Author Topic: Any Baseball Lovers Around  (Read 552736 times)

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
Re: Any Baseball Lovers Around
« Reply #9360 on: August 25, 2020, 10:21:54 pm »
A bit late on this but I've read a few interesting articles about the unwritten rules of baseball since the furore over Tatis Jr hitting a grand slam on a 3-0 pitch with his team quite comfortably ahead. I find it all rather silly yet mildly fascinating how seriously some of the old timers take these rules. I've only really been into baseball over the last 3 or 4 years and every now and then in a game the commentator will note about a certain rule here or there and you're left wondering what the fuck he's talking about or why it is even an unwritten rule in the first place.

Tatis Jr didn't see the third base coach signal not to swing, and wouldn't have if he had spotted him. But still, does anyone care or have any thoughts about these unwritten rules? Do they form a certain charm within the game of baseball or should they be obsolete?

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9361 on: August 26, 2020, 01:21:11 am »
A bit late on this but I've read a few interesting articles about the unwritten rules of baseball since the furore over Tatis Jr hitting a grand slam on a 3-0 pitch with his team quite comfortably ahead. I find it all rather silly yet mildly fascinating how seriously some of the old timers take these rules. I've only really been into baseball over the last 3 or 4 years and every now and then in a game the commentator will note about a certain rule here or there and you're left wondering what the fuck he's talking about or why it is even an unwritten rule in the first place.

Tatis Jr didn't see the third base coach signal not to swing, and wouldn't have if he had spotted him. But still, does anyone care or have any thoughts about these unwritten rules? Do they form a certain charm within the game of baseball or should they be obsolete?

It's a good question.  While there's a charm and interesting historical factor to some of them, given the "gentlemanly" nature of how some of them came about, there's definitely a spectrum of how accepted these are and by whom.

On Tatis specifically, there have been quite a lot of support for him from a variety of people, including current and older ballplayers (Reggie Jackson and Johnny Bench to name two older players).  Given how the game changes over the years, some of these unwritten rules can be out of date, and I think it's important to have context.  On not swinging 3-0 up a lot of runs, the eras change.  Pitchers are giving up more HR/9 than ever (even compared to the steroid era of the 90s and early 00s).  Walk rates are comparable to the steroid era.  Pitcher ERAs in 2019 and 2020 are 12th and 15th highest all-time (dating back to the 1870s, with only 1994, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, and 2007 sporting higher ERAs in the modern era).  We've seen bullpens blow big leads over and over again this year.  The Phillies bullpen, for example, has been horrific.  A 7-run lead late may seem big for the Padres (whose bullpen isn't Philly level but not good), but it can be whittled down in a hurry.  Tatis is also among the league leaders in home runs, and he has a chance at being the home run king.  Surely he should swing if it's advantageous.  Now, he did miss the take sign, but that's less of an unwritten rule issue and more of an internal team matter.  Jayce Tingle should've defended his player in public but maybe given him some feedback on missing the sign in private.  Hanging him out to dry like that is embarrassing.

Some feedback from younger fans on this (and younger players) also indicate a divergence in how baseball and other sports are going in terms of attracting audiences.  There have been comparisons made to NBA, for example, where a big dunk (even up 15 early in the 4th for example) is celebrated.  Young players and fans are excited.  Commentators are excited too.  Now, dunking big up 20 with a few seconds left is still a no-no (will incite a lot of criticism, particularly in college basketball), but when the result can still be in doubt, it's fun and goes viral.  Fernando Tatis, one of the most exciting players in all of baseball, who's so young and whose name carries even more weight given his father's major league career, should be one of the faces of the game going forward.  When he hit his first career grand slam to seal a win for his team, instead of excitement, it's people like Chris Woodward and Jayce Tingle whining about unwritten rules.  It's seen as stifling fun.  It's not little league.  If the pitcher isn't prepared for a young MVP-caliber player to seal the game with the bases loaded, he shouldn't be pitching.  And what if Tatis didn't swing, ended up striking out, the Padres don't add to their lead, and then the Rangers came back?  It makes no sense.  As Johnny Bench said, everyone should swing 3-0.

If a sign was missed, take it in house.  Never leave your player out to dry like that. 

There's validity in not wanting to run up the score/ease off in that situation, but given the nature of baseball today, few leads are safe.  There have been offensive explosions in the past too (the 20s and 30s, 90s and 00s to name a couple of eras), but given how important it is for MLB to continue to attract audiences, unwritten rules that could tamp down excitement may not be well received by younger viewers.

For other unwritten rules, there's some validity, at least where they originate, but there still needs to be interpretation for each one.  For example, not stealing a base up big is generally accepted, but how big of a lead should it apply to?  That's up to interpretation I suppose.  Bunting to break-up a no-hitter is also frowned upon, but if it's a big game and it's a 1-run game, why shouldn't a player, whose team has struggled to do anything offensively, not want to try to break up a pitcher's rhythm with a bunt single attempt?  If it's 9-0 in the 9th, and the pitcher is about to finish the no-hitter, probably don't bunt.  But if it's game 158 with the division title up for grabs with only a few games to go, and it's 1-0 in the 7th, why shouldn't the batter give his team the best chance to win?  Unwritten rules can be fine, but they end up being interpreted differently by different people.

Even hitting batters in retaliation for breaking unwritten rules has famous detractors.  Legendary manager Earl Weaver wrote in his book that he hated beanballs and discouraged them from being thrown (he was an early supporter of Moneyball type management that focused on maximizing OBP on offense, and limiting opposing baserunners with good defense; beaning people wasn't high on his agenda to say the least).  But what if he saw one of his pitchers have a no-hitter broken up with a bunt?  Maybe he would've allowed a high and tight fastball.  Within reason I suppose.

If the Rangers hadn't reacted (didn't throw at Machado and didn't have Woodward complain about it), I don't know if anything would've come of it.  I don't even know if the announcers or the sports-centric shows would've cared much.  As such, it blew up.  But there's a lot of show of support for Tatis, and both managers walked back their comments a bit, so it's certainly interesting.  The Ringer article below (which you might've seen already) has some more context, essentially stating that the reaction from some of the players in the league to the situation indicates where the trend is going on unwritten rules.  That being said, I think some of the other ones (like bunting to break up a no-hitter) may stick around a little longer, but certainly things are being challenged.  And it's probably a good thing given some of these unwritten rules came about more than a century ago.

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2020/8/19/21375862/fernando-tatis-grand-slam-padres-rangers-unwritten-rules
King Kenny.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9362 on: August 26, 2020, 05:27:57 am »
Saw a tweet last week in regards to Tatis Jr. that was something along the lines of “it’s an unwritten rule because when you write it down, it becomes obvious how stupid it is.”

Long live swinging on a 3-0 pitch with the bases loaded. Don’t muzzle these exciting young talents, let them be them. Baseball is already struggling in this country, don’t contribute to its downfall with stupidity like this.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9363 on: August 28, 2020, 02:19:50 am »
Manfred has got to go

Jeff Passan@JeffPassan
Here's video of Mets GM Brodie Van Wagenen discussing a plan in which he says MLB wanted the Mets to take the field, leave it and return an hour later. Van Wagenen is critical of the idea and commissioner Rob Manfred, saying: "He just doesn’t get it." (Video via @NickCocco18)
https://mobile.twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1299106097031241729

Offline NHRed

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9364 on: August 28, 2020, 01:18:00 pm »
The Red Sox did not play Thursday night.

https://www.overthemonster.com/2020/8/27/21404447/boston-red-sox-toronto-blue-jays-protest-strike-boycott-jackie-bradley-jr

Because they had a relatively early startingt time, the players did not have time to meet and come to consensus on striking before Wednesday's game.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #9365 on: September 3, 2020, 04:05:03 pm »
The greatest New York Met of all time Tom Seaver died yesterday, aged 75.

The man Mets fans called Tom Terrific (and The Franchise) led the Miracle Mets to their improbable championship in 1969.

For anyone into pitching, worth looking up old film of Seaver, he was incredible, one of the greatest pitchers ever.

Offline David in Edinburgh

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Klopp
« Reply #9366 on: September 5, 2020, 01:04:58 pm »
My Padres.  :champ

Offline Dutch56

• Kemlynite
« Reply #9367 on: September 9, 2020, 10:17:41 am »
O's fan here, yes I know we are shite, hoping to get better in a few years.

This week it was the 25th anniversary of Cal's 2131, he threw the first pitch to his son Ryan, still has a good arm gained a few pounds though.  8)

Online LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #9368 on: September 15, 2020, 11:46:21 pm »
Hi! I am relatively new to the sport and I am just watching old games as of now to learn the rules and trying to get a grip of the game. What do you guys like the most about the sport of baseball?  :wave

Offline SalisburyRed

• No fun "budding young Tory"!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9369 on: September 16, 2020, 09:52:11 pm »
Hi! I am relatively new to the sport and I am just watching old games as of now to learn the rules and trying to get a grip of the game. What do you guys like the most about the sport of baseball?  :wave

That it's a daily event from April to September/October.
The stats and data.
The history.
Going to games.
The game itself, although more balls in play and fewer home runs and strikeouts would be nice.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #9370 on: September 16, 2020, 10:55:28 pm »
I love it when those say they play every day, but don't look at the logistics & scheduling, yep they play almost every day[teams can have Mondays & Thursdays off]but they'll have 3 or 4 game series against the same team, example, Red Sox often play the Yankees in a 3 or 4 game series at Fenway, with the games scheduled for every day, then play another team for 3 or 4 games over the next 3 or 4 days.

It does happen in the schedule, which a plays 7 or more games in a row at home, but play 2 or 3 different teams, then they play 7 or more games in a row on the road, again playing 2 or 3 different teams.

The MLB regular season schedule is not done by computer either.
https://www.everythingzoomer.com/arts-entertainment/film-television/2017/02/22/mlb-schedulers/
#Sausages

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9371 on: September 17, 2020, 12:11:31 am »

Going to the games and the unreal level of stats behind the game. Surprised more xG nerds haven't jumped into baseball for that reason alone.  ;D

But there's something special about sitting in a stadium on a warm summer evening, drinking a stupidly expensive beer and eating a crappy hot dog that is so, so perfect.

Baseball is a weird as hell team game that relies so much on individual match ups and plays and situations. It's incredibly unique IMO.

Fantasy baseball is incredibly addicting and makes FPL look like a joke in comparison. I actually fell out of love with the game about 10 years ago but fantasy baseball with some buddies of mine sucked me back in about 4 years ago. I highly recommend it, even if you have no idea what you're doing or who any of the players are. Will help elevate your knowledge about the current landscape of the game like it did for me. 

If anyone here ever wants to get a league going next spring, would love to jump in.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 12:13:36 am by Lone Star Red »
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9372 on: September 17, 2020, 01:13:34 am »

Some of the mechanics that underpin the game from stat-driven approaches to managerial tactics.  For stats, baseball is second to none in the wealth of data that is out there.  From the simple (batting average, home runs, etc) to the second-level sabremetrics (BABIP, ISO) to the state-of-art technology of StatCast that tracks things like exit velocity, pitch spin rates, and other crazy data.  Some of the detailed analyses done to try to explain and predict success is very interesting. 
Managerial tactics are also fun to explore.  Given the data-rich nature of the game, there are more opportunities than ever to tailor tactics to specific teams and indeed specific hitters and pitchers.  But perhaps the most scrutinized decision a manager will make remains the decision around pitching moves in general (when to take a pitcher out and bring a new one one), particularly in the postseason.
Good examples include:
-Atlanta's Freddie Gonzalez opting not to use Craig Kimbrel for a 6-out save in an elimination Game 4 of the 2013 NLDS
-Red Sox's Grady Little opting to leave Pedro Martinez in in Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS
-Dusty Baker 2002 with the Giants:  Taking out Russ Ortiz with a 5-0 lead in Game 6 of the World Series (was up 3-2 in the series)
-Dusty Baker 2003 with the Cubs:  Leaving Mark Prior in with a 3-0 lead in Game 6 of the NLCS (was up 3-2 in the series)

With the examples above, it brings me to the next point of baseball enjoyment (or pain if you're on the wrong side), which is history.  The sheer volume of games and the number of years baseball has been around lend itself to a trove of amazing moments and almost unbelievable stories.  Baseball is also woven into the fabric of American society, so the struggles and breakthroughs of black and Latino players decades ago and the current international nature of the game transcends what just happens on the field.

The online content of baseball, given all the games and history, is also robust.

If you want some good baseball content that will delve deep into statistics but also bring in that history piece, look at Foolish Baseball's YouTube channel.  He has some great videos in there.  From breaking down the Yankees' centerfielder stars over time to exploring the 1884 season of Old Hoss Radbourn (who won 60 games as a pitcher in one year), it's great content.

Other channels that are good (you may have already come across these) include:
-Jomboy Media (he does quick, simple, funny breakdowns of recent plays in baseball and will occasionally do some historical moments that are requested)
-Jon Bois/SB Nation (now branded as Secret Base I believe).  Jon Bois has a ton of statistics-driven videos on sports in general, and he has a few dedicated to baseball (his videos range from the fun/unusual moments like Koo-Dae Sung to a deep breakdown of Barry Bonds' prowess at drawing walks).  He's part of SB Nation now, and they also churn out great sports content, focusing on some themes (e.g. rewinder of historical moments, collapses of teams following success, "beef" between players/coaches, weird rules, etc).  Some of the baseball-related examples will include Game 7 of the 2016 World Series, the collapse of the Mariners following 2001, the feud between A-Rod and Jeter, etc.
-Made the Cut:  highlight compilations of great plays, errors, player-specific reels, etc (mostly from the recent years)
King Kenny.

Offline SalisburyRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9373 on: September 17, 2020, 05:13:19 am »
Oh, I completely forgot about the writing. I'm not sure any sport has as rich a trove of writing, both online and in print, as baseball does. He'll be 100 later this month so isn't publishing stuff any more, but get into reading Roger Angell's work for a dose of baseball history and phenomenal writing. (Angell wrote other stuff too, just as wonderfully.)

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9374 on: September 25, 2020, 05:42:40 pm »
Jays back in the post season! Ryu has been spectacular, especially in the last half a dozen starts. ERA of about 2 when he was needed most.

Offline BassTunedToRed

• This X-Axis goes up to 11.
  • Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
« Reply #9375 on: September 26, 2020, 10:57:50 pm »
Mets eliminated. Save us, Steve Cohen.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9376 on: October 1, 2020, 06:21:09 am »
Best yankee win in years...On to san Diego

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9377 on: October 2, 2020, 12:20:22 am »
I've got Yankees playoffs and the other half has Lakers playoffs, pretty weird getting used to that in October.

San Diego's Stadium is one of the worst for home runs, not ideal for the Yankees team that's built with right handed home run power.

Just had a feeling all season one of the unfancied teams is going to win it this year.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9378 on: October 2, 2020, 12:35:54 am »
They needn't worry too much about PetCo with their power.  The Padres hit more home runs than the Yankees this year, and PetCo was ranked way higher than normal in ballpark factors for home runs (though not the level of Yankee Stadium of course) thanks to that power.  It's worked out fine for Tatis, Machado, and Myers.

It's still a bit of a cavern but having a lot power helps regardless!
King Kenny.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9379 on: October 6, 2020, 04:22:03 am »
Great win by the Yankees in game 1.

For once the bats are hot in October.

11 home runs, 2 grand slams in the last 3 games.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9380 on: October 10, 2020, 05:49:31 am »
Ok, if the Rays win the World Series after the Lightning won the Stanley Cup and the Bucs got Tom Brady, it would be too far.  Come on, Tampa, let the rest of us have some fun.

Also, if the Rays win the World Series, the city of Tampa would have more pro sports championships this year alone than New York has in the last decade.
King Kenny.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9381 on: October 10, 2020, 07:57:15 am »
Don’t dislike the Yankees that much but I sure as hell wasn’t wanting them to win it either. If the Dodgers were beaten that’d be smashing.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #9382 on: October 10, 2020, 01:52:20 pm »
That was a great game last night. The Rays own the Yankees these days and have superior front office people. Hope they win the whole thing.

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9383 on: October 12, 2020, 05:12:11 pm »
Joe Morgan has passed away.  An awful lot of greats gone this year.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9384 on: October 12, 2020, 07:10:46 pm »
ESPN Sunday night baseball, Joe Morgan and John Millar were a brilliant commentary duo in the 00's is what i know him from most.

That Reds team he played in in his pomp, he used to love talking about them during games.

On another note, Aaron Boone is useless.

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #9385 on: October 12, 2020, 08:32:23 pm »

Sorry to hear that. RIP Joe.

First became aware of him when watching my first All Star Game in 1977.

He hit a lead off homer for the NL off Jim Palmer into the right field seats.

Hit many more after that and as mentioned was a great listen when he retired to become a regular on TV games.
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #9386 on: October 13, 2020, 01:05:32 am »
Billy Beane is leaving Oakland A’s.  Teaming up with John Henry it seems, and much talk that he’ll be involved with football, something he is passionate about.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9387 on: October 13, 2020, 02:47:01 am »
Billy Beane is leaving Oakland A’s.  Teaming up with John Henry it seems, and much talk that he’ll be involved with football, something he is passionate about.

Looks like his RedBall group is merging with FSG. He won't be working for the Red Sox. Beane already has stakes in Barnsley and AZ Alkmaar
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 02:48:59 am by rafathegaffa83 »

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9388 on: October 13, 2020, 05:03:46 am »
That was an awesome win for the Braves.  Thought all the LOB would come back to bite but really teed off on the Dodgers in the 9th.  Really tense postseason game.  A perfect opener to the NLCS.  Will only be tougher from here on out.
King Kenny.

Offline SalisburyRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9389 on: October 13, 2020, 09:14:40 pm »
That was an awesome win for the Braves.  Thought all the LOB would come back to bite but really teed off on the Dodgers in the 9th.  Really tense postseason game.  A perfect opener to the NLCS.  Will only be tougher from here on out.

Yeah, that was a really excellent game.

Kershaw has been scratched from today's start, pushed back to game three or four due to back spasms.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #9390 on: October 13, 2020, 11:03:30 pm »
It might actually be worse for the Braves if Kershaw is scratched  ;D

All jokes aside, any Braves (or non Dodger) fans on here needn't worry in the slightest.

Even in these uncertain and unpredictable times, you can always count on my Dodgers to fold/choke/implode/any other similar verb at this time of year.

It's what they do. Bully their division in the regular season, then have their disappearance act as soon as the leaves start to fall.

Rest assured, I'll be cheering their latest face plant act, as I have done for decades.

You beautiful, magnificent, chronically flawed, beloved choke artists  :scarf :hally :boxhead

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9391 on: October 13, 2020, 11:40:58 pm »
It might actually be worse for the Braves if Kershaw is scratched  ;D

All jokes aside, any Braves (or non Dodger) fans on here needn't worry in the slightest.

Even in these uncertain and unpredictable times, you can always count on my Dodgers to fold/choke/implode/any other similar verb at this time of year.

It's what they do. Bully their division in the regular season, then have their disappearance act as soon as the leaves start to fall.

Rest assured, I'll be cheering their latest face plant act, as I have done for decades.

You beautiful, magnificent, chronically flawed, beloved choke artists  :scarf :hally :boxhead
Didn't they win the division for like 15 years straight or something. :D

Any team with Maddux, Smoltz and Glavine in the rotation should be winning at least 4-5 Championships, they were winning their division with ease, they had both the Jones's who were monster hitters as well.

I should add Maddux was my all time favourite pitcher to watch, pitching in the steroid era with a 88 mph fastball and making hitters look stupid, an absolute magician on the mound.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/GefEhZb73_g" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/GefEhZb73_g</a>
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 11:42:54 pm by RedSince86 »

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9392 on: October 13, 2020, 11:58:01 pm »
Funny you say this, but I kept comparing this (latest) batch of underachievers to those 90's Braves; so similar in the way they had so many division titles and little to show for, but hey at least even they won it once.

Never thought it'd be 30+ years without anything since I last saw Dempsey lift Hershiser.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9393 on: October 14, 2020, 02:57:25 am »
Try not to get swept eh lads?   :boxhead :boxhead

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #9394 on: October 15, 2020, 12:24:32 am »
Dodgers score 11 runs in the 1st inning, :o lead 13-0 top of the 3rd
#Sausages

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9395 on: October 15, 2020, 01:06:13 am »
We just might pull this off in extra innings and avoid the sweep  :odd

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9396 on: October 15, 2020, 01:50:05 am »
2019 Braves:  allow 10 runs in the first in a deciding game 5 - well, at least we can't give up any more runs in the first.
2020 Braves:  hold our beers

If this series goes 7, both fanbases are going to talk about their impending doom the entire night.  Truly the stoppable force vs. the moveable object as far as October success goes for these two NL teams.
King Kenny.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9397 on: October 16, 2020, 07:42:40 pm »
"This may have been Atlanta in 2020, but the combined failures echoed through Washington in 2019, Boston in 2018, Houston in 2017, the Chicago Cubs in 2016, the New York Mets in 2015, and St. Louis in 2014 and 2013.

This has happened so much, to expect something different is the definition of insanity, which describes what it feels like to keep believing in these guys.
" Plaschke, LA times

...On the money as always Bill.

Hats off to both the Braves and Rays, getting it done with rookies and a fraction of the budget.

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9398 on: October 17, 2020, 06:01:44 am »
Congrats TipTopKop.  That was a great turnaround for the Dodgers.  I was joking with my Yankees-supporting friend that with the Braves up 2 games in the series that the Dodgers were going to sign Jim Leyritz.  Well, evidently Will Smith (the Dodgers one) turned into him!

That play by Betts changed everything.  The Braves had done everything right with a bullpen game:  got 3 scoreless innings out of Minter, chased Dustin May after just 2 innings, and worked Joe Kelly immediately into trouble.  Then that spectacular play by Betts and the misstep by Ozuna changed it all.  Braves bats went completely silent, and the Dodgers came roaring back.  Will Smith (the Braves one) looked terrible yesterday, and when he came in and immediately walked Muncy, it had trouble written all over it.

A entire series of scoring runs.  Anyone following the Braves (or Atlanta sports) knew that they wouldn't just coast through up 3-1.

Fried vs. Buehler Game 6 is going to be massive.
King Kenny.

Online koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
« Reply #9399 on: October 17, 2020, 11:04:05 pm »
I just want to say: fuck the dodgers.
I for one welcome our new insect overloads