Author Topic: Any Baseball Lovers Around  (Read 552861 times)

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Any Baseball Lovers Around
« Reply #9160 on: October 20, 2019, 08:06:55 am »
Champan's reaction was priceless, feel for him but screw the Yankees big time.
Hope the Nats win it just gor Bryce Harper memes.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #9161 on: October 23, 2019, 04:56:16 am »
Nationals win world series game 1, 5-4, little nervy the last couple of innings, the Astros had the bases loaded in one inning, but couldn't scorefrom it.
#Sausages

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #9162 on: October 24, 2019, 03:52:24 am »
Nationals take the lead in the seventh innings. If they hold on today, hard to see the Astros not being blown away in 4 or 5 games.

Edit: Finishes 12-3 to Washington. The Astros already look defeated in this series.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 05:16:23 am by demain »
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9163 on: October 24, 2019, 11:08:20 am »
Astros bullpen got lit up like a lantern. I think everyone knew that's where the weakness lay and Washington piled it on.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9164 on: October 24, 2019, 02:45:58 pm »
Nats need to get these home wins!

Be amazing for DC to possibly have the Caps last year and Nats this year. That said - Houston will get Cole and Verlander our there for another game and bullpen as needed.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 02:49:07 pm by newterp »

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9165 on: October 24, 2019, 03:02:16 pm »
Go Nats.

Harper will rue the day he left them if they win the WS, they are built to be the best team in the NL for the next 2-3 years.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9166 on: October 24, 2019, 03:17:13 pm »
Go Nats.

Harper will rue the day he left them if they win the WS, they are built to be the best team in the NL for the next 2-3 years.

There could be quite a turnover in Washington even if they win though. Rendon will probably be back but Texas might make a play as they move into a new ball park and Strasburg could opt out with a huge leverage to garner more money. Zimmerman will likely leave. Kendrick and Hudson will garner all kinds of interest on the open market, role players like Dozier and Rodney are out of contract too. I can't remember a potential winner of the World Series having so much uncertainty over their squad moving forward. Maybe it's not a terrible thing as they are quite an old team in general but they're far from a certainty to be here again next year.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #9167 on: October 24, 2019, 05:16:23 pm »
Go Nats.

Bill Simmons will have to rename his Ewing Theory too.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #9168 on: October 24, 2019, 05:46:03 pm »
Astros bullpen got lit up like a lantern. I think everyone knew that's where the weakness lay and Washington piled it on.

It wasn't the bullpen Gerry ---  it was the LOB'sters. 

Astro hitters have been appallingly poor in big moments over the last two weeks (other than homers).  It feeds off of one another.   I do not blame the bullpen last night -- instead the Astros offense should have had a bigger lead going into the shithole of a 7th inning 2-2.

Bregman's errors did not help.  And this team has relied too much upon Cole and Verlander's excellence.  When the 8 hole hitter hits an offspeed pitch for a home run in tight game (Suzuki) --- you know the baseball gods have a reckoning.

And then throw in B Taubman (Asst GM) bullshit --- and you have an overconfident team, who  is not hitting, grinding or dealing with their lack of timely hitting issues --- and pushing your starting pitching to their limits.

Bullpen?  They had a bad couple of innings during the last few weeks where they have been good.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 05:49:11 pm by Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9169 on: October 24, 2019, 05:58:26 pm »

Astro hitters have been appallingly poor in big moments over the last two weeks (other than homers).  It feeds off of one another.   I do not blame the bullpen last night -- instead the Astros offense should have had a bigger lead going into the shithole of a 7th inning 2-2.

Bregman's errors did not help.  And this team has relied too much upon Cole and Verlander's excellence.  When the 8 hole hitter hits an offspeed pitch for a home run in tight game (Suzuki) --- you know the baseball gods have a reckoning.

And then throw in B Taubman (Asst GM) bullshit --- and you have an overconfident team, who  is not hitting, grinding or dealing with their lack of timely hitting issues --- and pushing your starting pitching to their limits.

Bullpen?  They had a bad couple of innings during the last few weeks where they have been good.

It's not solely on the bullpen but Pressly, Devenski and James gave up 5 between them and put the game out of reach once and for all. It is true the best players aren't hitting for the Astros, Altuve aside.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #9170 on: October 24, 2019, 06:10:01 pm »

Game 1 bottom of the 7th, Astros lead off with a HR, but left 3 stranded on base when the inning ended, Astros leaving runners on base at the end of the innings, has been an issue for them throughout the playoffs.
#Sausages

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9171 on: October 24, 2019, 06:26:57 pm »
There could be quite a turnover in Washington even if they win though. Rendon will probably be back but Texas might make a play as they move into a new ball park and Strasburg could opt out with a huge leverage to garner more money. Zimmerman will likely leave. Kendrick and Hudson will garner all kinds of interest on the open market, role players like Dozier and Rodney are out of contract too. I can't remember a potential winner of the World Series having so much uncertainty over their squad moving forward. Maybe it's not a terrible thing as they are quite an old team in general but they're far from a certainty to be here again next year.
I didn't know it was that bad.

Looks like the Marlins who won it tice and the following season both times all the best players left in trades or free agency.

This might get the Orioles ownership to pull their finger out, with the Nats becoming a potential WS winners, a storied franchise like them being so bad in a catchment they both occupy, could see the Nats as the biggest franchise and draw out of them two.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9172 on: October 24, 2019, 07:34:00 pm »
I didn't know it was that bad.

Looks like the Marlins who won it tice and the following season both times all the best players left in trades or free agency.

This might get the Orioles ownership to pull their finger out, with the Nats becoming a potential WS winners, a storied franchise like them being so bad in a catchment they both occupy, could see the Nats as the biggest franchise and draw out of them two.

difference is - should they win - they will still spend to rebuild and contend. Marlins had no interest in doing so.

Fans here in DC love their sports teams and are starved for winners. The Nats and Caps have been the only consistently good teams in the last decade - so they have big followings.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #9173 on: October 24, 2019, 07:56:49 pm »
difference is - should they win - they will still spend to rebuild and contend. Marlins had no interest in doing so.

Fans here in DC love their sports teams and are starved for winners. The Nats and Caps have been the only consistently good teams in the last decade - so they have big followings.

Yep the Redskins are a mess have been for years, really they need Snyder to sell up, doubt he will though
#Sausages

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9174 on: October 24, 2019, 08:49:46 pm »
Yep the Redskins are a mess have been for years, really they need Snyder to sell up, doubt he will though
Who's the worst owner out of Snyder and the Knicks one.

I think Dolan shades it, i hate the man with a passion.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9175 on: October 24, 2019, 09:26:51 pm »

It would take a scandal of Donald Sterling proportions for Snyder to sell. The games now are either 60% full - or if full it's a higher majority of AWAY fans because tickets are so easy to come by. There used to be a decades long waiting list for Skins tickets - now they are advertising during games to fans to sell tickets. It's absolute garbage.

Anyway - probably the wrong thread to vent.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #9176 on: October 25, 2019, 10:39:24 pm »
Game 3 later, in NL ballpark which means no designated hitter, the pitcher has a at bat. ;D
#Sausages

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9177 on: October 27, 2019, 12:37:05 pm »
We have a world series now.  Tied 2-2 with a massive game tonight. 

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9178 on: October 27, 2019, 12:46:08 pm »
We have a world series now.  Tied 2-2 with a massive game tonight. 

Sadly I think the Nats might have run out of steam. Game 3 was huge with all the runners left on base and not scoring.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9179 on: October 27, 2019, 01:05:36 pm »
Sadly I think the Nats might have run out of steam. Game 3 was huge with all the runners left on base and not scoring.

I don't know.  A lot of people (not on here obv) were saying that the Astros had no chance after going 0-2 down in the series. 

Cole vs Scherzer tonight is going to be good. 

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #9180 on: October 27, 2019, 02:16:18 pm »
I actually went to a Nationals game in 2007 when I was visiting the East coast.

Something to do one night. But I've just seen this, so I can't bare to think of them winning the WS

https://twitter.com/awaygamesinfo/status/1188428659847303168?s=19

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9181 on: October 27, 2019, 11:44:22 pm »
I don't know.  A lot of people (not on here obv) were saying that the Astros had no chance after going 0-2 down in the series. 

Cole vs Scherzer tonight is going to be good.

Scherzer has been scratched for tonight. 

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #9182 on: October 29, 2019, 09:33:37 am »
Nationals take the lead in the seventh innings. If they hold on today, hard to see the Astros not being blown away in 4 or 5 games.

I guess I am as clueless about baseball as I am about football or life.
'Sold a couple once.'

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9183 on: October 29, 2019, 09:52:19 am »
I guess I am as clueless about baseball as I am about football or life.
Astros have that rare quality of outstanding starting pitching and the hitting lineup also being outstanding.

Potent mix, it's also why the RedSox won 4 world series this century, they also had stellar starting pitching and a offense that wore down opposing pitchers in those championship seasons.

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #9184 on: October 30, 2019, 03:48:06 am »
Looks like we have a Game 7 folks. Massive pitching performance across 8 innings by Stephen Strasburg today.

Hilarious how both teams have won their matches on the road. With Scherzer slated in to start tomorrow, I'd have the Nationals as slight favourites.
'Sold a couple once.'

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9185 on: October 30, 2019, 11:21:42 am »
Nats woke up. After a rough first inning - Strasburg pitched the game of his life. Got out of a couple of tight spots too. The 5 pitch 8th inning was amazing.

I hope Scherzer is actually healthy. He could be the difference - especially since the Astros two aces - Cole and Verlander are done (I suppose Cole could be in the bullpen tonight).

Pretty exciting as a Nats fan - despite this being one of the lowest rated WS. I think the last 2 games in Washington being blowouts as well as game 2 didn't help.

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9186 on: October 31, 2019, 02:57:34 am »
Haven't been watching much this series, but Game 7 has been fantastic so far through 7.

Nats with a 1-run lead going into the bottom of the 9th with the top of the Astros lineup due up would be one incredible finish.
King Kenny.

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9187 on: October 31, 2019, 03:05:06 am »
Oh, and Anthony Rendon's pretty good under pressure.

King Kenny.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9188 on: October 31, 2019, 03:11:11 am »
Meltdown by the Astros pen.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9189 on: October 31, 2019, 03:13:49 am »
Oh, and Anthony Rendon's pretty good under pressure.

Free agent after this WS.

Kerching!!!!

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9190 on: October 31, 2019, 03:29:16 am »
Come on Nats!

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9191 on: October 31, 2019, 03:38:12 am »
I was hoping for a close game in the 9th, but Hinch's horrific bullpen management took that away.

What a joke.
King Kenny.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9192 on: October 31, 2019, 03:38:37 am »
More runs please!!

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #9193 on: October 31, 2019, 03:47:29 am »
The Astros bullpen choked, reminiscent of what happened in game two.
'Sold a couple once.'

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9194 on: October 31, 2019, 03:51:03 am »
Wooooohooooo! What a fucking resilient team!

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9195 on: October 31, 2019, 03:54:32 am »
2-0 up.

Greinke on the mound.  1 out in the 7th.  Cole in the bullpen.

Astros lose 6-2.

I wonder if that assistant GM is still "so fucking glad" they got Osuna though.
King Kenny.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9196 on: October 31, 2019, 03:59:43 am »
AJ Hinch WTF was he thinking.

He was getting Pelters from Buck and Smoltz.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9197 on: October 31, 2019, 04:00:36 am »
AJ Hinch WTF was he thinking.

He was getting Pelters from Buck and Smoltz.

Buck and Smoltz seemed to be openly cheering for the Astros

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9198 on: October 31, 2019, 04:02:04 am »
Bryce Harper, i wonder what he's thinking right now.

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9199 on: October 31, 2019, 04:06:18 am »
Bryce Harper, i wonder what he's thinking right now.

The one silver lining.  Leave the Nats to go to a division rival and see this happen.

As a Braves fan, this has been a terrible postseason but at least there's that.
King Kenny.