Author Topic: Bring Me Sunshine - the Luton Town '23-'24 Premier League Pointsometer (22)  (Read 7919 times)

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
There are a few teams across the world I have soft spots for, often because I once managed them succesfully in a computer game somewhere. That's actually true of Luton Town in a 90s edition of Championship Manager, but it's reinforced somewhat by living in the suburbs there for about 15 years after Uni. I've watched Liverpool win the Champions League in a bar a stone's throw from the site of the new stadium at Power Court, and even got to Kenilworth Road once to see a 3-0 victory over Preston North End.

Plastic pitches aside, the club, ground and town itself might be a bit of laughing stock across the country, but the plucky Hatters now find themselves in the Premier League this coming season. Already tipped by many RAWKites to have the worst campaign ever, it's an open question as to just how many points they can muster, and whether it will be enough to overhaul Derby's unenviable record.

It's also apparently an open question as to whether the Premier League will allow Luton to play at Kenilworth, with its much-discussed away fan entrance. Given the talk of the ground as a 'secret weapon', no doubt there will be feverish work across the summer to get it up to standard.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 05:01:42 pm by Riquende »
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Haven't seen any of them in the Championship, what sort of football do they play?  Usually, teams coming up play a more carefree game in the first few matches until the harsh reality sets in, so those first 10 matches or so will be crucial, the calendar may play a part.

We'll probably get them away first game.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Haven't seen any of them in the Championship, what sort of football do they play?  Usually, teams coming up play a more carefree game in the first few matches until the harsh reality sets in, so those first 10 matches or so will be crucial, the calendar may play a part.

Pulis-ball

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf

It’ll be Burnley, at an unseasonably cold, wet and windy Turf Moor. ;D

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
Going straight back down.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
Going straight back down.

If they were smart, they'd avoid the Lingard to Forest type of move and realize they're going straight back down, bank all the money and use it for their new stadium. Guaranteed they'll face a 'Big Six' side at home to kick off the season

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
13 points
YNWA

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
If they were smart, they'd avoid the Lingard to Forest type of move and realize they're going straight back down, bank all the money and use it for their new stadium. Guaranteed they'll face a 'Big Six' side at home to kick off the season

It'll be us.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Came very highly in our 'worst places to live' thread.  Been there once, knew a few people from there.

Memories of Les Sealey and plastic pitches.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
It’ll be Burnley, at an unseasonably cold, wet and windy Turf Moor. ;D

City will get them early on for the big Vincent Kompany love-in. Followed by 5 nil to City as usual.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
Never liked Luton at all from experience of us playing them in the 00's, can't remember finer details (maybe others on here will) but when we played them in a cup comp I remember their fans giving pelters to players and Gerrard and him making comments after the game about them, that's how bad they must have been.

As I say maybe someone else can refresh my memory on that but unless their fans have changed I don't think they're the nicest bunch, but then again who is I suppose.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Never liked Luton at all from experience of us playing them in the 00's, can't remember finer details (maybe others on here will) but when we played them in a cup comp I remember their fans giving pelters to players and Gerrard and him making comments after the game about them, that's how bad they must have been.

As I say maybe someone else can refresh my memory on that but unless their fans have changed I don't think they're the nicest bunch, but then again who is I suppose.

We played them in that mad 5-3 game where Xabi scored from our half in 2006. But we also played them away in the cup in 2008 (I think) when they were down a league or two. It finished as a draw. Vaguely remember Carra confronting the crowd after than game, and their being a bit of a hullabaloo about it all. We beat them about 5-0 in the replay, think it was Gerrard or Carragher’s 500th game for us. All getting a bit hazy now!

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We played them in that mad 5-3 game where Xabi scored from our half in 2006. But we also played them away in the cup in 2008 (I think) when they were down a league or two. It finished as a draw. Vaguely remember Carra confronting the crowd after than game, and their being a bit of a hullabaloo about it all. We beat them about 5-0 in the replay, think it was Gerrard or Carragher’s 500th game for us. All getting a bit hazy now!

I remember there being an issue with Carragher climbing into the stands during a warm down to confront fans. Was that Luton? I know it was a lower league club.

Online Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
Your memory is not as bad as you think. https://www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Game/5101

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
Bit surreal seeing Luton in the Prem. I pass by the stadium few times a year when going past to visit friends, and I'll never ever forget the sight of the 2 at it outside it one Monday about 2pm. For that reason alone, good luck to them. The lad up front, Adebayo?  In them few games I watched lately he looks a handfull. Doesn't look clinical as such but he looks like he'd be difficult to play against

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
Your memory is not as bad as you think. https://www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Game/5101

Bloody hell, Don Hutchison was playing?

I remember the 5-3 game very clearly, there was a huge buzz in the town when the draw was made (there are a fair amount of youngster who support PL teams, mostly Arsenal I think but Liverpool decently represented. I even saw a lad in an Everton shirt in my then-local Sainsburys once). I was working in retail at the time and some lad in the store swore he was going to get everyone tickets... not sure he even made it there himself.

The game was mad though, as well as Xabi hitting one from our own half you had one of the Luton forwards stamping on Carson and winning a penalty for it, think that made it 3-1 to Luton.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan

Maybe that's what I remember, but yeah always left a bad association with Luton fans after that. Doubt they'll have changed.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
4 of which will be from us ;D
Pretty sure Sunderland did something like that to us once.  Took 4 points off us and ended up on 18 overall or something.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
I remember the crazy 5-3 match Alonzo from the halfway line, Gerrard going mad at him when he takes the shot on, then celebrating with him when the ball rolls into the net, that came about after their keeper went up for a Luton corner, we managed to clear the ball & get a quick break away  ;D

Not sure when Luton had that plastic pitch installed, sometime during the summer of 85 or 86, they were forced to rip it up summer 91 when plastic pitches were banned, looking at the archives, we had couple of wins, couple of draws, & a couple of losses, i remember the FA cup tie against them in 87 which went to 2 replays, we lost the 2nd replay on their plastic pitch. :no
#Sausages

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Pretty sure Sunderland did something like that to us once.  Took 4 points off us and ended up on 18 overall or something.

02/03! Drew 0-0 at Anfield with their reserve keeper having a worldie. They didn’t have a shot all game. Then beat us 2-1 at their place. Think Kirkland saved a penalty.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
02/03! Drew 0-0 at Anfield with their reserve keeper having a worldie. They didn’t have a shot all game. Then beat us 2-1 at their place. Think Kirkland saved a penalty.
Yeah that would have been about right.  Not long after my first game at Anfield.

Watching a Houllier team try and break down a low block was always a painful experience!

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Saw this from Joe on FB  ;D
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline storkfoot

• Anny Roader
Luton Town brings back memories. The genius of Paul Walsh playing for them at Anfield in a 3-3 draw.

Also waking up on a Saturday morning in the mid ‘80s and deciding on a whim to go to Luton away. Merseyrail to Lime Street, bought a Special ticket and then paid in the away end which was open in those days. It was freezing but we won 3-1 with, I think, Souness scoring two.

Imagine doing that these days.

Offline LuverlyRita

• metar made
  • Kopite
Not sure when Luton had that plastic pitch installed, sometime during the summer of 85 or 86, they were forced to rip it up summer 91 when plastic pitches were banned, looking at the archives, we had couple of wins, couple of draws, & a couple of losses, i remember the FA cup tie against them in 87 which went to 2 replays, we lost the 2nd replay on their plastic pitch. :no
The plastic pitch definitely disrupted our game and contributed to my negative feelings toward the club - made worse by their (at the time) loathsome Tory MP chairman

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
The plastic pitch definitely disrupted our game and contributed to my negative feelings toward the club - made worse by their (at the time) loathsome Tory MP chairman

He was a complete scumbag. A bit of an auld racist cnut as I recall?
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Alisson Wonderland

• Legacy Fan
I'm going against the grain and saying I think they'll stay up against the odds.  They are a well run club and have, what looks like, a good young manager.  Their home form will be key though.

Offline Fortneef

• Palace Fan. Punka wallah?
  • Kopite
Yeah i dont think they will do any worse than the usual playoff winners.
Chance of staying up about 40%

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Haven't they got some upgrades to make to their existing stadium to be approved by the PL and will thus be after an away game for their opener just in case?

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I have a lot of links to Luton.

My dad grew up there, my grandparents lived on Cromwell Hill not far from Kenilworth Rd and I remember playing in Wardown Park as a kid.

My grandad was a Hatter as in he had a hat factory on Clarendon Road which I remember visiting as a child.  The factory is now apartments/flats but is part of the tourist trail and hat making history route with a plaque outside.

I still have family around the area.  Ampthill,  Barton le Clay, Clophill, Flitwick and Markyate.

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.

Yep.

To those of us who watched football in the '80s, before it was fashionable to do so, Luton Town will always be the club that gave us the loathsome David Evans, Tory MP and club chairman, whose ban on away fans inspired Margaret Thatcher's despised ID card scheme.

For those who don't remember, this was a scheme which would have seen anyone who wanted to watch football stigmatised as a second-class citizen and it was only abandoned after Hillsborough - when the Taylor Report brought an end to the practice of caging us like animals.

Add on that horrible plastic pitch and they wouldn’t have been the favourites of any of our players who faced them let alone our fans.

Going down next season. Ale house football.

I watched the play off from when Luton equalised on 66mins to the penalties. It was the worst game I watched all season including some in the Cheshire Football League. The ball was turned over every few seconds as they failed to find a teammate. Big guy up front, so get it into the mixer. They realise they have to spend £8-10 million to satisfy the PL the ground is up the PL standard by August before moving in 2025.
« Last Edit: June 1, 2023, 03:56:22 pm by redtel »
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
Haven't they got some upgrades to make to their existing stadium to be approved by the PL and will thus be after an away game for their opener just in case?
Aren’t we doing that too? That would mean we can’t face each other on the opening day. Either that or it would have to be played somewhere else.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
I remember the crazy 5-3 match Alonzo from the halfway line, Gerrard going mad at him when he takes the shot on, then celebrating with him when the ball rolls into the net, that came about after their keeper went up for a Luton corner, we managed to clear the ball & get a quick break away  ;D

Didn't they get the first replay (which should've been at Anfield) called off cos they were snowed in or some bollocks then the re-arranged replay where they beat us was back at their shithole?

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Aren’t we doing that too? That would mean we can’t face each other on the opening day. Either that or it would have to be played somewhere else.

In our case, that will obviously mean that we end up away at one of the other promoted sides.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Didn't they get the first replay (which should've been at Anfield) called off cos they were snowed in or some bollocks then the re-arranged replay where they beat us was back at their shithole?

That just sounds so mental if that's what happened, surely if a replay was postponed then you'd still play it at the scheduled venue when it was rearranged.

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
Always get a bit of tick v good for this...

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
That just sounds so mental if that's what happened, surely if a replay was postponed then you'd still play it at the scheduled venue when it was rearranged.

Just looked it up and they did re-arrange the game to played at Anfield which finished 0-0

Cup holders Liverpool were given the unenviable task of beginning their cup defence at Luton, although their supporters were boosted when the BBC chose to screen the match live on the Sunday. The 0-0 draw gained by a defensive Liverpool looked to have done the job for Dalglish's team, but his post-match declaration that Luton's playing surface should be ripped up indicated his growing feeling of disgust against artificial pitches. It wouldn't be Dalglish's last gripe during the tie.

Despite the country being in the midst of a cold snap, Liverpool managed to get their pitch in a fit state for the replay. The only problem was that Luton were stranded down south, their decision to travel up on the day of the match backfiring, with Luton airport closed, and their flight from Heathrow grounded due to air traffic congestion. Police advised Luton against travelling by coach - although many of their own supporters made the journey by car - and Liverpool officials were understandably furious that their opponents had not taken extra precautions in travelling up the night before.

The mistrust between the clubs continued prior to the rearranged replay. Luton rejected the FA's suggestion of a neutral venue should a second replay be required, and when Luton won the toss before the Anfield replay, Dalglish questioned why the coin flip was not performed after the match. Knowing that a draw would mean a return to Kenilworth Road, Luton parked the bus, a fine 0-0 meaning the two teams had to do it all again on the dreaded plastic pitch.

Luton easily won the second replay 3-0, Brian Stein's opener breaking the stalemate after over four hours of football, meaning Liverpool had exited the competition at the third round stage for the first time since 1978. But the row continued, particularly over the original Anfield cancellation. "If you can't turn up for a match you shouldn't be in the competition," bemoaned a peeved Dalglish, during a rare trophyless season for the Red Machine.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
As well as the ID cards they had a total ban on away fans.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
1st home game postponed as can't guarantee the ground will be ready
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT