Author Topic: Louis Theroux  (Read 101064 times)

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
Re: Louis Theroux
« Reply #1000 on: November 9, 2018, 01:24:20 pm »
Saw it last night. Was really enjoying the whole poly thing until I saw what's going on with Jerry. His pain and lack of eagerness to engage is clear and Heidi is clearly taking advantage of that.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1001 on: November 9, 2018, 03:38:51 pm »
While I do feel bad for him and how he's being clearly taken advantage of, he also surely knows it and needs to grow some fucking balls. I reckon he'll be knee-deep in sympathy fucks after that docu anyway though.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline adruk87

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1002 on: November 9, 2018, 07:32:49 pm »
Just watched that and can safely say I would not be in any way surprised if we saw Gerry on the news at some point post rampage. The guy needs out of that relationship pronto, his wife is a complete dick.
"Corner taken quickly, ORIGI!"

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #1003 on: November 18, 2018, 09:41:04 pm »
Such a fine tightrope he's walking here.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1004 on: November 18, 2018, 10:03:57 pm »
Jeez that was a hard watch  :'(
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1005 on: November 18, 2018, 10:15:01 pm »
Jeez that was a hard watch  :'(

"She is our friend & we are her best friends as she has ZERO friends"

To stop them from being pulled in by the plod "She left a letter for her friend on the door"

I have nothing bad to say about the lady,she did what she wanted to do but the two that "advised" her are fucking parasites.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1006 on: November 18, 2018, 10:15:18 pm »
That was bleak.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1007 on: November 18, 2018, 10:18:59 pm »

To stop them from being pulled in by the plod "She left a letter for her friend on the door"

I have nothing bad to say about the lady,she did what she wanted to do but the two that "advised" her are fucking parasites.
The moment I saw that scene my first thought was: "I wonder if she changed her will." That ending was something else though, some of the most amazing television I've seen in years.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1008 on: November 18, 2018, 10:20:01 pm »

Yeah fucking horrible

I guess you’ve got two pretty extreme polars there, where one guy is clearly deteriorating physically on camera in a short time and another lady who seems properly compus and seems to have reasons not related to illness for wanting to die. Hard where to draw the line in some situations, but I don’t think that was.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1009 on: November 19, 2018, 09:21:49 am »
Hi all was this on the box? Can I catch up on Bbc Iplayer?
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1010 on: November 19, 2018, 04:02:40 pm »
Yeah fucking horrible

I guess you’ve got two pretty extreme polars there, where one guy is clearly deteriorating physically on camera in a short time and another lady who seems properly compus and seems to have reasons not related to illness for wanting to die. Hard where to draw the line in some situations, but I don’t think that was.

It started edging towards Harold shipman territory for me where he was deciding that they no longer needed to go on. Only difference is they weren't giving the dose.

Fully agree with the ones with end stage cancer having the option even tho it seemed to bring different pressures.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 05:17:13 pm by macca007 »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1011 on: November 19, 2018, 04:32:55 pm »
It started edging towards Harold shipman territory for me where he was deciding that they no longer needed to go on. Only difference is they weren't giving the dose.

Fully agree with the ones with end stage cancer having the option even tho it seemed to bring different pressures. The other 2 seemed they

It takes a lot to freak Louis out but those two shysters managed it,gets even worse when you realise that they're explaining to vulnerable people how to best put a bag over their heads and suffocate,whilst fucking watching them do it.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1012 on: November 25, 2018, 09:14:43 pm »
Watched the first couple of minutes of tonight's and had to switch off, too heavy a topic for me.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1013 on: November 26, 2018, 05:34:18 pm »
Thought the episode last night was a little dull in comparison to the other two.

Loved how Louis clocked that the woman who ended up screwing the other family over was up to something from the very first time he met her. There really should be a tighter vetting process from companies involved with this stuff, and they should be liable for any money that is lost rather than those looking to adopt.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1014 on: November 26, 2018, 05:44:02 pm »
Thought the adoption agency were absolute parasites.

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1015 on: November 27, 2018, 09:18:07 am »
Felt very uneasy in this episode. Louis asking probing questions of a young mum who had just given birth was just invasive.

Difficult subject matter to make a documentary about, really, and it didn’t really work.
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #1016 on: November 27, 2018, 10:48:47 am »
Felt very uneasy in this episode. Louis asking probing questions of a young mum who had just given birth was just invasive.

Difficult subject matter to make a documentary about, really, and it didn’t really work.

I think you'll find most would disagree with that. Found it fascinating.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1017 on: November 27, 2018, 10:53:33 am »
Yeah I found it fascinating and thought he was doing as he is meant to do - which is ask questions which make the person (and viewer) think.

Was obvious from the start that woman was gonna do a runner with the money too.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1018 on: November 27, 2018, 10:57:24 am »
They made numerous references to how much the adopting parents had parted with, but don’t think they said how that was distributed between birth mother and agency did they?

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1019 on: November 27, 2018, 10:59:58 am »
Thought that kid was ace as well, the one who met his birth mum. Very mature for a ten year old having to deal with those issues.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1020 on: November 27, 2018, 11:39:20 am »
Such a weird system of adoption. Very American. Not a single Social care worker in sight. No security background check and only voluntary drug checks on request. No paperwork signed and no legal commitment on both sides. Just a lot of money changing hands.

I didn't think it was a bad documentary but I didn't think it was as thought provoking to me as the other 2.

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1021 on: November 28, 2018, 12:45:19 am »
Yeah I found it fascinating and thought he was doing as he is meant to do - which is ask questions which make the person (and viewer) think.

Was obvious from the start that woman was gonna do a runner with the money too.

This is where we disagree. That young woman, let’s face it, she looked under 20, was in one of the most emotional twenty four hours she will ever have, with the added pressure of giving the baby away and a camera crew in her face - I felt Louis should not have been there and certainly shouldn’t have asked those direct questions.

Anyone who has seen their wife give birth will testify, the emotion, the worry and the spectrum of emotions you both go through leaves you completely vulnerable- Louis will know this but I think he went in because the documentary wasn’t yielding scenes of the quality we’re used to in his documentaries - such as the Jerry scenes mentioned above.

I felt he was trying to become an agent of change in the documentary rather than an investigator of the subject matter. I’ve seen all of his documentaries, I’m a massive fan, but it was a clear misstep for me. When he went to revisit her, I felt his attitude towards her was calculated, like he knew the answers he wanted and asked patronising questions to get there.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 12:54:22 am by JamesG L4 »
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #1022 on: November 29, 2018, 03:22:21 pm »
This is where we disagree. That young woman, let’s face it, she looked under 20, was in one of the most emotional twenty four hours she will ever have, with the added pressure of giving the baby away and a camera crew in her face - I felt Louis should not have been there and certainly shouldn’t have asked those direct questions.

Anyone who has seen their wife give birth will testify, the emotion, the worry and the spectrum of emotions you both go through leaves you completely vulnerable- Louis will know this but I think he went in because the documentary wasn’t yielding scenes of the quality we’re used to in his documentaries - such as the Jerry scenes mentioned above.

I felt he was trying to become an agent of change in the documentary rather than an investigator of the subject matter. I’ve seen all of his documentaries, I’m a massive fan, but it was a clear misstep for me. When he went to revisit her, I felt his attitude towards her was calculated, like he knew the answers he wanted and asked patronising questions to get there.

Have to say I totally disagree with this. The whole point of it being the most stressful, emotional etc time in someone's life is saying - in that position, at that time, are you in any place to make such an enormous decision? It seems ludicrous that young women going through the immense stress and trauma of childbirth should then be expected to do so. And the pressure on those young women is all the greater when the adoptive parents and that woman from the agency are lurking in the hospital ready to spirit the baby away. If you're not in a mental place to cope with a journalist asking you questions, you probably shouldn't be deciding whether or not you want to keep your newborn child.

It was hard to do, but no one else was asking those questions and they were important. As he noted they were quiet, reserved people - it seemed plainly possible that they could have been railroaded by the process. The pressure on the agencies is significant; after families provide so much financial support, they will expect to get a baby at the end. It's hard to say that they're really neutral or impartial as to the outcome.

I certainly don't think he was "trying to get good footage". He's not that desperate. Sometimes in life you have to ask the difficult questions, or you have to ask YOURSELF difficult questions.

The only time I felt he was wobbling towards a journalistic grey area was towards the end when the other young mother (who went AWOL) was asking for gas etc and he was giving opinions about her state of mind. He was right but he seemed to be getting a little too involved in the issue.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1023 on: March 4, 2019, 10:28:16 pm »
Yeah. There's scraping the bottom of the barrel for content and then there a million terrible choices and then there is the perspective he chose to take with his latest doc.
« Last Edit: March 6, 2019, 10:30:17 am by gazzalfc »

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #1024 on: March 6, 2019, 10:08:28 am »
That Saif guy was a real scumbag, complete sociopath.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #1025 on: February 14, 2022, 09:53:08 pm »
Anyone see his new series start last night?

Didn’t really see the point in it, he kind of just gave them exposure more than anything.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #1026 on: February 14, 2022, 10:53:10 pm »
Anyone see his new series start last night?

Didn’t really see the point in it, he kind of just gave them exposure more than anything.

You could say that for a lot of his documentaries though and it's something he's addressed. I'd be surprised if being given a platform by a western liberal journalist on the BBC which was generally critical of them as white supremacists is going to drive a lot of new followers their way. The kind of embittered and disenchanted incels who gravitate to their message will find these guys whether or not Louis Theroux makes a documentary about them.

It was an interesting insight into the new media friendly face of white supremacy. Scary stuff really. Though I did think he knew he was pressing the buttons of the whiney little prick who kicked him out :lmao In the past I think he's been more cautious about winding interviewees up to the point of being told to fuck off, though his question was perfectly valid.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 10:54:59 pm by JerseyKloppite »

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1027 on: February 15, 2022, 09:59:21 am »
Just watched the latest one.

It's very worrying how 'free speech' combined with social media effectively generates a huge platform for hate, racism and violence.

There'll be so many vulnerable young people hating life, easily accessing this tripe every day.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1028 on: February 15, 2022, 10:03:33 am »
Is his new one on the iPlayer?

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1029 on: February 15, 2022, 10:06:15 am »
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #1030 on: February 15, 2022, 08:27:55 pm »
Thought it was a very weird watch.

The neo-nazis he interviewed back in the day wore their racism with pride. They didn't even make the slightest attempt to hide it. It lent itself to good conversations because both sides understood each other.

These guys who spend all their time in the basement streaming? I don't think they believe a word they say. They're socially inept losers who simply by being as edgy as possible have finally found a place where they "belong". If they weren't shouting outrageously racist stuff they'd be anonymously racking up hours on video games. This gives them and their fans a sense of community that they don't get in their lives.

You get the sense the racists from his old documentaries have been spouting the same bile non-stop every day of their lives since then. This lot only say it because it gets them viewers. It was a bit of wasted documentary because you can't communicate with them. They're like scientologists, they exist only in their own little subculture. They'll avoid questions from the outside world and then report back to the safety of their group with their little in-jokes. Part of me almost feels sorry for them.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #1031 on: February 15, 2022, 08:28:28 pm »
It was good, but I kept wanting him to ask them directly to try and elicit an honest answer - ‘where do your insecurities come from?’

I wanted him to ask for two reasons, 1) genuinely interested to know how someone, apparently semi-intelligent, becomes so filled with hate. And 2) to hold a mirror up to the fact that their views are born out of massive insecurity and low self-esteem (which is the opposite to the way they see themselves). Would they be embarrassed? Or just even angrier? Probably the latter.

They were scary simply because of that intelligence (in terms of communication rather than any sort of emotional intelligence). Your average fat right group in the UK is filled with such morons who couldn’t organise a piss up in a brewery, that they’re never of much concern. These fuckers are cleverer as they’re targeting lonely gamers and internet trolls, which seem to be increasing groups in society.

It was interesting stuff, and I know it’s not his usual style, but I think Louis had clearly decided to lay his own cards on the table….and having done that he could’ve gone for the jugular. He got under their skin…but he didn’t provoke any deep introspection.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #1032 on: February 15, 2022, 08:46:13 pm »
It was good, but I kept wanting him to ask them directly to try and elicit an honest answer - ‘where do your insecurities come from?’

I wanted him to ask for two reasons, 1) genuinely interested to know how someone, apparently semi-intelligent, becomes so filled with hate. And 2) to hold a mirror up to the fact that their views are born out of massive insecurity and low self-esteem (which is the opposite to the way they see themselves). Would they be embarrassed? Or just even angrier? Probably the latter.

They were scary simply because of that intelligence (in terms of communication rather than any sort of emotional intelligence). Your average fat right group in the UK is filled with such morons who couldn’t organise a piss up in a brewery, that they’re never of much concern. These fuckers are cleverer as they’re targeting lonely gamers and internet trolls, which seem to be increasing groups in society.

It was interesting stuff, and I know it’s not his usual style, but I think Louis had clearly decided to lay his own cards on the table….and having done that he could’ve gone for the jugular. He got under their skin…but he didn’t provoke any deep introspection.
That's more or less how I felt too. I think Louis may regret not going for the jugular like you say. He's said since that he regrets not being even more confrontational when that guy with the beard (imagine that being your whole personality) told him to the leave the house.

Now back in the UK, Louis, 51, said: “I wonder if I left too quickly. It’s his property and if he says ‘leave my property’ I guess I have to leave but part of me thought I should have said ‘why don’t you make me?’ He’s quite small.”

Asked if he could have taken him in a fight, he laughed: “That’s exactly what I’m saying. He was a weedy little guy who spent a long time on his computer.”

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #1033 on: February 15, 2022, 09:01:21 pm »
;D That would’ve got his ratings up!