Author Topic: Lost Scouse Lingo  (Read 301211 times)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Lost Scouse Lingo
« Reply #1360 on: July 9, 2020, 04:27:02 pm »
Reminds me of 'getting an eggy on' - someone getting narky.

I also remember Quegg and Quentin for a homosexual - I think it came from Quentin Crisp.

And Meff for an unpleasant person.

I remember all those too, especially what the fuck have you got an eggy on for?
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #1361 on: July 9, 2020, 09:04:39 pm »
Reminds me of 'getting an eggy on' - someone getting narky.

I also remember Quegg and Quentin for a homosexual - I think it came from Quentin Crisp.

And Meff for an unpleasant person.

You can't use the word egg on here as it's disrespectful to vegans . As for the other word. Eh ?
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #1362 on: July 16, 2020, 09:21:49 am »
Was Jimmy Chin Chin or Jimmy Hill or Chinny Chin Chin or Jimmy (yep, all based on Jimmy Hill with the long chin) a Liverpool thing?

Was meant for a liar or teller of tall stories - stroking your chin with one hand would usually accompany the sentiment.

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1363 on: July 16, 2020, 06:22:48 pm »
Was Jimmy Chin Chin or Jimmy Hill or Chinny Chin Chin or Jimmy (yep, all based on Jimmy Hill with the long chin) a Liverpool thing?

Was meant for a liar or teller of tall stories - stroking your chin with one hand would usually accompany the sentiment.

;D

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1364 on: July 16, 2020, 08:07:42 pm »

Probably a Scouse thing.

Asked the missus and they called it chin wag.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #1365 on: September 16, 2020, 11:33:36 am »
Chinny Hill.. ;)

..and it was en-errr too, index finger bent..bit of a V shape below the tongue inside the lower lip.
If you were in a group conversation with someone who exaggerated the truth a bit the en-errr would be silent & you would sometimes see someone do it sneakily that way too
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1366 on: September 16, 2020, 12:56:08 pm »
 ;D

^ right! Where is it from?

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1367 on: September 16, 2020, 02:35:34 pm »
Don't know if it's specifically Scouse but "Get out me light" oft used by my Dad when he was trying to repair a badly made piece of British householdappliance when I crept up behind him to see what he was doing and blocked out the light falling over his shoulder.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #1368 on: September 17, 2020, 07:43:08 am »
;D

^ right! Where is it from?

Fuck knows..probably off some 60's or 70's tv programme like Some mothers do av em or alike, would be very surprised if this was done anywhere else but here.
It did later develop to just the tongue in the lower lip & silent too before it disappeared..started doing it again yesterday.  ;D

Me arl fella also used to say get out me light too.  :D
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 07:45:13 am by Medellin »

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1369 on: September 17, 2020, 08:27:21 am »
Fuck knows..probably off some 60's or 70's tv programme like Some mothers do av em or alike, would be very surprised if this was done anywhere else but here.
It did later develop to just the tongue in the lower lip & silent too before it disappeared..started doing it again yesterday.  ;D

Me arl fella also used to say get out me light too.  :D

In the colder months when the heating was on my dad used to say to us 'shut that front door you're warming the street'   ;D

Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1370 on: September 17, 2020, 08:37:14 am »
Don't know if it's specifically Scouse but "Get out me light" oft used by my Dad when he was trying to repair a badly made piece of British householdappliance when I crept up behind him to see what he was doing and blocked out the light falling over his shoulder.

Think it comes from this...

Thereupon many statesmen and philosophers came to Alexander with their congratulations, and he expected that Diogenes of Sinope also, who was tarrying in Corinth, would do likewise. But since that philosopher took not the slightest notice of Alexander, and continued to enjoy his leisure in the suburb Craneion, Alexander went in person to see him; and he found him lying in the sun. Diogenes raised himself up a little when he saw so many people coming towards him, and fixed his eyes upon Alexander. And when that monarch addressed him with greetings, and asked if he wanted anything, "Yes," said Diogenes, "stand a little out of my sun."[7] It is said that Alexander was so struck by this, and admired so much the haughtiness and grandeur of the man who had nothing but scorn for him, that he said to his followers, who were laughing and jesting about the philosopher as they went away, "But truly, if I were not Alexander, I wish I were Diogenes."[8]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diogenes_and_Alexander
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 08:39:38 am by redbyrdz »
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #1371 on: September 17, 2020, 09:30:55 am »
In the colder months when the heating was on my dad used to say to us 'shut that front door you're warming the street'   ;D

The most popular one we got on those lines was 'were you born in a field'?
Barn I think was also used..maybe a wool thing? 🙊

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1372 on: September 17, 2020, 10:48:51 am »
The most popular one we got on those lines was 'were you born in a field'?
Barn I think was also used..maybe a wool thing? 🙊

Ha ha yeh - that one was for our front gate 'Were you born in a field?' 'No dad' 'Then shut the bloody gate'  ;D

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1373 on: September 23, 2020, 09:21:21 am »
Was Divvy a Scouse thing?

Obviously meaning unintelligent person/dickhead/idiot

Just asking ya divvy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1374 on: September 23, 2020, 09:42:09 am »
Was Divvy a Scouse thing?

Obviously meaning unintelligent person/dickhead/idiot

Just asking ya divvy

Well it was in use in the mid Sixties so it's certainly vintage, if not quite antique.

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1375 on: September 23, 2020, 02:41:40 pm »
People still use divvy quite a lot.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1376 on: September 24, 2020, 12:48:11 pm »

I haven't heard it since the 90s

Maybe I'm just not mixing with the right people  :wave

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1377 on: September 30, 2020, 08:42:16 pm »
I haven't heard it since the 90s

Maybe I'm just not mixing with the right people  :wave

My kids call their Grandad (my Dad) divvy Bob.

He always called me a divvy when I was a kid and I've always used the word and still use it now messing about with my kids. Probably better than dickhead ;D

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #1378 on: October 1, 2020, 04:03:08 pm »
Sponk!😁
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1379 on: October 1, 2020, 04:14:37 pm »

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1380 on: October 1, 2020, 04:30:14 pm »
Sponk!😁

Noun - a Sponky to catch it in

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #1381 on: October 1, 2020, 04:31:07 pm »

Yeah divvy is still used in a friendly put-down kind of way. I definitely still use it.

I always thought it was Scouse, but then I heard my friend from Sheffield using it so it might be more of a Northern word generally, but maybe it gets used here more then in other places.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1382 on: October 1, 2020, 05:37:31 pm »

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1383 on: October 1, 2020, 08:16:51 pm »
A sponky was a used Johhny

Ah, when I was a kid, like about 8, I was taught it was just another version of a johnny and it stuck. Mind you, this was the same kid who said his brother pissed in his birds fanny and got her pregnant ;D

Punk Girl " Is that Johhny Rotten?"

Punk Lad - "Nah, I've only used it twice"
« Last Edit: October 1, 2020, 08:20:45 pm by rob19:6 "And yeah doth the Lord liketh trucking." »

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #1384 on: October 1, 2020, 10:57:09 pm »
Noun - a Sponky to catch it in
Sponkbag.
Not you rob  ;D

EDIT...
When I was about 13 me and my mate were sitting in our lobby just gabbing.
My dad was shoveling up some coal in the cubby hole to put on the fire.
As he lifted it the shovel tilted and the coal fell off.
"Fucking sponkdust!" He muttered.
We both fell on the floor laughing our tits off for about ten minutes  :lmao
Still makes me smile when I think about it  ;D

« Last Edit: October 1, 2020, 11:06:38 pm by Feline Posterior Cavity ∗ »
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #1385 on: October 3, 2020, 03:35:57 am »
I used to love the verbal sparring between the young lads of Anny Comp and their female counterparts of Stanley Park School for Girls. There were many examples to choose from, but one that came back to me recently was this particular set piece.

Young swain of Anny Comp, "Aye girl, 'ave yiz gorra match"?

To which the young demoiselle would reply rather coquettishly, "Yeah, your face an' my fuckin' arse".
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1386 on: October 3, 2020, 11:17:10 am »
Re: Sponky  ;D

man haven't heard that for donkeys

I remember seeing a johnny in the road when I was a little kid and picked it up and was just about to blow it up thinking it was a balloon and my dad snatched it out of my hand

I started to cry and he said 'never touch those balloons son as they're full of harmful chemicals'

I was confused but happy to say that to this day I have never ever blown one again (had to be careful with my wording there - still doesn't read right to be fair  :o)

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1387 on: October 3, 2020, 07:58:04 pm »
Re: Sponky  ;D

man haven't heard that for donkeys

I remember seeing a johnny in the road when I was a little kid and picked it up and was just about to blow it up thinking it was a balloon and my dad snatched it out of my hand

I started to cry and he said 'never touch those balloons son as they're full of harmful chemicals'

I was confused but happy to say that to this day I have never ever blown one again (had to be careful with my wording there - still doesn't read right to be fair  :o)

Nick will find something to rip you apart with ;D

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #1388 on: October 3, 2020, 08:15:04 pm »
Two words i heard yesterday which I ain't heard in a long time..

Flim & Flange.

Behave..they weren't in the same conversation and it wasn't any sort of proposition neither.  :D

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #1389 on: October 3, 2020, 11:49:22 pm »
Two words i heard yesterday which I ain't heard in a long time..

Flim & Flange.

Behave.. they weren't in the same conversation and it wasn't any sort of proposition neither.  :D
Flim deal of red leb...  8)
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1390 on: October 4, 2020, 04:37:21 am »

ha ha - right

flim/flimsy - five pounds (£5), early 1900s, so called because of the thin and flimsy paper on which five pound notes of the time were printed.

https://www.businessballs.com/amusement-stress-relief/money-slang/

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1391 on: October 6, 2020, 03:21:27 pm »

Flashbacks to the Bow n Arrow  :wave

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1392 on: October 6, 2020, 04:32:39 pm »
ha ha - right

flim/flimsy - five pounds (£5), early 1900s, so called because of the thin and flimsy paper on which five pound notes of the time were printed.

https://www.businessballs.com/amusement-stress-relief/money-slang/

No way, is that where it's from? I always thought it was just because it was a flimsy little stick of rocky. I remember explaining to my perplexed uni housemates, a flim is a fiver is a gram, its all interchangeable

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #1393 on: October 6, 2020, 10:22:53 pm »
Flashbacks to the Bow n Arrow  :wave
Same for me in the Brewers Arms  8)
What a time to be alive  :thumbup

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1394 on: October 7, 2020, 10:06:58 am »
Hard cack - Bad luck or sheer indifference.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #1395 on: October 7, 2020, 12:41:49 pm »
Grock - thats a proper scouse saying, as in "yer fookin big grock"

Haven't heard it for years, means big hard looking person but not particularly intelligent, think 'Shake Hands' off Boys From The Black Stuff.

Another one which I genuinely don't know is scouse or not is 'yard dog'. Now I think it could mean one of two things if I mentioned it in a pub, the first is a particular type of footy player, think the entire Everton squad, think Harry Maguire....... the other meaning is a cross-bred dog that sits outside all day, or the types that used to live on the roof of pubs on estates in the 80s and 90s and would bark down at you if you walked past. There was a few on Canny Farm.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #1396 on: October 7, 2020, 01:33:12 pm »
Grock - thats a proper scouse saying, as in "yer fookin big grock"

Haven't heard it for years, means big hard looking person but not particularly intelligent, think 'Shake Hands' off Boys From The Black Stuff.

Another one which I genuinely don't know is scouse or not is 'yard dog'. Now I think it could mean one of two things if I mentioned it in a pub, the first is a particular type of footy player, think the entire Everton squad, think Harry Maguire....... the other meaning is a cross-bred dog that sits outside all day, or the types that used to live on the roof of pubs on estates in the 80s and 90s and would bark down at you if you walked past. There was a few on Canny Farm.

Yard dogs lived on the roof?

Roof dogs?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #1397 on: October 7, 2020, 02:27:07 pm »
Aye a Grock was a big c*nt & hard with it, we used to call other big fuckers a plank.
Yard dog was always a shit hoofing centre half to us.
Skinheads on a raft..don't hear that anymore.
Sagging..

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1398 on: October 7, 2020, 07:23:24 pm »
Same for me in the Brewers Arms  8)
What a time to be alive  :thumbup

Use to score from Lourdens too ( Page Moss ) , The tennies on St Oswalds in the Swan , Hartsbourne Heights in Childwall Valley too.

What a time it was when the top of the bus was full of people chonging  ;D

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1399 on: October 7, 2020, 07:37:12 pm »
Yard dogs lived on the roof?

Roof dogs?

Evil bastards is what they were.

Windmill Pub, Tower Hill. Used to walk past the back of this on the way to/from school and this pair used to lean over the edge barking like fuck trying to get at you. If they'd ever had got the balls to jump we'd have been dead.