Author Topic: Lovely Liverpudlians  (Read 2467 times)

Offline SvenJohansen

• Fast single-handed action expert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Lovely Liverpudlians
« on: March 19, 2023, 05:00:33 pm »
The title for this thread is a quote I heard last week from one of the guides at the Anfield Experience Stadium Tour that the wife and me did on Saturday 11th. I found it really cool & funny and it's apt for my post I think. To all you lovely Liverpudlians I'd like to say that I really like your city and the locals in it.

Wifey and me spent a few days in your city and really enjoyed it. The first thing I noticed was the majority of buildings are red brick. I don't know why but I really like that fact. Seeing it most of the way in from the airport just appealed to me. Even new builds are going up red. It's just something I haven't ever noticed anywhere else and it's not regular here in Ireland. The World Museum is an incredible sight to see. I didn't go in but just looking at it from outside was amazing. The huge buildings throughout the city, St. George's Hall and the Liver Building are all fairly breathtaking views. I was hoping to go around The Royal Albert Dock but we just didn't get around to it.

We were down near it as we did the Beatles Tour which was really very cool. There's a lot I didn't know about The Beatles. It was very informative and we both really enjoyed it. There was one part of it that puzzled us a bit and we meant to ask a guide about it but forgot. Maybe one of you can explain it? Just before you go into the Cavern part of the tour there's a cat's meow played from the speaker. You hear it every couple of minutes. Seems odd but there must be a reason for it, so just wondering if anyone knows why and how it's related to The Beatles? Anyway the tour really is great.

We ate at Gusto on the recommendation of a taxi driver. The food and inside was pretty damn fine. A bit on the expensive side but well we were on holiday so why not? Have to say that everywhere we went we found the people friendly and really helpful. Witty too similar to Irish wit. I like to wander around wherever we go for holidays or breaks. I wandered around mainly just Liverpool One area but it was really nice.

The Anfield Experience really was an experience I won't forget. So much history and information and life. It was a privilege to walk around and see this great stadium. To see the trophies, memorabilia and hear the history of Liverpool FC. It might not seem a big thing to a lot of you guys but to stand only a couple of feet from the hallowed turf was a big thing for me. I've been to Anfield once before in 2007 when we played Derby Co, a long time ago but I really don't remember that experience. I was pissed that day and it's a big regret for me. I was a feckin eejit back then, too drunk to truly experience it. But now 16 years later I got to see the whole stadium from the inside and outside, brighteyed and bushytailed and 100% sober. Big and better difference!

The lunch and hearing from the legends was brilliant. Listening to Ian Callaghan and Bruce Grobbelar was fantastic. Ian Callaghan was before my time as I only remember starting to watch Liverpool on TV around 1983 or so but I remember Bruce playing. It was an honour to have my photograph taken with them and to hear them talk about the club and city. We did the museum afterwards and I didn't realise how big the European Cups are. It's massive and looks way better than the Premier League one. The whole experience was a blast.

I hope I get the chance to come back to Anfield for another match someday in the not too distant future and I would really like to see more of your city. Maybe when that day comes we'll be back where we belong again, at the top of the world looking down?

I feel a little strange inside
A little bit of Jekyll, a little Mr. Hyde

Offline jack witham

• Anny Roader
Re: Lovely Liverpudlians
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2023, 06:46:45 pm »
I love reading posts like this and I am so glad you had a fantastic time.

I never tire of telling people how great the city and people are.

Hope you come back soon and catch a game next time.
Form is temporary,Class is permanent.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2023, 07:22:28 pm »
Thank you for saying this, it's really nice to hear.

I've lived in Liverpool my entire life, half a century, and even now I sometimes feel like a tourist in my own city. It's wonderful when others enjoy it as much as I do.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 07:57:56 pm »
Nice words mate , you’ll generally find anyone who slags the city off has never been . Most who have end up with a really positive outlook on the place .

I have a mate who I first met in Florida 26 years ago and we became really good friends and always visited him at his bar every year we went and he would invite us to his house , play golf etc  . This fella had left London in the mid 80s with his family  and not been back too much , he always said he would come to Liverpool if he ever got back to London .

Around 2010 he calls out the blue and says he’s in London to see his mum and he’d come up for the weekend to see us all , we sort a hotel for him and take him the match then onto town on the Saturday night . He would be around 60 by then amd we took him into the cavern and he called his daughter from there because he was so excited .

Next day took him golfing and that late Sunday afternoon a few of us picked him up and took him to Tess Riley’s knowing it would be busy and bouncing with all the older ones having a great time . We all walk through the door amd someone’s on karaoke singing your “your sixteen “ and a big sing song is on the go . We go the bar and asking what everyone is having but there is no sign of Dave .

Turn around and he’s at the front door stood with his mouth wide open just looking around , he walks over and says he’s never been in a pub like this since the late 60s / early 70s  in the east end of London and didn’t think atmospheres in pubs existed like
this anymore , he fell in love with the city and never stopped telling everyone about his weekend up here , one of the best of his life he said

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2023, 10:40:32 am »
Nice one, posts like this make me swell up with pride. Despite what you see and hear in the press, such as the Echo, Liverpool is a good place full of good people. We are mostly warm, friendly and witty with a massive sense of right and wrong. We are rich in history, in culture and rich in morals and values.

So happy you had a great time here, defo come back again soon.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2023, 07:32:51 pm »
I have travelled to the wonderful city of liverpool for more than half of my life; fell in love instantly (too many encounters to mention) and besides new york - my two favourite cities in the world.. But what I started to be surprised over - but not anymore - was that I went with family (wife; kids), mates with or without their spouses, colleagues etc, tottenham-fans etc, they all came back with the same reaction; what a wonderful city, football of course - small city centre but more than big enough.. restaurants, pubs - but most of all - they commented on the same thing; welcoming, friendly people - some nutters but still friendly funny, that they had a wonderful time. karaoke in coopers etc which I think a couple of mates etc which has been around had never seen anything like it. i guess from a city perspective and the people, the capital of culture and the money coming into the city is of course great, but i can't help think sometimes that the 90's with the craziness, moat house - flanagans and what went on in mathew street is something I am not sure if i love/hate that my son is missing out on !
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 08:48:18 pm »
And I have to say; sometimes this city is not for the faint hearted - I've seen people get their heads kicked in - and after 8-0 against galatasaray; in the anfield pubs after that - it must have been hundreds of kilos of the white powder being consumed but after 30 years I have never been involved in any trouble; just minding my own business - and staying low
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2023, 02:01:50 pm »
When we did the stadium tour last year we met a lovely steward, Alex I think his name was, we were stood talking to him for about an hour and he was telling us about the games he had been to down the years and characters he met. As we were leaving he noticed they were replacing some of the old seats in the main stand so he got the lads working there to bring the old seats down and gave us a couple, my daughter was made up.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2023, 03:38:01 pm »
When we did the stadium tour last year we met a lovely steward, Alex I think his name was, we were stood talking to him for about an hour and he was telling us about the games he had been to down the years and characters he met. As we were leaving he noticed they were replacing some of the old seats in the main stand so he got the lads working there to bring the old seats down and gave us a couple, my daughter was made up.

Wow, that's a fantastic gesture.  :wellin
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2023, 11:39:11 pm »
Can't say anything bad about Liverpool as a visitor, quite the contrary. I've been six times and never had a bad experience. The most memorable visit was my first one, where I did the stadium tour the day before the match and decided to pay a visit to the HJC shop. Meet Gerry in there who sadly passed away a couple of years later, but he was as nice as you can possibly be. Told me to have a look around and stop by the next day for a cuppa. Got talking to some more people when I went there before the match and they were all really friendly. I was a bit nervous (or whatever you might want to call it) beforehand, because I was an OOT (not even from the UK), but that was no issues. Had some nice talks there.

The day after the match was great as well. Had met a fella called Steve on the first day in the HJC shop and he had said he'd be in town on Sunday meeting a couple of people and if I had time he'd show me around the city centre. We exchanged phone numbers and then met Sunday some time after noon. Went to a few pubs and ended up in the Liffey on Renshaw Street where he was meeting his people. Had quite a few beers at that point so my memory is a bit iffy. Met his people there and two of them were his aunt and his uncle and when he introduced me to them, it felt a bit like a scene from the Godfather where I was meeting the big boss. ;) Had some more beers in there and then went back to my hotel. All in all, it was a great first visit to the city and there's nothing bad I can say about it.

The following visits were great as well, but nothing like the first one. The only experience I had, that you might call bad, was a guy in one bar completely losing the plot (with someone else) and being kicked out by security, because according to the guy behind the bar he was coked to the gills. But stuff like that happens everywhere and I had absolutely no issues that night even when I was sleeping in front of Lime Street Station waiting for he first train to Manchester airport... ;)

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2023, 12:14:08 am »
The title for this thread is a quote I heard last week from one of the guides at the Anfield Experience Stadium Tour that the wife and me did on Saturday 11th. I found it really cool & funny and it's apt for my post I think. To all you lovely Liverpudlians I'd like to say that I really like your city and the locals in it.

Wifey and me spent a few days in your city and really enjoyed it. The first thing I noticed was the majority of buildings are red brick. I don't know why but I really like that fact. Seeing it most of the way in from the airport just appealed to me. Even new builds are going up red. It's just something I haven't ever noticed anywhere else and it's not regular here in Ireland. The World Museum is an incredible sight to see. I didn't go in but just looking at it from outside was amazing. The huge buildings throughout the city, St. George's Hall and the Liver Building are all fairly breathtaking views. I was hoping to go around The Royal Albert Dock but we just didn't get around to it.

We were down near it as we did the Beatles Tour which was really very cool. There's a lot I didn't know about The Beatles. It was very informative and we both really enjoyed it. There was one part of it that puzzled us a bit and we meant to ask a guide about it but forgot. Maybe one of you can explain it? Just before you go into the Cavern part of the tour there's a cat's meow played from the speaker. You hear it every couple of minutes. Seems odd but there must be a reason for it, so just wondering if anyone knows why and how it's related to The Beatles? Anyway the tour really is great.

We ate at Gusto on the recommendation of a taxi driver. The food and inside was pretty damn fine. A bit on the expensive side but well we were on holiday so why not? Have to say that everywhere we went we found the people friendly and really helpful. Witty too similar to Irish wit. I like to wander around wherever we go for holidays or breaks. I wandered around mainly just Liverpool One area but it was really nice.

The Anfield Experience really was an experience I won't forget. So much history and information and life. It was a privilege to walk around and see this great stadium. To see the trophies, memorabilia and hear the history of Liverpool FC. It might not seem a big thing to a lot of you guys but to stand only a couple of feet from the hallowed turf was a big thing for me. I've been to Anfield once before in 2007 when we played Derby Co, a long time ago but I really don't remember that experience. I was pissed that day and it's a big regret for me. I was a feckin eejit back then, too drunk to truly experience it. But now 16 years later I got to see the whole stadium from the inside and outside, brighteyed and bushytailed and 100% sober. Big and better difference!

The lunch and hearing from the legends was brilliant. Listening to Ian Callaghan and Bruce Grobbelar was fantastic. Ian Callaghan was before my time as I only remember starting to watch Liverpool on TV around 1983 or so but I remember Bruce playing. It was an honour to have my photograph taken with them and to hear them talk about the club and city. We did the museum afterwards and I didn't realise how big the European Cups are. It's massive and looks way better than the Premier League one. The whole experience was a blast.

I hope I get the chance to come back to Anfield for another match someday in the not too distant future and I would really like to see more of your city. Maybe when that day comes we'll be back where we belong again, at the top of the world looking down?

I'd echo this post more or less. Last time was 2014 - Suarez/Zenit - a win but knocked out of the Europa. Still had a BLAST even though it was a bit rushed over 2 days.

This time (like last weekend - 2023) - took the whole family for the Arsenal game - but we got to Liverpool - on Friday afternoon and stayed at the Crowne Plaza next to the Docks so had time to enjoy. What a great time:

- weather was beautiful
- city was packed
- took the open top bus around - hopped off at a bunch of sites that I didn't see the first time (did all the beatles stuff + stadium tour + game that time)
- the Liverpool Cathedral is WOW. It's massive - like hard to explain until you are there.
- China town was cool - kids said the food was amazing.
- L1 has really been built up - very walkable and just stuff happening everywhere. We walked miles on Friday and Saturday.
- Did the hospitality package for the game - that was the only way to guarantee 5 seats
- Lucked out with the stadium tour randomly opening up for tours the morning of the game! When we tried to book from home it was either Friday morning or Tuesday - made the trip even better - and then the museum tour.
- Joined the bus welcome - walked around Anfield to find the murals - and were able to do a walk up to the stadium from several streets away - so they got to see the stadium "appear" over the houses.
- Game mood was bleak to awesome!
- bantered with a bunch of blue taxi drivers - all in good spirits

It was great - can't wait to come back again!

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2023, 09:19:00 am »
I remember back in 2010 when different names were linked with buying the club, a few weeks before FSG arrived. I was at Liverpool ONE bus station getting on the 26 bus. A guy got on ahead of me who was clearly a tourist from overseas, he asked the bus driver in broken English if the bus went to Anfield.

The bus driver, a typical older, proper scouse bus driver replied to him deadpan, "yes lad, why, have you come to buy it?". He said it with a grin though, the poor tourist went bright red. It wasn't meant in malice, it was just another example of our 'scouse wit and humour'.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2023, 09:53:02 am »
I'm in Liverpool today. Lovely weather(much better than the last time I visited) and friendly people (it's a bit of a shock coming from London).

How do yous move around? The buses take long.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2023, 10:05:05 am »
I'm in Liverpool today. Lovely weather(much better than the last time I visited) and friendly people (it's a bit of a shock coming from London).

How do yous move around? The buses take long.

Walking.

And taxis. There's one billion taxis in Liverpool.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2023, 10:09:08 am »
Walking.

And taxis. There's one billion taxis in Liverpool.
Uber right?

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2023, 10:18:27 am »
Uber right?

Uber itself not so much, but a lot of other private hire cars. But there's quite a few black cabs as well.

Honestly most of the town area is easily walkable. Its only when you need to get out to where people live that you need some sort of transport.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2023, 10:19:10 am »
Uber itself not so much, but a lot of other private hire cars. But there's quite a few black cabs as well.

Honestly most of the town area is easily walkable. Its only when you need to get out to where people live that you need some sort of transport.
Thanks mate.