Author Topic: Danny Ings  (Read 340666 times)

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
Re: Danny Ings
« Reply #1760 on: January 23, 2018, 11:45:01 pm »
Bit bizarre to see people writing off Danny Ings, I have to admit. He's only made a handful of appearances for us, I don't understand how judgement on his Liverpool career can be made at this point.

He's had 2 bad injuries, and that's unfortunate, but we're now in a position where he can FINALLY work with Klopp properly on a personal basis for the first time since Klopp became manager. Personally, I think he has the predatory instinct and workrate to be a decent squad player for us for the next few years, and that's before taking into account the ways in which Klopp might make him a better player.

Will be interesting to see how he's used between now and May. Personally, I think that his coming on last night ahead of Solanke is indicative of him moving up the pecking order ahead of Solanke between now and the near future. Dom will get his chances, but Ings as the more experienced and proven striker probably makes more sense.

Offline johnj147

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1761 on: January 24, 2018, 12:04:46 am »
Give Ings a chance.

He looked lively last night. Stays fit he could be a decent option.
yep give the guy a chance ffs .. been injured for 2 seasons

Offline joekim87

• Truly gone shark fishing.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #1762 on: January 24, 2018, 12:36:03 am »
Is he Coutinho's replacement? I kid... But, seems like a good lively option to bring on for the front three. Before his injuries, he was one of England's big up and comers right?

Offline smurfinaus

• Legacy Fan
  • Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to <insert location> we go :P
« Reply #1763 on: January 24, 2018, 02:16:42 am »
Guy comes on in the last 15 or so minutes, and has a shot on target first chance he gets. Not much of a sniff after - lack of service :/. Give him a run. He *is* a Klopp type player so i dont understand why people keep trying to move him on etc..:/

Offline WisconsinRed

• Special: but only in his very own.....special.....way!
  • Kopite
« Reply #1764 on: January 24, 2018, 09:26:47 am »
It is ok to not rate one of our players. The LFC gods aren't going to put a curse on you if you don't.

Anyway good luck to ings, he deserves as much luck as he can get. More than any player in a long time I'm hoping he can be a success for us.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1765 on: January 24, 2018, 09:32:54 am »
Guy comes on in the last 15 or so minutes, and has a shot on target first chance he gets. Not much of a sniff after - lack of service :/. Give him a run. He *is* a Klopp type player so i dont understand why people keep trying to move him on etc..:/

What makes him a Klopp type player?

Offline WisconsinRed

• Special: but only in his very own.....special.....way!
  • Kopite
« Reply #1766 on: January 24, 2018, 09:50:29 am »

A hard worker, intelligent, a burst of pace, desire, good close control, goals.

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1767 on: January 24, 2018, 09:51:27 am »

Brain and work-rate I would say. I think the reason Bobby is so vital to us, is the amount of work he puts in up the pitch - constant hassling, hassling, hassling....never giving defenders a break. I don't think we have many players who can come in and do that when Bobby isn't available, but I reckon Ings is a decent understudy - he would give us that - relentless work ethic.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #1768 on: January 29, 2018, 02:48:19 pm »
Brain and work-rate I would say. I think the reason Bobby is so vital to us, is the amount of work he puts in up the pitch - constant hassling, hassling, hassling....never giving defenders a break. I don't think we have many players who can come in and do that when Bobby isn't available, but I reckon Ings is a decent understudy - he would give us that - relentless work ethic.

Absolutely. I thought he was bright, lively and bustling when he came on. Bit unlucky in being given short passes and having one spin off his arse, but his work rate is phenomenal. There's one of him at Leicester in the League Cup earlier this season showing him harrying their defence in his limited time on the field:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vFCt4_0rH9I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vFCt4_0rH9I</a>

Here's his game Saturday:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/gNI6hPOjsSo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/gNI6hPOjsSo</a>

And his best performance of the season so far vs an admittedly shite Bristol City U23 ... but look how he brings others into the game ...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9ZgQ8SxzPhA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9ZgQ8SxzPhA</a>

Give him a run, he'll score and enable others to score, take a bit of the weight off Bobby. Just pray to whoever the Patron Saint of knee injuries is that he gets the chance ...  8)

Offline Vortigen

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1769 on: January 29, 2018, 03:52:58 pm »
Every time I watch him play, I immediately notice how unlucky he is.  If he's not getting a season ending injury, he's missing the target by an inch or is being kept out by a ridiculous save.  The fella's cursed. 

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #1770 on: January 29, 2018, 04:20:45 pm »
He's a smart player, has some really nice touches and layoffs in games but his scoring record just doesn't hold up.  I'd love for him to start banging them in because he's the sort of player every fan loves at their club.  Just can't see it, those knee injuries have really knocked him back.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #1771 on: January 29, 2018, 04:31:13 pm »
You'd think if Klopp had much faith in him he'd start more or come one more when things are actually going well on the field. Most of his appearances seem to be desperation subs?

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1772 on: January 29, 2018, 05:00:10 pm »
He's a smart player, has some really nice touches and layoffs in games but his scoring record just doesn't hold up.  I'd love for him to start banging them in because he's the sort of player every fan loves at their club.  Just can't see it, those knee injuries have really knocked him back.

3 in 9 before the first injury here.

Offline JG6

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1773 on: January 29, 2018, 05:06:17 pm »
I like him, he doesn’t stop moving and running and I think when he gets his first couple of goals he’ll start looking a bit more confident in front of goal. He’s a good option, just needs more minutes and those first goals.

Online Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1774 on: January 29, 2018, 05:17:33 pm »
He's very likeable and I've always wanted him to succeed here. Before his injuries he looked quite promising. My problem is that we are putting ourselves in to a position in which we will be relying on him when we have top 4 and CL to player for, which is an unnecessary risk to take considering his lack of playing time on the back of two big injuries. Ideally, we kept our players, and got Ings up to speed in the LC and FA cup, unfortunately we decided that we weren't arsed about then and went out in both straight away. I'll support him, but no doubt this it's risky.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1775 on: January 29, 2018, 05:25:56 pm »
Wonder if Klopp would be tempted to try a Mané - Ings - Salah front line, with Bobby in midfield while we got no Lallana?

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #1776 on: January 29, 2018, 06:01:03 pm »
Oh good the Ings hot takes are el feugo ... time to join the party...

...Great attitude and work rate  .. an asset to any top of the championship or bottom third in the PL club in the right system
Hope he does well whereever he goes on loan this window

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1777 on: January 29, 2018, 06:10:04 pm »
He's very likeable and I've always wanted him to succeed here. Before his injuries he looked quite promising. My problem is that we are putting ourselves in to a position in which we will be relying on him when we have top 4 and CL to player for, which is an unnecessary risk to take considering his lack of playing time on the back of two big injuries. Ideally, we kept our players, and got Ings up to speed in the LC and FA cup, unfortunately we decided that we weren't arsed about then and went out in both straight away. I'll support him, but no doubt this it's risky.

I am quite happy to see him get a genuine chance, I have few doubts that should he get a run in the side he will do fine. Also unless you give players like Ings a proper go how do you know how good they can be? We have such a strange attitude, everything seems to start with an if, a but, (don't mean you personally Clint but generally)sometimes you have to take a risk, sometimes you have to try things, give players opportunities. I'm really looking forward to see him come on, like others he has a great opportunity to impress or in the case of a lot of our fans surprise.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1778 on: January 29, 2018, 06:25:54 pm »
I am quite happy to see him get a genuine chance, I have few doubts that should he get a run in the side he will do fine. Also unless you give players like Ings a proper go how do you know how good they can be? We have such a strange attitude, everything seems to start with an if, a but, (don't mean you personally Clint but generally)sometimes you have to take a risk, sometimes you have to try things, give players opportunities. I'm really looking forward to see him come on, like others he has a great opportunity to impress or in the case of a lot of our fans surprise.

It's strange how many are crying out for youngsters like Woodburn and Wilson who have shone for the U23 to get a game but not a more experienced player who has also shone for the U23.

I'd put Firmino in one of the midfield roles, he's energetic skilful and can see a pass and play Ings in his forward role. If this is the squad we have for the rest of the season we have to be imaginative and try things.

Anything to avoid the drab performances of the last two games and the consequent meltdown on here.

I feel sorry for the mods.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #1779 on: January 29, 2018, 06:29:06 pm »
Oh good the Ings hot takes are el feugo ... time to join the party...

...Great attitude and work rate  .. an asset to any top of the championship or bottom third in the PL club in the right system
Hope he does well whereever he goes on loan this window

I think it’s pretty evident he’s not going out on loan. Why the sarcasm?
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #1780 on: January 29, 2018, 06:32:11 pm »
I'd be amazed if Jurgen starts him.

He's a one in three striker.

i expect Firminio will start 90% of the remaining games and if we're desperate for a goal, he'll be thrown on.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1781 on: January 29, 2018, 06:32:54 pm »
It's strange how many are crying out for youngsters like Woodburn and Wilson who have shone for the U23 to get a game but not a more experienced player who has also shone for the U23.

I'd put Firmino in one of the midfield roles, he's energetic skilful and can see a pass and play Ings in his forward role. If this is the squad we have for the rest of the season we have to be imaginative and try things.

Anything to avoid the drab performances of the last two games and the consequent meltdown on here.

Exactly, sometimes you need to try different things, infact Klopp hinted at it today with formations. I wouldn't be surprised if we see him playing 442 again, or at least varying our tactics a bit more. Especially in the games where we have problems, like against the smaller teams who defend deep, its worked in other games so why not? I loved watching Ings with the u23's he is such an honest player, tries for every minute he's on, and he's a lot more skilful then people think.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1782 on: January 29, 2018, 06:35:31 pm »
Exactly, sometimes you need to try different things, infact Klopp hinted at it today with formations. I wouldn't be surprised if we see him playing 442 again, or at least varying our tactics a bit more. Especially in the games where we have problems, like against the smaller teams who defend deep, its worked in other games so why not? I loved watching Ings with the u23's he is such an honest player, tries for every minute he's on, and he's a lot more skilful then people think.

And what impressed me in the U23s I saw was he was constantly encouraging the younger players around him.

A bit of the missing leadership?

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #1783 on: January 29, 2018, 06:36:27 pm »
I think it’s pretty evident he’s not going out on loan. Why the sarcasm?

Oh ...
sorry I just think it’s funny people are now tying themselves in knots to suggest he’s good enough to be playing significant minutes for us #workrate.
Where were all these shouts pre this transfer window?

Offline David Struhme

• Kopite
« Reply #1784 on: January 29, 2018, 06:36:53 pm »
Wonder if Klopp would be tempted to try a Mané - Ings - Salah front line, with Bobby in midfield while we got no Lallana?

The new Fab Four??

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1785 on: January 29, 2018, 06:40:51 pm »
 ::)
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #1786 on: January 29, 2018, 06:45:47 pm »
Oh ...
sorry I just think it’s funny people are now tying themselves in knots to suggest he’s good enough to be playing significant minutes for us #workrate.

Posters were surely expecting a big chunk of the Coutinho money to be spent on a “marquee” signing?

What I think, fwiw, is that Ings has gradually improved his fitness and sharpness to the point where Klopp believes (particularly based on his U-23 form) that he can do a job for the team. All that we know and understand about Klopp’s methods bears that out - giving a chance to players who have shown the right credentials.

I also believe (and we can revisit this after the season’s end) that if my hunch is right and Ings is given a chance, he will surprise you.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1787 on: January 29, 2018, 06:46:27 pm »
And what impressed me in the U23s I saw was he was constantly encouraging the younger players around him.

A bit of the missing leadership?

Not just leadership consider what he's been through with those two comebacks from injury, would have broken a less determined man. But I agree about the way he was with the youngsters, he also seemed to get something out of it himself, maybe just the joy of being able to play again. He is also a a real team man, and someone who is prepared to go through a lot of work for the sake of the team. 

Offline WaterfordRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #1788 on: January 29, 2018, 07:17:55 pm »
Ings is a great option and will be do well against the bus parkers particularly. Its great to see him fit again. A goal or two will put down the unnecessary negative comment.
SOS 8040

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1789 on: January 29, 2018, 07:38:53 pm »
I think this is his chance to score some goals and make a difference. Just hope he doesn't get a knack to fuck it up.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1790 on: January 29, 2018, 07:39:53 pm »
I think this is his chance to score some goals and make a difference. Just hope he doesn't get a knack to fuck it up.

Hope you meant a knock, not one half of his knackers.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1791 on: January 29, 2018, 07:49:33 pm »
Ings is a great option and will be do well against the bus parkers particularly. Its great to see him fit again. A goal or two will put down the unnecessary negative comment.

How do we know he will be good against teams that park the bus?

Seen this said allot but not much backs it up apart from that he runs allot, and he has suffered two grim injuries on the legs.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 07:51:54 pm by OOS »
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1792 on: January 29, 2018, 07:56:09 pm »

Seen this said allot but not much backs it up apart from that he runs allot, and he has suffered two grim injuries on the legs.

Nothing like giving a player a chance, he is rated by the manager, Klopp has said so on enough occasions. The fact that he has come back from two serious injuries I would guess that, already says a lot about his attitude and determination. As for the rest I think he will do a good job for us, he gives us another option and he fits nicely into the style Klopp likes to play. Let's see how he does.

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1793 on: January 29, 2018, 07:57:00 pm »
Like Ings but he wouldn’t be a choice for a club with ambitions to win trophies. So fits in well with us.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1794 on: January 29, 2018, 07:57:10 pm »
Hope he shuts up alot of his doubters. Hes battled back from terrible injuries and shown a great attitude to get to this stage. So much for backing our players through thick and thin, not the shiny name most wanted but he wont let anyone down if given a chance.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1795 on: January 29, 2018, 07:57:30 pm »

Cos he scored against Carlisle, Norwich and the Blueshite before his injury?  ;D

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1796 on: January 29, 2018, 08:03:50 pm »

Thought that myself about Bobby in midfield but with a new striker (if one available). Mane - x - Salah

With one day of the deadline left I wouldn't moan if Jurgen decided to give Ings the nod now though.

I do fear for him though, in regards to our 'fans' if he didn't start scoring pretty sharpish after being given the nod.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1797 on: January 29, 2018, 08:12:38 pm »
Thought that myself about Bobby in midfield but with a new striker (if one available). Mane - x - Salah

With one day of the deadline left I wouldn't moan if Jurgen decided to give Ings the nod now though.

I do fear for him though, in regards to our 'fans' if he didn't start scoring pretty sharpish after being given the nod.

One of the best qualities about Ings is his perseverance. I remember when he was back on the comeback trail with the under 23's, and he was so unlucky in quite a few games. But his head just never drops nor his effort. No matter how many times he missed, he'd just work away until he got the break through, then he was fine. I'm sure once he gets that first goal he'll be off and running.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #1798 on: January 29, 2018, 08:15:48 pm »
Oh ...

you seem to be cross with anyone suggesting that ings has something to contribute to the team.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1799 on: January 29, 2018, 08:17:25 pm »

Its not strange because he hasn't been as good as both of those players you mentioned.