Author Topic: Welcome to Liverpool Thiago Alcantara  (Read 806261 times)

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Welcome to Liverpool Thiago Alcantara
« Reply #7600 on: March 26, 2024, 08:34:07 am »
Repeating the same pathetic behaviour every few days, bumping the thread to say the same shit in different words.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #7601 on: March 26, 2024, 08:44:13 am »

Litmanen for me, shame Houllier did not fit him in, I saw him mostly in reserve games where he was way too good for the people around him (that included some decent 1st team players as well)

The day Finland legend Jari Litmanen walked Wales ragged

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68501111

"Technically, he was exceptional. I remember going into the game, 23 years old and thinking, 'Well, I can run all over him' but it's hard to run all over someone when they've moved the ball away from you with their first touch because they know you're coming." (he was 38)

I feel like Houllier gets a slightly unfair rap for that. We signed him in January 2001. He made an instant impact off the bench in his debut away at Palace in the League Cup and then was fairly instrumental for the next couple of months. He got injured I think possibly in that England v Finland game at Anfield around March and missed the rest of the season so it wasn’t like he wasn’t used, just wasn’t available for the run in.

01/02 he was used less frequently. We also sold Robbie at that time so felt like we had a very clear front two of Owen and Heskey. That was a shame for Litmanen, did coincide with Houllier’s illness but he obviously still had a say in picking the side. Still had his moments later in that season like Fulham away, Leverkusen goal etc but suppose it is fair to say he wasn’t trusted to start all that regularly. Seemed to feature more in the European games I think.

Just a shame we didn’t sign him from Ajax when he went to Barca. A couple more years of him then, when both Fowler and Owen were in and out with injuries a lot would have been amazing.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #7602 on: March 26, 2024, 08:44:17 am »
I didn't say anything about extending his deal. I was just saying that the amount is significant.
I get you

11m a year in wages and he has played about 5 minutes

Awful return for one of our highest paid
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7603 on: March 26, 2024, 09:16:21 am »
I get you

11m a year in wages and he has played about 5 minutes

Awful return for one of our highest paid

Does it really matter? It's not like he's deliberately got himself injured. It was a gamble worth taking and it's not all been bad (e.g., 21/22).

Every club will have players earning much more than they contribute, you just have to hope it's balanced out my players contributing much more than they're getting paid. With the likes of Quansah, Bradley and Kelleher I think it's fair to say we're getting a good shake of things at the moment. Even players like Konate and Endo will be getting well underpaid compared to others and what they are contributing.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #7604 on: March 26, 2024, 09:55:30 am »
yes, ill leave it there as others have said this thread is just going in circles
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #7605 on: March 28, 2024, 07:12:10 pm »
the bitter jambutty was bemoaning (yet again) that the club are seemingly aiding him in recovering from injury

For his next team.

Those that remember Shanks accurately, know that he'd've been sent Spain to recover on his own once there was no chance of him playing for us ever again.
Kill the humourless

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #7606 on: March 28, 2024, 07:30:57 pm »
Those that remember Shanks accurately, know that he'd've been sent Spain to recover on his own once there was no chance of him playing for us ever again.

Did Shanks ever do anything like that?
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are Liverpool. Resistance is futile.
« Reply #7607 on: March 28, 2024, 07:40:42 pm »
To be honest - never wanted us to sign him in the first place.

Felt like he didn't fit the profile of the sort of player we needed at the time i.e. young and on the cusp of greatness.

Spent a loooong time saying "We're NOT signing Thiago". And a much longer time eating my own words when we did.

But... once a Red always a Red, Love him to bits, not his fault we signed him, not his fault he got injured etc etc etc etc etc.

::)

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #7608 on: March 28, 2024, 08:01:42 pm »
For his next team.

One of the most bizarre takes I’ve seen on the internet, this.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7609 on: March 28, 2024, 09:17:04 pm »

Read our history mate.

His hero was Lombardi.

For me, the 4 Liverpool players that had the worst injury luck were, Rob Jones, Jamie Redknapp, Jari, and Thiago.

Only 3 of them played hurt and were constantly begging to be sent back in.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 09:25:47 pm by jambutty »
Kill the humourless

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #7610 on: March 28, 2024, 09:23:59 pm »
Read our history mate.

His hero was Lombardi.

I’m not arsed. Shankly is a legend, but don’t use his name to pedal your shite. The very idea that the club wouldn’t help any player rehab an injury gained whilst playing for the club is just ridiculous.

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7611 on: March 28, 2024, 09:26:17 pm »
I’m not arsed. Shankly is a legend, but don’t use his name to pedal your shite. The very idea that the club wouldn’t help any player rehab an injury gained whilst playing for the club is just ridiculous.

The Club is paying, no one is suggesting otherwise.
Kill the humourless

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #7612 on: March 28, 2024, 09:29:59 pm »
Read our history mate.

His hero was Lombardi.

For me, the 4 Liverpool players that had the worst injury luck were, Rob Jones, Jamie Redknapp, Jari, and Thiago.

C'mon, no Kewell on that list? He was ahead of Redknapp and Jari for me.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7613 on: March 28, 2024, 09:33:56 pm »
He definitely shagged Jambutty’s  favourite Xmas socks.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #7614 on: March 28, 2024, 09:45:03 pm »
I think the turning point was when Thiago went all Padddington bear and said he preferred marmalade sandwiches.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #7615 on: March 28, 2024, 10:06:56 pm »
Read our history mate.

His hero was Lombardi.

Are you suggesting Thiago hasn’t played with an injury or tried to?

He’s had hip surgery, have a read about the effects of that on some athletes and realise how bizarre you sound. He played through the injury last season and it was decided surgery would help him become available this season. It obviously hasn’t happened. We owe it to the player to aid him in his recovery because he’s got the injury playing for this club and we aren’t being run by Mike Ashley.

Online In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7616 on: March 28, 2024, 10:52:35 pm »
Read our history mate.

His hero was Lombardi.

What was the name of the Swiss fella we signed under Hodgson, got injured after 20 minutes, and never saw him again? I think he was with us for 2 seasons.
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7617 on: March 28, 2024, 10:54:33 pm »
https://www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/2305

Thompson was a regular in Shankly's side from 1963 to 1971 until injuries cut his Anfield career short. "Shankly didn't have any time for injured players: d been fairly lucky with injuries throughout my time at Anfield but in the early 70s I began to suffer problems with my cartilage. I think it was all the twisting and turning I used to do. I’d already had one cartilage removed and when they took the second one out, I was told I wouldn’t be able to play anymore. I was really upset and cried.

I don’t want to criticize Bill Shankly because I have nothing but the greatest admiration for him, but when I returned to Anfield he didn’t want to know. He wouldn’t even speak to me and I was left to train with the kids. In time my knee became stronger, but he still wasn’t interested, ‘You’ve had your day’, he used to tell me. He was being a bit naughty, but I’d seen it happen before with players who weren’t in the team. After treating me like a son for nine years, some of the things he said to me really hurt. But once I moved he was in the press almost every other week saying how great a player I’d been."
Kill the humourless

Online eddiedingle

• Kopite
« Reply #7618 on: March 28, 2024, 10:58:47 pm »
What was the name of the Swiss fella we signed under Hodgson, got injured after 20 minutes, and never saw him again? I think he was with us for 2 seasons.

Degen? Or was he a Rafa signing?

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7619 on: March 28, 2024, 11:01:58 pm »
I’m not arsed. Shankly is a legend, but don’t use his name to pedal your shite.

It would appear you're the one "pedaling" shite here.

On yer bike.
Kill the humourless

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7620 on: March 28, 2024, 11:13:06 pm »
C'mon, no Kewell on that list? He was ahead of Redknapp and Jari for me.

I don't put Kewell in their class, mate.
Kill the humourless

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7621 on: March 28, 2024, 11:27:55 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2009/jan/12/bill-shankly-liverpool

Yeats told the story of the defender Gerry Byrne, who had to be careful not to take throw-ins after he appeared in the second half of a cup final with a broken collarbone (you tell the youngsters that these days, they'll crash their Ferraris), and all three guests agreed that Shankly's attitude to injuries was what you might call a touch old-school.

He feared any player carrying an injury might infect the others, so his solution was to banish him to the far corner of the training field adjacent, apparently, to a pigsty. If Shanks saw a player on the treatment table — even one of his trusted lieutenants — he would shun him.

This might explain why Lawler missed only three games in seven seasons. When Shankly once saw Lawler wearing a crepe bandage on the advice of a physiotherapist, the manager barked: "What's wrong with the malingerer?"

So much for the "Shanks Light" believers.
Kill the humourless

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #7622 on: March 28, 2024, 11:34:33 pm »
It would appear you're the one "pedaling" shite here.

On yer bike.

I’m not arsed about or disputing what Shankly said.You sound like those bacons on Twitter that bemoan anyone in the world having anything because they had it harder in their day.

Shankly might have been ruthless, he might have swerved injured players and offered them no support. Shankly isn’t here in 2024 running a multi billion club. If he was, I doubt very much he’d tell Thiago to piss off to Spain and get yourself fixed there. He’d expect the club to fulfil their duty of care to the players, help them rehabilitate from surgery and thank them for their efforts on the way out.

What is your issue with Thiago being injured? Do you think he doesn’t want to play or something? Like are you suggesting he’s a bit soft or he’s just a money grabber? Struggling to see what point you’re trying to make aside from looking bitter and angry at someone who hasn’t done anything wrong.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7623 on: March 29, 2024, 12:18:49 am »
Jambutty can fight his own battles, but wasn't there an article earlier in this thread or the injury one that was essentially saying Thiago could be fit to play again this season but everyone had decided to wrap him in cotton wool and/or get him ready for his next club instead? That was the bit that stuck in my craw.

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7624 on: March 29, 2024, 12:44:25 am »
My opinion is that he's an ultra talented shithouse.
Kill the humourless

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #7625 on: March 29, 2024, 01:44:53 am »
Shithouse is mega, mega, mega harsh. I don't think he's ever let us down in terms of effort or desire or application, unlike some.

One thing I would say is largely in agreement with another poster above, I always thought it was an odd 'against type' signing, being older, having had injury trouble and playing in a totally different league - while his talent's definitely not in doubt I would say that he's probably also proved why we don't sign many players of his ilk.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #7626 on: March 29, 2024, 06:18:23 am »

Can you delve on why he’s a shithouse?

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #7627 on: March 29, 2024, 06:27:59 am »
Don't, mate, we don't really need that debate here. Thiago hasn't been lucky with injuries, and we should have known that from his Bayern history and that he's not getting any younger. I think Jambutty is going over the top, and that may be a sign of frustration. But let's not fan the fire...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #7628 on: March 29, 2024, 07:13:42 am »
Don't, mate, we don't really need that debate here. Thiago hasn't been lucky with injuries, and we should have known that from his Bayern history and that he's not getting any younger. I think Jambutty is going over the top, and that may be a sign of frustration. But let's not fan the fire...

I just think it’s such a mad way of looking at it. I can remember him being in tears before the league cup final because he has to pull out. He was fully committed when he played, he never shit out of tackles from the moment he arrived here. I get that he’s had injuries but he can’t help being injury prone. Just like he couldn’t help Richarlison deciding to sprint at full speed and lunge straight into his leg, which broke it.

He had hip surgery last season, it’s probably the worst injury any athlete can get, it can and regularly hammers their athleticism and mobility. I’ve said a couple of times in here, a hip injury is what destroyed Sturridge’s career here. He could never get fit and looked like he couldn’t run post his hip injury and he had it much younger than Thiago. I’ve followed the NBA for years and seen players pretty much have to retire because they’ve had hip surgery, some of them barely a few years into their career, similar in the NFL but that’s much more contact based.

My point is, he had to have that surgery because he’ll have been playing through that pain, probably for years. He had a hip injury in 21/22, he had another prior or to having surgery last season, it looks to me that the surgery was the final roll of the dice and it’s not played out how we all expected. If he had a leg breaker and went off on a stretcher with his foot facing the other way or his knee in a brace, nobody would be saying anything about him, we’d all accept it’s just so unfortunate he received that challenge. But what he’s actually had is probably worse.

The signing hasn’t worked out, there are lessons to be learned all around, but don’t throw players under the bus and try and use quotes from Shankly to justify your ridiculous views that he should be fucked off to recover elsewhere because he’s useless to us now.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7629 on: March 29, 2024, 10:11:35 am »

Please, no. Thiago deserves better than a Jambutty 'assessment'. He's said his piece. He'll say it again. It doesn't vary. He needs no encouragement.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #7630 on: March 29, 2024, 12:21:24 pm »
What a madness :D Methods and attitudes from the 90s would barely survive these days, let alone those from 60 years ago. Actually pretty disrespectful to Shanks to think he wouldn’t have adapted to modern football. I assume he’d only use 14 players in a season too, or are we just picking and choosing?

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7631 on: March 29, 2024, 12:54:18 pm »
Christ, imagine calling one of our own players a shithouse because he's injured.  ::)
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Online darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7632 on: March 29, 2024, 02:00:48 pm »

Absolute joke of a poster. Every time I read a post from you, it's utter shite being spouted.

Offline Red1976

• Main Stander
« Reply #7633 on: March 29, 2024, 11:29:46 pm »
https://www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/2305

Thompson was a regular in Shankly's side from 1963 to 1971 until injuries cut his Anfield career short. "Shankly didn't have any time for injured players: d been fairly lucky with injuries throughout my time at Anfield but in the early 70s I began to suffer problems with my cartilage. I think it was all the twisting and turning I used to do. I’d already had one cartilage removed and when they took the second one out, I was told I wouldn’t be able to play anymore. I was really upset and cried.

I don’t want to criticize Bill Shankly because I have nothing but the greatest admiration for him, but when I returned to Anfield he didn’t want to know. He wouldn’t even speak to me and I was left to train with the kids. In time my knee became stronger, but he still wasn’t interested, ‘You’ve had your day’, he used to tell me. He was being a bit naughty, but I’d seen it happen before with players who weren’t in the team. After treating me like a son for nine years, some of the things he said to me really hurt. But once I moved he was in the press almost every other week saying how great a player I’d been."

I did read something different about Shankly in Kevin Keegan's first book  (around 1977).  In it KK says Shankly used to go into the treatment room and go up to players having treatment and ask how they were - he then asked if the injury was better than it was the week or day before and when the player said yes, Shankly would add that then it should be better tomorrow. A bit of a psychological mind trick if you like lol  KK also mentioned about Peter Thompson's knee injury and how Shankly ordered his backroom team to find out what was causing the problem (probably before the meniscus tear). They checked PT's Ford Capri and Fagan had difficulty pushing the clutch pedal down -so Shankly got PT to sell the car lol

As for Thiago, well too many injuries, and he is 32 years old - so the injuries are taking a bigger toll on his ability to play as needed in this LFC team.  It is the right decision to let him go at the end of the season. Get someone in younger and less injury prone

« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 11:34:53 pm by Red1976 »

Offline Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
« Reply #7634 on: March 30, 2024, 12:38:48 am »
Absolute joke of a poster. Every time I read a post from you, it's utter shite being spouted.
;D
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7635 on: March 30, 2024, 12:42:42 am »

Degen?

Offline Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
« Reply #7636 on: March 30, 2024, 12:44:41 am »
Degen?
He was signed on a free, I believe, by Rafa in 2008 ...
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.

Online mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
  • Darwin Nunez's lovechild
« Reply #7637 on: March 30, 2024, 02:06:35 am »
Are people criticising thaigos character because of his body letting him down?

Jesus Christ

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7638 on: March 30, 2024, 12:10:49 pm »
Are people criticising thaigos character because of his body letting him down?

Jesus Christ
jambutty calls him a shithouse. 

mind you, jambutty also thinks he's a Liverpool supporter so there ya go.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7639 on: March 30, 2024, 01:12:13 pm »
Nah, Jam's a proper Liverpool supporter ok. I put his dislike for Thiago down to an excess of love.