Author Topic: Virgil Van Dijk (Cpt)  (Read 1460388 times)

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Virgil Van Dijk PFA Player of the Year
« Reply #5800 on: August 19, 2019, 12:51:40 pm »
So you're saying if he has a haircut, we'll be taking a haircut?

As he's gotten older, it's become more concentrated as you can see from photos of him, making his powers stronger.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #5801 on: August 19, 2019, 12:57:33 pm »
People really need to ignore Crooks' TOTW, it's just crap he puts out every week yet way too many people give it consideration.

We should really just ignore everything shouldn’t we?  ;)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #5802 on: August 19, 2019, 01:57:56 pm »
Someone mentioned somewhere that Garth Crooks only puts LFC players in his team of the week so he can take a dig at team mates or management. In this week's steaming pile, he nominates Matip and then insinuates that he does all the work while VVD walks about keeping his ponytail neat. Clueless berk.

Crooks is a weird one. 90% of the time he talks out of his hoop, but then he'll surprise you with something astute and profound. Take this from today's effort:

Should the Toffees finish in the top six then their manager survives. Anything short of that then Everton's fans will start asking their usual questions. It's unfortunate for Marco Silva that Liverpool are doing so well but that's what this is all about.

Nailed it
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5803 on: August 19, 2019, 02:00:26 pm »
Was having this convo with a mate on Friday. The current version of Van Dijk or Matt Hummels circa 2013/14?

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5804 on: August 19, 2019, 02:02:49 pm »
Was having this convo with a mate on Friday. The current version of Van Dijk or Matt Hummels circa 2013/14?

Van Dijk by a mile.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5805 on: August 19, 2019, 02:04:40 pm »
Is right mate but you know some can't stand Liverpool players being up there with the very best. Not to say that version of Hummels was bad, he was great arguably the best at the time.

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5806 on: August 19, 2019, 02:06:28 pm »

VVD for me but that may be because i see every minute of him and i didnt see everything of Hummels.

VVD seems the most composed and relaxed of any player i have ever seen live. that flick against southampton at the weekend to milner is a prime example. He always seems to have more to give if needed. The example id use there was Traore v Wolves last season where everyone thought he was done for for pace but he just eased into another gear.

Those lucky enough to have seen Hansen at first hand may disagree but i think this man is the best defender we have ever had.

Also in answer to your question i think VVD will sustain this for a few seasons yet. Would you say Hummels peaked but then dropped away quite quickly? VVD to me seems to be up there already for 18 months and see no reason why he wont be for another few years yet.

I have probably done Hummels a dis-service but i dont really care haha. VVD is head and shoulders above anyone that i have ever seen defensively.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #5807 on: August 19, 2019, 02:21:14 pm »

VVD.

Hummels was fantastic and still strangely underrated during that time (and beyond) - from 2008 really onwards.

But one 'problem' with Hummels is that such was his adventure, he was prone to some howlers  ;D  But still a truly wonderful player.

One thing I'd give Hummels above him (but only so far) is longevity, he's played at such a fantastic level from the age of 19, he had a decade of football in him where he was consistantly one of the best. But of course, Virgil can do that same too now, he's a long way to go.

But yeah, overall Virgil - cos he's a bit of a one off. Not saying he'll not make mistakes, cos of course, every player will, but he's such a safe defender as well as being such a dominant defender. And for all Hummels wonderful talent, those brain-farts did happen!

By the way, I think that they share a similar honest relationship with the boss. Although I don't think Virgil is as difficult as Mats Hummels.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 02:22:51 pm by Dim Glas »

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #5808 on: August 19, 2019, 02:30:30 pm »
Watching VVD it feels as if he's only using about 1% of his true power and he'l only use more if it's necessary.
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5809 on: August 19, 2019, 02:51:06 pm »

Harry Maguire, 11th August, 4:30pm-6:15pm.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #5810 on: August 19, 2019, 02:58:23 pm »
Watching VVD it feels as if he's only using about 1% of his true power and he'l only use more if it's necessary.

Should have used more than 1% on the Yoshida chance KNOWHADIMEAN!!!

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5811 on: August 19, 2019, 03:45:17 pm »
Suarez used to do stuff on the pitch that I would just laugh at because it was so absurdly good/ridiculous. I laughed when Van Dijk pulled this one off on Saturday.

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1163028513324195850?s=20
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #5812 on: August 19, 2019, 04:17:17 pm »
VVD.

Hummels was fantastic and still strangely underrated during that time (and beyond) - from 2008 really onwards.

But one 'problem' with Hummels is that such was his adventure, he was prone to some howlers  ;D  But still a truly wonderful player.

One thing I'd give Hummels above him (but only so far) is longevity, he's played at such a fantastic level from the age of 19, he had a decade of football in him where he was consistantly one of the best. But of course, Virgil can do that same too now, he's a long way to go.

But yeah, overall Virgil - cos he's a bit of a one off. Not saying he'll not make mistakes, cos of course, every player will, but he's such a safe defender as well as being such a dominant defender. And for all Hummels wonderful talent, those brain-farts did happen!

By the way, I think that they share a similar honest relationship with the boss. Although I don't think Virgil is as difficult as Mats Hummels.

Nobody is as difficult as Hummels...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5813 on: August 19, 2019, 04:21:02 pm »
Suarez used to do stuff on the pitch that I would just laugh at because it was so absurdly good/ridiculous. I laughed when Van Dijk pulled this one off on Saturday.

I laughed and gasped out loud when he did that,there isn't a better defender on the planet atm.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #5814 on: August 22, 2019, 10:35:57 pm »
Must be next for a new contract?

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #5815 on: August 22, 2019, 10:36:59 pm »
I laughed and gasped out loud when he did that,there isn't a better defender on the planet atm.

Dutch coaching. Best in the world ;D
Better looking than Samie.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5816 on: August 22, 2019, 10:38:31 pm »
Dutch coaching. Best in the world ;D

Yet oddly they've produced very little attacking talent in the last decade.

Offline tornado

• ali
  • Kopite
« Reply #5817 on: August 23, 2019, 12:46:29 am »
For those in the states, there is a 30min interview on NBC (might haven been sky doing it and then syndicating).

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #5818 on: August 23, 2019, 06:22:38 am »
Yet oddly they've produced very little attacking talent in the last decade.
No more Suriname raids? ;)
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #5819 on: August 24, 2019, 12:09:06 pm »
Talksport asked him a few questions, mostly benign but I loved the response to the greatest game he's ever watched :lmao

Greatest player you’ve played with
I’m going to be a little bit biased and say one of my team-mates; I would say Roberto Firmino

Greatest player of all time
Ronaldinho. He was one of my idols.

Greatest manager of all time
Ronald Koeman and Jurgen Klopp.

Greatest game you’ve played in
The Barcelona game. [Liverpool 4-0 Barcelona in last season’s Champions League semi-final]

Greatest game you’ve watched
I watched the Barcelona game back.

Your greatest moment in football
My debut for all my teams.

Greatest kit you’ve worn
The Liverpool kit.

Greatest atmosphere you’ve played in
Anfield.

Greatest stadium you’ve been to
Anfield.

Most difficult striker to mark in the Premier League
Sergio Aguero.
:D

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5820 on: August 24, 2019, 12:16:51 pm »
He has an interview with Henry Winter in todays Times, pity I can't read read it as you need a (paid) subscription.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #5821 on: August 24, 2019, 12:26:37 pm »
Greatest game you’ve played in
The Barcelona game. [Liverpool 4-0 Barcelona in last season’s Champions League semi-final]

Genius.

And I'll say it again.

I don't think he's the best CB we've ever had.

I think he's the best CB anyone's ever had.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5822 on: August 24, 2019, 12:41:30 pm »
Talksport asked him a few questions, mostly benign but I loved the response to the greatest game he's ever watched :lmao

Greatest player you’ve played with
I’m going to be a little bit biased and say one of my team-mates; I would say Roberto Firmino

Wow, he knows..

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #5823 on: August 24, 2019, 12:45:44 pm »

Brilliant answer! ;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Koparoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Number 7 is just around the corner!!
« Reply #5824 on: August 24, 2019, 01:31:01 pm »
He has an interview with Henry Winter in todays Times, pity I can't read read it as you need a (paid) subscription.

It is a great article (worth taking out a subscription...)

Liverpool’s a big family. They look after you. That’s why I came here
Henry Winter, Chief Football Writer
August 23 2019, 5:00pm, The Times

Van Dijk transformed Liverpool’s defence after joining from Southampton for what was a world-record fee for a defender

Fifty-seven minutes into Liverpool’s game at Southampton last Saturday, and Jan Bednarek sweeps a 60-yard ball down the right towards Nathan Redmond. Virgil van Dijk, a chess grand master of a centre back, has already read the move and assessed the possibility of a Liverpool counter. The PFA Player of the Year already has a picture of everybody’s location and direction of travel, friend or foe.

He’s seen his left back Andrew Robertson pushed up, as so often ready to spring another raid. He knows the midfield player James Milner drops back, partly covering Robertson. Southampton have possession but Van Dijk has control. Running towards the goal-line, Redmond awaits Bednarek’s delivery; he’s a good player, the Southampton attacker, nimble and alive to the ball, but he’s stealthily ambushed by Van Dijk.

Liverpool’s No 4 could play safe, heading the ball out, but he understands these precious split-seconds of transition allow Jürgen Klopp’s side to break dangerously. So he flicks the ball back with the tip of his right foot over Redmond, back upfield to Milner, elegantly launching the counter.

The Dutchman reclaims balls from the opposition with the skill, efficiency and future value with which his compatriots famously reclaim land from the sea. Van Dijk’s action seems effortless, almost nonchalant, but the advance work is already done by his brain. The ball is instantly with Gini Wijnaldum, then Robertson and off Liverpool set again.

On Wednesday, he discusses the moment with Milner at Melwood, reflecting the depth of analysis Liverpool do, even when it’s simply two players chatting after training. On Thursday, Van Dijk glides into an ante-chamber of Liverpool’s training ground, arriving early for the interview, filling the room with an aura and a height that requires the photographer to stand on a chair. He nods at the memory of the Redmond incident.

“It’s going so quick, split-seconds, where you try to overlook [anticipate] certain situations before they actually happen,” he explains. “You look at the guy on the ball, and you have to have a solution for when the ball comes to you. Sometimes, I try to head it to Robbo or our midfield players and we can play on. Sometimes you just have to clear it. This moment, I could play on.”

On the wall to his right hangs a photograph of Mark Lawrenson but it is Lawrenson’s central defensive partner, Alan Hansen, the epitome of unruffled, that Van Dijk most finds himself compared to. ‘There are plenty of pictures of him upstairs!” Van Dijk smiles. “I’ve heard so many good things about him, how calm he also was, how great on the ball, such a leader for Liverpool, so it’s great to be compared to such a great player.”

His composure is celebrated by the Kop in their song: “he’ll pass the ball; calm as you like”. “I was always like that,” the 28-year-old recalls. “Back in the day [trying to make his way at Willem II and Groningen], people would always say I was a bit too nonchalant. Maybe I was. Over the years, I’ve found the right balance when to calm things down and sometimes just speed things up.”

He believes his Surinamese ancestry via his mother, Hellen, contributes to this. “100 per cent. Our mentality is always to relax a little bit, the Suriname people love to just enjoy life. At the beginning of my career, people said it could be my weakness, but I’ve learned to pick the moment when to be calm, and when not.”

As with many Dutch footballing talents, Van Dijk’s development began on a Cruyff Court, the 40m by 28m pitches funded by the Johan Cruyff Foundation. “We had two Cruyff Courts in Breda, one was pretty close to where I lived [in Haagse Beemden, northwest of the city]. You play five-a-side, and there were so many teams there, and the winners stay on. If you get beaten, you had to wait quite a bit! It was so competitive. Sometimes there were fights, that happens. There was so much quality there. These courts are a very important base for young players.” The name alone was an inspiration. “I knew how big a player Cruyff was, an icon of Dutch football, and a great human being.”

Van Dijk’s journey from Breda to Beatleville, from Cruyff Court to European champion, has not been straightforward. He had to overcome the doubts of some coaches in the Netherlands, growing pains at 15, washing dishes for €4 an hour in the Oncle Jean restaurant in Breda as a 17-year-old while trying to break through at Groningen, then appendicitis at 19. All the time, he is driven by Hellen’s advice. “My mum and dad broke up [when he was 12], and my mum was most of the time taking care of us [Van Dijk and his two siblings], giving us the basics: ‘Be respectful, work hard, stay positive and always follow your dreams’. That’s definitely something I kept doing.”

He never lost faith in his dream, leaving Groningen for Celtic for £2.6 million in 2013, making his name in Paradise, bringing a £12.5 million move to Southampton two years later and then signing for Liverpool in a £75 million deal. He was immediately taken with Liverpool’s “family” feel. “They’re really there for you, take care of you. That’s really important. Celtic has a similar feeling. It’s something I appreciate a lot, and one of the main reasons I made the decision to come here.”

He swiftly discovered the immense size of the local, national and global fanbase. “My first pre-season we went to America and I saw so many Liverpool fans! I knew Liverpool were a massive club, but to be everywhere in the world is unbelievable. Everyone feels part of the club. It doesn’t really matter where you’re from. If you’re a Red, you’re in the family for life. That’s a great feeling.”

He accepts this zeal for Liverpool as a pleasure not a pressure. “I just want to go out there and play freely. I turned 28 over the summer, and just want to enjoy every bit of it because before you know it, it [a career] is over. I don’t want to think I should have done ‘this’ or ‘that’.” Seize the moment. And the trophies.

Dealing with pressure has become easier with fatherhood putting sport into perspective. “Yes. It’s massively helped me. That was the biggest turnaround of my mental strength, being with my wife, having my first kid [five years ago], and now I’m blessed to have two beautiful daughters. If you lose a game, and come home and see them smiling, nothing can beat that.

“Football is almost the most important thing in my life. It’s why I work hard, day in, day out, going to training, wanting to maximise all the qualities I’m trying to show. But there is just one thing above and that’s my family, what I have at home.

“Especially after my first big injury at Southampton [his ankle in 2017], I just started to properly be so strong mentally. Now I feel like I can beat the world. I hope this feeling can stay for ever. I don’t work with anyone, it’s all me.” That’s rare, I suggest, an elite sportsman working without a psychologist. “Yes. I’m very happy I’ve found a way that I can do it.” The “way” is lit by that innate belief he has, that “follow your dreams” mantra from Hellen, that love of his family and Klopp’s backing.

He handles his profession’s vicissitudes adroitly. “I know how tough and cruel this world can be: what if you score an own goal, make a mistake, concede a goal, miss a penalty, lose a final? These days with social media it can be very cruel. You can be affected by it. I’m very happy it doesn’t really hurt me.”

He was shocked by the online racist abuse suffered by Paul Pogba after the Manchester United midfield player missed a penalty against Wolves on Monday. “I don’t think the world has become more racist but there are still people out there that say these foul things. There are plenty of people who ruin it for other people. These days anyone can make an account with Twitter, just put something out there, so many people can retweet it. If they [Twitter] really want to change it, they can do something about identification when you post something. Then it can go straight back, ‘you did this’.”

The two dressing rooms he inhabits, Liverpool and Holland, are celebrations of diversity. Van Dijk likes that football teams can lead the way for society. “I have that feeling,” he replies. Sportsmen and women are becoming important leaders o the pitch, too, the likes of Raheem Sterling, Colin Kaepernick and Megan Rapinoe. People that kids look up to. We always should be an example. Outside of the pitch I’m looked up to by kids and younger footballers who want to become a professional. I know the responsibility I have. I want to be a leader.

“I know I can handle the responsibility because of how I am as a person, I don’t do crazy things. I’m not on social media day in, day out. I just want to be normal and do my job and enjoy life. If you look at our team, the qualities we have, the goals we score, we definitely enjoy every bit of it. I’m very proud and happy that more people enjoy the defensive work. For all of us defenders it’s great to get recognition.”

We return to discussing his defending and the moment 85 minutes into the game with Spurs at Anfield on March 31, when Van Dijk finds himself facing the breaking Moussa Sissoko with Son Heung-min available. Van Dijk closes down the space to Son, leaving Sissoko the only option of a shot — on his weaker left foot. “As any defender in an academy [learns], when you have a two versus one situation, you try to direct them to one side. I know Son is a better finisher than Sissoko. Sissoko could have scored but he didn’t hit it well. With me and Alisson, it’s almost two versus two because Alisson’s not easy to beat either!”

The understanding between the pair is substantial, and seen in the 89th minute of the Champions League final in Madrid. Liverpool have a dead-ball and Van Dijk walks away from goal with the ball, which he casually drops and, without looking, backheels unneringly to Alisson. “I was a little bit tired as well! I tried to get rid of a little bit of time! Everyone saw last year how good Alisson is, how important he is for us.”

Recovering from a calf injury, Alisson misses Saturday’s game with Arsenal. “Until Alisson is back then we have full confidence in Adrian. He’s a quality goalkeeper, experienced.” Adrian started in the Uefa Super Cup, where Liverpool looked to be playing a higher defensive line, conceding twice in an unconvincing defensive performance while Chelsea’s Mason Mount was ruled offside after putting the ball past Adrian. “In certain situations it looks like it [a high line] but I don’t think we’re doing things differently. There were certain goals disallowed and it looks then that we’re not defending pretty well.” Were they pushing up, knowing the VAR should catch all offsides, even by an armpit? “No, no! It’s nothing to do with VAR. The new rule is we have to play on until the whistle, and sometimes it looks a bit chaotic, especially when we have a high line, and the player is offside and we still play on.”

Liverpool have a settled back four with the only rotation really being Joël Matip or Joe Gomez partnering Van Dijk — “they’re different players but both have so much quality” — and Gomez occasionally replacing Trent Alexander-Arnold at right back. “Trent’s a fantastic young English talent, and has so much potential still. That’s only going to benefit everyone in England. I’m very happy he’s in our team. The same with Robbo, who’s been making huge steps, especially last season, he was outstanding, maybe the best left back in the world. It’s on all of us to show it again. We all want to.”

A relentlessness defines the elite. “I know every player in our team can do even better than last year. We all start from nothing, everything that happened last year shouldn’t really count. Of course, I’m proud of what we achieved, especially in the beginning of the summer, I was still up in the clouds and very happy, that’s normal as the Champions League is not something you win every year. Well, you hope to win it every year! But it’s not that easy.

“The draw for the Champions League is next week and everyone wants to get the trophy from our hands. It’s on us to show from scratch again that we want to go for it again. We know how tough it is. Also, in the league, we are European champions, is it going to help us win the league? I don’t think so.”

It’s about concentration, expression of special gifts and dealing with prolific attackers such as Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Alexandre Lacazette this weekend. “They’re fantastic finishers, both of them. They’ve got pace, but overall Arsenal are just a great team. They have a clear plan of playing. It’s a fantastic game to play in.”

He doesn’t study opponents much. “Not any more. In the first season at Southampton, I looked at clips of who I was going to face. I’m at a stage now that I know most of the strikers, all their strengths and weaknesses. I know I’m going to face quality strikers. Only before the game do I put my mind to what I’m going to face and then I focus on myself and the team.” Van Dijk’s prepared.

*   Dutch stars made in Suriname

Virgil van Dijk is another Dutch footballer with roots (his mother) in Suriname, a small country on the northeast tip of South America

RUUD GULLIT
Son of a Surinamese migrant, he won 66 Holland caps and played for Feyenoord, AC Milan and Chelsea

FRANK RIJKAARD
Like Gullit, his father was a footballer in Suriname. The defensive midfielder played for Ajax, AC Milan and 73 times for Holland

EDGAR DAVIDS
Born in Suriname, played for Ajax, Juventus and Tottenham Hotspur as well as making 74 appearances for Holland

PATRICK KLUIVERT
His father was a footballer born in Suriname. He played for Ajax, Barcelona and 79 times for Holland

ARON WINTER
Born in Suriname, the defender made more than 100 appearances for Ajax and Lazio. He won 84 caps for Holland

JIMMY FLOYD HASSELBAINK
Born in Suriname, the striker scored goals for Leeds, Chelsea and Middlesbrough as well as nine in 23 games for Holland

From <https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/virgil-van-dijk-interview-liverpool-s-a-big-family-they-look-after-you-that-s-why-i-came-here-ngjdxm7zj?region=global>
"After 27 years and 11 days, finally, we got justice for the 96"
Adrian Tempany

... YNWA

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5825 on: August 24, 2019, 02:53:45 pm »
Clarence Seedorf?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5826 on: August 24, 2019, 03:51:40 pm »
Fucking hell...

You never go full Partridge Henry

The Dutchman reclaims balls from the opposition with the skill, efficiency and future value with which his compatriots famously reclaim land from the sea.

:lmao
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #5827 on: August 26, 2019, 10:27:28 pm »
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Salty Dog

• Sworn enemy of Sugary Cat.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Put Captain Solo in the cargo hold.
« Reply #5828 on: August 26, 2019, 10:45:46 pm »
It's like all punishments though, isn't it. You just have to close your eyes, grit your teeth and think of England. - Yorkykopite

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #5829 on: August 26, 2019, 10:59:00 pm »

;D

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #5830 on: August 26, 2019, 11:00:44 pm »
Brilliant answer! ;D

I quite like his mention of Koeman.

Loyalty to his national manager or a dig at our Blue compatriots?  :D

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #5831 on: August 27, 2019, 12:15:30 am »
*   Dutch stars made in Suriname

Virgil van Dijk is another Dutch footballer with roots (his mother) in Suriname, a small country on the northeast tip of South America

RUUD GULLIT
Son of a Surinamese migrant, he won 66 Holland caps and played for Feyenoord, AC Milan and Chelsea

FRANK RIJKAARD
Like Gullit, his father was a footballer in Suriname. The defensive midfielder played for Ajax, AC Milan and 73 times for Holland

EDGAR DAVIDS
Born in Suriname, played for Ajax, Juventus and Tottenham Hotspur as well as making 74 appearances for Holland

PATRICK KLUIVERT
His father was a footballer born in Suriname. He played for Ajax, Barcelona and 79 times for Holland

ARON WINTER
Born in Suriname, the defender made more than 100 appearances for Ajax and Lazio. He won 84 caps for Holland

JIMMY FLOYD HASSELBAINK
Born in Suriname, the striker scored goals for Leeds, Chelsea and Middlesbrough as well as nine in 23 games for Holland

From <https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/virgil-van-dijk-interview-liverpool-s-a-big-family-they-look-after-you-that-s-why-i-came-here-ngjdxm7zj?region=global>

aaaand Gini!!

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #5832 on: August 27, 2019, 12:35:57 am »
Literally 3 posts above yours.

haha, thanks
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #5833 on: August 27, 2019, 10:41:56 am »
Clarence Seedorf?

Heck Yes. Big miss from that list.

Only player to win CL with 3 different clubs. One of my favourite midfielders.

What I took from the interview was how Virgil wants to just train hard and play well, he wants to be normal and enjoy life. He said he doesn't want to look back and think I should have done things differently. He realises now is his time to win things he can look back on. A smart guy.
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #5834 on: August 29, 2019, 06:09:45 am »
Heck Yes. Big miss from that list.

Only player to win CL with 3 different clubs. One of my favourite midfielders.

Alonso was close. He got to the semis I think with Bayern
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline sushared

• Main Stander
« Reply #5835 on: August 29, 2019, 02:19:10 pm »
will he get it or not?

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5836 on: August 29, 2019, 02:21:47 pm »
will he get it or not?
Nah.  Messi will
W

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #5837 on: August 29, 2019, 03:05:27 pm »
will he get it or not?
Either way he's the best football player in the World right now.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #5838 on: August 29, 2019, 04:02:50 pm »

Like a boss
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5839 on: August 29, 2019, 04:06:31 pm »

Like a boss
That’s the new Janes Bond sorted then.....
W