Author Topic: Prometheus: Ridley Scott's Alien Prequel  (Read 102065 times)

Online Mercer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Prometheus: Ridley Scott's Alien Prequel
« Reply #1920 on: December 24, 2012, 08:45:11 pm »
I watched it a month ago for the 2nd time since seeing it at the cinema on the 2nd day. Doesn;t get any better to be honest. The movie doesn't flow for me, like a lot of the scenes are tacked to together to try and force a story together.

About sums it up for me. It had so much potential to be a top movie as well.

A poor mans Event Horizon.

Online Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #1921 on: December 28, 2012, 10:46:38 am »
My take: Anything that Lindelohf touches turns to cack. The guy is full of himself and thinks he g'gets it'. But he doesn't, and is an asshole. The sooner studios and directors realise it, the better it will be for cinephiles.

I hope Scott makes amends and turns a better second part to the movie.
The movie/idea is not as bad as people are making it out. Fassbender is very good too.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #1922 on: December 28, 2012, 12:51:28 pm »
My take: Anything that Lindelohf touches turns to cack. The guy is full of himself and thinks he g'gets it'. But he doesn't, and is an asshole. The sooner studios and directors realise it, the better it will be for cinephiles.

I hope Scott makes amends and turns a better second part to the movie.
The movie/idea is not as bad as people are making it out. Fassbender is very good too.

I don't think anyone had a problem with the idea (the scenario had promise) but plenty with the movie and rightly so. I was disappointed but enjoyed it when I saw it at the cinema (as I've already stated in this thread way back) and filled in lots of the gaps myself (presumptions on my part, which may well have been incorrect) as I watched but on second viewing it at home, fuck me the wheels came off. Which surprised me at the time, I thought knowing it didn't meet my expections but having still enjoyed it, thought second time around with those expectations now not an issue it would get better.

It didn't.

Whereas on first viewing, as I said, I filled in the gaps and overlooked issues as I so wanted it to be a good movie, on second viewing you're not as forgiving and it really was piss poor all told. I've watched it four times now, trying my hardest to like it but with every viewing it gets worse and worse, it really does. Many of the problems for other people aren't my problems with it - eg the black goo etc - but the terrible acting by most of the cast, the lack of good/interesting/developed characters, the awful scripting, ridiculous dialogue, laughable scenarios are my main problems with it. In other words, all things you'd expect to see in a decent movie regardless of subject matter.
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Prometheus: Ridley Scott's Alien Prequel
« Reply #1923 on: December 29, 2012, 09:11:04 pm »
From the interviews and background stuff it seems that Scott is just as guilty of fucking it up as Lindelof. He brought him on to it change Spaits script with all his stupid ideas.

See also how badly he fucked up that fantastic Robin Hood script.
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #1924 on: December 30, 2012, 07:20:16 am »
I thought it was alright, personally. It was never going to live up to the hype surrounding it, but I thought it was ok. Just a mindless film to watch, really.

Shite though. Bought the 6-disc Anthology on Blu-Ray at the start of December. I can comfortably say that Aliens is absolutely rubbish. For me it's comfortably the worst of the four. Typical, brain-dead action film, with all the subtlety of Jimmy Saville. The Aliens in it are simply expendable and carry no singular threat as they did in the other films. And how did that kid hide from the sheer volume of Aliens on the planet? In that little room Sigourney Weaver enters by removing a single vent cover?

Truly a bad effort from Cameron.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #1925 on: January 3, 2013, 10:35:21 am »
dissapointing, bit like pulling a stunner only to find out later shes got bollocks
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #1926 on: January 3, 2013, 11:23:56 pm »
dissapointing, bit like pulling a stunner only to find out later shes got bollocks
NO! that's more shocking!!
What you mean it's like pulling a stunner to find she's passive when it matters most
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #1927 on: January 4, 2013, 01:28:43 am »
NO! that's more shocking!!
What you mean it's like pulling a stunner to find she's passive when it matters most
you slipped Ridley Scott a Mickey?
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1928 on: January 7, 2013, 07:00:06 pm »
Watched this yesterday. Twice, just to check I wasn't being thick. Disappointing.

Then I read the whole of this thread, and stumbled across that earlier version of the script. Miles better. Not perfect, but so many more promising avenues explored.

But really, I still can't believe I watched all the bluray extras and there was no scene of stringer bell banging charlize theron. Boo!
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Another Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1929 on: January 8, 2013, 01:38:13 am »

But I would argue that Scott hasn't really been a top director in a long, long time.  Sure American Gangster and Gladiator were kinda OK, but Scott hasn't directed a great movie in over 30 years so I'm not exactly sure why people were expecting something much better than his most recent duds.  Because of that, and because I am not a huge fan of the Alien mythology, I quickly realized the movie was going to be no more than muddled eye candy and went along for the ride.

I agree with all of that. Prometheus was disappointing in the same way Hannibal was. I watched this not knowing there was a connection with the Alien films. It was interesting to begin with and the visuals are certainly spectacular, but it fell apart as the film wore on. 

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #1930 on: January 8, 2013, 01:40:54 pm »
In a way, there's something of a positive note hidden within having witnessed the decline (of sorts) of a Great Movie Director over a couple of decades... it leads you to begin to truly appreciate what a concerted, gestalt effort making a cinematic masterpiece is.

At 15, having been utterly blown away when first experiencing it (the original release cut) around 7 years old, I went out to HMV in Town and bought Blade Runner: The Director's Cut (still pretty much the definitive version for me) on VHS with about £16 of my own pocket money. It was part of Warner Home Video's Maverick Directors series; some of you probably bought that one too I imagine, it looks like this:

Warner released quite a few class flicks under that particular label - I was properly getting into my films then, and I still remember going and buying Badlands, Don't Look Now, Pee Wee's Big Adventure, True Romance, The Man Who Fell To Earth, and the Director's cut of The Wild Bunch all from the same series. Cost me over a hundred quid overall, but an awesome little video sub-collection nonetheless, and there were a few others in the run too like Deliverance and Performance that my pockets just couldn't stretch to.

Anyway, if you take a look at that packaging, it's The Director's Cut of a Sci-Fi 'Masterpiece' released on the Maverick Directors label, and if you asked me back then who "made" Blade Runner, I would have instantly answered The Peerless Visionary Genius Ridley Scott. But today, I think it's the one film out of all of those I bought with the least sense of 'one man's vision' about it. It's still my favourite by lightyears, but I now consider it to be the collaborative artistic fruit of Syd Mead, Douglas Trumbull, Jordan Cronenweth, David Snyder, Lawrence Paull, Hampton Fancher, David Peoples, Terry Rawlings, Vangelis, Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, and countless other cast & crew members whose ingenuity and improvisation significantly shaped the final, perfect product, with Ridley being the creative manager overseeing it all, demanding constant excellence and stubbornly carrying it to completion against all obstacles. Scott gets his name plastered all over it, but it's no more his very own "master's piece" than can our European Cups be considered entirely down to Paisley/Fagan/Benitez alone. Ridley Scott had helped assemble a phenomenally talented side for both Blade Runner and Alien [Giger, Cobb, Foss, Goldsmith, etc.], and it's his Keegans, Dalglishes & Gerrards (and Kennedys, Faircloughs & Biscans) whose art and industry brought it all to fruition.

Point I'm making, is Ridley Scott ever such a visionary without an assortment of absolute visionaries-in-their-field doing the groundwork for him? A true classic of any genre seems to - more often than not - require a variety of brilliant creative minds all contributing at the very top of their game, under the leadership of a shrewd, resourceful, resolute figurehead (a la Kubrick), along with that strange magic of shit just coming together at the right time & place. I believe Ridley needs to sprinkle his auteur glitter on the solid foundations handcrafted by clever artisans and wordsmiths, reining in the movie mogul megalomania and paying closer attention to the all-important little details (like he once was famed for), if he's ever to reach anything like the artistic heights he scaled with the work his Big Industry Name is built upon. There seems to be this sort of creative 'laziness' that pervades his stuff of recent years, like "oh that'll do, it'll all look so slick they won't notice", whereas he used to demand take after take after take to achieve utter perfection, brilliantly pissing everyone off in the process; that's what makes it so much more disappointing - that was his thing, what helped make him one of that collection of 'Maverick Directors', the seal of quality craftmanship that had fairly come to be expected of him. Essentially, he needs to get back to doing his due dilligence.

I say all this in anticipation, if that's the word, of his 'Blade Runner sequel', coming hot off the heels of the 30th anniversary, which I'm sure will have the studio especially eager to get it rushed out while the iron's hot, while there's still a renewed exploitable surge in interest. Hopefully, those who also worked on the original (if any are even hired again!!) will want to protect their legacy, and with any luck can themselves exercise better creative quality control than seems to have happened on this not-Alien quasi-prequel.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1931 on: May 24, 2013, 11:17:03 am »
Very late coming to the party but my 15yr old lad insisted I watch this last night claiming it was all things great.

Maybe I'm just too old and judging this on the original Alien and remember what an epic film it was. I really liked 'Aliens' too. But this film left me completely underwhelmed.  The whole sequence with Noomi Repace performing the Caesarean section was frankly laughable it its utter ridiculousness.

The guy who played her love interest Holloway was useless. I thought I recognized him as he played the detective in 'Devil' which i watched the night before! He was quite good in that.

I did think Michael Fassbender as David was very good and stole the show from an acting perspective.  Idris Elba was average and Charleze Theron is simply stunning which was a bonus.

The film, doesn't really feel like a film, it feels like a cut scene from a computer game, with the human interaction, cut out.

Totally agree with this and thought the whole sequence where David discovers the control Room and Star Map was something I've seen on numerous Xbox cut scenes.

Gonna download 'Alien' today and make my son watch it and appreciate classic film making.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1932 on: May 24, 2013, 11:42:57 am »
Very late coming to the party but my 15yr old lad insisted I watch this last night claiming it was all things great.

Maybe I'm just too old and judging this on the original Alien and remember what an epic film it was. I really liked 'Aliens' too. But this film left me completely underwhelmed.  The whole sequence with Noomi Repace performing the Caesarean section was frankly laughable it its utter ridiculousness.

The guy who played her love interest Holloway was useless. I thought I recognized him as he played the detective in 'Devil' which i watched the night before! He was quite good in that.

I did think Michael Fassbender as David was very good and stole the show from an acting perspective.  Idris Elba was average and Charleze Theron is simply stunning which was a bonus.

Totally agree with this and thought the whole sequence where David discovers the control Room and Star Map was something I've seen on numerous Xbox cut scenes.

Gonna download 'Alien' today and make my son watch it and appreciate classic film making.

The film, doesn't really feel like a film, it feels like a cut scene from a computer game, with the human interaction, cut out.

Did I say this?

Blimey, that was a good shout, goodness gracious me.
Continually on 11,420.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1933 on: May 24, 2013, 11:45:50 am »
Only watched this for the first time myself last week, got to say I'm glad I skipped going the cinema to see it as didn't think it was all that good.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #1934 on: May 24, 2013, 11:46:33 am »

The Alien blu-ray rip looks like the film was shot yesterday. Top visual quality. Get on that!

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #1935 on: May 24, 2013, 11:49:14 am »
Only watched this for the first time myself last week, got to say I'm glad I skipped going the cinema to see it as didn't think it was all that good.

I found it better in the cinema than when I rewatched it on DVD
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1936 on: May 24, 2013, 11:51:25 am »

I imagine it would of made it seem better (then again I was watching it on a 59" screen with surround sound) but I just found the storyline a little disappointing.

I don't know if it was one of those where I was expecting too much and it just failed to live up to that. Maybe if I'd of not known anything about it and just watched it after finding it 5 minutes earlier it may of been much better.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1937 on: May 24, 2013, 11:56:51 am »
The Alien blu-ray rip looks like the film was shot yesterday. Top visual quality. Get on that!

Second that. Absolutely stunning.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #1938 on: May 24, 2013, 12:26:14 pm »
Hahaha, just reading through my rambling, heavy-sighing posts in this thread - I really was absolutely gutted, almost livid at the waste of it all; a ginormous budget & understandable hype machine, Scott's sci-fi 'pedigree', the great Fassbender & Elba at the top of their game, etc. All just... wasted.

"You Maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you, God damn you all to hell!"

It is cinematic, I'll give it that. That Icelandic landscape especially, it's all pretty visually arresting when you see it for the first time in IMAX 3D.

Unfortunately, the utterly raw, real beauty of all that contrasts quite heavily with the more in-your-face CG effects sequences, which were simply not quite sophisticated enough to seem as convincingly 'organic' in that format. Would have been a better move to use mostly physical fx with CG touch-ups for detail, shot cleverly to make the most of that big screen. But then, I end up saying pretty much the same for most modern sci-fi-horror flicks; the studios just don't seem to get that CGI just isn't quite 'there' yet to be able to do it all well.
And of course, that wouldn't have saved the plot/script, which is as perplexing as the one for Indy 4 (which doesn't exist, and now never will) in terms of being OK'd by everyone involved for such a highly-anticipated landmark cinema event. Surely someone, somewhere realised that something like this needs to be given a good storyline and rich characters, at the very least, before it's worth even getting it off the ground in the first place? The idea that they worked on it for years, "tweaking" it to "perfection", is frankly laughable.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #1939 on: May 24, 2013, 01:41:03 pm »
I try desperately to like this movie, it has so many things that COULD have been brilliant in it, but it just doesn't work.

Has anyone thought that the story is almost a direct rip-off of Alien v Predator too?
As awful as that movie is, it's the same story.

Old Billionaire (Weyland) is interested in old artifacts, recruits team of archaeologists etc to help him track down old temples and then ends up being killed by the thing he was looking for.

The scene where they explain the markings they found in an old hangar is almost identical too.
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #1940 on: May 24, 2013, 02:04:30 pm »
@Andy - It is still rubbish.

So rubbish that they are struggling to get together a story for the sequel, which will have to have one of the great screenplays of all time to explain what the hell was going on AND still come up with a decent science fiction story of its own.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #1941 on: May 24, 2013, 02:07:29 pm »
A sequel for this must be dead in the water by now, surely? Absolutely no one wants to see it.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1942 on: May 24, 2013, 02:15:40 pm »
A sequel for this must be dead in the water by now, surely? Absolutely no one wants to see it.

Its a license to print money. Prometheus was a bit hit and miss. Wasn't dreadful, wasn't nearly as good as it could have been. A sequel directed by Scott and starring the same two would easily make hundreds of millions. Its still prequel'ish to Alien, people would go and watch it to see if they make any further connections, or get further away, or actually deliver on the promise of the premise of the original!
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1943 on: May 24, 2013, 02:29:03 pm »
Its a license to print money. Prometheus was a bit hit and miss. Wasn't dreadful, wasn't nearly as good as it could have been. A sequel directed by Scott and starring the same two would easily make hundreds of millions. Its still prequel'ish to Alien, people would go and watch it to see if they make any further connections, or get further away, or actually deliver on the promise of the premise of the original!

And Ridley Scott has a lot of business capital as well, he has a strong fanbase with a strong name in Hollywood.

Prometheus 2 is in the works, and as much as #1 was hit and miss, hardcore Alien fans, as well as Sci-Fi fans would go and see it. As  El Lobon said, it's free money.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Factor Winner 2012 - it's a rap, folks!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1944 on: May 24, 2013, 02:32:31 pm »

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1945 on: May 24, 2013, 02:41:58 pm »
For the record, I still think Jesus was an Alien.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl2t1T79Y_U

You know, my account must get hacked every once so often, because do I fuck remember posting that.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1946 on: May 24, 2013, 02:43:51 pm »
You know, my account must get hacked every once so often, because do I fuck remember posting that.

Actually I think you've posted that before, and I posted the same video in response.  :o

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #1947 on: May 24, 2013, 02:49:02 pm »
I thought it was alright, personally. It was never going to live up to the hype surrounding it, but I thought it was ok. Just a mindless film to watch, really.

Shite though. Bought the 6-disc Anthology on Blu-Ray at the start of December. I can comfortably say that Aliens is absolutely rubbish. For me it's comfortably the worst of the four. Typical, brain-dead action film, with all the subtlety of Jimmy Saville. The Aliens in it are simply expendable and carry no singular threat as they did in the other films. And how did that kid hide from the sheer volume of Aliens on the planet? In that little room Sigourney Weaver enters by removing a single vent cover?

Truly a bad effort from Cameron.

This just proves what a broach church of opinions is out there and rightly so. I'd consider Aliens to be one of the best action sequels of recent decades. As would many people. It has a great script, full of sharp one-liners and secondary characters that are interesting (see: Prometheus for how to fuck that up). It has tension building and building and building and great action set-pieces which build on the claustrophobic nature of Alien. Best of you all can say about Aliens is that Cameron knew NOT to make the same film again. If the first one was a ghost ship story, the second was a war movie.

And all the better for it. 
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1948 on: May 24, 2013, 02:52:15 pm »
I just remembered this film got made and released, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1949 on: May 24, 2013, 02:52:24 pm »
This just proves what a broach church of opinions is out there and rightly so. I'd consider Aliens to be one of the best action sequels of recent decades. As would many people. It has a great script, full of sharp one-liners and secondary characters that are interesting (see: Prometheus for how to fuck that up). It has tension building and building and building and great action set-pieces which build on the claustrophobic nature of Alien. Best of you all can say about Aliens is that Cameron knew NOT to make the same film again. If the first one was a ghost ship story, the second was a war movie.

Yeah, agreed. Game over, man, Game over is iconic. One of my favorite action films ever.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1950 on: May 24, 2013, 02:56:32 pm »
Actually I think you've posted that before, and I posted the same video in response.  :o

Well I think all that's left to say about that is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imamcajBEJs
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1951 on: May 24, 2013, 02:59:15 pm »

Good points.

I think Aliens is pretty much the perfect example of how movie's can be Franchised so to speak. I'm not too sure and I'd have to dig around, but I think Aliens could well be the first franchise, could it not?

Continually on 11,420.

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #1952 on: May 24, 2013, 03:47:35 pm »
but I think Aliens could well be the first franchise, could it not?

Star Wars? Star Trek?
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1953 on: May 24, 2013, 03:54:29 pm »
Star Wars? Star Trek?

Star Wars. Star Trek and Alien both came out two years after A New Hope in 1979.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1954 on: May 24, 2013, 04:05:06 pm »
Star Wars? Star Trek?

Maybe I'd better explain myself better.

I kind of meant Franchise as in like a business Franchise. I know what you mean, Star Wars and Star Trek are better movie franchises.

For me, from a film perspective and a business perspective, Alien/Aliens feels like a franchise in the business sense of the word. Alien was a canon for Aliens, and I'm pretty sure Dan O'Bannon didn't envision a trilogy, quadrilogy or even Prometheus, as following the Script that he'd originally created.

I know the same could be said with regards to Star Trek and possibly Star Wars (I do actually wonder if Star Wars was initially devised or developed to be/into a Trilogy), but they where essentially crafted by the same production companies where they not? A series of films, developed from one another.

Aliens felt like a franchise as in, a company had seen how well the concept or model had worked, and then licenced that model in order to develop a film based on the original. Aliens does actually feel like it was the first big Franchise, in the sense of what I'm talking about.

Further down the line, we've seen this happen with the likes of 28 Days Later (Fox Searchlight), Donnie Darko, The Fly, Paranormal Activity, albeit, Aliens being far more successful here. I kind of guess I would say that, The Office, for example, would be a franchise in the same sense of what I'm talking about.

Do you get what I mean, am I making sense? This is a subjective point of view and I've not really got anything to back it up, but I kind of know what I mean.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 04:09:22 pm by Shauno »
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #1955 on: May 24, 2013, 04:12:22 pm »
Prometheus stank the place out. I recently watched it again, and it still sucks. However, over $400 million worldwide gross. Probably enough to green light the sequel. Intrigued to see how this will pan out. A morose scientist carrying a dismembered head in a duffle bag, fighting giants on an alien world.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1956 on: May 24, 2013, 06:44:34 pm »
I watched it a month ago for the 2nd time since seeing it at the cinema on the 2nd day. Doesn;t get any better to be honest. The movie doesn't flow for me, like a lot of the scenes are tacked to together to try and force a story together.

Will get around to reading Spaights script later, but Honeysuckers post is making it look pretty ominous in something that we knew all along once reviews were filtering through after the premiere.

Apparently the blu-ray version is much better, with a lot of stuff that was taken out for the cinema release being put back in, and the movie makes a lot more sense.
Anyone seen it?

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1957 on: May 24, 2013, 06:48:10 pm »
Apparently the blu-ray version is much better, with a lot of stuff that was taken out for the cinema release being put back in, and the movie makes a lot more sense.
Anyone seen it?

Yeah, I didn't notice too much a difference.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1958 on: May 24, 2013, 07:34:02 pm »
Anyone seen it?

Yep, makes very little difference (if any.)

Some scenes add a bit more but there are still to many plotholes to actually enjoy the film.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1959 on: May 24, 2013, 08:16:48 pm »
No one can deny that it is beautifully shot though. It's one of the prettiest films that I've seen in a long, long time.

The Scottish bird is irritating, and Fyfield is a bad prick, Noomi Rapace's character is a terrible copy of Ripley and David, whist good, is no match for Bishop and Ash, but beats Call.

Continually on 11,420.