Author Topic: Westworld - HBO's next thingamajig  (Read 98680 times)

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
Re: Westworld - HBO's next thingamajig
« Reply #920 on: March 21, 2019, 11:20:47 pm »
Gave the second series a miss for a bit and wanted to wait to see how it was received. I had suspicions it would be another one of those programmes where the showrunner starts it off, fucks off for a bit - leaving the minions to do thy bidding - and then returning for a finale.

Yeah, this second series is wearing me a bit thin at the moment and I'm finding it hard to absorb myself.

It's all gone a bit awry for me and the timelines are grating.

Agree. It was shite. The characters are just very thin and hard to like and I could not bring myself to care about their motives.

The plot also became a total mess.

I actually watched it all the way to the last episode and gave up with only about 20 minutes to go. That's how disenchanted I was. Will not be watching the third season.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #921 on: March 22, 2019, 01:21:55 am »
I got to Japanworld and have lost the will to live.

You know Sid Meiers Civilization? When you start off and expand too quickly, your trade and cash and everything turns to shit? So you just reload the game over and over again...

This is where I feel this is at currently... Are HBO serious with this shit? I can't tell if it's really fucking clever, or just trying to be too clever for its own good, and that ain't a good place to be. The concept seems to have ran away with itself and I really don't get it anymore. On one hand, you have Rachel Wood's character upset and needing Teddy, claiming he's the only one left, then in the next episode, she has him killed? Am I missing something or are the character motivations and choices in this programme clearly fucked up by the plot?

I'm sure I'm missing some intricate piece of information and I've felt like this for most of the second run - I actually feel stupid mate and that is pissing me the fuck off!

I knew it in the first episode, I said to myself "Kid, this is going to piss you right off! Stop now!"
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #922 on: March 22, 2019, 02:45:57 am »
The following post contains spoilers. I'm not going to spoiler the whole thing and I'm not going to spoiler the specific bits. I'm just leaving a fair warning up top.

The first season, I enjoyed in part because I participated fairly actively in discussions and speculations about it on Reddit as the episodes were released. There was a sense of excitement about guessing what was what, because there were some tangible mysteries to solve and two more or less lucid timelines. The characters for the most part were not good, with a couple of exceptions - Ford and young/old William, but you got that they were trying to tell the age old story of 'more human than human', and there was enough emotional resonance in that.

But I think that's really all the story had. The end of season one had neatly wrapped up more or less everything.

It didn't have anywhere else to go, because it's one thing to empathise for the humanity of the hosts in general, but it's another thing to trade on that for a second season when the characters needed real development. I think that was very poorly done. Most of the hosts remained empty husks of characters. The ones that weren't, were not particularly well thought out. Dolores had spent decades transitioning from from pliant robot to self-aware AI, but didn't have time to develop any facets to her personality except 'destroy all humans'. Bernard seems to be more about moving the plot along, and doesn't appear to have any motives of his own. Even Maeve, the most well rounded of the characters, appeared to be largely the product of half-baked, shoehorned insertions, like the one about her daughter. The less said about the likes of Teddy, and Maeve's motley crew of beautiful randos, the better.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #923 on: March 22, 2019, 05:08:51 am »
Spoilers ahead!

Nailed on right there Red. Thanks for managing to digital reach into my mind and decode and decrypt, re-encrypt and whatever the fuck else.

It is literally that. After writing my post, I watched the one with The Man in Black and his daughter and was thinking this very same thing. It is rather symbolic that this episode (or the one before), has the train in it, deadset and motionless, with no steam at all.

It is of course following the film a bit, but it told the story and the morals of the tale in mostly the first series. There were moments in the first series where you were like, 'Okay, cool, we're getting a good little story going here'... But then to be jarred by it resetting or changing timelines again; but then, all that lead to the inevitable reveal and there's not many other ways that they can use that device now.

They had the mini stories within Westworld, and they were good... But I'd have enjoyed it more if they elongated the main story arc over the first two serials and utilised AH a little bit more. It's like one of those shit posters you print out on your printer, look close and you can see it isn't a poster, just a lot of a4 pages with join marks... I think they call that Rasterbating.... That's what this is, Rasterbating.   

His (AH) walk-on parts were jarring in itself, and you could tell that they'd filmed around him. And you can tell he's out of contract now because did you hear the jarg AH impression in the second series? I mean, it possibly could be his voice, but did it fuck have the right tone... It probably is to be fair, but it just smacked of lack of forward-thinking where they've had to call back to a 'dead character' in that manner.

Because, yet again, it feels more and more like Johnathon Nolan just rocked up for the first series (with story bible), supervised a few episodes, and then left saying 'See you in four years for the finale series - don't fuck it up!!!'.

And they've... pretty much fucked it up straight away.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 10:16:05 pm by Kidder. »
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #924 on: March 22, 2019, 12:31:57 pm »
Well, I managed to finish it - and fell asleep at parts, so I could be missing things.

Spoiler
But in simple terms, is this not Matrix 0.5?

It's stupidly confusing and I don't think that is down to the writing, I think it is down to the editing.

The editing is everywhere.
[close]
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #925 on: March 25, 2019, 08:04:38 am »
Just binged it, wasn't amazing like.

If you're going to have a convoluted story at least make your characters good. LOST is a fucking mess but there are so many memorable characters you give a toss about that it almost doesn't matter.

Maeve and the Native American chap aside, they're all dicks. Not enough to carry it for me.

Also Hiroyuki Sanada was utterly wasted, I was hyped for the Japanese stuff but it was shit.

5/10
:D

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #926 on: March 25, 2019, 08:43:01 am »
Loved the first series, started watching the second series and got bored and sort of just forgot to watch anymore about half way through. Seems it didn't get much better from comments above.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #927 on: March 25, 2019, 04:02:55 pm »
Loved the first series, started watching the second series and got bored and sort of just forgot to watch anymore about half way through. Seems it didn't get much better from comments above.

I enjoyed it  ;D & thought it moved the series onto what we're all waiting for,lots of people got pissed off with the time jumps or didn't realise that a scene was from a different time.They should've done S2 as one long story without those jumps & made it more obvious when flashbacks were happening,it's the only gripe I had with it & the writers over did them because of how well the 1st series twist was embraced.

Spoiler
I am convinced that the doorway was an opening for them to get onto the net
[close]
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #928 on: May 20, 2019, 05:32:11 am »
Oh, Aaron Paul has an HBO show, great! I loved him in The Price is Right.

Ah, so he's a thief...a nice call back to him getting robbed in The Price is Right.

Argh, the future setting looks boss, like the sets of The Price is Right!

Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #929 on: May 20, 2019, 12:36:58 pm »

'Westworld III - HBO 2020' trailer:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/deSUQ7mZfWk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/deSUQ7mZfWk</a>
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #930 on: May 20, 2019, 10:45:29 pm »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/deSUQ7mZfWk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/deSUQ7mZfWk</a>

Well, that looks amazing.

Let's see what life is left in them there screen-writers.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #931 on: May 21, 2019, 10:36:22 am »
Well, that looks amazing.

Let's see what life is left in them there screen-writers.

I thought the same. Hope this teaser means the show is going in a bit of a new direction.

Offline Blinis

• Kopite
« Reply #932 on: May 21, 2019, 10:10:44 pm »

That looks great.
What do Fernando Hierro, Carles Puyol, Philipp Lahm, Andres Iniesta, Iker Casillas, Sergio Ramos and Jordan Henderson share in common?

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #933 on: February 21, 2020, 12:59:18 am »

'Westworld | Official Season 3 Trailer | HBO':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/pDJbFA32_QY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/pDJbFA32_QY</a>

Season 3 premieres on Sunday 15th March, at 9PM on HBO (in the US) - https://twitter.com/WestworldHBO

In the UK it will be on Sky Atlantic and Now TV on Monday 16th March.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 01:04:36 am by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #934 on: February 21, 2020, 10:44:24 am »
I zoned out of season two as well. I think I made it nearly up to the last quarter or so and then jibbed it.

Is it enough to know that some of the hosts escaped and are now out in the 'real world' or do I need to know more before picking up with season three?

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #935 on: February 21, 2020, 10:58:59 am »
'Westworld | Official Season 3 Trailer | HBO':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/pDJbFA32_QY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/pDJbFA32_QY</a>

Season 3 premieres on Sunday 15th March, at 9PM on HBO (in the US) - https://twitter.com/WestworldHBO

In the UK it will be on Sky Atlantic and Now TV on Monday 16th March.

That does look amazing, production design is up there with the best, perhaps the very best in TV.

And having escaped the confines of The park, it goes way beyond the films now.

I'm well in for this.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #936 on: February 21, 2020, 11:22:48 am »
Dunno... it'll be strange.

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #937 on: February 21, 2020, 12:05:53 pm »
Can someone do a quick summary of things as at the end of season two? I watched it, but can't remember...
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #938 on: February 21, 2020, 02:56:15 pm »
Looks superb. Sweet child o mine.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #939 on: February 21, 2020, 04:42:34 pm »
Can someone do a quick summary of things as at the end of season two? I watched it, but can't remember...

https://www.hbo.com/westworld/season-2/episode-10-recap

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #940 on: February 21, 2020, 05:09:09 pm »
https://www.hbo.com/westworld/season-2/episode-10-recap

This is better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qahUDXSeFwo

However WAY more complicated than I remember it! Like a Matrix within a Matrix, within an Eternal Sunshine of a spotless Unforgiven!

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #941 on: February 21, 2020, 05:27:44 pm »
I zoned out of season two as well. I think I made it nearly up to the last quarter or so and then jibbed it.

Same, both myself and my missus struggled through to that far then gave it a miss.

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #942 on: February 21, 2020, 09:16:54 pm »
We gave up after episode 8 in the second season. It become more of a chore than enjoyable to watch.

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #943 on: February 22, 2020, 03:38:43 pm »

Alt Shift X does some great 'explanation videos' for each episode of this show (he's also the guy who did some great Game Of Thrones videos):-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt-dJTYofes&list=PLn6yDpEottdhgybg5s39zNxRxBVKenlp6

Though his 'What does Westworld Season 2 mean?' video serves as a good season review / explains the later episodes / main character arcs too:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4Oh6Zx76Bg (12 minutes long)

He also did a 'Westworld Season 2 Timeline Explained' video which shone a light on some of the events of the last season as well:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YrQdNIOP0M

Looking forward to more of Ramin Djawadi's superb re-workings for the music on the new season - 'Westworld: The Covers' (via WaterTower Music) - especially the piano versions:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtdhS2MC75c&list=PLBKadB95sF457xDQY3CItUfiEnTeNBONC&index=1

There may also be some extras at https://inciteinc.com - like there was previously for www.discoverwestworld.com : www.delosincorporated.com : www.delosdestinations.com ...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 09:17:42 pm by oojason »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #944 on: February 22, 2020, 09:15:25 pm »
First season was great. Second one hit unnecessarily complicated the longer it went on but still gonna watch season 3. Aaron Paul is a class addition.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #945 on: March 17, 2020, 12:36:40 am »
It's returned?

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #946 on: March 17, 2020, 02:50:17 am »
Yeah, pretty solid opener, fingers crossed this season's a return to form.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #947 on: March 17, 2020, 03:19:22 am »

Really enjoyed that - plus a nice little easter egg / bonus for fans of Person Of Interest.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #948 on: March 22, 2020, 09:26:38 pm »
Really enjoyed the first one of the new series,.

I hope people caught the after credits extra scene.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #949 on: March 31, 2020, 11:12:42 pm »
Just finished season 2. Not had time to watch it till now. Terrific season. Particularly loved the last few episodes.
The final episode was epic. Totally captivating. Roll on season 3.
bollocks

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #950 on: April 1, 2020, 05:44:46 pm »
Just finished season 2. Not had time to watch it till now. Terrific season. Particularly loved the last few episodes.
The final episode was epic. Totally captivating. Roll on season 3.

We're in a small minority on that in here,I personally loved it & episode 3 of 3 was 10/10 from start to finish,love the main storyline.

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #951 on: April 1, 2020, 10:07:25 pm »
We're in a small minority on that in here,I personally loved it & episode 3 of 3 was 10/10 from start to finish,love the main storyline.
Are we? Not had time to read through the thread. I'm not hyper critical like some of our fellow rawkite aficionados. [emoji4]
Anyhoooo S3 starts now. [emoji106][emoji106]
bollocks

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #952 on: April 1, 2020, 11:18:17 pm »
Well that was erm....totally unexpected
Jaysus
bollocks

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #953 on: April 3, 2020, 06:42:20 pm »
Loved the first two seasons and am loving the 3rd too. Incredible show.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #954 on: April 6, 2020, 11:49:29 am »
Evan Rachel Wood has to be one of the most stunning look people around.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #955 on: April 6, 2020, 12:07:05 pm »
I watched S1 & 2 of this but thought it completely lost its way throughout S2. Is it worth going back to? The cast are good but the S2 story was all over the place, and not in a good way.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #956 on: April 6, 2020, 12:09:12 pm »
Evan Rachel Wood has to be one of the most stunning look people around.

Naturally so,Tessa is also a beauty & I would let Thandie use me as a toilet if she so wished.  :lickin

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #957 on: April 6, 2020, 12:10:20 pm »
I watched S1 & 2 of this but thought it completely lost its way throughout S2. Is it worth going back to? The cast are good but the S2 story was all over the place, and not in a good way.

Wrong person to answer as I thought S2 was fine,S3 has started out real strong though.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #958 on: April 6, 2020, 12:33:34 pm »
Naturally so,Tessa is also a beauty & I would let Thandie use me as a toilet if she so wished.  :lickin

I'm a massive fan of hers but I'm not sure I would go that far  ;D

I loved the first season but people put me off the second, I was told it's complicated. Probably give it a go as I have fuck all else to do.

Offline King Kenny 7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #959 on: April 6, 2020, 02:35:21 pm »
Thandie certainly looks stunning in the Forties style get-up.

I liked S1 but thought S2 was unnecessarily complicated but think I'm gonna like this season after having watched the first two ep's.