Author Topic: Hannibal (TV Series)  (Read 44360 times)

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Hannibal (TV Series)
« Reply #160 on: December 1, 2013, 05:35:49 pm »
Been marathoning this all weekend after getting it on now TV, head is well and truly wrecked.  Watched a few episodes of American horror story beforehand too.

It's alright, not for everyone though

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #161 on: January 31, 2014, 12:22:55 am »
Season two is out soon, just saw this poster:

« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 01:32:24 am by elbow »
We are Liverpool!

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #162 on: January 31, 2014, 12:30:53 pm »
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Dan Dando

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #163 on: January 31, 2014, 04:36:39 pm »
http://youtu.be/XVhl6WgMTGw

Surprised no one has posted this - the trailer for Hannibal: Season Two  :)

Beware, it's an extremely spoilery (but great) trailer.
"I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is." - Kurt Vonnegut

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #164 on: February 2, 2014, 01:15:31 am »
Looks great, really enjoyed the first season, though not sure if they can push past a second showing. Going out with a bang on the second series will do me. I still feel dirty after Dexter...
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline Dan Dando

• Anny Roader
« Reply #165 on: February 2, 2014, 01:18:29 am »
Looks great, really enjoyed the first season, though not sure if they can push past a second showing. Going out with a bang on the second series will do me. I still feel dirty after Dexter...
Have faith in Bryan Fuller  :)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s225/hannibal/news/a491414/hannibal-bryan-fuller-on-future-silence-of-the-lambs-is-season-five.html

Also, Jimmy Darmody's been cast as Mason Verger (the character Gary Oldman played in Hannibal, the film)  8)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s225/hannibal/news/a548197/hannibal-boardwalk-empires-michael-pitt-to-play-villain-mason-verger.html
« Last Edit: February 2, 2014, 01:20:44 am by Dan Dando »
"I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is." - Kurt Vonnegut

Offline brownie 09

• Long-winded.....but never mind :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • twitter - brownie09RAWK
« Reply #166 on: February 2, 2014, 01:30:11 am »
Love the version of stand by me in the trailer.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #167 on: February 2, 2014, 11:35:17 am »
Michael Pitt from Boardwalk Empire will be in the new season. Don't know if it will be a guest appearance or a season character but good news anyway.

Offline Dan Dando

• Anny Roader
« Reply #168 on: February 2, 2014, 02:30:46 pm »
Michael Pitt from Boardwalk Empire will be in the new season. Don't know if it will be a guest appearance or a season character but good news anyway.
He's playing quite a big role, that of Mason Verger (Gary Oldman played him in Hannibal, the film)

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #169 on: February 2, 2014, 06:16:39 pm »
He's playing quite a big role, that of Mason Verger (Gary Oldman played him in Hannibal, the film)
He's in for quite a torrid time then.[img width= height=]http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/devilgrin.gif[/img]
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Dingle Red

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in the red and white kop
« Reply #170 on: February 2, 2014, 07:55:06 pm »
Can't wait for the second season of this, one of the best shows around, Mads Mikkleson is fucking Brilliant.

Online Walk On

• Legacy Fan
  • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart ...
« Reply #171 on: February 3, 2014, 04:33:06 pm »
Can't wait for the second season of this, one of the best shows around, Mads Mikkleson is fucking Brilliant.

Ditto!  It's going to be tastey
:)
- Rebuilding the Bastion

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: February 3, 2014, 06:28:42 pm »
Excited for this. Still extremely worried it'll get cancelled though, ratings aren't great and I have no idea why
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #173 on: February 3, 2014, 06:30:04 pm »
Excited for this. Still extremely worried it'll get cancelled though, ratings aren't great and I have no idea why

Cause it's an intellectual program in the US?

Offline Dan Dando

• Anny Roader
« Reply #174 on: February 3, 2014, 07:52:22 pm »
I wouldn't worry too much about that. Hannibal is a different animal to most television shows as it's produced under a different model at a license fee that is a fraction of what dramas with similar production values cost. It's a multi-national show owned by a company called Gaumont International Television. NBC can't cancel it as such, they can only stop showing it... so if NBC did decide to part ways with Gaumont it's very likely that Hannibal would end up on a different network without skipping a beat. In fact, when it looked like NBC might not renew it for a second season Amazon and Netflix were very interested in taking it on. So, yeah, thankfully... low ratings on NBC can't and won't kill the show because it's such a cost-efficient and multi-national production.
« Last Edit: February 3, 2014, 07:59:46 pm by Dan Dando »

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: February 3, 2014, 09:38:51 pm »
I wouldn't worry too much about that. Hannibal is a different animal to most television shows as it's produced under a different model at a license fee that is a fraction of what dramas with similar production values cost. It's a multi-national show owned by a company called Gaumont International Television. NBC can't cancel it as such, they can only stop showing it... so if NBC did decide to part ways with Gaumont it's very likely that Hannibal would end up on a different network without skipping a beat. In fact, when it looked like NBC might not renew it for a second season Amazon and Netflix were very interested in taking it on. So, yeah, thankfully... low ratings on NBC can't and won't kill the show because it's such a cost-efficient and multi-national production.

Did not know that, that's great news :)

Would love to see it on Netflix
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline JJ Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: February 4, 2014, 08:37:34 am »
Just got into this last week and have already watched all of season 1 via On Demand. Really enjoyed it but i do think they may have gone too quickly with the storyline. I would have preferred to see a bit more build up to the big reveal when Will finally works it out.

Of course the posts above regarding NBC not being sure about season 2 may have influenced this. Cannot believe some of the shit that seems to get renewed without a whisper and yet a quality show like this appears to have a uncertain future.

I read on Wiki that the creator sees it as a 7 season run with the first 3 seasons covering the first book. Looking at the trailer above i just wonder if the writers are pressing fast forward a little bit.

Offline Dan Dando

• Anny Roader
« Reply #177 on: February 5, 2014, 11:00:36 pm »
Just got into this last week and have already watched all of season 1 via On Demand. Really enjoyed it but i do think they may have gone too quickly with the storyline. I would have preferred to see a bit more build up to the big reveal when Will finally works it out.

Of course the posts above regarding NBC not being sure about season 2 may have influenced this. Cannot believe some of the shit that seems to get renewed without a whisper and yet a quality show like this appears to have a uncertain future.

I read on Wiki that the creator sees it as a 7 season run with the first 3 seasons covering the first book. Looking at the trailer above i just wonder if the writers are pressing fast forward a little bit.

I understand your concerns but I think the way Bryan Fuller has handled things so far has been pretty good.
Spoiler
Will finding out at the end of season one... works.
[close]
- If the show had gone into it's second season without that reveal then I think the show would have bemused and possibly alienated some viewers.

When you mention the trailer above I can only assume you're referring to the scene teased where
Spoiler
Hannibal tries to kill Crawford.
[close]
Well, season two is actually going to start with that scene and then after that opening scene it'll be revealed as a flash-forward - so then the season will lead up to that.

I remember Bryan Fuller mentioned once that his plan for season three was
Spoiler
to have Hannibal on the run, he's been found out by everyone now at the FBI, not just Will. At the end of season three Hannibal would be captured, imprisoned and then season four would see the introduction of Francis Dolarhyde. Season five and onwards would then be Silence of the Lambs/Hannibal book territory, if Fuller's able to secure the rights to characters like Clarice Starling and Buffalo Bill.
[close]

So you don't have to worry. All seems to be going according to the plan that Fuller spoke a lot about last year. And, like I said a couple of posts up, this show doesn't have the uncertain future that some people think it has. Sure, it's got an uncertain future on NBC - but there will be plenty of takers waiting in the wings if NBC don't renew it for a season three.
« Last Edit: February 5, 2014, 11:02:11 pm by Dan Dando »

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #178 on: February 5, 2014, 11:31:02 pm »
I understand your concerns but I think the way Bryan Fuller has handled things so far has been pretty good.
Spoiler
Will finding out at the end of season one... works.
[close]
- If the show had gone into it's second season without that reveal then I think the show would have bemused and possibly alienated some viewers.

When you mention the trailer above I can only assume you're referring to the scene teased where
Spoiler
Hannibal tries to kill Crawford.
[close]
Well, season two is actually going to start with that scene and then after that opening scene it'll be revealed as a flash-forward - so then the season will lead up to that.

I remember Bryan Fuller mentioned once that his plan for season three was
Spoiler
to have Hannibal on the run, he's been found out by everyone now at the FBI, not just Will. At the end of season three Hannibal would be captured, imprisoned and then season four would see the introduction of Francis Dolarhyde. Season five and onwards would then be Silence of the Lambs/Hannibal book territory, if Fuller's able to secure the rights to characters like Clarice Starling and Buffalo Bill.
[close]

So you don't have to worry. All seems to be going according to the plan that Fuller spoke a lot about last year. And, like I said a couple of posts up, this show doesn't have the uncertain future that some people think it has. Sure, it's got an uncertain future on NBC - but there will be plenty of takers waiting in the wings if NBC don't renew it for a season three.

Nice summation mate. I must admit, I was pleasantly surprised to see this back on. Hopefully the story arc that Fuller alludes to will get the chance to be realised.
We are Liverpool!

Offline JJ Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: February 6, 2014, 08:08:23 am »

Thanks for your info mate.

Whatever happens, or what the plan is, i love the show.

Offline Dan Dando

• Anny Roader
« Reply #180 on: February 6, 2014, 06:56:54 pm »
No problem, guys. Happy to be of use  :)

Here's another trailer if you fancy a gander. Once again though, beware, spoilers and that.

http://youtu.be/FtDb89c7rWA (P.S. - How do you embed things? I'm useless)

Online Walk On

• Legacy Fan
  • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart ...
« Reply #181 on: February 14, 2014, 09:44:35 am »
No problem, guys. Happy to be of use  :)

Here's another trailer if you fancy a gander. Once again though, beware, spoilers and that.

http://youtu.be/FtDb89c7rWA (P.S. - How do you embed things? I'm useless)

This looks great. 
Besides the storyline, the cinematography is just brilliant.
- Rebuilding the Bastion

Offline Dan Dando

• Anny Roader
« Reply #182 on: February 14, 2014, 07:07:27 pm »

Offline Dan Dando

• Anny Roader
« Reply #183 on: February 22, 2014, 04:38:48 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Wtmw5b0Qgzo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Wtmw5b0Qgzo</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/oUrfslPeQ8w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/oUrfslPeQ8w</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/K5fsN6lVntw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/K5fsN6lVntw</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/KtofvjXDmlk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/KtofvjXDmlk</a>

Here are four brief but intriguing clips from the season two premiere, titled... 'Kaiseki'

Spoilers ahoy, naturally.

Spoiler
I'm fascinated by the fourth one - seeing Hannibal be the new Will Graham when it comes to crime scenes/hunting other killers... is going to be really interesting.
[close]
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 04:50:39 am by Dan Dando »

Offline Dan Dando

• Anny Roader
« Reply #184 on: February 28, 2014, 11:03:46 am »
Trying my hardest to keep this thread alive  :D - although I assume it'll pick up a bit more since season two starts tonight over in the US. Here's an incredibly positive review.

http://www.avclub.com/review/hannibal-seems-intent-becoming-tvs-best-show-201631

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #185 on: February 28, 2014, 11:09:42 am »
No date for the UK yet?

Offline Dan Dando

• Anny Roader
« Reply #186 on: February 28, 2014, 11:15:19 am »
No date for the UK yet?
Not yet. Season 1 aired at the beginning of May last year though.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #187 on: February 28, 2014, 01:22:38 pm »
Lets hope it's better than last season and concentrates on the real dynamic and not stupid set piece murders like last season.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Dan Dando

• Anny Roader
« Reply #188 on: February 28, 2014, 02:14:47 pm »
Lets hope it's better than last season and concentrates on the real dynamic and not stupid set piece murders like last season.
I don't think they were stupid to be honest. I thought most of them resembled works of art at times, like extravagant paintings, or something. They were often baroque and over the top but I think they were pretty beautiful really. I can see why they went down that path too as the show right now is currently pre-incarcerated Lecter, pre-Dolarhyde - so there had to be crimes for Will and the FBI to solve and... so if there has to be murders... why not make them almost slightly fantastical instead of just having dull and miserable crime scenes.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #189 on: February 28, 2014, 02:31:38 pm »
I don't think they were stupid to be honest. I thought most of them resembled works of art at times, like extravagant paintings, or something. They were often baroque and over the top but I think they were pretty beautiful really. I can see why they went down that path too as the show right now is currently pre-incarcerated Lecter, pre-Dolarhyde - so there had to be crimes for Will and the FBI to solve and... so if there has to be murders... why not make them almost slightly fantastical instead of just having dull and miserable crime scenes.
Like the corpse totem pole erected by an oap...smashing film making.

It was stupid and insulting as I posted earlier in the thread.Just because the storyline is at this point doesn't mean it has to over the top...there's already a great story to be told but as it's mainstream American tv it won't be as dark as it should be and that'll be it's downfall.

It's not as stupid as The Following and it's not as clever as people think it is.It only became interesting at the end of the season..hopefully they remain true to the similarities and parallels of Graham and Lektor as was seen in Manhunter

Do that and it'll be a lot better,don't and well.....

Offline Dan Dando

• Anny Roader
« Reply #190 on: March 1, 2014, 04:47:52 pm »
It was stupid and insulting
Oh, well, agree to disagree and... whatnot.

Season 2 premiere was terrific  :)

Offline Il Capitano

• Forza Liverpool. This thing of ours...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: March 1, 2014, 10:00:14 pm »
It only became interesting at the end of the season..

No it didn't. We got to experience the slow unravelling of Graham's mental stability as the series progressed, as conversely the darker side of Lecter became increasingly visible.

Spoiler
I found the entire season to be brilliantly dark, with some terrifying moments at times - seeing Mads Mikkelsen dressed up American Psycho-style suit-raincoat wearing an utterly icy expression, during the girl-under-the-bed episode, has to be up there as one of the most genuinely fear-inducing sights I've ever seen in television.
[close]

But if you wanted bland serial-killer crimescene shit, I'm sure there's lots of generic cop shows that'll peak your interest...

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #192 on: March 2, 2014, 03:00:02 am »
"I'm not the psychopath you're looking for"
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #193 on: March 2, 2014, 10:13:07 am »
No it didn't. We got to experience the slow unravelling of Graham's mental stability as the series progressed, as conversely the darker side of Lecter became increasingly visible.

Spoiler
I found the entire season to be brilliantly dark, with some terrifying moments at times - seeing Mads Mikkelsen dressed up American Psycho-style suit-raincoat wearing an utterly icy expression, during the girl-under-the-bed episode, has to be up there as one of the most genuinely fear-inducing sights I've ever seen in television.
[close]

But if you wanted bland serial-killer crimescene shit, I'm sure there's lots of generic cop shows that'll peak your interest...
My problem isn't with the dynamic between Lector and Graham it's with the staged murder's that add nothing to the story ...for me....if you're amused fine...I'm not.

I was underwhelmed by the side stories and found the posing of murders stupid.Sometimes less is more as Brian Cox showed in Manhunter...still the best and scariest portray of Lektor.

There's a scene in Manhunter where Graham visits Lektor to "rekindle his feelings",in the scene Graham ask's Lektor to look over the case he's working on and in doing so he appears to show deference to Lektor's greater understanding of the human psyche, in doing so the suggestion is that there's a kind of symbiosis at work.....Graham has to reach into a dark repressed part of his psyche to help solve the murders and can only do that by visiting Lektor.

That's what I'm interested in and is the reason I'm still watching...similarities and parallels of Graham and Lektor  the not all the extraneous fluff...as I said in my previous post....do you understand now?

As to the generic CSI  bit I'm insulted.

Offline Il Capitano

• Forza Liverpool. This thing of ours...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: March 2, 2014, 01:27:09 pm »
My problem isn't with the dynamic between Lector and Graham it's with the staged murder's that add nothing to the story ...for me....if you're amused fine...I'm not.

I was underwhelmed by the side stories and found the posing of murders stupid.Sometimes less is more as Brian Cox showed in Manhunter...still the best and scariest portray of Lektor.

There's a scene in Manhunter where Graham visits Lektor to "rekindle his feelings",in the scene Graham ask's Lektor to look over the case he's working on and in doing so he appears to show deference to Lektor's greater understanding of the human psyche, in doing so the suggestion is that there's a kind of symbiosis at work.....Graham has to reach into a dark repressed part of his psyche to help solve the murders and can only do that by visiting Lektor.

That's what I'm interested in and is the reason I'm still watching...similarities and parallels of Graham and Lektor  the not all the extraneous fluff...as I said in my previous post....do you understand now?

As to the generic CSI  bit I'm insulted.

Ah okay, fair enough mate, I apologise. I think part of the reason behind the set-piece murders is, of course, to give each episode some distinction and memorability - but also it has a visible impact on Graham to see such raw horror presented artistically. It indicates a real gruesomeness on the part of the killer, and to portray demonstrable mental distress from Graham, I guess the idea is to shock the viewer somewhat at the same time. It allows you to relate to Will - though obviously he has to deal with all stimulation in a much more vivid way, as an empath - and you find yourself empathising with his struggle, both mentally and with respect to his relationship with Lector. Conversely though, I often find myself drawn to Hannibal as a character - the performance of Mikkelsen gives him an incredibly impressive presence, and he's always been an absolutely fascinating villain.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #195 on: March 2, 2014, 01:49:26 pm »
Ah okay, fair enough mate, I apologise. I think part of the reason behind the set-piece murders is, of course, to give each episode some distinction and memorability - but also it has a visible impact on Graham to see such raw horror presented artistically. It indicates a real gruesomeness on the part of the killer, and to portray demonstrable mental distress from Graham, I guess the idea is to shock the viewer somewhat at the same time. It allows you to relate to Will - though obviously he has to deal with all stimulation in a much more vivid way, as an empath - and you find yourself empathising with his struggle, both mentally and with respect to his relationship with Lector. Conversely though, I often find myself drawn to Hannibal as a character - the performance of Mikkelsen gives him an incredibly impressive presence, and he's always been an absolutely fascinating villain.
I've just read my post and it comes across as pissy,it wasn't meant to be,nor was I serious about being insulted...should have smilied that line...no  need for an apology.

I really want this to be success but I think it's caught between being accessible to people viewing for first time and people who've read the book and think Mann's film is the best version of the story.Hopefully all the character development we've seen continues to grow as the story is now becoming more interesting.

Offline Dan Dando

• Anny Roader
« Reply #196 on: March 2, 2014, 02:14:18 pm »
Conversely though, I often find myself drawn to Hannibal as a character - the performance of Mikkelsen gives him an incredibly impressive presence, and he's always been an absolutely fascinating villain.
Mikkelsen is wonderful, isn't he? I find I'm unable to look away when he's on screen - he has such a gift for micro-expressions.

Offline Dingle Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: March 4, 2014, 08:13:56 pm »
Mikkelsen is wonderful, isn't he? I find I'm unable to look away when he's on screen - he has such a gift for micro-expressions.
He is Cool as fuck mate.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #198 on: March 5, 2014, 10:12:25 am »
His brother was the villain in Sherlock's last season and he was excellent as well. It's a family thing  :D

Offline Dingle Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: March 15, 2014, 01:53:31 am »
Just watched the 1st episode of season 2, this show is fucking Boss a lot better than some shows I've seen Wanked over in the last few years, just seems like no-one watches it.