Author Topic: Trains from London - any general tips, please?  (Read 58450 times)

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
Re: Trains from London - any general tips, please?
« Reply #120 on: July 20, 2021, 12:53:01 pm »
So Avanti seem to have hiked their advanced fares by 40-50%...

Yep and their website doesn’t seem to allow advance bookings for weekends. They’ve done literally nothing good since taking over from Virgin apart from painting the trains a different colour.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #121 on: July 20, 2021, 12:56:46 pm »
Yep and their website doesn’t seem to allow advance bookings for weekends. They’ve done literally nothing good since taking over from Virgin apart from painting the trains a different colour.

Advanced bookings were released for the Burnley game today. Around £55-60 with railcards. Absolutely ridiculous.

Offline benitezexpletives

• Anny Roader
« Reply #122 on: July 20, 2021, 01:52:08 pm »
Advanced bookings were released for the Burnley game today. Around £55-60 with railcards. Absolutely ridiculous.
that's crazy. Used to be £12 advance fares when I used to travel up for most home games during the 13/14 season and that was without any railcard. What's the going price of the equivalent return journey likely to be this season?

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: July 20, 2021, 04:05:54 pm »

Seems to be across the board with trains. Think they have seen a chance to increase fares due to lower numbers.

I have been looking at Liverpool>Norwich overnight return and it is £120. I have done euro aways cheaper, including flight, match ticket and hotel. Gonna end up driving.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #124 on: July 20, 2021, 04:32:31 pm »
Seems to be across the board with trains. Think they have seen a chance to increase fares due to lower numbers.

I have been looking at Liverpool>Norwich overnight return and it is £120. I have done euro aways cheaper, including flight, match ticket and hotel. Gonna end up driving.

Think we'll end up driving a lot more than we used now as well mate. Absolute ball ache

Offline LONGWORTH

• Kopite
« Reply #125 on: July 25, 2021, 04:57:57 pm »
Used to be a regular on the Virgins but Avanti have gone mad with their fare hikes. Will have second thoughts in future

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: July 25, 2021, 06:24:25 pm »
Not sure it's gonna do anything but I thought I'd try email the club because it's a completely ridiculous price hike, although doubt they really have any clout on these things. I did have a conversation with someone in the London office who said they had previously tried to ask Virgin for special football rates but it never got anywhere.

in times we should be using the most environmental friendly options, it now makes more sense for someone to drive solo from London than to pay Avanti's fares.
YNWA.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #127 on: July 25, 2021, 06:30:41 pm »
I think I was a bit premature with my criticisms, me and my group managed to get returns for the Palace match for £34 the other day. The fares are out there, think you just have to be quick as they put them up at random times.

Offline Mr Grieves

• at losing other mr, ending years of Broken Wings encores.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #128 on: July 26, 2021, 08:14:08 am »
I think I was a bit premature with my criticisms, me and my group managed to get returns for the Palace match for £34 the other day. The fares are out there, think you just have to be quick as they put them up at random times.
[/quote

Was that by a chance viewing of there site or was it from an email alert? Ta
Put the ball in the goddamn basket chief

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #129 on: July 26, 2021, 10:16:00 am »
[/quote

Was that by a chance viewing of there site or was it from an email alert? Ta

A mate sorts it all out for us. We get email alerts and managed to book for approx £45 after the alert, the next day another mate sent a message saying cheaper fares were available and as we were within 24 hours of booking our initial fares we were able to cancel and get the cheaper ones.

Offline lfc79

• Kopite
« Reply #130 on: July 26, 2021, 03:22:49 pm »
"I think I was a bit premature with my criticisms, me and my group managed to get returns for the Palace match for £34 the other day. The fares are out there, think you just have to be quick as they put them up at random times"

Was that on the avanti trains? looking on the website now for the 18th September is only showing the regular off peak fares, £95 for a return!

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #131 on: July 26, 2021, 03:25:22 pm »
"I think I was a bit premature with my criticisms, me and my group managed to get returns for the Palace match for £34 the other day. The fares are out there, think you just have to be quick as they put them up at random times"

Was that on the avanti trains? looking on the website now for the 18th September is only showing the regular off peak fares, £95 for a return!

Yep, they were advanced fares with two together railcards

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #132 on: July 26, 2021, 04:07:06 pm »
Should try London Northwestern railway, they operate the slow trains out of Euston, but you have to change at Stafford/Crewe & can take an extra hour plus, compared with the Avanti service, but you can get cheap deals with them.
#Sausages

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: July 26, 2021, 04:55:41 pm »
Should try London Northwestern railway, they operate the slow trains out of Euston, but you have to change at Stafford/Crewe & can take an extra hour plus, compared with the Avanti service, but you can get cheap deals with them.

it just seems unfeasible to be doing more than a handful of games on those long trains imo. I did quite a few the other season and it was painfully long. for me I'll only do them if I have no other option.
YNWA.

Offline benitezexpletives

• Anny Roader
« Reply #134 on: August 5, 2021, 02:15:29 pm »
do the prices tend to fluctuate then? Best i can see for the Palace game currently is £94.50 return (without railcard)

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #135 on: August 5, 2021, 02:16:15 pm »
do the prices tend to fluctuate then? Best i can see for the Palace game currently is £94.50 return (without railcard)

Got to get on the advanced fares early enough to get the cheaper tickets

Offline lfc79

• Kopite
« Reply #136 on: August 6, 2021, 04:33:56 pm »
Checked with Avanti and advance tickets have sold out so the only option is the £94.50 return, is a scandal that they are allowed to charge that much, travelling via Birmingham can be cheaper some times as there is more competition on the routes.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #137 on: August 6, 2021, 04:41:01 pm »
Checked with Avanti and advance tickets have sold out so the only option is the £94.50 return, is a scandal that they are allowed to charge that much, travelling via Birmingham can be cheaper some times as there is more competition on the routes.

That can't true as you can't even buy trains for the City match on their website yet...

Offline lfc79

• Kopite
« Reply #138 on: August 6, 2021, 05:18:04 pm »
Sorry I meant for the palace game on the 18th

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #139 on: August 6, 2021, 05:19:33 pm »
Sorry I meant for the palace game on the 18th

Oh yeah advanced trains for the Palace game went on sales weeks ago

Offline so kop end lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: August 9, 2021, 05:54:08 pm »
For those looking to go up on the 28th of August for the Chelsea game the timetables should be released tomorrow morning.

I work for a TOC and it’s rumoured that there will be replacement busses between Euston and MK 😕 but don’t quote me on that.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #141 on: August 9, 2021, 05:59:10 pm »
For those looking to go up on the 28th of August for the Chelsea game the timetables should be released tomorrow morning.

I work for a TOC and it’s rumoured that there will be replacement busses between Euston and MK 😕 but don’t quote me on that.

Will there be advanced fares on it?

Offline jonesygeez

• Main Stander
« Reply #142 on: August 9, 2021, 06:57:42 pm »

Any idea what time they go on sale?

Offline Levitz

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #143 on: August 10, 2021, 11:58:30 am »
Any idea what time they go on sale?

BH weekend on sale now
Liverpool ist Rad!

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #144 on: August 10, 2021, 12:10:13 pm »

BH weekend on sale now

Still said the timetable hasn't been finalised

Either way if you were planning on travelling up and down on the day of the game from London I'd be very surprised if there were trains after the match

Offline Levitz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: August 10, 2021, 12:18:42 pm »
Still said the timetable hasn't been finalised

Either way if you were planning on travelling up and down on the day of the game from London I'd be very surprised if there were trains after the match

i had the email and have looked at the trains, they are there, I had to refresh from a previous search though. There is a 20.04 London Northwestern/Midland that gets in 00.40, you'd have to get out of the ground pretty sharpish though.

Might they put on an extra train, they always seem to for Spurs but never tell you about it.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 12:20:16 pm by Levitz »
Liverpool ist Rad!

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #146 on: August 10, 2021, 12:20:16 pm »
i had the email and have looked at the trains, they are there, I had to refresh from a previous search though. There is a 20.04 London Northwestern/Midland that gets in 00.40, you'd have to get out of the ground pretty sharpish though.

You'd probably have to miss the last 10 minutes of the game to get a taxi back to town for that and even then you'll really struggle for the last tubes with night tube not returning yet.

When I did a search though there was a big pop up saying "The timetable hasn't been finalised yet"

Offline Levitz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: August 10, 2021, 12:22:27 pm »
You'd probably have to miss the last 10 minutes of the game to get a taxi back to town for that and even then you'll really struggle for the last tubes with night tube not returning yet.

I've made that one before I think, but normally walk/jog back from ground and then get night bus home (no night tube to where I live in normal times anyway). But not ideal. I'm not doing Chelsea though just trying to help....
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 12:26:37 pm by Levitz »
Liverpool ist Rad!

Offline Levitz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: August 10, 2021, 12:24:14 pm »

When I did a search though there was a big pop up saying "The timetable hasn't been finalised yet"

No idea, I'm literally looking at the tickets......
Liverpool ist Rad!

Offline lfc79

• Kopite
« Reply #149 on: August 10, 2021, 03:01:27 pm »
It is insane that they keep scheduling London teams to pay 5.30 on Saturday when there are no train's back that evening. Though you could argue that 6 weeks notice is enough for the train companies to schedule 4-5 trains to run from 8.30pm

Offline Levitz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: August 10, 2021, 03:09:28 pm »
It is insane that they keep scheduling London teams to pay 5.30 on Saturday when there are no train's back that evening. Though you could argue that 6 weeks notice is enough for the train companies to schedule 4-5 trains to run from 8.30pm

Nothing to do with football, it's insane that the last direct train from Liverpool to London on a Saturday leaves before 8pm for a 2 1/2 hour journey
Liverpool ist Rad!

Offline jonesygeez

• Main Stander
« Reply #151 on: August 10, 2021, 05:02:35 pm »
thx got sorted but then we are staying up with mates in Huyton, cant be assed with running for trains, aint been to a game since madrid in 2020 buzzzzzzzzzzzzin!

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: August 11, 2021, 02:05:50 pm »

The ticket booking page on the Avanti website has disappeared. It’s been gone all morning. Anyone know why? Possible ticket release?

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #153 on: August 11, 2021, 02:47:35 pm »
The ticket booking page on the Avanti website has disappeared. It’s been gone all morning. Anyone know why? Possible ticket release?

The app is working, you tried that?

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: August 12, 2021, 02:37:45 pm »

Ta. I just find it very odd that you can’t book tickets on a train company’s ticket site. One of the unexpected benefits of privatisation I guess.

Offline so kop end lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: August 12, 2021, 04:09:44 pm »
Will there be advanced fares on it?

Sorry I missed your message.

Did you sort train tickets for Burnley?

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #156 on: August 12, 2021, 04:10:27 pm »
Sorry I missed your message.

Did you sort train tickets for Burnley?

No, I'll be driving for it

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: August 17, 2021, 07:31:35 pm »
If you have AMEX there's cashback on Avanti until end of September. If it doesn't appear for you and you're a relatively decent customer call them and they sometimes can add offers to your account if you ask nicely.
YNWA.

Offline Van_Pur

• Main Stander
« Reply #158 on: August 19, 2021, 01:50:13 pm »
Anyone knows why there are no trains listed for Sundays (London to Liverpool) from 26.09.?
I know it's said that timetables not confirmed yet - but why?
Do they put it randomly or are they do it on specyfic day for each Sunday?

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: August 19, 2021, 01:54:00 pm »
Anyone knows why there are no trains listed for Sundays (London to Liverpool) from 26.09.?
I know it's said that timetables not confirmed yet - but why?
Do they put it randomly or are they do it on specyfic day for each Sunday?

they seem to be releasing tickets a bit later recently but I just briefly checked TrainPal (a third party app) and it seems to show me times.

you can put on notifications for advance fares https://www.avantiwestcoast.co.uk/tickets-and-savings/ways-to-save/advance-ticket-alerts
YNWA.