Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3474113 times)

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #55080 on: August 19, 2022, 01:42:04 am »
i've been rewatching Predator movies (in no particular order) and have just finished the original predator

it's universally accepted a great film in its genre and suspect most if not all here view it that way, and it really is a brilliant movie and something that stood out as i watched it yet again, there's not one line of dialogue in that film that's superfluous, there's not one scene that is padder, there's not one corner cut (pet peave of mine with modern tv, do it all the time, even the good ones), i wonder how many movies could claim that?

nothing in that movie shouldn't be there and nothing in that movie is missing, really is a masterclass

granted, it's the simplest of stories and the most linear of arcs but so is P2 (which i rate) and you could edit the shit out of that film and it would be a whole lot better for it
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #55081 on: August 19, 2022, 08:37:57 am »
Anyone seen DC Super Pets?

My 5 year old girl loves animal stuff and DC Super Hero Girls, but just wanted to make she'd "get it" because 2 hours in the cinema with an uninterested child is hell to me.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55082 on: August 19, 2022, 09:24:01 am »
Anyone seen DC Super Pets?

My 5 year old girl loves animal stuff and DC Super Hero Girls, but just wanted to make she'd "get it" because 2 hours in the cinema with an uninterested child is hell to me.

Yeah, brought my 5 year old to see it when it came out. I think I enjoyed it more than she did  :D
She was going on about seeing it for ages before, but about an hour in wanted to go home but generally has a short attention span anyway and sometimes will have a film on 4 or 5 times to get from start to finish.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #55083 on: August 19, 2022, 11:21:47 am »
I was actually pretty disappointed that Prey wasn't based on the Video game.

Now THAT would have made an amazing film!

Tonight, off to see Nope! as the missus doesn't fancy it and is on the lash with her mates.

Sunday booked in to watch Star Trek: The Motion Picture (The orginal) and also booked in to see ST II and III and hope to watch them all

Also booked in to see Jaws 3D (lol) and E.T

Love watching retro films in the Cinema
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55084 on: August 19, 2022, 12:20:05 pm »
I've been hoping for a film of the game Prey as well - brilliant game and perfect for a top movie, the content is so good there's no fucking excuse for a shite adaptation like most videogame films are

genuinely surprised someone hasn't done it already, prime sci fi and when you think of all the shite sci fi movies that come down the line

it almost writes itself:

act 1 origin
act II discovery/knowledge/exploration
act III escalation/revelation

anyone who has played the game can imagine how that all pans out, a very simple arc

or you could make it more interesting and take a jacob's ladder approach, fuck, i'd love that, prefect to frame it that way

some c*nt do this  :lmao

(btw have Prey (movie) soundtrack on in the background, fucking awesome, this shit is zimmer worthy)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 12:23:36 pm by Armand9 »
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55085 on: August 20, 2022, 12:22:12 pm »
Which am I better off watching when Saudi play Abu Dhabi tomorrow afternoon, Nope or Bullet Train? I’m going the pics with my bird.

Online damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55086 on: August 20, 2022, 10:27:00 pm »
Nope for me was a bit longer than it needed to be but I was entertained, with a few good jumpy moments in there. Keke Palmer was excellent.

Bullet train looks terrible, as does Brad Pitt these days! (for Brad Pitt)
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55087 on: August 20, 2022, 10:37:44 pm »
Bullet train looks terrible, as does Brad Pitt these days! (for Brad Pitt)

Still would.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55088 on: August 20, 2022, 10:49:29 pm »
I'd say Nope,  I thoroughly enjoyed it and it's theme's and mysteries have been swirling in my head ever since.

Bullet Trains just nonsense,  breezy watch but you've forgotten it the next day.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55089 on: August 21, 2022, 04:43:48 pm »
just watched Nocturnal Animals and only just realised that the actor in the 'flashbacks' isn't amy adams

i thought they'd done some age processing stuff or something and i was thinking while watching it whatever they done it's hella of a job in making her look younger, you'd never know  ;D

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55090 on: August 21, 2022, 09:50:52 pm »
Finally got round to Doctor Sleep, really good film.
And so have I.
I'm really surprised there doesn't appear to be much love for the film. It was an absolute delight, typical and classic King. A wonderful revisit to one of my favourite films from back in the day. So many remarkable moments, it was an unexpected treat without, imo a disappointing ending.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55091 on: August 21, 2022, 09:51:06 pm »
Thought Prey was alright. Was solidly entertaining enough, and fun in places. Yes, it's a bit far fetched and stretches the grounds of plausibility despite it being complete fantasy science-fiction. The girl managing to best everything around her was the least grating thing about it, which is a mad thing to say. I watched it in the Comanche dub so that it removed the modern American accent out of the equation, but even then, the subtitles betrayed it. It's one of those films that's been made well enough and simplistic enough that it can get away with being entertaining and nothing more so long as you disengage the bit of your brain that says "aye, well, that's a load of bollocks". It feels a bit like a computer game without the trail and error. Naru has one life and a fuck load of power ups, and that's all she's gettin'. No respawns here. Thankfully it's set on easy mode, and she susses it all out on the first go. I liked her character, though. Anyone who complains about the fact that a 80lb girl doing up a Predator and mentions that a bunch of roided-out mercs in the first film struggled to, clearly missed the point of that. I mean, it's a valid point, but not at the same time.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 09:53:30 pm by Macphisto80 »

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55092 on: August 21, 2022, 09:59:36 pm »
I've been hoping for a film of the game Prey as well - brilliant game and perfect for a top movie, the content is so good there's no fucking excuse for a shite adaptation like most videogame films are

genuinely surprised someone hasn't done it already, prime sci fi and when you think of all the shite sci fi movies that come down the line

it almost writes itself:

act 1 origin
act II discovery/knowledge/exploration
act III escalation/revelation

anyone who has played the game can imagine how that all pans out, a very simple arc

or you could make it more interesting and take a jacob's ladder approach, fuck, i'd love that, prefect to frame it that way

some c*nt do this  :lmao

(btw have Prey (movie) soundtrack on in the background, fucking awesome, this shit is zimmer worthy)
Half-Life is an obvious candidate for a film. A HBO TV show would be far better choice, though. My only stipulation - and it's a vital one - is that it's given to someone who actually knows how to make a good science fiction script and can direct. Alex Garland, maybe? He'd be fine for it. Otherwise I hope they never touch it.

As an aside to this, I'm currently reading The Mist. It's really difficult to see any kind of correlation (apart from the obvious framework) between it and HL, but it's what HL was based on. The film is a perfect adaptation of the book too.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #55093 on: August 24, 2022, 01:10:04 pm »
Looking forward to watching this later in the week.

Stallone playing a superhero.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/9FKnTxSC16E" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/9FKnTxSC16E</a>
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #55094 on: August 24, 2022, 01:36:40 pm »
Finally saw Nope - I really liked it.

Missus didn't fancy it and I'm glad she didn't go - wasn't her bag..

.. saw that advert for Smile - looks as creepy as fuck!

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #55095 on: August 24, 2022, 03:24:54 pm »

Are you sure this wasn't a mirror?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #55096 on: August 24, 2022, 03:41:53 pm »

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #55097 on: August 24, 2022, 05:36:59 pm »
Bullet Train was the exact level of madness I was hoping it would be.

Enjoyed it for what it was.
JFT97

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55098 on: August 24, 2022, 09:28:43 pm »
Finally saw Nope - I really liked it.

Missus didn't fancy it and I'm glad she didn't go - wasn't her bag..

I don't like horror films so sitting through that trailer for Smile was horrendous before seeing Nope.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #55099 on: August 24, 2022, 09:28:53 pm »
Looking forward to watching this later in the week.

Stallone playing a superhero.
Same here. Still a sucker for whatever Sly, Arnie etc put out. As preposterous as seeing men at their age do action. They still have the charisma!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #55100 on: August 25, 2022, 11:07:07 am »
I don't like horror films so sitting through that trailer for Smile was horrendous before seeing Nope.

Freaked me out too :)

Saw Bullet Train with the Missus on Screen X

Holy shit :lmao

Absolutely brilliant!

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #55101 on: August 25, 2022, 11:22:23 am »
Nope is in the usual places online at the moment

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55102 on: August 25, 2022, 06:19:46 pm »
thanks, just finished Nope

taken at surface level i think it's a decent watch, slow paced but it keeps you with it and the payoff is fair

if you're into dissecting film elements loaded with social commentary (hollywood particularly gets a shoeing  ;D), metaphors and such like you can fill your boots with this one as it's packed with so much in that regard, pretty much everything in it and for me is more interesting and a better movie when all that is taken onboard

some nice performances as well (particularly Daniel Kaluuya as the brooding understated OJ) in a movie not over burdened with dialogue

Spoiler
i love keith david so was disappointed his cameo was so brief but meh, script demanded it so there's that
[close]
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 06:25:48 pm by Armand9 »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #55103 on: August 25, 2022, 08:56:21 pm »
thanks, just finished Nope

taken at surface level i think it's a decent watch, slow paced but it keeps you with it and the payoff is fair

if you're into dissecting film elements loaded with social commentary (hollywood particularly gets a shoeing  ;D), metaphors and such like you can fill your boots with this one as it's packed with so much in that regard, pretty much everything in it and for me is more interesting and a better movie when all that is taken onboard

some nice performances as well (particularly Daniel Kaluuya as the brooding understated OJ) in a movie not over burdened with dialogue

Spoiler
i love keith david so was disappointed his cameo was so brief but meh, script demanded it so there's that
[close]

Yeah OJ was brilliant in his lack of reaction. Like if it happened to you, you'd be thinking WTAF

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55104 on: August 26, 2022, 05:48:50 am »
Nope is in the usual places online at the moment

Perhaps put this in the ‘Cineworld filing for bankruptcy’ thread.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55105 on: August 26, 2022, 09:58:30 am »
DC League of Superpets was crap even my nephew fell asleep halfway through.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #55106 on: August 26, 2022, 10:51:58 am »
DC League of Superpets was crap even my nephew fell asleep halfway through.

Was thinking of seeing that with the missus - deffo not worth it?

Next up, likely to be watching these in the Cinemabobs

Fishermans Friends 2 (Probably the same story as the first one with different people, trying to be cagey in a dump of a coastal town)

Beast (Probably see on my own, missus doesn't want to)

Wrath of Khan (Directors Cut) and Jaws (Converted to IMAX 3d)

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55107 on: August 27, 2022, 12:08:11 am »
Half-Life is an obvious candidate for a film. A HBO TV show would be far better choice, though. My only stipulation - and it's a vital one - is that it's given to someone who actually knows how to make a good science fiction script and can direct. Alex Garland, maybe? He'd be fine for it. Otherwise I hope they never touch it.

As an aside to this, I'm currently reading The Mist. It's really difficult to see any kind of correlation (apart from the obvious framework) between it and HL, but it's what HL was based on. The film is a perfect adaptation of the book too.

never read The Mist but thought the film was great and for the life of me cannot connect any of the dots to half-life, wasn't aware there was a connection and it's not one i dont think anyone would make unless told that was the case

mindblown on that one

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #55108 on: August 27, 2022, 09:59:33 am »
never read The Mist but thought the film was great and for the life of me cannot connect any of the dots to half-life, wasn't aware there was a connection and it's not one i dont think anyone would make unless told that was the case

mindblown on that one

The mist was about Lovecraftian monsters I think.

Half Life was about Scientists dicking about with teleportation and a planet called Xen

So yeah. Totally different. Unless the mist involved scientists dicking about with stuff? I have read it and watched the film and can't remember that being mentioned or even hinted at?

EDIT: Just read this on Wiki, so guess I forgot about this, but to be fair, read the book years and years ago;

I guess the link with Half Life is this (From Wiki):  The source of this mist is never determined, but there are indications that it was caused by the storm disrupting experiments being conducted at a nearby U.S. military installation under the rumored name "Project Arrowhead".

And also this from Wiki:

The developers of the Half-Life video game series, which also deals with creatures from parallel dimensions breaking through to ours, have listed The Mist among their primary influences for the game plot.[4] The first game in the series was originally going to be called Quiver, as a reference to the Arrowhead Project from The Mist.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 10:02:22 am by Andy @ Allerton! »

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55109 on: August 27, 2022, 09:20:17 pm »
Sing 2 - enjoyable enough family movie.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55110 on: August 28, 2022, 09:12:21 pm »
The mist was about Lovecraftian monsters I think.

Half Life was about Scientists dicking about with teleportation and a planet called Xen

So yeah. Totally different. Unless the mist involved scientists dicking about with stuff? I have read it and watched the film and can't remember that being mentioned or even hinted at?

EDIT: Just read this on Wiki, so guess I forgot about this, but to be fair, read the book years and years ago;

I guess the link with Half Life is this (From Wiki):  The source of this mist is never determined, but there are indications that it was caused by the storm disrupting experiments being conducted at a nearby U.S. military installation under the rumored name "Project Arrowhead".

And also this from Wiki:

The developers of the Half-Life video game series, which also deals with creatures from parallel dimensions breaking through to ours, have listed The Mist among their primary influences for the game plot.[4] The first game in the series was originally going to be called Quiver, as a reference to the Arrowhead Project from The Mist.

off the top of my head i do recall there was some installation that went pear shaped and opened some kind of portal iirc in mist - so i guess there's that, still, it's not like that's new but fair enough, they made it and if that's their inspiration, is what it is

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55111 on: August 29, 2022, 12:20:09 am »
In the book, it's only sort of insinuated or hypothesized by a character. The film made some changes that made it less vague by adding another one of the soldiers in the market and keeping him alive for the purpose of dumping some exposition and making it more clear to what actually happened with the Arrowhead Project.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #55112 on: August 29, 2022, 09:39:54 am »
Saw Samaritan

Decent enough, but just seemed to me like A super hero/Old Rambo/Old Judge Dredd/Stallone-generic bod

Spoiler
Nice twist though - enjoyed that bit

Saved the film really

[close]

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55113 on: August 29, 2022, 08:08:03 pm »
Bullet Train was shite. B&M Bargains Guy Richey/Tarantino script. Brad Pitt trying to act and sound like he's 20 something. WTF!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #55114 on: August 29, 2022, 08:30:49 pm »
Bullet Train was shite. B&M Bargains Guy Richey/Tarantino script. Brad Pitt trying to act and sound like he's 20 something. WTF!

Me and Mrs. Allerton thought it was great.

Pretty stupid script, but loads of action and irreverent madness.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55115 on: August 29, 2022, 11:07:48 pm »
Me and Mrs. Allerton thought it was great.

Pretty stupid script, but loads of action and irreverent madness.

Some bits were sort of OK (if you managed to make it to the end). There could have been a good film there with a better writer, director and editor (not asking much there, I know), but almost everything about it fell flat to me.  The incessantly shite need for shite humor in every single scene that had dialogue in it drove me nuts. Especially between discount English Begbie and the other fella.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #55116 on: August 29, 2022, 11:34:14 pm »
Some bits were sort of OK (if you managed to make it to the end). There could have been a good film there with a better writer, director and editor (not asking much there, I know), but almost everything about it fell flat to me.  The incessantly shite need for shite humor in every single scene that had dialogue in it drove me nuts. Especially between discount English Begbie and the other fella.

Where did you watch it though? We watched it on the ScreenX so was really immersive

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #55117 on: August 31, 2022, 05:50:46 pm »
So many things to say...

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/W3E74j_xFtg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/W3E74j_xFtg</a>

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55118 on: September 2, 2022, 04:19:57 pm »
Everything Everywhere All At Once is on Prime from today.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55119 on: September 2, 2022, 04:43:40 pm »
Everything Everywhere All At Once is on Prime from today.

Great gonna watch it tonight. Been meaning to for a while.