Author Topic: Hillsborough article in The Athletic.  (Read 6275 times)

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Hillsborough article in The Athletic.
« on: April 15, 2022, 02:12:06 pm »
Thanks newterp for drawing attention to this article.

This is an incredible article - and looks to be freehttps://theathletic.com/3236654/2022/04/15/life-after-hillsborough-told-by-the-men-and-women-who-survived/?source=emp_shared_articleabout the view of several survivors.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
Re: Hillsborough article in The Athletic.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2022, 04:19:34 pm »
A harrowing and upsetting read that Alan but thanks for sharing it.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Mini Soda Scousephile

• Give us a snog, now.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • At the end of the storm there's a golden sky
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2022, 04:26:09 pm »
Woke up to find that in my inbox as well.

It should never be forgotten.
JFT97
« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 04:42:45 pm by Earthbound64 »

Online please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2022, 04:30:45 pm »
Read that halfway and as brilliant as the article is, I just couldn't finish reading it. So many triggering stories that made me cry.

97 souls were lost for no reason, just pure negligence, and somehow no one has yet to be found responsible for so many deaths.

Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2022, 05:12:54 pm »
Read that halfway and as brilliant as the article is, I just couldn't finish reading it. So many triggering stories that made me cry.

97 souls were lost for no reason, just pure negligence, and somehow no one has yet to be found responsible for so many deaths.

Effectively, the article tells the same story that you are feeling. The interviewees had so many points in life where they just felt like they couldn’t do anything or wanted to stop. It’s a powerful piece.

Offline Speedy Molby

• Not as fat as his name suggests but is still a bad formby wool :)
  • Campaigns
  • Kopite
  • Satire? In Wigan?
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2022, 10:16:52 pm »
Simon Hughes has tracked down survivors who, as far as I know, have not spoken publicly before. Excellent journalism.
I am alone now. I am beyond recrimination. The curtains have shut, the furniture has gone. I am transforming. I am vibrating. I am glowing. I am flying. Look at me now.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2022, 03:07:22 am »
Great article, just shows how events can have such a profound and sometimes hidden effect on people. Desperately sad to know that some of those interviewed could have been in a much better place had the right treatment been available and if the quest for justice had not taken so long.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline dirkster

• Legacy Fan
  • Dirk Kuyt. Working Class hero
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2022, 08:37:25 am »
A very powerful article and a difficult read. Had to stop and come back to it later.
Still have this overwhelming sense of anger that not one individual has been prosecuted for the gross negligence that day. This country, particularly the authorities involved, should be ashamed.

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2022, 09:23:07 am »
A very powerful article and a difficult read. Had to stop and come back to it later.
Still have this overwhelming sense of anger that not one individual has been prosecuted for the gross negligence that day. This country, particularly the authorities involved, should be ashamed.

They have been prosecuted, but no one has been found guilty, which only makes it worse.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2022, 10:00:15 am »
For me, the sense of frustrated anger I feel has grown since the inquests. That day seemed so powerful and a vindication of all those - many on here - who had fought for so long for justice. I hoped it offered some balm to the soul of the survivors who had been defamed for decades. Yet the failure of prosecutions since has been bitter and traumatic in its own slow-drip of realisation: the lives of the 97, the lives of those who could not continue, are not worth accounting for in the eyes of the establishment. & Duckenfield continues to play golf.

Offline dai_bonehead

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2022, 10:39:40 am »
I've been to concerts when there's been a crush, and they were probably magnitudes less than what the interviewees in this article experienced.

I can imagaine the fear, the claustrophobia, the helplessness, but not the terror of knowing that people are next to you, under you expiring. I feel for anyone and everyone that was there, or have been hit by the emotional shockwave from knowing someone that was.

Thank you to the people brave enough to share their traumatic experience. These things must never be forgotten. And we still need people and institutions to be held to account - we know who they are. They know who they are.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2022, 11:15:18 am »
That was a really hard read, harrowing and distressing.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2022, 12:57:18 pm »
Horrible horrible read that. Had to complete segments as it honestly sends me close to a panic attack to think about it (and i´m not that way inclined) and I was born after the disaster. Can´t even imagine how it is for those that were there, or that lost loved ones.

Thoughts with everyone affected that day.