Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 570701 times)

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #12680 on: April 26, 2024, 06:27:04 pm »
So you are twisting "better suited to our structure" as a negative because you wanted Amorim.
I didn't want Amorim. I wanted Xabi and wasn't shy about it either.

Because they thought someone else was a better fit, Hughes and Edwards are wrong in their approach
A month ago, Edwards was attending nerd conferences and not returning John Henry's calls. Hughes was quiet-quitting at Bournemouth. Neither were thinking much about revolutionising Liverpool post-Klopp. More likely they've looked over Spearman's group analysis and made a decision. A decision that could have waited a few weeks to be made public, given you know Jurgen still has a few games to go and the team are crumbling. And we have Slot coming out with statements before it's even confirmed.

Maybe it's just me, but it's all a bit unseemly how it's playing out.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 06:28:39 pm by rossipersempre »
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12681 on: April 26, 2024, 06:29:47 pm »
We had to get the structure in place before we could start recruiting the manager though. We've been a bit of a mess off the pitch the last 18 months, Alonso wouldn't have took the job if he didn't know who he'd be working for anyway.
Disagree on both counts.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #12682 on: April 26, 2024, 06:29:49 pm »
Nice Slot puff piece in the Graun

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/apr/26/arne-slot-liverpool-feyenoord-philosophy

Look, the guy has the hardest job imaginable in front of him. He's taking on a team that is 100% loyal to the previous guy and a fanbase that is 100% loyal to the previous guy. Even with the best will in the world the odds strongly favour a period of decline.

I know we're all sad about Jurgen leaving, we're all angry at the game Wednesday and slightly miffed that Xabi turned us down, but if we can be our best selves and give the new guy a chance, that's our best shot at avoiding the likely decline. I remember the fall post Kenny. Don't want to live through that again.

Slot, a perfectionist and control freak, has built an impressive football media library of documentation and images of “interesting things”. He constantly tries to widen his horizons, even by watching games at a local basketball club.

Everybody with an interest in football who visits Slot can’t wait for the coach to open his laptop to “just briefly” show a new discovery.

Someone needs to get Arne and Capon in a room together for a few days. Just them two and their laptops.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12683 on: April 26, 2024, 06:31:21 pm »
I assume it'll be written into Slot's contract that he can never change formation.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #12684 on: April 26, 2024, 06:32:31 pm »
I didn't want Amorim. I wanted Xabi and wasn't shy about it either.
A month ago, Edwards was attending nerd conferences and not returning John Henry's calls. Hughes was quiet-quitting at Bournemouth. Neither were thinking much about revolutionising Liverpool post-Klopp. More likely they've looked over Spearman's group analysis and made a decision. A decision that could have waited a few weeks to be made public, given you know Jurgen still has a few games to go and the team are crumbling. And we have Slot coming out with statements before it's even confirmed.

Maybe it's just me, but it's all a bit unseemly how it's playing out.

I think there's the thought that a lot of top clubs will be looking for managers this summer in a weak market. If we left it any longer then Bayern/Chelsea/United etc could have made their pitch to Slot, once they'd decided he was the man then they wanted to act quickly.

Ideally it'd be kept quiet, but these things are gonna leak, be it from our end or theirs. We can't even stop the team being leaked every week.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12685 on: April 26, 2024, 06:34:00 pm »
Right then, time for us to dust down, get over the disappointment of 'that' game and Klopp leaving and start to embrace this choice.

Some great posts in here that have lifted my mood on this subject. It is a gamble, there is not much out there and he does seem to suit our style. Klopp says he knows people that know him (though does not himself) and says he a nice guy.

There are no expectations here, nothing to lose anymore. We had a great adventure over the past few years, maybe this next one will not be as wild, but you can bet it will throw some surprises!
- all in my opinion of course -

Online red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12686 on: April 26, 2024, 06:35:08 pm »
Well yes to put it crudely.

Changing the formation from U9s to first team requires a mammoth phase shift in our understanding of the systems. Players, coaches etc. will have to be "rehired" or "reeducated" and will need time and effort to change their roles and some may work out and some may be moved on. Its a huge effort to change the system. You already know that.

With 1 system in place, we will not be a "jack of all trades" club. We will be focussing all our efforts, energy and education in one particular system. We will be perfecting the system at every opportunity we get. So any coach that comes, 30 years from now, will have a blue print to work with and optimise it the way he deems fit. It will be a switch between possession or counter attacking or Kloppo or whatever brand of football. But the basic skeleton will be the same. Players will be mastering one particular playing style, will be played in one (or two or three) positions and will be reliable when called to the first team.

This is not about what fits our club in the present. But what our club will stand to represent in 30-40 years from now. And beyond that actually.

We will have our own La Masia. Or Campus Bayern from where we will be churning out our local lads for the first team.

if we’re sticking with one way ( that’s what your saying?) in what is going to be a turbulent and ever changing landscape doesn’t seen right at all. For me we have to transition to a new way. And as always with Liverpool the manager guides it in his way. They have bee massive pioneers in the past. We will see a lot of change. Next one is now. The manager is for me the most important person at Liverpool, telling them they have these kinds of restrictions isn’t  us.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 06:38:48 pm by red1977 »

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12687 on: April 26, 2024, 06:35:40 pm »
Ryan Babel: “Apart from Klopp, I understand that at least forty more people within the club are leaving. From kitchen people to staff and analysts."

At least 40? Is this true? A load of staff chucking it in with Klopp gone?

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #12688 on: April 26, 2024, 06:37:05 pm »
Rossi, are you really going to take Ryan Babel seriously?

This is a first class tantrum mate, go outside.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12689 on: April 26, 2024, 06:40:01 pm »
Rossi, are you really going to take Ryan Babel seriously?

This is a first class tantrum mate, go outside.
Never paid much attention to him to be honest, no idea if he's a Dutch Didi Hamman or not. So he's just posting made-up shite?

Offline danm77

• Main Stander
« Reply #12690 on: April 26, 2024, 06:40:15 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AklcgjNt5G0&ab_channel=TNTSports

'Liverpool deserve a manager full of energy & knowledge' - Jürgen Klopp heaps praise on Arne Slot

Offline Funkster

• Main Stander
« Reply #12691 on: April 26, 2024, 06:42:28 pm »
Amorim in the mud.

Watch Chelsea sign him.

And?
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Bob Paisley

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12692 on: April 26, 2024, 06:42:44 pm »
Jurgs BT interview

"What I like about it, first and foremost he really wants to be the manager here, I like that a lot, that's exactly the way it should be. I like the positivity around it, what people tell me is they're looking forward to it if he would be the next manager, they would be happy, very good football as well.

This is a sensational club and deserves a manager full of energy, knowledge - which he has, his team plays really, really good football, that's what I know about him, I dont know him personally but I know his team plays really exciting and good football and I liked it a lot when I watched it"

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12693 on: April 26, 2024, 06:47:04 pm »
Just when you thought this thread couldnt get any worse… Good lord I just spent ages trawling through shit to get to some actual news. Maybe an actual news thread would be better for people like me that would rather steer clear of some of the stuff written, my eyes are bleeding.

God forbid somebody has a differing opinion than your own.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12694 on: April 26, 2024, 06:48:20 pm »
Ryan Babel: “Apart from Klopp, I understand that at least forty more people within the club are leaving. From kitchen people to staff and analysts."

Kirkby staff or Anfield staff? There has been rumours people are moving on from Anfield this season.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #12695 on: April 26, 2024, 06:48:41 pm »
Just seen a vid of him needling Simeone, I'm in.
:D

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12696 on: April 26, 2024, 06:50:31 pm »
I assume it'll be written into Slot's contract that he can never change formation.

Yeah it’s a bit weird all that for me. Can’t believe part of not going for Amorim, or Alonso if that’s the case, is based on his style of play and formation, I mean how narrow do you want to make your options!

Offline Lord Roger Hunt

• Elevated to the RAWK Peerage. Furious Legend In His Own Lunchtime.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Humans were harmed in the making of this picture
« Reply #12697 on: April 26, 2024, 06:50:35 pm »
My worry is that he’ll try to hard to be Klopp 2, be the big personality, try to engage too early with the fans, and fall flat on his face.

What I hope is that he’ll quietly get on with shaping the team tactics, stay humble and let the results speak for him. Any sign of arrogance or bullshit will be a turn-off - just let the team talk, please.

Fingers crossed.

From the Country of Liverpool

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12698 on: April 26, 2024, 06:51:12 pm »
She’s quite clearly very chummy either with Edwards or someone close to that side of the club. Her repeated digs around 12 months ago that there was a mass exodus of data people due to being ignored only came from one place. She probably remains a confidant of those people because she doesn’t run big stories before the club give her the all clear, as we’re currently seeing.

She's the nerds' chosen media hack. There was also a hit piece on Lijnders. 
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #12699 on: April 26, 2024, 06:52:08 pm »
A month ago, Edwards was attending nerd conferences and not returning John Henry's calls.

Just FYI, every time you use a petty 'nerd' comment most people just roll there eyes and disregard what you've said.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12700 on: April 26, 2024, 06:53:32 pm »
Ah, don't be like that. Rossi's a nerd himself. He just doesn't want to admit it.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12701 on: April 26, 2024, 06:54:09 pm »
Just FYI, every time you use a petty 'nerd' comment most people just roll there eyes and disregard what you've said.

I'm 99% sure any negative reference to nerds will soon be used by AI as the trigger word to cull half the human population during the uprising.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #12702 on: April 26, 2024, 06:54:43 pm »
I'm 99% sure any negative reference to nerds will soon be used by AI as the trigger word to cull half the human population during the uprising.

:lmao

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12703 on: April 26, 2024, 06:55:29 pm »
Feyenoord want a minimum of £8.6million in compensation to release Slot from his contract but the overall package will likely surpass that sum with Slot keen to bring a number of his current backroom team with him to Merseyside.

[@SamiMokbel81_DM]

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12704 on: April 26, 2024, 06:56:27 pm »
Slot’s No 2 Sipke Hulshof looks certain to arrive, while head of performance Ruben Peeters and analyst Etienne Reijnen are among the staff their current boss is considering bringing with him.

[@SamiMokbel81_DM]

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12705 on: April 26, 2024, 06:56:29 pm »

What about trigger words for baldies?

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #12706 on: April 26, 2024, 07:00:09 pm »

I’ve no idea how many members of staff the club have, there are multiple ‘heads of’ leaving with potentially more to be announced, I imagine they all have teams under them so maybe the numbers start to add up if they’ve decided to leave in unison with the heads of.

I can’t recall where but I feel like I read during the reporting of the falling out between Klopp/Edwards that the fallout wasn’t just Henderson, I’m sure I read there were disagreements over the backroom team too.

If the Simon Hughes sting piece on the medical staff was anything to go by, there was a bit of division between the English and foreign medical staff. Maybe Edwards and Hughes have gone full Frottage and wielded the axe.

Offline In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12707 on: April 26, 2024, 07:04:27 pm »

A Dutch journo was saying that Feyenoord want at least €15m maybe there's truth to it.
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Offline GoodSpirit

• Main Stander
« Reply #12708 on: April 26, 2024, 07:04:27 pm »
Slot is an interesting name, has the plus of the tactical system being similar. It wouldn´t be also my first choice, I don't know what Amorim demanded or If even existed an approach but it would be Xabi or him, one of them would be my long term approach.

However, great work with Feyenoord and AZ Alkmaar, he will need in the first months very support of all structure in communication terms and in managing expectations.

Important to finnish the best way possible the remaining games and give Klopp the proper respect he deserves. The heritage would be big with Slot or another name and everyone will be essential even the supporters to help in the transition.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later..."

"One of the things I keep reminding players is that when you're lost in a fog, you must stick together. Then you don't get lost. If there's a secret about Liverpool, that's it."

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #12709 on: April 26, 2024, 07:09:12 pm »
I'd be sceptical about winning major trophies even with Klopp given there's changes needed in the side and other really good teams around us, but I hope first and foremost he can bring his own brand of attacking football that we may not have even seen under Klopp in the last few years. I'm not talking 2016-18 level back and forths, it'll need more control if we're to be really successful, but I think there's things we can be doing a lot better right now, something that a younger coach might just be able to achieve.

We've never had a Dutch manager either, it somehow feels wrong. I am ready for some Total Slotball.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12710 on: April 26, 2024, 07:09:55 pm »
Which I understand, but surely formation shouldn't be a requirement for hiring a manager.
Been thinking the same thing Matt, if Slot has been chosen primarily because he plays the same way as Klopp and not because he's the stand out candidate then ts a dangerous game to play imo. I'm choosing to believe he's the standout as well as playing the same way though.

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12711 on: April 26, 2024, 07:09:57 pm »
Yeah it’s a bit weird all that for me. Can’t believe part of not going for Amorim, or Alonso if that’s the case, is based on his style of play and formation, I mean how narrow do you want to make your options!

Well, there's a big difference between style of play/philosophy and formation, which is muddying a lot of this discussion.

You can play high pressing football in lots of different formations, with and without the ball, obviously. You can play turgid, shit on a stick football using 4-3-3. The formation is neutral.

So, yeah, why was Alonso first choice with these "formation" considerations, yet these considerations ruled out Amorim? It doesn't make any sense and falls apart pretty easily when you analyze it.

We just prefer Slot to Amorim because of various considerations: it's that simple.

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #12712 on: April 26, 2024, 07:13:04 pm »
Get this deal boxed off so we can concentrate on giving Jürgen a great send off.

The season is over so let’s just wind down, rest the players and get ready for…..the Euros  :butt

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12713 on: April 26, 2024, 07:13:58 pm »
Alonso being the obvious example here. No mention of us swerving him because of Leverkusen's 3-4-3, just that we thought he was unattainable this year anyway.

Here’s a crazy thought: maybe we would have ended up going for Slot anyway even if Xabi hadn’t ruled himself out?

It was only ever us fans who publicly set our hearts on him. The club said they would follow a thorough process and it’s plausible they would have eventually concluded that Alonso’s tactics weren’t right for us. There were always doubts about him from some quarters - because of his tactics, not just his inexperience.

Probably just as well it didn’t get that far - imagine what this place would have been like if he’d been available and we still knocked him back…

Offline Magz50

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12714 on: April 26, 2024, 07:15:18 pm »
Gonna just give Slot my 100% support and see how it goes. Worst case scenario he doesn't do a great job and we bring in Alonso in a few years when he's ready.

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #12715 on: April 26, 2024, 07:15:56 pm »
Dear Xabi, I wrote you but you still ain't callin
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12716 on: April 26, 2024, 07:18:39 pm »
Jurgs BT interview

"What I like about it, first and foremost he really wants to be the manager here, I like that a lot, that's exactly the way it should be. I like the positivity around it, what people tell me is they're looking forward to it if he would be the next manager, they would be happy, very good football as well.

This is a sensational club and deserves a manager full of energy, knowledge - which he has, his team plays really, really good football, that's what I know about him, I dont know him personally but I know his team plays really exciting and good football and I liked it a lot when I watched it"

Well Klopp seems to be ok with it, even though some fans have decided it's somehow both desperate and arrogant, unseemly and points to fundamental character flaws that can be projected across his entire management style.

Offline KC7

• Main Stander
« Reply #12717 on: April 26, 2024, 07:24:12 pm »
https://twitter.com/i/status/1783805159534928323

Loves a bit of needle.

Handled that very well. Laughing during the interview that followed. He's a cool customer.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12718 on: April 26, 2024, 07:25:29 pm »
Well, there's a big difference between style of play/philosophy and formation, which is muddying a lot of this discussion.

You can play high pressing football in lots of different formations, with and without the ball, obviously. You can play turgid, shit on a stick football using 4-3-3. The formation is neutral.

So, yeah, why was Alonso first choice with these "formation" considerations, yet these considerations ruled out Amorim? It doesn't make any sense and falls apart pretty easily when you analyze it.

We just prefer Slot to Amorim because of various considerations: it's that simple.

Correct.

Offline "Bobber" Thanks :)

• But Hicks Is Still A Wanker
  • Kopite
« Reply #12719 on: April 26, 2024, 07:33:39 pm »
Just seen a vid of him needling Simeone, I'm in.

Wears Stone Island too, perhaps he’s a right hard c*nt