Author Topic: Prometheus: Ridley Scott's Alien Prequel  (Read 102022 times)

Offline sparkiemark73

• Legacy Fan
  • Hairway to Steven
Re: Prometheus: Ridley Scott's Alien Prequel
« Reply #1800 on: October 5, 2012, 03:10:16 pm »
"Here's Dalglish...........Oh and a goal!!"
PSN - sparkness08

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #1801 on: October 5, 2012, 04:32:51 pm »
Do you mean the part where they examine the paraphyletic organism in the petri dish just before the lifeboat returned?

There can be no such thing as paraphyletic organism because the term paraphyletic refers to a taxonimic group (that contains some but not all of the descendants of common ancestors, as opposed to a clade or monophyletic group which contains all of the descendants of common ancestors).

e.g. Mammals.

e.g Dinosaurs - birds and reptiles are descendants of them but not included in the taxonomic group Dinosauria.

You're not going to win any arguments about this film trying to use science Andy :D

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1802 on: October 5, 2012, 04:37:53 pm »
There can be no such thing as paraphyletic organism because the term paraphyletic refers to a taxonimic group (that contains some but not all of the descendants of common ancestors, as opposed to a clade or monophyletic group which contains all of the descendants of common ancestors).

e.g. Mammals.

e.g Dinosaurs - birds and reptiles are descendants of them but not included in the taxonomic group Dinosauria.

You're not going to win any arguments about this film trying to use science Andy :D

Oh dear. Schoolboy Error. Read the last three posts which were all to come out with the fishy dishy joke.

I thought it was a little wormy thing. Wormy thing beats fishy thing. See Team 17 for details.

Do you mean the part where they examine the paraphyletic organism in the petri dish just before the lifeboat returned?

Sorry. My mistake I thought they examined a little fishy on a little dishy before the boat came in.

To clarify. There was no fish, no lifeboat and indeed no petri dish..
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Flaccid Bobby Fowler

• Supports the No To Racism campaign. Good lad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • *****In Istanbul, we won it 5 times*****
« Reply #1803 on: October 5, 2012, 04:44:02 pm »

e.g. Mammals.

hahah i tried to catch andy but hooked someone else instead  ;D

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #1804 on: October 5, 2012, 04:45:10 pm »
No Andy I read all that. There's no such phrase as paraphyletic organism. It's gibberish. That's all.

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #1805 on: October 5, 2012, 04:45:56 pm »
Nope you didn't hook me Bobby Fowler, try again.

Offline sparkiemark73

• Legacy Fan
  • Hairway to Steven
« Reply #1806 on: October 5, 2012, 04:52:16 pm »
No Andy I read all that. There's no such phrase as paraphyletic organism. It's gibberish. That's all.

You're in too deep son. Too deep.
PSN - sparkness08

Offline RojoLeón

• Brentie's #1 fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1807 on: October 5, 2012, 07:55:04 pm »
This film's shite - Lets slash the seats

Offline Ferg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1808 on: October 7, 2012, 12:44:36 am »
Just finished watching it. Was ok, but wouldn't watch it again.
Who wouldn't want to kick someone called Ferguson?
Quote from: Rafa Benitez
A big heart has space for everyone.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1809 on: October 7, 2012, 12:58:31 am »
I watched this in the cinema and I didn't think a lot of it.  I watched it again recently and I enjoyed it a fair bit more.  I think it's a perfectly entertaining film as long as you don't dig too deep, once you do that it unravels pretty quickly.  It's not in the same league as Alien, or Bladerunner for that matter, but then Ridley Scott will probably never achieve that level of greatness again.

In my opinion it's enjoyable nonsense, I'll buy the Bluray as it is a stunning looking film.

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Prometheus: Ridley Scott's Alien Prequel
« Reply #1810 on: October 8, 2012, 09:45:56 pm »
Interesting interview with the original writer. Unsurprisingly most of his ideas sound better than what we ended up with

http://www.empireonline.com/interviews/interview.asp?IID=1563

The chestburster scene sounds like it would have been amazing!
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1811 on: October 8, 2012, 10:03:09 pm »
DVD arrived today. Watched it again. This film just gets better and better. Still struggling to understand peoples 'confusion'.

Ah well. Imagination and thinking isn't for everyone.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #1812 on: October 9, 2012, 01:12:01 am »
Just watched it, not bad

Just have one question really. What was it about?

If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1813 on: October 9, 2012, 01:13:38 am »
Just watched it, not bad

Just have one question really. What was it about?

Whatever you want :)

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #1814 on: October 9, 2012, 01:17:05 am »

Ah well. Imagination and thinking isn't for everyone.
Leave Ridley alone, he's an old man.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1815 on: October 9, 2012, 01:18:29 am »
Whatever you want :)

really good film, but its the first film in the entire library of my watched films I truly believe everyone is following and Ive missed like 10 mins where it all got explained!

Watched cabin in the Woods before that.

Pretty Weird nights film viewing. But enjoyable none the less. Good solid efforts all round :)

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1816 on: October 9, 2012, 01:21:13 am »
really good film, but its the first film in the entire library of my watched films I truly believe everyone is following and Ive missed like 10 mins where it all got explained!

Watched cabin in the Woods before that.

Pretty Weird nights film viewing. But enjoyable none the less. Good solid efforts all round :)

SO many subtle nods to Alien/Aliens. Great when you notice :)

Offline rushyman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1817 on: October 9, 2012, 01:25:15 am »
SO many subtle nods to Alien/Aliens. Great when you notice :)

Yeah I noticed this. Quite a few actually, some subtle some not so

P.S I would like that big baldy bastard as a CB for us. Cant imagine hed lose many headers

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1818 on: October 9, 2012, 01:43:44 am »
Yeah I noticed this. Quite a few actually, some subtle some not so

P.S I would like that big baldy bastard as a CB for us. Cant imagine hed lose many headers

:D

I noticed early on the shape of the hole she cut - same shape as original Alien corridoors and the starting shot on an agle of @whatever@ planet had shapes of the planetoid poster of Alien. And of course the obvious alien music when the old duffer gets up the first time.

This viewing I remembered all the whining about it and watched it with them in mind and they are just mindles guff.

Offline RojoLeón

• Brentie's #1 fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1819 on: October 9, 2012, 03:08:45 am »
If the film was made by college students. or, was an independent feature, starring unknowns. Or, the first attempt at SciFi by a director. Or, had a small budget and was without the fanfare and viral media, marketing bombardment. Maybe, it could be given a bit of leeway.

It's shite - very little in the way of redeeming features. Looks great and had some interesting imagery and themes.

Wooden acting and one dimensional characterizations. I can't think of anyone who came out of this with their reputations enhanced. Poor fuckers, let down by the horrible writing and absent direction.

God awful script. Narrative dissonance - the writer just made shit up as he went along. I like being made to work a little bit; is good when the film doesn't spoon feed you. But this shit is convoluted for the sake of itself - just like Lost. I shouldn't have to go and find out extra stuff that wasn't in the film at all - it should be a self contained mystery.

Ridley Scott is supposed to be one of the best directors in the business - certainly, he has made two of the greatest SciFi films of all time. This is piss-poor. He mailed it in. Fucking joke.

In all, if there was just one or two elements gone awry, you could take it into account and soften your overall judgement. Considering the money, heavy weight direction and production team, star studded cast and formidable marketing (made it out to be the greatest film of it's genre): It sucked. Like a lot of consumerist shite these days, weak product with some celebrity endorsement and massive amounts of promotional hype - little of substance and nothing to savor long-term.

B-Movie without the kitsch charm that that title conveys.

Offline Alphaville

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lucas Lover
« Reply #1820 on: October 9, 2012, 04:06:58 am »
I can't think of anyone who came out of this with their reputations enhanced.
I think Fassbender came out with his reputation enhanced as I found him completely mesmerizing.

I agree with most of the other stuff you were saying, especially this bit:

It's shite - very little in the way of redeeming features. Looks great and had some interesting imagery and themes.

But I would argue that Scott hasn't really been a top director in a long, long time.  Sure American Gangster and Gladiator were kinda OK, but Scott hasn't directed a great movie in over 30 years so I'm not exactly sure why people were expecting something much better than his most recent duds.  Because of that, and because I am not a huge fan of the Alien mythology, I quickly realized the movie was going to be no more than muddled eye candy and went along for the ride.
Check out my friend's band Fevers and their new EP (free to download): http://fevers.bandcamp.com/

Offline RojoLeón

• Brentie's #1 fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1821 on: October 9, 2012, 05:41:02 am »
I think Fassbender came out with his reputation enhanced as I found him completely mesmerizing.

I agree with most of the other stuff you were saying, especially this bit:

But I would argue that Scott hasn't really been a top director in a long, long time.  Sure American Gangster and Gladiator were kinda OK, but Scott hasn't directed a great movie in over 30 years so I'm not exactly sure why people were expecting something much better than his most recent duds.  Because of that, and because I am not a huge fan of the Alien mythology, I quickly realized the movie was going to be no more than muddled eye candy and went along for the ride.

That's quite fair re Fassbender - he is a very good actor and didn't actually do badly at all. I was maybe a bit harsh on the actors - they were locked into the fucking mess and can't be blamed for anything.

And I did have a similar reaction while watching the film - I tried to disengage and let it wash over me. Saying that, there were some proper risible pieces of dialogue and some horrible bits of dissonance where the story just didn't hold together - it was all I could do to not laugh out loud or cringe into my seat.

Not good enough for the money invested and the hype. They had so much potential and squandered almost all of it.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1822 on: October 9, 2012, 08:17:00 am »
That's quite fair re Fassbender - he is a very good actor and didn't actually do badly at all. I was maybe a bit harsh on the actors - they were locked into the fucking mess and can't be blamed for anything.

And I did have a similar reaction while watching the film - I tried to disengage and let it wash over me. Saying that, there were some proper risible pieces of dialogue and some horrible bits of dissonance where the story just didn't hold together - it was all I could do to not laugh out loud or cringe into my seat.

Not good enough for the money invested and the hype. They had so much potential and squandered almost all of it.

Perhaps you shouldn't watch films if they affect you like this.

Probably best to take up crayoning or something.

Offline RojoLeón

• Brentie's #1 fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1823 on: October 9, 2012, 08:28:26 am »
The Andy@A Film rule.

If Andy likes the film, then it probably is complete shite. If he raves about it, against all common sense - Then it definitely is an unholy clusterfuck of a turkey - down there with the worst films ever made. (Worse than that Japanese film you love  ;)

If Andy@A doesn't like the film, then it probably is a work of unparalleled genius.

Glad to see this holding true, once again  :wave

Lost in Prometheus 

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1824 on: October 9, 2012, 11:33:51 am »
The Andy@A Film rule.

If Andy likes the film, then it probably is complete shite. If he raves about it, against all common sense - Then it definitely is an unholy clusterfuck of a turkey - down there with the worst films ever made. (Worse than that Japanese film you love  ;)

If Andy@A doesn't like the film, then it probably is a work of unparalleled genius.

Glad to see this holding true, once again  :wave

Lost in Prometheus 

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1825 on: October 9, 2012, 01:08:07 pm »
Saw it again on Blu-ray last night and enjoyed it.

It actually flowed better on second viewing and feels like a good fun sci-fi romp. There are some great scenes as well as some moments that require some suspension of disbeilef. I think the human interest is slightly lacking and this draws attention to some of the films other shortcomings.

Not a classic for me but some of the criticism seems to be over the top and frenzied.

Offline RojoLeón

• Brentie's #1 fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1826 on: October 9, 2012, 03:58:36 pm »
Bill and Scarlett, attempting to stay awake while watching Prometheus

Prometheus: Worse than Lost in Translation.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #1827 on: October 9, 2012, 04:53:33 pm »
It actually flowed better on second viewing and feels like a good fun sci-fi romp.
That's the thing, see, it didn't for me - if it was jam-packed with mad scenes like the C-section and maybe the nasty worm encounter (I think Fifield's helmet melting and caving in onto his screaming face is a pretty strong image, and it definitely got me a bit excited for the film's visual impact when I saw that bit in the trailers before release), it could've been a rip-roaringly daft classic, sorta like a methed-up Aliens or Predator. But it intentionally didn't go down that route, it wants to be taken quite seriously.
You need to get the balance right; if it's quite a silly film you're making, go for it! Throw in some knowing lines, have a laugh with the format. If it's a weighty, forbidding, profound type of film, you need to cut down a bit on the dumb nonsense or it'll detract from the overall intended effect. Think of any film which gradually builds a very ominous, brooding atmosphere, then something totally stupid and cartoonish happens - it takes you completely out of it. Sometimes that's deliberate, sometimes it works to provide a tiny bit of light relief. Other times, it's completely misplaced and spoils a scene.

Awesome films like Mulholland Drive, Open Your Eyes, the original Norwegian Insomnia, etc. don't explain things to the viewer like they're idiots, they require far more thought and imagination to piece together than a film like Prometheus does, and they create a potent underlying mood that carries the narrative through some very strange sequences indeed. That's not to say Prometheus is even trying to do the kind of things those films were - that'd be an extremely unfair and ridiculous criticism of it - but that comparison certainly pisses all over Andy's obvious-trolling assertion that Prometheus is far too complex, sophisticated and demanding of the viewer's abstractive faculties for crayon-crunching cretins like me and many others here to appreciate.

A film such as this, with so many possibilities given the wellspring of creepy-sexy-cool concepts that is Alien, not to mention the money and talent made available, shouldn't really be defended to the hilt for being 'okay'. It is a kinda enjoyable B-movie... why not create a fantastically bonkers B-movie, then? Toss in all kinds of fascinating leftfield shit, make it as weird and unique as possble. As it stands, it really isn't heaving with original ideas beyond the comprehension of most cinemagoers. There are a couple of good scenes yeah, but so much in it seems rushed, halfarsed. We even have a poster on this thread who actually worked on the film, and he was very disappointed with the end product too. That's the bugbear for many - it's very much a wasted opportunity.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #1828 on: October 9, 2012, 05:18:58 pm »
....it wants to be taken quite seriously.

You need to get the balance right; if it's quite a silly film you're making, go for it! Throw in some knowing lines, have a laugh with the format. If it's a weighty, forbidding, profound type of film, you need to cut down a bit on the dumb nonsense or it'll detract from the overall intended effect.

In a nutshell. If this had been sold as a parody of self-indulgent tosh like Battleship Earth or a comedic attack on 'intelligent design' and Von Danekin-style nonsense it could have been funny. Trouble was Scott and his crew believe in the bullshit - Matt Stone and Trey Parker would have made a better movie because they would have ripped the piss out of the pretentious bollocks that underlies the 'plot'.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1829 on: October 9, 2012, 05:28:34 pm »
In a nutshell. If this had been sold as a parody of self-indulgent tosh like Battleship Earth or a comedic attack on 'intelligent design' and Von Danekin-style nonsense it could have been funny. Trouble was Scott and his crew believe in the bullshit - Matt Stone and Trey Parker would have made a better movie because they would have ripped the piss out of the pretentious bollocks that underlies the 'plot'.

Battlefield Earth*

*The book starts off quite well but gets shite about halfway through. Real slog finishing it. The Film was just atrocious from start to finish.

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Factor Winner 2012 - it's a rap, folks!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1830 on: October 9, 2012, 05:28:58 pm »
Andy, spoilers aside, the extra footage/alternate beginning & start, any decent?

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #1831 on: October 9, 2012, 05:31:40 pm »
Battlefield Earth*

Correct - shit anyway.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Flaccid Bobby Fowler

• Supports the No To Racism campaign. Good lad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • *****In Istanbul, we won it 5 times*****
« Reply #1832 on: October 9, 2012, 06:26:18 pm »
Andy, spoilers aside, the extra footage/alternate beginning & start, any decent?

you can view some of it here mate: http://blastr.com/2012/09/gorge-yourself-silly-on-1.php

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Factor Winner 2012 - it's a rap, folks!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1833 on: October 9, 2012, 06:36:18 pm »
you can view some of it here mate: http://blastr.com/2012/09/gorge-yourself-silly-on-1.php

Don't wanna ruin it for myself with the computer monitor, if that makes any sense?

Regardless, that link is showing a new BR box set, which is basically the Alien Quadrulogy box set I already own + Prometheus? Pisstake.

Offline Casablancas

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #1834 on: October 9, 2012, 06:53:17 pm »
Been watching it again on BluRay after going to see it 3 times at the cinema, it looks amazing, and whilst it has flaws I really like it.

The original version with face huggers sounds brilliant, such a shame they didn't go through with it.
Without the sunglasses, Weekend at Bernie's would have been a very dark, strange tale.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #1835 on: October 9, 2012, 06:56:42 pm »
Lost in Translation is a cracking movie. Or maybe I am just confused?

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #1836 on: October 9, 2012, 07:04:58 pm »
Was ok i spose. Not sure id watch it again. Loved the big bald alien though.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1837 on: October 9, 2012, 07:21:19 pm »

They didn't seem to be on the DVD version - maybe Blue Ray only :(

The scenes they showed were minimally different. I haven't got a Blue Ray player.

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #1838 on: October 10, 2012, 03:02:18 am »
47 pages for this!!!!
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline sparkiemark73

• Legacy Fan
  • Hairway to Steven
« Reply #1839 on: October 10, 2012, 09:03:15 am »
47 pages for this!!!!

Don't worry about that mate*. I've been playing the 'Von Daniken / Blade Runner' drinking game and I'm hammered.

*Hic
PSN - sparkness08