Author Topic: Roberto Firmino  (Read 2012428 times)

Offline Legoland

• Plazzie Brick Lid :)
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Roberto Firmino
« Reply #10360 on: December 27, 2019, 07:56:35 am »
Raul Jimenez is the closest thing to another Bobby but he's definitely a poor man's Firmino
Minamino

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #10361 on: December 27, 2019, 10:12:01 am »

Looks like he's just getting off his invisible horse
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10362 on: December 27, 2019, 10:29:15 am »
He's fucking brilliant isn't he.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #10363 on: December 27, 2019, 10:56:44 am »
Scored in the last two games. Hopefully he'll keep doing that, because we gonna need his goals more than ever. Especially in January and February.
last three games
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
  • We must all at least Tri
« Reply #10364 on: December 27, 2019, 11:02:43 am »
 Bobby is a player that other fans just won't see what he is or brings to the team I think, he's not a prolific goal scorer as such but fook me what goals he does score! That 2nd of his last night night was one of my favorite goals & literally got me out of my chair, to kill that cross (which was coming at him at a fair lick) & just so calmly pass it into the top pins is just pure filth!!
I love him!

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #10365 on: December 27, 2019, 11:13:55 am »
Me.

Given his talent I think he should score far more goals. He has only just turned 28 so there is still time for him to become calmer if front of goal. The talent is there he just has a habit of snatching at chances at time.

Agree with this, he's always been an inconsistent finisher, but his all round game, intelligence and work rate means it doesn't matter all that much.  Salah and Mane are the main goal getters, if Bobby comes up with around 15 goals a season, that's fine, wouldn't expect any more.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #10366 on: December 27, 2019, 11:49:44 am »
Agree with this, he's always been an inconsistent finisher, but his all round game, intelligence and work rate means it doesn't matter all that much.  Salah and Mane are the main goal getters, if Bobby comes up with around 15 goals a season, that's fine, wouldn't expect any more.

I think a good example is Robin Van Persie who like Bobby was a 1 in 3 Striker up until his mid twenties but then kicked on became more prolific. In his last season at Arsenal he scored 38 in 47 games and followed that up with 30 in 48 in his first season at Old Trafford. Wenger's explanation was that Van Persie became calmer in front of goal. I think Bobby has that potential.

Especially considering how we are developing as a team. As the OX and Keita come through and with the addition of Minamino there will be less need for Bobby to drop so deep. 
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Blinis

• Kopite
« Reply #10367 on: December 27, 2019, 11:59:53 am »
Raul Jimenez is the closest thing to another Bobby but he's definitely a poor man's Firmino

To me the closest thing to Bobby is Griezmann. Really similar styles.
What do Fernando Hierro, Carles Puyol, Philipp Lahm, Andres Iniesta, Iker Casillas, Sergio Ramos and Jordan Henderson share in common?

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10368 on: December 27, 2019, 12:05:59 pm »
I think a good example is Robin Van Persie who like Bobby was a 1 in 3 Striker up until his mid twenties but then kicked on became more prolific. In his last season at Arsenal he scored 38 in 47 games and followed that up with 30 in 48 in his first season at Old Trafford. Wenger's explanation was that Van Persie became calmer in front of goal. I think Bobby has that potential.

Especially considering how we are developing as a team. As the OX and Keita come through and with the addition of Minamino there will be less need for Bobby to drop so deep. 

A lot of the time, our front 3 are just goal hangers, dotted around the 6 yard box while they wait for the cross to come in. It's hilarious how often there's a line of 3-4 red shirts strung across the path of an anticipated cross, and even funnier how they stay in place when the ball is ricocheting around after a half bounce around (half clearance doesn't really describe it), confident in the inevitability of the ball coming back for another go. At one point there were 4 red shirts within 12 yards of the goal, all within the width of the goal. Combo play and formations isn't really a factor. It's like watching playground football.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #10369 on: December 27, 2019, 12:25:12 pm »
No wonder Schmeichel was pissed off after Bobby sent him to the fucking shops for his second
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10370 on: December 27, 2019, 12:33:26 pm »
Loved singing the Bobby song watching the game at a family party last night. Loud and proud.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10371 on: December 27, 2019, 01:52:43 pm »
''When I think of bobby, I don't think about him scoring or not scoring he brings so much to the side'' - Klopp on Firmino

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #10372 on: December 27, 2019, 01:58:05 pm »
''When I think of bobby, I don't think about him scoring or not scoring he brings so much to the side'' - Klopp on Firmino

You could of probably of said the same about Suarez in his first year or so here though. He managed to keep the ridiculous work rate and creativity but became much calmer in front of goal.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #10373 on: December 27, 2019, 01:59:43 pm »
You could of probably of said the same about Suarez in his first year or so here though. He managed to keep the ridiculous work rate and creativity but became much calmer in front of goal.

Don't think they're comparable, Suarez was known for goals before he joined us, just took him a while to settle into things here.  Firmino has never been a goal machine.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10374 on: December 27, 2019, 02:43:53 pm »
Wouldn't you just love Klopp as your boss. From The Guardian:

Jürgen Klopp has revealed Roberto Firmino’s recent burst of goals came after the player had to be reassured of his value to Liverpool following a long stretch without scoring. The manager described the Brazilian as Liverpool’s “connector”, who gives invaluable service even when not getting on the scoresheet.

Firmino’s finishing has been impeccable over the festive period, as he scored the winning goals against Monterrey and Flamengo in the Club World Cup before two goals in the demolition of Leicester on Thursday. But he had scored only once in the previous 16 Premier League and Champions League and began to worry about his form until Klopp reminded him of his precious contribution beyond goals.

“Bobby has four goals in three games and before that he didn’t score that often,” Klopp said following Liverpool’s 4-0 win at Leicester. “When people tell me previously Bobby didn’t score for a while I didn’t realise. When I think about Bobby I don’t think about scoring. I think about how important he is.

“We had a bit of a talk because for the first time since I knew him he looked a little bit concerned about that fact,” said Klopp of the player who joined Liverpool from Hoffenheim in June 2015. “I told him I am not interested in that number because he is the connector for our team. He is so important for us. He is not the only one who can play that position but he can play that position in a very special way.”

Firmino acknowledged the impact of Klopp’s reassurance by running to embrace his manager on the sideline after one of his goals against Leicester. “Obviously he doesn’t have come [to hug me] every goal but this time he thought I was calm enough to leave him on the pitch in these games and he thought he has to say thank you.”

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10375 on: December 27, 2019, 03:19:07 pm »

Suarez however was scoring goals in Holland and played as a regular #9. Firmino has never been that ever in his career.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #10376 on: December 27, 2019, 03:29:41 pm »
Yep me too.
I just don't see or think of him as a striker or goalscorer.
Does.Not.Compute.For.Me

I never expect a goal from him and I don't get frustrated if he doesn't score.

He just makes things happen and he's a starter- always. He just does "things".
For me, he's a midfielder inbetween the strikers- a Yossi or a Garcia or a Maxi, so he doesn't need to score..... but every little helps of course! ;D

Liverpool really have a weird setup that is currently leaving everyone in football stumped.
It's like Jorge Jesus said- Klopp has created something new in football. He's an original designer and thinker. A Steve Jobs/Elon Musk in football.

Think about it- our creativity comes mainly from the defenders and the midfielder inbetween the strikers(who are on the wings(wtf!?)). Our defenders including the CBs are just as accomplished in their passing as any good midfielder out there.
Our midfielders do the donkey work- DEFENDING as much as traditional defenders would while our wingmen are the strikers, our nr 9 is a midfielder and our fullbacks are creative players!? It all looks reversed, but then again- the strikers are still at the front- yet again they press like hell- like a midfielder would traditionally do.
Defense is in midfield, creativity is at the back and strikeforce are on the wings.
Whetever the f* is happening here!?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 03:44:33 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #10377 on: December 27, 2019, 03:38:31 pm »
Don't think they're comparable, Suarez was known for goals before he joined us, just took him a while to settle into things here.  Firmino has never been a goal machine.

Suarez massively improved his conversion rate though and that is the key for me. I think what is interesting is how Bobby's Xg has changed since he arrived.

15/16......0.32 expected goals per game.
16/17......0.30 expected goals per game.
17/18......0.34 expected goals per game.
18/19......0.47 expected goals per game.
19/20......0.49 expected goals per game.

As you would expect as he matures and reaches the peak years of his career his Xg has improved. He has gone from a player who should score 1 in 3 to a player who should score 1 in 2. He has had a dry spell but is now scoring again so hopefully he can kick on and become a genuine 1 in 2 Striker.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10378 on: December 27, 2019, 03:42:21 pm »
Bobby Firmino aka The Connector

Not really worried about his lack of goals. We have Salah and Mane for that. More worried when he lacks form a bit - loose on the ball, not winning balls high up as often as usual

Bobby is a truly modern No 9/False 9
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 03:45:52 pm by MNAA »
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10379 on: December 27, 2019, 03:55:37 pm »
Suarez massively improved his conversion rate though and that is the key for me. I think what is interesting is how Bobby's Xg has changed since he arrived.

15/16......0.32 expected goals per game.
16/17......0.30 expected goals per game.
17/18......0.34 expected goals per game.
18/19......0.47 expected goals per game.
19/20......0.49 expected goals per game.

As you would expect as he matures and reaches the peak years of his career his Xg has improved. He has gone from a player who should score 1 in 3 to a player who should score 1 in 2. He has had a dry spell but is now scoring again so hopefully he can kick on and become a genuine 1 in 2 Striker.

You are right in the sense that Suarez improved his finishing but he was a goalscorer at Ajax, [he also hit the woodwork a ridiculous amount of times in his first season here] he was never ever a player like Firmino, and Firmino has never been a goal-scorer of the same ilk and I don't expect that he will be. His function in the side is different and it's why Klopp doesn't have those expectations of him.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #10380 on: December 27, 2019, 03:58:26 pm »
Scored in the last two games. Hopefully he'll keep doing that, because we gonna need his goals more than ever. Especially in January and February.
Last three, no?
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline dirks digglers

• Kopite
« Reply #10381 on: December 27, 2019, 04:03:48 pm »
I'm not sure what the stats are and it would be interesting to know, but it feels like Bobby misses considerably fewer good chances than Mo. Let's face it, Mo squanders an absolute hatful. And that doesn't matter either, because the team works beautifully and I wouldn't want it any other way.

If you can’t understand it without an explanation, you can’t understand it with an explanation.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #10382 on: December 27, 2019, 04:17:04 pm »
You are right in the sense that Suarez improved his finishing but he was a goalscorer at Ajax, [he also hit the woodwork a ridiculous amount of times in his first season here] he was never ever a player like Firmino, and Firmino has never been a goal-scorer of the same ilk and I don't expect that he will be. His function in the side is different and it's why Klopp doesn't have those expectations of him.

I agree with you regarding their differing roles. I still expect Bobby to improve his conversion rate though. The interesting bit for me is how the team has developed best highlighted by the front three's change in Xg per game over the last three years.

Salah 0.77, 0.60 and 0.67
 Mane 0.46, 0.49 and 0.51
 Bobby 0.34, 0.47 and 0.49

I expect that pattern to continue because there is less of a requirement for Bobby to drop off and link the play so much. The full backs and the likes of Ox, Keita and Minamino give us way more creativity whilst the centre backs are better at bypassing the opposition midfield. If he stays fit I fully expect Bobby to push on next season in goalscoring terms.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #10383 on: December 27, 2019, 04:23:45 pm »
I'm not sure what the stats are and it would be interesting to know, but it feels like Bobby misses considerably fewer good chances than Mo. Let's face it, Mo squanders an absolute hatful. And that doesn't matter either, because the team works beautifully and I wouldn't want it any other way.

According to the Premier League site.

Big chances missed

19/20

Mane 13
Bobby 9
Mo 6

18/19

Mo 16
Mane 11
Bobby 9

17/18

Mo 23
Mane 12
Bobby 7
"Ohhh-kayyy"

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10384 on: December 27, 2019, 05:12:27 pm »
Insane that Mane has already missed more chances by December than he did all of last season

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #10385 on: December 27, 2019, 05:20:29 pm »
Insane that Mane has already missed more chances by December than he did all of last season
Or that Mo is not missing anywhere near as many as people claim. Not that it will stop Liverpool fans from unduly criticisng one of their best players just because he doesn't score with every chance
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10386 on: December 27, 2019, 05:26:52 pm »
Didn't realise Bobby's 2nd goal was our 500th under Jurgen.

Wow just amazing.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #10387 on: December 28, 2019, 10:26:10 am »
Or that Mo is not missing anywhere near as many as people claim. Not that it will stop Liverpool fans from unduly criticisng one of their best players just because he doesn't score with every chance

Aren't the big chances though the ones you should attempt.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #10388 on: December 28, 2019, 11:56:36 pm »
Bobby is a player that other fans just won't see what he is or brings to the team I think, he's not a prolific goal scorer as such but fook me what goals he does score! That 2nd of his last night night was one of my favorite goals & literally got me out of my chair, to kill that cross (which was coming at him at a fair lick) & just so calmly pass it into the top pins is just pure filth!!
I love him!

Arguably, even better was his tenacity and strength to start the move off before giving the ball to Milner and making his run into the area.

An incredible talent and if everyone had as much fun as Bobby doing their job, the world would be a better place.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline davealexred

• Anny Roader
« Reply #10389 on: January 2, 2020, 09:53:31 pm »
Couldn’t pass wind tonight the fella.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10390 on: January 2, 2020, 09:54:32 pm »
Bobby was on the pissup on New Years Eve.  ;D

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10391 on: January 2, 2020, 09:55:59 pm »
He was winning the ball in various parts of the pitch, his final ball wasn't always good but he put in a great shift in, should have scored.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #10392 on: January 2, 2020, 09:56:28 pm »
No more sauce for Bobby.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #10393 on: January 2, 2020, 10:12:08 pm »
His workrate and touch are always top notch but every now and then he has matches where he can't finish or pass whatsoever.  He'll be back on it next time.

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10394 on: January 11, 2020, 07:29:03 pm »
getting important goals now :)

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #10395 on: January 11, 2020, 07:29:57 pm »
Won the three points today.

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #10396 on: January 11, 2020, 07:56:19 pm »
That touch before the finish was unbelievable. Another great performance from him.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #10397 on: January 11, 2020, 08:00:43 pm »
Si, señor! Could have had two goals today had it not been for a brilliant clearance, or an assist if Ox shot an inch inward off the post. He's been great of late.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Captain Kos

• Main Stander
« Reply #10398 on: January 11, 2020, 10:38:36 pm »
I love that the other players are now doing karate kicks when we score. Just random high kicks
I dream of a team of Daniel Aggers!

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #10399 on: January 11, 2020, 10:41:35 pm »
I love that the other players are now doing karate kicks when we score. Just random high kicks

Virgil knows.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005