Author Topic: Prometheus: Ridley Scott's Alien Prequel  (Read 101993 times)

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
Re: Prometheus: Ridley Scott's Alien Prequel
« Reply #1760 on: October 2, 2012, 09:11:33 pm »
I have the Alien Quadrilogy and love all of those films, my favourite being Aliens. My question is, as a big fan of these films, and sci-fi in general, do I buy this film? I've seen very mixed views on here, so not sure what to do.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline StokieSteve

• Legacy Fan
  • Up The Potters
« Reply #1761 on: October 2, 2012, 09:15:07 pm »
Ah fuck it, I'll probably buy it. ;D

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #1762 on: October 2, 2012, 09:17:32 pm »
Do these people actually know what DNA is?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2Dc_zsM2p34" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/2Dc_zsM2p34</a>
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #1763 on: October 2, 2012, 09:23:34 pm »
Ah fuck it, I'll probably buy it. ;D
Download it at zero expense from one of the naughty places, and then buy all the discs & plastic/cardboard n stuff if you like it.

It's the only sane way in these times, mate.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline StokieSteve

• Legacy Fan
  • Up The Potters
« Reply #1764 on: October 2, 2012, 09:29:58 pm »
Download it at zero expense from one of the naughty places, and then buy all the discs & plastic/cardboard n stuff if you like it.

Might just do that, cheers mate.

Offline PROPER crazyemlyn72

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1765 on: October 2, 2012, 09:40:02 pm »

great post back there, about the emperors new clothes. a few pages back i questioned the lie about the "stunning visuals" and "breathtaking visuals". i think people automatically expect that from scott, but in this case people are not engaging their brain. the visuals are average. nothing that hasnt been seen in any average movie in the last 10 years. never mind the bad story telling he didnt even film it well.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #1766 on: October 3, 2012, 10:05:22 am »
Might just do that, cheers mate.
Certainly worth a watch, if only to bore the arse off everyone as to whether it is a masterpiece or incoherent mess. I feel compelled to watch it again just to confirm my negativity (and lack of objectivity).

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1767 on: October 3, 2012, 11:10:53 am »
great post back there, about the emperors new clothes. a few pages back i questioned the lie about the "stunning visuals" and "breathtaking visuals". i think people automatically expect that from scott, but in this case people are not engaging their brain. the visuals are average. nothing that hasnt been seen in any average movie in the last 10 years. never mind the bad story telling he didnt even film it well.

You can say that about a few films. Look at "Lost in Translation" - it gets a lot of plaudits from the "Right on" crowd but there was literally no story. Most of the Murrays bits were ad-libbed and most of the rest was Xenophobic and borderline racist and yet people will tell us that this nothing film with no idea, no story and no point was wonderful.

Each to their own and all that, but there are plenty of examples of style over substance.

In this case there is plenty of substance if you have an imagination and like to wonder about things.

I find it funny that some atheists are getting uppity about the 'Spawned from Heaven/Aliens' ideas given that early atheists used this idea to rail against religion in the 1920s. How they've moved on, eh.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1768 on: October 3, 2012, 01:16:36 pm »
Over analysis, everyone

It's a movie not a way of life (except maybe for Andy), and as a movie, is ok

It has holes, but it's a movie
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1769 on: October 3, 2012, 01:42:03 pm »
You can say that about a few films. Look at "Lost in Translation" - it gets a lot of plaudits from the "Right on" crowd but there was literally no story. Most of the Murrays bits were ad-libbed and most of the rest was Xenophobic and borderline racist and yet people will tell us that this nothing film with no idea, no story and no point was wonderful.

Each to their own and all that, but there are plenty of examples of style over substance.

In this case there is plenty of substance if you have an imagination and like to wonder about things.

I find it funny that some atheists are getting uppity about the 'Spawned from Heaven/Aliens' ideas given that early atheists used this idea to rail against religion in the 1920s. How they've moved on, eh.
Don't worry about it, Andy. I thought Lost in Translation was bollocks too by the way.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #1770 on: October 3, 2012, 01:59:51 pm »
LiT was shit.

Especially that bollocks at the end, where the audience has to wonder what he said.

Like Prometheus, actually.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1771 on: October 3, 2012, 02:13:59 pm »
LiT was shit.

Especially that bollocks at the end, where the audience has to wonder what he said.

Like Prometheus, actually.

That film would have been helped by a pissed off Engineer wasting everyone.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline sparkiemark73

• Legacy Fan
  • Hairway to Steven
« Reply #1772 on: October 3, 2012, 02:19:53 pm »
*mumbles something about not crossing the streams*
"Here's Dalglish...........Oh and a goal!!"
PSN - sparkness08

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1773 on: October 3, 2012, 04:48:52 pm »
I have the Alien Quadrilogy and love all of those films, my favourite being Aliens. My question is, as a big fan of these films, and sci-fi in general, do I buy this film? I've seen very mixed views on here, so not sure what to do.
If you sit on your couch, crack open a beer, have some pizza, and look forward to it as a decently entertaining sci-fi flick, you'll enjoy it. :)

If you haven't gotten laid in a while, and often fantasize that you are a NASA scientist by day and an artsy-fartsy cinema critic by night, you'll take out your frustrations by writing a thesis on why you hate it like many have done on here.  ;D  :P
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #1774 on: October 3, 2012, 07:07:13 pm »
Yeah, why does any filmmaker ever bother endeavouring to painstakingly craft a really tight, intelligently conceived, self-contained film, one that doesn't condescend its audience? Who gives a shit, Alien/Brazil/Akira/Moon/Inception is just a movie, same as Alien vs Predator/Independence Day/Matrix: Revolutions/Avatar/Transformers: Whatever is. Just kick back with a Bud lite and a tube o' bbq Pringles, and enjoy them all equally. Get a life.

In other words, most people will lap up any old halfarsed pish, because most people are cool. They rock sports/casual, dey be mackin in all da phat clubs. The rest of us just have to make do with wiping the watery ejaculate & lonely tears from our NHS spectacles each night with an old school sock. What of it?  ;)
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1775 on: October 4, 2012, 09:59:01 am »
:lmao :lmao :lmao
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #1776 on: October 4, 2012, 10:24:14 am »
Watched this yesterday afternoon.
I echo what others have said in that it's not very good, or at least it could have been so much better.
Visually quite nice in parts but I didn't care about anyone in it, the characterisation and dialog from the off seemed very weak and designed for morons to be able to understand, almost at "He didn't see me" Predator level.
As for the technology, just weird. As an example they have these little spherical things for mapping that seem to be capable of flying with no obvious propulsion, yet everyone has  to plod around on the surface huffing and puffing  or using (electric?) vehicles. Incongruous. And how can that squid thing get so big so quickly? What was it eating? Bonkers and at times cartoon juvenile stuff that requires you to either have none in the first place, or to totally suspend your critical faculties and any semblance of scientific reasoning.
While I wouldn't have walked out if I had seen it in the cinema, it was watchable, I'm certainly glad I didn't pay to see it and doubt I'd bother watching it again anytime.
Disappointing. I'd hoped (and been led to expect from the virals) for much better.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1777 on: October 4, 2012, 10:31:03 am »
Do these people actually know what DNA is?
http://www.youtube.com/v/2Dc_zsM2p34

Well at least we know that the engineers are supposed to be sinister before they even drink the goo. We also know that engineers are supposed to have a very different dna 'structure' to earthly dna 'structure' (whatever the hell that means). I wonder how they thought of squaring that with the supposed 100% dna match later in the movie?
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1778 on: October 4, 2012, 10:48:09 am »
Watched this yesterday afternoon.
I echo what others have said in that it's not very good, or at least it could have been so much better.
Visually quite nice in parts but I didn't care about anyone in it, the characterisation and dialog from the off seemed very weak and designed for morons to be able to understand, almost at "He didn't see me" Predator level.
As for the technology, just weird. As an example they have these little spherical things for mapping that seem to be capable of flying with no obvious propulsion, yet everyone has  to plod around on the surface huffing and puffing  or using (electric?) vehicles. Incongruous. And how can that squid thing get so big so quickly? What was it eating? Bonkers and at times cartoon juvenile stuff that requires you to either have none in the first place, or to totally suspend your critical faculties and any semblance of scientific reasoning.
While I wouldn't have walked out if I had seen it in the cinema, it was watchable, I'm certainly glad I didn't pay to see it and doubt I'd bother watching it again anytime.
Disappointing. I'd hoped (and been led to expect from the virals) for much better.

Bit late now complainging about how fast the organisms grow given Alien, Aliens, Alien3 and Alien4.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #1779 on: October 4, 2012, 10:53:12 am »
Bit late now complainging about how fast the organisms grow given Alien, Aliens, Alien3 and Alien4.
Not at all.
I thought the same in the original Alien, (I found the follow ups weak) but viewed that as a horror film in the Hammer tradition where such things as Dracula being reconstructed from dust by sprinkling blood is permissable.
This wasn't a horror film.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1780 on: October 4, 2012, 11:23:09 am »
Not at all.
I thought the same in the original Alien, (I found the follow ups weak) but viewed that as a horror film in the Hammer tradition where such things as Dracula being reconstructed from dust by sprinkling blood is permissable.
This wasn't a horror film.

I know it wasn't I've made that point several times in this very thread.

However if you 'allow' the unfathomable growth in 'Alien' then you have to accept it in this film as well. It's a bit late to get uppity about it five films in (More if you include the AVP films).

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #1781 on: October 4, 2012, 11:31:19 am »
I know it wasn't I've made that point several times in this very thread.

However if you 'allow' the unfathomable growth in 'Alien' then you have to accept it in this film as well. It's a bit late to get uppity about it five films in (More if you include the AVP films).

The unfathomable growth could be permitted as after the critter burst out of Hurts chest it disappeared into the bowels of the ship and you could be forgiven in assuming that it presumably found something in the cargo there to assimilate to enable it to grow.
In this film, the squid is in the medical pod all the time.
Sorry Andy, too big a leap.
And why did the Squid have teeth? What was the point of that when it existed to insert a tube insde the engineer to implant the deacon or whatever it's been since called. It was just plain stupid.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1782 on: October 4, 2012, 11:39:35 am »
The unfathomable growth could be permitted as after the critter burst out of Hurts chest it disappeared into the bowels of the ship and you could be forgiven in assuming that it presumably found something in the cargo there to assimilate to enable it to grow.
In this film, the squid is in the medical pod all the time.
Sorry Andy, too big a leap.
And why did the Squid have teeth? What was the point of that when it existed to insert a tube insde the engineer to implant the deacon or whatever it's been since called. It was just plain stupid.

My take on the squid was that it was a natural (Probably some sort of sea going creature given the nautical theme of many of the things seen) and something the facehugger evolved from.

Why did the facehugger have fingernails? Why did the Alien have tubes and a serrated tail? Why was it just a carbon copy of the creatures that were found lurking in the Necronomicon?

There aren't many 'monsters' in films that I've seen that have a really credible back story and that's from any writer, any era and any genre.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #1783 on: October 4, 2012, 12:29:59 pm »
Well at least we know that the engineers are supposed to be sinister before they even drink the goo. We also know that engineers are supposed to have a very different dna 'structure' to earthly dna 'structure' (whatever the hell that means). I wonder how they thought of squaring that with the supposed 100% dna match later in the movie?
The 100% DNA is nothing short of lazy. Really, they could have said 99% the same, got the point across and not have yet another stupid little thing.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #1784 on: October 4, 2012, 12:45:00 pm »
Scott really has done a number with this one.

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Flaccid Bobby Fowler

• Supports the No To Racism campaign. Good lad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • *****In Istanbul, we won it 5 times*****
« Reply #1785 on: October 4, 2012, 01:01:44 pm »
The 100% DNA is nothing short of lazy. Really, they could have said 99% the same, got the point across and not have yet another stupid little thing.

but they are the same... so they must be our creators

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1786 on: October 4, 2012, 01:08:32 pm »
but they are the same... so they must be our creators

They aren't the same.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1787 on: October 4, 2012, 01:12:54 pm »

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #1788 on: October 4, 2012, 01:15:38 pm »

Chimpanzee's have almost 99% the same DNA as humans, which in many ways makes the whole thing even more meaningless. That figure is disputed by some but the fact remains that chimps, bonobos and other primates are very similar DNA-wise. It makes the idea that the similarity in DNA makes humans special and separate from the rest of the animals completely meaningless. Besides, humans only have 99.9% the same DNA as each other (that's how DNA testing works) and not 100%.

As I said, these clowns have no idea what DNA is. That Youtube clip suggests they think DNA is some kind of worm that lives in the blood stream.

For those who give a fuck, DNA is made of 4 nitrogenous bases (adenine, guanine, cytosine, and thymine) and the only thing that can change in a gene is the sequence and the length. What exactly is meant to be 'infected' in that clip? If the four bases were altered in some way by an 'infection' then the result would be completely alien and not related to any living thing on Earth. How that relates to the idea of us and the 'engineers' being closely related is beyond me.

Scott and his team have done something amazing with this movie - the more you think about it the shitter it gets.
« Last Edit: October 4, 2012, 05:21:40 pm by Alan_X »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1789 on: October 4, 2012, 01:19:21 pm »
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1790 on: October 4, 2012, 01:25:22 pm »
they are

Obviously not seen the film if you think so.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1791 on: October 4, 2012, 01:27:16 pm »
Obviously not seen the film if you think so.

i have, its stupid, and what was with the little fishy thingy in your mans eye? terrible performance from him in this movie, thought he was better in that UFC movie..

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1792 on: October 4, 2012, 01:28:08 pm »
i have, its stupid, and what was with the little fishy thingy in your mans eye? terrible performance from him in this movie, thought he was better in that UFC moovie..

They note that there is a difference in the film.

I thought it was a little wormy thing. Wormy thing beats fishy thing. See Team 17 for details.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1793 on: October 4, 2012, 01:29:41 pm »
They note that there is a difference in the film.

I thought it was a little wormy thing. Wormy thing beats fishy thing. See Team 17 for details.

im nearly sure it was fishy  ;D

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1794 on: October 4, 2012, 01:48:13 pm »
im nearly sure it was fishy  ;D

Do you mean the part where they examine the paraphyletic organism in the petri dish just before the lifeboat returned?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1795 on: October 4, 2012, 01:57:08 pm »
Do you mean the part where they examine the paraphyletic organism in the petri dish just before the lifeboat returned?

Yes, exactly  :boxhead

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1796 on: October 4, 2012, 02:02:27 pm »
Yes, exactly  :boxhead

Sorry. My mistake I thought they examined a little fishy on a little dishy before the boat came in.

Offline Casablancas

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #1797 on: October 4, 2012, 02:03:27 pm »
Noel Gallagher
Seen that film Prometheus on the flight on the way over. What a load of shit. Laughable rubbish. Have you seen it? Well don't . . . it's dog-shit.
Without the sunglasses, Weekend at Bernie's would have been a very dark, strange tale.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1798 on: October 4, 2012, 02:22:56 pm »
Sorry. My mistake I thought they examined a little fishy on a little dishy before the boat came in.

;D

Im actually a fan of the movie, although i did feel a little shortchanged coming out the cinema after watching it.
look forward to the Bluray release 

Offline Antics

• Roadshow
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is what you'll get when you mess with us.
« Reply #1799 on: October 5, 2012, 01:43:27 pm »
Watched it for the first time. Bloody hell, didn't expect it to be quite so awful, I'd heard mixed reviews but was caught by surprise at just how laughably bad it was.

Clearly didn't understand it ;)