: February 28, 2012, 09:27:09 pm »
The killer blow would be if Al Jazeera just made those sports channels Free to Air.

Why would they do that? They wouldn't make as much money from advertising as they would from subscriptions and they would also likely have to pay a premium for the rights. Why would the Premier League want to sell rights to a broadcaster who's going to show the games free-to-air, knowing that that would mean the games could be watched for free all over Europe?

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #104 on: February 28, 2012, 09:34:07 pm »
surely if the Al Jazeera did win the rights they could just broadcast the games online and get around having to use Sky etc to distribute the matches the way they do with ESPN now and cut Sky completely out of the equation.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: February 28, 2012, 09:37:59 pm »
Why would they do that? They wouldn't make as much money from advertising as they would from subscriptions and they would also likely have to pay a premium for the rights. Why would the Premier League want to sell rights to a broadcaster who's going to show the games free-to-air, knowing that that would mean the games could be watched for free all over Europe?

It would be a great way to piss Sky off  ;D

I don't think the PL would give 2 shits if they got the money as to whether a game was on a free to air channel or subscription based like Sky on the basis of money talking

Offline SalisburyRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: February 28, 2012, 09:39:56 pm »

I don't think the PL would give 2 shits if they got the money as to whether a game was on a free to air channel or subscription based like Sky on the basis of money talking

They would because one channel showing games free-to-air would reduce the amount that other broadcasters would be willing to pay.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: February 28, 2012, 09:40:46 pm »
They would because one channel showing games free-to-air would reduce the amount that other broadcasters would be willing to pay.

If they were beating Sky the amount to pay would be much higher than it is now to get that right in the first place

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: February 28, 2012, 09:40:52 pm »

if it was free to air in the UK then it could easily be picked up for free in other european countries. that would mean satellite companies in europe would not be willing to pay for the rights to show the PL if their customers can get it for free.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2012, 09:41:27 pm »
Please make it happen. Hate everything sky has done to football.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: February 28, 2012, 09:44:58 pm »
if it was free to air in the UK then it could easily be picked up for free in other european countries. that would mean satellite companies in europe would not be willing to pay for the rights to show the PL if their customers can get it for free.

I might be missing something here but don't think i've ever got all UK based FTA channels in say France/Germany

I haven't actually gone looking either. I would have thought the only persons who could recieve would be those on Astra 28.2?

Offline SalisburyRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: February 28, 2012, 09:48:49 pm »
I might be missing something here but don't think i've ever got all UK based FTA channels in say France/Germany

I haven't actually gone looking either. I would have thought the only persons who could recieve would be those on Astra 28.2?

FTA channels in Western, Central and Eastern Europe tend to be on 13E or 19.2E; Scandinavian channels tend to be on 0.8W or 4.8E. The vast majority of satellite viewers in Europe will not have their dishes trained on 28.2E and won't have motorised dishes. But if people who enjoyed watching Premier League football knew they could do so for free simply by installing a motor on their dish and buying a FTA decoder, I reckon many of them would be on it like a shot.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: February 28, 2012, 09:52:12 pm »
FTA channels in Western, Central and Eastern Europe tend to be on 13E or 19.2E; Scandinavian channels tend to be on 0.8W or 4.8E. The vast majority of satellite viewers in Europe will not have their dishes trained on 28.2E and won't have motorised dishes. But if people who enjoyed watching Premier League football knew they could do so for free simply by installing a motor on their dish and buying a FTA decoder, I reckon many of them would be on it like a shot.

Understood but FTA in the UK is on Astra/Eurobird 28.2E no?

It's a hypothetical though in the case of free to air. It would, as stated, be great to piss off Sky.

I wouldn't be able to advocate it as a viable ongoing business model (unless you really don't give two hoots about the money!)

Offline Rotation

• fuck u. Rory's biggest fan.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pepe Reina is a Scouser...
« Reply #113 on: February 28, 2012, 10:06:19 pm »
But at this point the league will become imbalanced due to foreign ownership. If I had to chose between the two I'd rather see us get our fair shake as I think we would get the best deal bar United.
ynwa

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #114 on: February 28, 2012, 10:10:46 pm »
surely if the Al Jazeera did win the rights they could just broadcast the games online and get around having to use Sky etc to distribute the matches the way they do with ESPN now and cut Sky completely out of the equation.

Are you serious, how many people over 40 watch matches via streams?

Online lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #115 on: February 28, 2012, 11:25:19 pm »

Apple TV getting football would be very very interesting. Imagine no subscription fees and maybe paying £4.99 per match or something?
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Wish Matrix

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: iWant! Apple stalk TV deal for Premier League
« Reply #116 on: February 29, 2012, 12:47:23 am »
DO NOT WANT
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him (Jurgen Klopp) as the next Liverpool manager

Offline NatD

• Takes offence at authors and people who eat in restaurants.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: iWant! Apple stalk TV deal for Premier League
« Reply #117 on: February 29, 2012, 04:05:19 am »
Happy Days - Al Jazz costs me 5 quid a month so no complaints from me!!!

"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline Redshadow

• Legacy Fan
  • Wir schaffen es diesmal mit Herrn Klopp
« Reply #118 on: February 29, 2012, 04:31:15 am »
Anything that can end that evil's empire is a god thing, no?
Whatever an education is, it should make you a unique individual, not a conformist; it should furnish you with an original spirit to tackle big challenges; it should allow you to find values to road map through life; it should make you spiritually rich, a person who loves whatever you are doing, wherever you are.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: February 29, 2012, 08:09:50 am »
That was destroyed when Utd became a PLC and the 1st divsion became the Premier League. Sky destroyed a competitive league no matter how they sell it.
So karma when they go bust.

So we make it even less competitive by giving the bigger clubs an extra £50m+ a year on TV rights alone, boss.
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012