Author Topic: Struggling with depression  (Read 618785 times)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Struggling with depression
« Reply #6640 on: December 13, 2018, 02:54:26 am »
Hope everyone's doing okay. Get a bit worried when it's been inactive for a week or two, but it's likely a good thing.

For me, at the end of 2018, a lot has changed. Much for the positive.

I've left Uni. Technically haven't graduated because I couldn't do a few modules with my recent problems. I know I can come back to it. Likely it'll be August. I started a job in the Trafford Centre, quit because it was appalling and dragged my mood down. I was unemployed for three weeks, totally terrified and had an overdraft for the first time in my life.

I've now got a trial (halfway through the 3 week period) in advertising copywriting and social media. Bit stressed if I don't get it, because I'll be part of the influx of job hunters in 2019. But I've got to think positive.

I've met a girl. Been seeing each other for a month and a half, taking it slow. It's very different from previous relationships because she's a lot less outwardly emotional than my ex. Definitely a good thing, but part of me is a little insecure and wants to be told I'm okay, but I can't say that because I feel soft and also it's very fresh. Been very low about it today, but it's something that 6 months ago would've escalated. Now it's not.

Biggest thing I've learnt from 2018 is perspective.

Hope 2019 brings you fellas want you deserve and hope for. Take it easy.

And up you fucking Redmen  :scarf

Delighted for you mate, I hope you continue to stay strong and continue to keep perspective, take it one step at a time, one day at a time!

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #6641 on: December 13, 2018, 02:58:14 am »
Hope everyone's doing okay. Get a bit worried when it's been inactive for a week or two, but it's likely a good thing.

I've left Uni. Technically haven't graduated because I couldn't do a few modules with my recent problems. I know I can come back to it. Likely it'll be August. I started a job in the Trafford Centre, quit because it was appalling and dragged my mood down. I was unemployed for three weeks, totally terrified and had an overdraft for the first time in my life.

I've now got a trial (halfway through the 3 week period) in advertising copywriting and social media. Bit stressed if I don't get it, because I'll be part of the influx of job hunters in 2019. But I've got to think positive.

I've met a girl. Been seeing each other for a month and a half, taking it slow. It's very different from previous relationships because she's a lot less outwardly emotional than my ex. Definitely a good thing, but part of me is a little insecure and wants to be told I'm okay, but I can't say that because I feel soft and also it's very fresh. Been very low about it today, but it's something that 6 months ago would've escalated. Now it's not.

Better to hear than all our good results recently. Onwards and upwards mate  :)
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6642 on: December 13, 2018, 07:30:56 am »

Fantastic news, great to see that things are on the up. Brave man starting a job in the Trafford Centre, I hate even going in there unless I 100% have to.  :)

Good that you are taking it slow with the new relationship. She must think you are OK, otherwise she wouldn't be with you and the longer it goes on, the better it should get. If you do continue to feel insecure, don't pile it on her, refer yourself to Self Help services (getting a job in the TC I assume you are local) https://www.selfhelpservices.org.uk/about-us/contact-us/ and they should be able to help you get some counselling to assist your moods. I started CBT with them two weeks ago and it is helping. I would recommend that you contact them anyway, the CBT will hopefully give you tools to help you to continue to deal with things in a positive manner.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6643 on: December 13, 2018, 09:23:17 am »
Does anyone have any experience with Sertraline? Been off work for almost six weeks now, and if anything I feel worse, so I've been taking Sertraline for 5 or 6 days, I know it will take a while to kick in but so far I've only had side effects (nausea). How long does it normally take to start having an effect?

I feel like my condition has gone from something that I might be able to rationalise, to something physical and subconscious that I don't have any control over. I dread going to bed at night because although I am able to get to sleep, every morning I wake up at 3 or 4am and can't get back to sleep, then I have to get up at 7 for the school run. So then I'm even more tired and demoralised for the rest of the day. And the way I feel first thing in the morning is just utter despair...the closest thing to suicidal I've ever felt. That feeling does fade but I can't bear to feel that every day, I just want to feel normal again.

The pressure of having to get ready for Christmas is making things worse, I don't want to ruin it for my daughter but I'm terrible at faking it, don't know how I can get through it without breaking down. People keep saying I need to try and move forward, but I just don't know how to do that when everything seems so bleak, my new job seems so demoralising and depressing, and I feel guilty because we decided to re-home the puppy in the end, which has really upset my daughter. I just feel that all this depression and misery has been self-inflicted, and I've now inflicted some of it on the person I care most about in the world.

I've been told that Cognitive Behavioural Therapy can help, but I just don't know where to start and it all seems so daunting and complicated. I've contacted my local NHS Mental Health team, but it will be weeks before they get back to me.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6644 on: December 13, 2018, 11:44:20 am »
Does anyone have any experience with Sertraline? Been off work for almost six weeks now, and if anything I feel worse, so I've been taking Sertraline for 5 or 6 days, I know it will take a while to kick in but so far I've only had side effects (nausea). How long does it normally take to start having an effect?

I feel like my condition has gone from something that I might be able to rationalise, to something physical and subconscious that I don't have any control over. I dread going to bed at night because although I am able to get to sleep, every morning I wake up at 3 or 4am and can't get back to sleep, then I have to get up at 7 for the school run. So then I'm even more tired and demoralised for the rest of the day. And the way I feel first thing in the morning is just utter despair...the closest thing to suicidal I've ever felt. That feeling does fade but I can't bear to feel that every day, I just want to feel normal again.

The pressure of having to get ready for Christmas is making things worse, I don't want to ruin it for my daughter but I'm terrible at faking it, don't know how I can get through it without breaking down. People keep saying I need to try and move forward, but I just don't know how to do that when everything seems so bleak, my new job seems so demoralising and depressing, and I feel guilty because we decided to re-home the puppy in the end, which has really upset my daughter. I just feel that all this depression and misery has been self-inflicted, and I've now inflicted some of it on the person I care most about in the world.

I've been told that Cognitive Behavioural Therapy can help, but I just don't know where to start and it all seems so daunting and complicated. I've contacted my local NHS Mental Health team, but it will be weeks before they get back to me.

Yes, I'm currently taking Sertraline. I was on Prozac from Feb until Sept and it just wasn't working for me. It took about 3 to 4 weeks to kick in, the GP was amazed in the change in me after 6 weeks. I still need to do my CBT and counselling, but things are so much easier.

It is hard to be cheerful when it is the last thing you want to be, so don't beat yourself up over it, just try to take each hour and each day as it comes.

Try these https://www.selfhelpservices.org.uk/ I'm doing CBT with them, it is an online course and then a phone chat with a therapist once a week, I'm 2 weeks in.  Also the Samaritans and MIND can help and these https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/your-mental-health

Our HSEQ at work has been heavily pushing mental health lately, partly because of my experience, they have been talking to all the above.

There is also private if you can afford it? Do you get any health stuff from work that could help pay for it?

Get some exercise too, might sound cliched but it really does help you feel better - also, it is hard at this time of the year, but try to not drink too much, alcohol is a depressant and can make things worse.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6645 on: December 15, 2018, 01:46:37 pm »
Yes, I'm currently taking Sertraline. I was on Prozac from Feb until Sept and it just wasn't working for me. It took about 3 to 4 weeks to kick in, the GP was amazed in the change in me after 6 weeks. I still need to do my CBT and counselling, but things are so much easier.

It is hard to be cheerful when it is the last thing you want to be, so don't beat yourself up over it, just try to take each hour and each day as it comes.

Try these https://www.selfhelpservices.org.uk/ I'm doing CBT with them, it is an online course and then a phone chat with a therapist once a week, I'm 2 weeks in.  Also the Samaritans and MIND can help and these https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/your-mental-health

Our HSEQ at work has been heavily pushing mental health lately, partly because of my experience, they have been talking to all the above.

There is also private if you can afford it? Do you get any health stuff from work that could help pay for it?

Get some exercise too, might sound cliched but it really does help you feel better - also, it is hard at this time of the year, but try to not drink too much, alcohol is a depressant and can make things worse.

Cheers, I'll try those websites - appreciate your help. I'm getting this weird adrenaline-type feeling in my limbs when I wake up, it's what stops me from getting back to sleep - is that a normal side-effect of Sertraline? I've been taking it in the morning, between 10 and 11, is that the best time to take it if I want to make sure I get some sleep?

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6646 on: December 15, 2018, 04:12:00 pm »
Last little plug for Movember! Cheers for RAWK’s support  :-*
Happy to see you and the charity doing well! :)
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #6647 on: December 15, 2018, 06:01:55 pm »

Hi,

I know some people on Sertraline but I've no personal experience of being on it myself. I am, however, on another med in the Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI) family called Escitalopram. How meds affect people can be quite individual. Some get few or no side-effects, but some get a lot. They certainly can take time to kick in, and if a person can stick with them this long I'd suggest not even making a judgement on them until at least six weeks on them. It's actually not uncommon to feel worse on meds initially. I know I did. I had side-effects. I was clenching my jaw involuntarily all the time and chipped a tooth doing so. My spatial awareness was all over the place. I was even more anxious. I'm on these for Social Anxiety Disorder, Depression and suicidal ideation. I think if I was in work when I started them I'd have struggled to stay on them, but as I wasn't I could keep my head down and ride it out. After six or so weeks I felt the side-effects fade away and I suddenly began to feel more stable and calmer. I actually made a little diary just to note how I was feeling on any given day, just so I could chart my progress. I'd draw a face next to each diary entry with either a frown, an indifferent face or a smile depending on my feelings that day. This meant that I could chart at a glance any change in my mood. I can tell you, for a good few weeks it was all frowns and indifference, but the smiles eventually came.

For anyone taking these meds I want to just say that they are no cure. They don't take your problems away and they aren't 'happy' pills. Underlying problems still remain and need to be addressed. I know most people realise this anyway, but there are still many who have unrealistic expectations, which lead to them becoming disillusioned and binning off the meds suggesting they 'don't work'. Another major reason for people binning them off too early is the potential side-effects. As I said, you can actually feel worse before you feel better on these. For me, the meds 'work' but that is because I have realistic expectations of them and did do before I went on them. For me, they help give me a sense of having a more solid foundation on which to build, whereas in the past I was all over the place and felt I was trying to build a life on shifting sands in a hurricane. This more stable feeling was something I've built on by having counselling, CBT and other therapies over the years, as well as doing things to grow my personal development. As I said earlier, any underlying issues won't be removed by meds. We have to address them too, but when on meds we can be in a better place in order to do just that, and also be far more receptive to it.

I've been deeply suicidal on plenty of occasions in my time. The Samaritans saved my life one night. I've pulled myself round right at the end of my tether a good few times too. We can come through these things, although, at times, it feels like we can't. I can definitely empathise with you regarding those despairing thoughts and feelings. I'd get them too, especially in the middle of the night when we are always at our lowest ebb. I actually learned how to deal with them by studying Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). This teaches us how to see thoughts as just thoughts rather than a reality. I can generally just accept them now, without trying to push them away, and see them like leaves just passing on a stream rather than something to wrestle with and fight against. This whole approach to thoughts and feelings has pretty much changed my life for the better, and I only started out with ACT via a basic self-help book by Russ Harris called 'The Happiness Trap'. I then went on to learn it more thoroughly via text books.

This brings me onto another aspect of improving our mental wellbeing. Being holistic. By that, I mean looking into anything that might help us and employing it. I take stuff from all kinds of mental health resources online, self-help books, therapy text books, my own personal counselling, CBT or any other therapies I can access, then I take out what fits best with me personally and I use it. There is no right or wrong way. No therapy has ever been proven superior to the rest in research either. All therapies are theories rather than absolute facts. What helps one may not help another. It's really a case of extracting what helps you from wherever you can get it.

You said people talk to you about 'just moving forward.' I think it's so hard for people to understand what goes on inside our heads. Unless you've lived it you can't understand it. People often mean well, but if it were a simple case of just moving forward we'd have done so by now, wouldn't we? When everything feels so dark and bleak, our outlooks almost become tunnel-visioned. It's so difficult to see anything outside of what's right in front, and what's in front can be so horribly painful, can't it.

I've gone through my own stuff all my life and still deal with the fall-out on a daily basis so I know how tough it can be. I also know how difficult it can be to get support right when you need it. I qualified in counselling myself so I know how long the waiting lists often are these days. Despite that, getting yourself on the lists is better sooner rather than later. Can your GP get you on any lists for counselling or CBT? If so, get yourself on the list asap, and at least you will know that you have support coming up in the near future. By the time it comes around the meds should have kicked in and you may feel more stable by then and better able to make use of any therapy you may have.

If you speak to your GP, make sure s/he is fully aware of how serious you feel things are for you. You mentioned the words 'utter despair' and 'suicidal' in your post. So, clearly you are not in a good place at the moment. Your GP and anyone that you speak to about your issues need to know this. As I said, get yourself on any lists there may be for therapy and any other available support via your GP as soon as you can.

In the meantime, it might be useful to use a bit of Mindfulness with regard to Christmas and getting through it. Basically by recognising just how you are feeling, not trying to fight with it, but instead, just vowing to smile and push through Christmas regardless. We had to do that last Christmas. We lost our dad, mum lost her life partner just before Christmas. We basically had to acknowledge that we all felt like utter shit, but make it as good as we could for our own sakes and in memory of him. We are bound to feel totally miserable, but we can acknowledge that whilst also making the best of the day we have in front of us. I'm not sure if that makes any sense to you, but I hope it does in some small way. I'm not in any way trying to play down the gravity of how you feel. I'm just saying that when we have a few days in front of us that we have to negotiate no matter what, how we approach them can make a big difference to how we cope and get through them.

I'm sure you will give your daughter a wonderful Christmas regardless. If you do feel like you might need a little bit of time to feel emotional maybe just nip off upstairs for a bit and give yourself that freedom. We all need that safety valve for our emotions. I have no issues with crying my heart out to release tension sometimes. Just do what you need to do to look after yourself and get you through what is a very stressful time of year anyway.

I do wish you all the best in getting the support you need. I also hope the meds kick in pretty soon and help stabilise things a little.

Take care, eh.  :)

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6648 on: December 16, 2018, 11:09:53 am »
Cheers, I'll try those websites - appreciate your help. I'm getting this weird adrenaline-type feeling in my limbs when I wake up, it's what stops me from getting back to sleep - is that a normal side-effect of Sertraline? I've been taking it in the morning, between 10 and 11, is that the best time to take it if I want to make sure I get some sleep?

Other than than tiredness, which can also be down to the depression, I'm not sure I got many side effects. If I wake early hours I just roll over and go back to sleep but anytime after 6, I just wake up anyway.

I always try to take mine earlier than that, usually as soon as I'm up - although typing this has again reminded me I need to take this mornings tablet. So long as you are taking them at a regular time, then that is the important thing.

Hi,

I know some people on Sertraline but I've no personal experience of being on it myself. I am, however, on another med in the Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI) family called Escitalopram. How meds affect people can be quite individual. Some get few or no side-effects, but some get a lot. They certainly can take time to kick in, and if a person can stick with them this long I'd suggest not even making a judgement on them until at least six weeks on them. It's actually not uncommon to feel worse on meds initially. I know I did. I had side-effects. I was clenching my jaw involuntarily all the time and chipped a tooth doing so. My spatial awareness was all over the place. I was even more anxious. I'm on these for Social Anxiety Disorder, Depression and suicidal ideation. I think if I was in work when I started them I'd have struggled to stay on them, but as I wasn't I could keep my head down and ride it out. After six or so weeks I felt the side-effects fade away and I suddenly began to feel more stable and calmer. I actually made a little diary just to note how I was feeling on any given day, just so I could chart my progress. I'd draw a face next to each diary entry with either a frown, an indifferent face or a smile depending on my feelings that day. This meant that I could chart at a glance any change in my mood. I can tell you, for a good few weeks it was all frowns and indifference, but the smiles eventually came.

For anyone taking these meds I want to just say that they are no cure. They don't take your problems away and they aren't 'happy' pills. Underlying problems still remain and need to be addressed. I know most people realise this anyway, but there are still many who have unrealistic expectations, which lead to them becoming disillusioned and binning off the meds suggesting they 'don't work'. Another major reason for people binning them off too early is the potential side-effects. As I said, you can actually feel worse before you feel better on these. For me, the meds 'work' but that is because I have realistic expectations of them and did do before I went on them. For me, they help give me a sense of having a more solid foundation on which to build, whereas in the past I was all over the place and felt I was trying to build a life on shifting sands in a hurricane. This more stable feeling was something I've built on by having counselling, CBT and other therapies over the years, as well as doing things to grow my personal development. As I said earlier, any underlying issues won't be removed by meds. We have to address them too, but when on meds we can be in a better place in order to do just that, and also be far more receptive to it.

I've been deeply suicidal on plenty of occasions in my time. The Samaritans saved my life one night. I've pulled myself round right at the end of my tether a good few times too. We can come through these things, although, at times, it feels like we can't. I can definitely empathise with you regarding those despairing thoughts and feelings. I'd get them too, especially in the middle of the night when we are always at our lowest ebb. I actually learned how to deal with them by studying Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). This teaches us how to see thoughts as just thoughts rather than a reality. I can generally just accept them now, without trying to push them away, and see them like leaves just passing on a stream rather than something to wrestle with and fight against. This whole approach to thoughts and feelings has pretty much changed my life for the better, and I only started out with ACT via a basic self-help book by Russ Harris called 'The Happiness Trap'. I then went on to learn it more thoroughly via text books.

This brings me onto another aspect of improving our mental wellbeing. Being holistic. By that, I mean looking into anything that might help us and employing it. I take stuff from all kinds of mental health resources online, self-help books, therapy text books, my own personal counselling, CBT or any other therapies I can access, then I take out what fits best with me personally and I use it. There is no right or wrong way. No therapy has ever been proven superior to the rest in research either. All therapies are theories rather than absolute facts. What helps one may not help another. It's really a case of extracting what helps you from wherever you can get it.

You said people talk to you about 'just moving forward.' I think it's so hard for people to understand what goes on inside our heads. Unless you've lived it you can't understand it. People often mean well, but if it were a simple case of just moving forward we'd have done so by now, wouldn't we? When everything feels so dark and bleak, our outlooks almost become tunnel-visioned. It's so difficult to see anything outside of what's right in front, and what's in front can be so horribly painful, can't it.

I've gone through my own stuff all my life and still deal with the fall-out on a daily basis so I know how tough it can be. I also know how difficult it can be to get support right when you need it. I qualified in counselling myself so I know how long the waiting lists often are these days. Despite that, getting yourself on the lists is better sooner rather than later. Can your GP get you on any lists for counselling or CBT? If so, get yourself on the list asap, and at least you will know that you have support coming up in the near future. By the time it comes around the meds should have kicked in and you may feel more stable by then and better able to make use of any therapy you may have.

If you speak to your GP, make sure s/he is fully aware of how serious you feel things are for you. You mentioned the words 'utter despair' and 'suicidal' in your post. So, clearly you are not in a good place at the moment. Your GP and anyone that you speak to about your issues need to know this. As I said, get yourself on any lists there may be for therapy and any other available support via your GP as soon as you can.

In the meantime, it might be useful to use a bit of Mindfulness with regard to Christmas and getting through it. Basically by recognising just how you are feeling, not trying to fight with it, but instead, just vowing to smile and push through Christmas regardless. We had to do that last Christmas. We lost our dad, mum lost her life partner just before Christmas. We basically had to acknowledge that we all felt like utter shit, but make it as good as we could for our own sakes and in memory of him. We are bound to feel totally miserable, but we can acknowledge that whilst also making the best of the day we have in front of us. I'm not sure if that makes any sense to you, but I hope it does in some small way. I'm not in any way trying to play down the gravity of how you feel. I'm just saying that when we have a few days in front of us that we have to negotiate no matter what, how we approach them can make a big difference to how we cope and get through them.

I'm sure you will give your daughter a wonderful Christmas regardless. If you do feel like you might need a little bit of time to feel emotional maybe just nip off upstairs for a bit and give yourself that freedom. We all need that safety valve for our emotions. I have no issues with crying my heart out to release tension sometimes. Just do what you need to do to look after yourself and get you through what is a very stressful time of year anyway.

I do wish you all the best in getting the support you need. I also hope the meds kick in pretty soon and help stabilise things a little.

Take care, eh.  :)

Another brilliant post mate.

The switch from Prozac to sertraline has definitely helped me get that foundation to build from. I found that with Prozac, I had a lot of side effects, but the worst part was I never felt like I was getting the stability I needed. My wife said she felt any improvement in me was forced, this wasn't the case, as the therapy I received helped massively, but once that stopped I slipped back again. Since I started on Sertraline, I feel a lot more stable and able to deal with things in a lot better way. I still have a long way to go, but the home life is so much calmer and enjoyable. The big shock was a few weeks ago when I forgot to take the meds for a few days and I just bombed out - for a whole week I was a nightmare. I'm now back to the calm place.

I'm learning meditation as part of my CBT and the first time I did it I was shocked at things I had never noticed in my own body. I've also started going the gym which is helping a lot.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6649 on: December 16, 2018, 07:25:25 pm »
Another brilliant post mate.

The switch from Prozac to sertraline has definitely helped me get that foundation to build from. I found that with Prozac, I had a lot of side effects, but the worst part was I never felt like I was getting the stability I needed. My wife said she felt any improvement in me was forced, this wasn't the case, as the therapy I received helped massively, but once that stopped I slipped back again. Since I started on Sertraline, I feel a lot more stable and able to deal with things in a lot better way. I still have a long way to go, but the home life is so much calmer and enjoyable. The big shock was a few weeks ago when I forgot to take the meds for a few days and I just bombed out - for a whole week I was a nightmare. I'm now back to the calm place.

I'm learning meditation as part of my CBT and the first time I did it I was shocked at things I had never noticed in my own body. I've also started going the gym which is helping a lot.
Cheers mate.

On my mobile, so this may be a short reply.
Anyway, I'm glad to hear the switch in meds helped bring you that more solid base on which to build. I think that sense of stability can really help when building a recovery.

It's good that your home life feels calmer and more enjoyable now. When getting through depression I find it valuable to have a safe place in your life where you feel secure. I find that depression really bites when most of all areas of our lives are insecure, in turmoil or are stressful. If we feel shit, our work life feels shit, we are unemployed, our home life is stressed etc we can feel trapped, without an outlet and overwhelmed. At least, when one area of our life is solid and secure, it gives us something to build around and helps us feel that we have some grip on our life. That one positive aspect can act like something of a life jacket.

You mentioned that therapy helped you. That's great. But, often, the hard part is utilising what you've learned and found helpful after the therapy is over. Lots of people let it slip, and they eventually slide back into a similar rut as they were in before. I think good therapy helps a person to become their own therapist eventually. That way, they keep employing the things that help them once therapy is over.

I'm not surprised you had that dip after forgetting the meds for a few days. You have to be careful on these things. They act on your brain chemistry, and really have to be taken as prescribed. I'm actually sat with someone now who is on Sertraline and they experience the exact same thing when they've forgotten to take them for a couple of days. Something else I'd say to anyone on SSRI meds is never come off them cold turkey. You really have to wean off them under GP advice. I decided to take myself off my meds once, without consulting my doctor. I thought I was doing it correctly but ended up a shivering, gibbering wreck crying in a heap on the kitchen floor. I'd not recommend it.

Good luck with the CBT and the meditation. I think both can be really helpful, as can regular exercise. The more we do, the more we feel like doing. That's in stark contrast to the depressed state where we do less and less then feel like doing even less still. The less we do, the less capable we feel too. It's a downward spiral, so it does pay to do as much as we can so the spiral is reversed.

I wish you all the best, as I do everyone else here who is going through depression. Take care.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline StockyRacistBannedTwat

• Main Stander
  • J'aime le rock progressif
« Reply #6650 on: December 16, 2018, 07:45:52 pm »
Something very close to my heart,I still suffer with depression,back in 2010 I took a massive overdose,my Landlord chose the right time to come to my flat,he found me in a vegetative state,I got whisked off to Fazak hossy,had my stomach pumped and got told off by all and sundry,I still suffer with depression,I am on Citalopram atm but they don't do fuckall,I do know one day I will either walk in front of a bus,train,lorry etc,it's only a matter of time,life has been a big c*nt to me,I have alienated myself from most of my family and friends as well,the only thing keeping me going atm is LFC :/ x
San Miguel,LFC and Prog Rock=The best place to be :)

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #6651 on: December 16, 2018, 08:14:26 pm »
Something very close to my heart,I still suffer with depression,back in 2010 I took a massive overdose,my Landlord chose the right time to come to my flat,he found me in a vegetative state,I got whisked off to Fazak hossy,had my stomach pumped and got told off by all and sundry,I still suffer with depression,I am on Citalopram atm but they don't do fuckall,I do know one day I will either walk in front of a bus,train,lorry etc,it's only a matter of time,life has been a big c*nt to me,I have alienated myself from most of my family and friends as well,the only thing keeping me going atm is LFC :/ x
Form problems in my family, you may have alienated your self, but they will be fucking glad that you are still around.

Now at least you have the chance to build bridges.

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6652 on: December 16, 2018, 11:45:09 pm »
Feel free to message

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6653 on: December 17, 2018, 08:00:45 pm »

Well if you've lasted 52 years let's hope it's another 52 before you walk in front of that bus. Life's neither this nor that, you make your own reasons to exist, looks like you've got a few, add some more.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6654 on: December 20, 2018, 11:47:03 pm »
It's the most loneliest time of the year  :'( :'( :'( :'(
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6655 on: December 21, 2018, 06:52:34 am »
It's the most loneliest time of the year  :'( :'( :'( :'(

We're all here for anyone every day.

Had a therapy session yesterday, it started 20 minutes late as the therapists are so busy this time of year. Scheduled my next on for January as there are people in far more need of assistance at this time of year than I am.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6656 on: December 24, 2018, 04:11:36 pm »
Sending positive thoughts and vibes to all those in need at this time of the year.

I'll be spending Christmas mostly alone, out of choice.  I'll be lonely, but I need control of my space; if I went to somebody else's home I'd feel trapped, and I'd rather feel a bit lonely than claustrophobic.

Still my sister said she can pop round, and I hear the Wetherspoons at Lime Street is open till 3pm, so I may take my doodle pad there and sit off for a few hours.  I don't mind being alone really - it's because everywhere else is shut that can give me cabin fever, so nipping to a pub might make it feel like a more normal day for me.

Merry Chrimbo everyone!  :wave
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6657 on: December 24, 2018, 05:35:23 pm »
Sending positive thoughts and vibes to all those in need at this time of the year.

I'll be spending Christmas mostly alone, out of choice.  I'll be lonely, but I need control of my space; if I went to somebody else's home I'd feel trapped, and I'd rather feel a bit lonely than claustrophobic.

Still my sister said she can pop round, and I hear the Wetherspoons at Lime Street is open till 3pm, so I may take my doodle pad there and sit off for a few hours.  I don't mind being alone really - it's because everywhere else is shut that can give me cabin fever, so nipping to a pub might make it feel like a more normal day for me.

Merry Chrimbo everyone!  :wave

All the best mate, hope your day passes by ok.
 I'm on my own as well, have given up now so it's just a normal day for me.

I hope your move is still on and it's not causing you too much stress. Best wishes to you  :thumbup

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #6658 on: December 24, 2018, 06:04:25 pm »
All the best to all..from a very occasional poster.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6659 on: December 24, 2018, 06:08:30 pm »
All the best mate, hope your day passes by ok.
 I'm on my own as well, have given up now so it's just a normal day for me.

I hope your move is still on and it's not causing you too much stress. Best wishes to you  :thumbup

Thanks mate.  My move is still on, although it got pushed back to January.  Probably for the best, as the guy with the van was only available one evening, the guy with the mini van had a vomiting bug, my sister could only do three hours, and my bestie decided to run her car up a range rover's backside.  Oh and I broke a finger as well. :lmao

I'm sure I'll be able to laugh about it one day! ;D
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6660 on: December 24, 2018, 07:06:05 pm »
All the love at a tricky time of year :wave
No time for caution.

Offline gemofabird

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6661 on: December 24, 2018, 07:22:48 pm »
Best wishes to all fellow rawkites at this hectic part of the year.

Just remember tomorrow week it will all be done and dusted and we can look forward to 2019.

Keep the faith!! God bless...
The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses.

Online Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6662 on: December 24, 2018, 09:17:20 pm »
Hi Guys and Girls - I need some help and advise if anyone can help...

My wife and I are due to have our one and only round of IVF starting Jan 9th - I've lost two stone and she's lost 5 stone to meet the strict NHS rules for qualifying. It's been a real tough 18 months helping my wife through every setback, watching all her friends and family members become pregnant with ease and whilst she seems to have found a support group of women - I can feel its starting to take it's toll on me. It's probably not depression, but I'm definitely getting waves of anxiety and I'm not feeling myself.

Does anyone know any good sites where to get help or advice for similar things?
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #6663 on: December 24, 2018, 10:38:02 pm »

My wife and I are due to have our one and only round of IVF starting Jan 9th - I've lost two stone and she's lost 5 stone to meet the strict NHS rules for qualifying. It's been a real tough 18 months helping my wife through every setback, watching all her friends and family members become pregnant with ease and whilst she seems to have found a support group of women - I can feel its starting to take it's toll on me. It's probably not depression, but I'm definitely getting waves of anxiety and I'm not feeling myself.

Not specific to your situation but I did find mind (mind.org.uk) helpful.

I ended up seeing a therapist (under my own steam) and have periodically checked back in with her as well as going back to the site on occasions.

I'm no "expert" and my situation was not the same at all. I had severe self esteem and self worth issues. Mostly under control now.

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
« Reply #6664 on: December 24, 2018, 10:52:37 pm »

Thought it was such a cliche. But if were there was an expression of trying "too hard" its this. After 4 miscarriges we gave up....we now have 2 beautiful girls. Enjoy the ride (so to speak )
"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"......Bill Shankly

Offline gemofabird

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6665 on: December 25, 2018, 07:10:07 pm »
From HUKD:

As someone who's now completely fine with admitting I went through dark times of depression that did ultimately lead to overwhelming feelings of loneliness too, these charities and organisations really help.

If this post just helps one person, I feel that it is worthwhile posting.

Mind

MindInfoline: 0300 123 3393
mind.org.uk/information-support/helplines/

The Mix

Helpline: 0808 808 4994
themix.org.uk
(Online chat & Mesenger service also available)

Age UK

Helpline: 0800 169 6565
ageuk.org.uk

The Samaritans

Tel: 116 123
samaritans.org/how-we-can-help-you/contact-us

Cruse Festive Bereavement Helpline

Free helpline: 0808 808 1677
cruse.org.uk/telephone-support/christmas

Family Lives - Divorce and Separation

Free helpline :08088002222
familylives.org.uk/advice/divorce-and-separation/coping-with-holidays/coping-with-christmas-when-your-divorced-or-separated/

There are lots of fantastic organisations so please don't feel alone this festive period. Tjis is a great community so hopefully nobody feels alone. Its good to talk.

Fingers crossed that this post doesn't come across as too morbid 🤞🙏

Thank you @Cymru12
For those living in Wales there’s also C.A.L.L. (community advice & listening line) 0800 132 737.
callhelpline.org.uk

Thank you @ewen1605
For men who are feeling down or in crisis, you can also call CALM (Campaign Against Living Miserably):
0800 585858 (5pm - midnight)
thecalmzone.net

Thank you @Delightful123
SANEline, the specialist mental health helpline, offers confidential emotional support.
Available on 0300 304 7000 between 6pm and 11pm each evening. Open as usual over Christmas.

SilverLine
A free, confidential helpline providing information, friendship and advice to older people, open 24 hours a day, every day of the year. 0800 4 70 80 90

DrinkLine
The national alcohol helpline. If you're worried about your own or someone elses drinking, you can call free, in complete confidence on 0300 123 1110 (weekdays 9am – 8pm, weekends 11am – 4pm). Open as usual over Christmas.
The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses.

Online kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #6666 on: January 4, 2019, 09:49:26 pm »
This thread should never drop to page two.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #6667 on: January 5, 2019, 09:11:48 pm »
2019. Crap so far.

Offline jonkrux

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6668 on: January 7, 2019, 04:48:23 am »
I'm not entirely sure why I'm posting here.. I've got fantastic friends and family who, for the most part, get me through. I've had a brilliantly day with my old man today and feel relatively happy... within myself though,  I could do with a conversation.  I've been battling with myself for a couple of years and tried everything. Can someone drop me a message? (Again,  not quite sure why I've put it here but I've seen how rawk comes together as a proper community and I could really do with a hand. Thank you)

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6669 on: January 11, 2019, 12:25:30 pm »
I'm not entirely sure why I'm posting here.. I've got fantastic friends and family who, for the most part, get me through. I've had a brilliantly day with my old man today and feel relatively happy... within myself though,  I could do with a conversation.  I've been battling with myself for a couple of years and tried everything. Can someone drop me a message? (Again,  not quite sure why I've put it here but I've seen how rawk comes together as a proper community and I could really do with a hand. Thank you)
Did anyone message? Feel free to shoot me one if you still need to talk  :)

Online kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #6670 on: January 18, 2019, 01:46:02 am »
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6671 on: January 18, 2019, 06:22:12 pm »
About 5 weeks into my CBT, scores are coming down now, dealing with shit is making me knackered though, therapist says that is normal. Starting on the deep stuff next week, currently out in Tenerife and starting to relax. Therapist thinks I may possibly be suffering with SAD too, so I'm getting some Much needed sun and the longer days are helping. Twenty past six and the sun still shining. Our balcony overlooks the Atlantic and the island of La Gomera is right in front of me. Sitting here on my own, watching the sun set, is having such a calming effect on me.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6672 on: January 19, 2019, 01:22:29 am »
About 5 weeks into my CBT, scores are coming down now, dealing with shit is making me knackered though, therapist says that is normal. Starting on the deep stuff next week, currently out in Tenerife and starting to relax. Therapist thinks I may possibly be suffering with SAD too, so I'm getting some Much needed sun and the longer days are helping. Twenty past six and the sun still shining. Our balcony overlooks the Atlantic and the island of La Gomera is right in front of me. Sitting here on my own, watching the sun set, is having such a calming effect on me.

Yep, that's normal. A bit like how grueling physical exercise can leave you drained afterwards, dealing with psychological issues can leave you feeling drained emotionally too. Both can leave you in a better place in the longer term, though. Self-care is important. Giving yourself time and space to recharge your batteries is invaluable. It sounds like you are doing just that, out there on Tenerife.  :)

Therapy can be hard work, but so too is living life with things such as depression and anxiety. The hard work can be well worth it if it helps you cope, and also helps you identify tools you can use in future when times are tough. SAD is something I'm familiar with myself. I've never been diagnosed as such, but I notice a real downturn in my mood when the nights draw in, the days are shorter and sunlight is in short supply. I'm a summer person really. I think in winter it can pay to make the most of being outside and active whenever possible and making full use of the available light. I know that can be difficult, especially so because our bodies just sort of want to hibernate, but getting out and staying active can really help.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday. Don't forget about that 'self-care' because it's important. All the best with the rest of your CBT, too.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 01:24:08 am by Son of Spion »

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6673 on: January 19, 2019, 11:23:26 am »
Cheers SoS.

When I first started for my employer 30 years ago I was a driver so I was out in all weathers but I got plenty of light. I transferred into IT in 2001 and then it was permanently out of the light for me. I probably noticed it in early 2008 when we first came out here and how my mood changed. I'm also a summer person, I make sure I'm outside as much as possible. With the depression I've not been driving the trucks as I just don't have the energy for it, so I barely get outside. I've been on staggered hours though, so I am home just after 3 and that helps.

Been for a couple of long wAlks, done so swimming with the kids and going to use the hotel gym so will be staying active.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6674 on: January 19, 2019, 05:59:07 pm »
Cheers SoS.

When I first started for my employer 30 years ago I was a driver so I was out in all weathers but I got plenty of light. I transferred into IT in 2001 and then it was permanently out of the light for me. I probably noticed it in early 2008 when we first came out here and how my mood changed. I'm also a summer person, I make sure I'm outside as much as possible. With the depression I've not been driving the trucks as I just don't have the energy for it, so I barely get outside. I've been on staggered hours though, so I am home just after 3 and that helps.

Been for a couple of long wAlks, done so swimming with the kids and going to use the hotel gym so will be staying active.

This is the thing with depression, I find. You lose motivation and energy. This means you do less, and the less you do, the less you want to do and/or feel able to do. It can be something of a downward spiral. It can work both ways, though. I know the initial efforts can feel daunting and monumentally difficult to make, but once we get active and the ball starts rolling, we reach a point, after a time, where the more we do, the more we feel like doing. The more active we are, the more we feel able to do. So, we enter something of an upward trajectory. I know it's impossible for life to always feel good, but it's never all bad either. So it's all about finding a workable balance.

Anyway, it's good to hear that you have got some sun on your back and are getting out and about.  8)

I like beach walks and, on the occasions I get to do it, hill walks. There is something about the big vistas, big skies and panoramas that help you get from being stuck inside your own head and somehow back out and feeling part of the bigger picture again. Every little helps, I think. It's just a case of working out what helps us individually, then doing more of it. I'm quite pragmatic like that. If it helps, I use it more. If it hinders, I do less of it or cut it out completely wherever possible.

As always, take care, mate.  :wave
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 06:05:32 pm by Son of Spion »

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6675 on: January 21, 2019, 04:14:37 pm »
This time a year ago, I was in and out of hospital after initially having a paracetamol overdose and then constantly trying to hang myself for about a month. It was the worst time of my life.

I've since gone through my Masters - still a few modules to complete, but I'll get through that. I then went into the big wide world and got a job and subsequently left because I was lied to about what it entailed. For months I was unemployed and very, very low. But I've now been offered my dream job and things are so far on their way up that I currently can't believe it.

I've met the girl of my dreams. Whereas my ex was telling me everyone hated me and to go kill myself, my current girlfriend is telling me I can do whatever I want and she supported me no matter how low and desperate I was about needing a job.

I guess I just wanted to say how happy I am, how much things can change in a year and to say thank you to everyone in this thread who messaged when I was low. And to everyone who's low now, I can honestly say that I was so down last year. Things can get better, especially with the support from RAWK.

Cheers, fellas  ;D

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #6676 on: January 21, 2019, 06:05:25 pm »
This time a year ago, I was in and out of hospital after initially having a paracetamol overdose and then constantly trying to hang myself for about a month. It was the worst time of my life.

I've since gone through my Masters - still a few modules to complete, but I'll get through that. I then went into the big wide world and got a job and subsequently left because I was lied to about what it entailed. For months I was unemployed and very, very low. But I've now been offered my dream job and things are so far on their way up that I currently can't believe it.

I've met the girl of my dreams. Whereas my ex was telling me everyone hated me and to go kill myself, my current girlfriend is telling me I can do whatever I want and she supported me no matter how low and desperate I was about needing a job.

I guess I just wanted to say how happy I am, how much things can change in a year and to say thank you to everyone in this thread who messaged when I was low. And to everyone who's low now, I can honestly say that I was so down last year. Things can get better, especially with the support from RAWK.

Cheers, fellas  ;D

Good to hear, mate. Very good to hear. It is really great to see you come through the other end.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #6677 on: January 21, 2019, 06:12:31 pm »
Fucking excellent news that, am chuffed to bits - very clear memories of where you were at this time last year - what an amazing journey you've been on. :scarf

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6678 on: January 21, 2019, 09:12:02 pm »
Cheers, fellas. Obviously 23 goalscoring Redmen and their barmy German manager have helped, too.  ;D

Offline bogrollsbike

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6679 on: January 21, 2019, 10:56:47 pm »
Cheers, fellas. Obviously 23 goalscoring Redmen and their barmy German manager have helped, too.  ;D

I remember reading that,glad to hear you are doing well.hopefully come May things will be even better!