32 (25.4%)
Murphy
4 (3.2%)
Robertson
27 (21.4%)
Allen
9 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 126

Author Topic: The Snooker thread  (Read 638734 times)

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Snooker thread
« Reply #9160 on: August 13, 2020, 03:18:13 pm »
I really can’t stand Selby, he just sucks the life out of every frame with his boring Mourinho style tactics.

Robertson was talking about him after his loss and mentioned 'parking the bus'

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #9161 on: August 13, 2020, 03:23:36 pm »
great stuff from Selby, highest break of the match.

O'Sullivan in early here though.

Offline PatriotScouser

• Legacy Fan
  • I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
« Reply #9162 on: August 13, 2020, 03:29:18 pm »
The only reason I'd like to see Selby beat Ronnie is that Hendry was my favourite player and don't want to see him beat his record.

Should be a cracking match whatever happens.

You do realise should Selby win it this year then he will have 4 world titles and at 37 years old he has 15 years to get 3 more, which considering the rest of the field of players is almost a cast iron certainty.

I expect Trump to win 2 or 3 more in his career, Robertson to win 1 or 2 more, Kyren Wilson probably has 1 or 2 in him likewise Ding.

So I think the odds are favourable if Selby gets his 4th title this year that he surpasses Hendry in world title wins.

Offline Dynasty

• Anny Roader
« Reply #9163 on: August 13, 2020, 03:44:52 pm »
This is awful sport should be entertaining, boring your opponent to death to win jesus  :butt

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9164 on: August 13, 2020, 03:45:42 pm »
You do realise should Selby win it this year then he will have 4 world titles and at 37 years old he has 15 years to get 3 more, which considering the rest of the field of players is almost a cast iron certainty.

I expect Trump to win 2 or 3 more in his career, Robertson to win 1 or 2 more, Kyren Wilson probably has 1 or 2 in him likewise Ding.

So I think the odds are favourable if Selby gets his 4th title this year that he surpasses Hendry in world title wins.

Imagine if Selby retires with the most World titles. It'd be a travesty.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9165 on: August 13, 2020, 03:46:44 pm »

Hendry had 7 titles when he was way younger than Selby is now, so by that logic he should be on about 15 by now.

Nothing is guaranteed.

Offline Chavvie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9166 on: August 13, 2020, 03:48:05 pm »
This is awful sport should be entertaining, boring your opponent to death to win jesus  :butt

Are you actually watching the match, Selby has been top class and Ronnie is struggling. Clear as day

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #9167 on: August 13, 2020, 03:49:20 pm »
Ronnie not at the races at all today. Could get ugly if he can't gather himself during the interval.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #9168 on: August 13, 2020, 03:49:53 pm »
Absolutely rancid from Ronnie so far today, honestly reckon I’d have done a bit better.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9169 on: August 13, 2020, 03:50:58 pm »
Ronnie has made this very easy for Selby

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #9170 on: August 13, 2020, 03:55:39 pm »

Absolutely clueless, how dare Selby for competing. Even Selby's biggest detractors can have fuck all to complain about so far. :lmao
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 03:58:12 pm by BER »

Offline PatriotScouser

• Legacy Fan
  • I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
« Reply #9171 on: August 13, 2020, 04:07:58 pm »
Certain sports need to retain the entertainment value to keep alive competing against other sports and Snooker is just that.

If we're left with Selby and dozen clones like him in the top 16 then the sport will eventually die off.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9172 on: August 13, 2020, 04:12:50 pm »
Certain sports need to retain the entertainment value to keep alive competing against other sports and Snooker is just that.

If we're left with Selby and dozen clones like him in the top 16 then the sport will eventually die off.

Pretty sure all attempts to make snooker entertaining with shot clocks and the like have always died on their arses.

Snooker is what it is, and there's always been a version of Mark Selby around.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9173 on: August 13, 2020, 04:23:11 pm »
Pretty sure all attempts to make snooker entertaining with shot clocks and the like have always died on their arses.

Snooker is what it is, and there's always been a version of Mark Selby around.

The issue is that his way of playing is probably the "right" way if you want to win. And as a sport evolves more and more players will gravitate toward the optimal strategy. Unfortunately this will lead to views decreasing. Not saying there's a way to fix it without breaking the fundamentals of the sport, because there probably isn't...

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9174 on: August 13, 2020, 04:24:05 pm »

They really don’t. You don’t need to ‘darts’ the snooker. If you’re watching it for amazing, high octane excitement then you’ve really fucked up.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9175 on: August 13, 2020, 04:25:49 pm »
The issue is that his way of playing is probably the "right" way if you want to win. And as a sport evolves more and more players will gravitate toward the optimal strategy. Unfortunately this will lead to views decreasing. Not saying there's a way to fix it without breaking the fundamentals of the sport, because there probably isn't...

If that was true then everyone would have emulated Terry Griffiths back in the day but it didn't play out like that.  There's more than one way to win at snooker the same as with any sport, and some of them are more entertaining to the mainstream than others.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #9176 on: August 13, 2020, 04:25:59 pm »
snooker has been allegedly dying for years now but is in a much better place as a sport than it was 10-15 years ago.

it's a sport, and like all sports there are different ways of playing it.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9177 on: August 13, 2020, 04:30:46 pm »
If that was true then everyone would have emulated Terry Griffiths back in the day but it didn't play out like that.  There's more than one way to win at snooker the same as with any sport, and some of them are more entertaining to the mainstream than others.

Could be you're right, we definitely won't know for a number of years. It's just that whenever I watch Selby, his style of play seems too efficient. If I were starting my career now, I'd definitely want to model my game on him, rather than Ronnie.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9178 on: August 13, 2020, 04:39:57 pm »
There’s only one person who can beat Ronnie and he’s doing it so far

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9179 on: August 13, 2020, 04:42:02 pm »
Could be you're right, we definitely won't know for a number of years. It's just that whenever I watch Selby, his style of play seems too efficient. If I were starting my career now, I'd definitely want to model my game on him, rather than Ronnie.

But Selby didn't invent that style of play.  It's been around forever just like O'Sullivan's has.  It's not inherently the right way for any given player to play the game, it's just the right style to match his particular skillset.

If you took a young Jimmy White and tried to get him to model his game on Selby, he'd be useless.  And if you took a young Peter Ebdon and tried to get him to play like Ronnie O'Sullivan it wouldn't work either.  You have to play to your strengths, same as any other sport.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9180 on: August 13, 2020, 04:46:57 pm »
But Selby didn't invent that style of play.  It's been around forever just like O'Sullivan's has.  It's not inherently the right way for any given player to play the game, it's just the right style to match his particular skillset.

If you took a young Jimmy White and tried to get him to model his game on Selby, he'd be useless.  And if you took a young Peter Ebdon and tried to get him to play like Ronnie O'Sullivan it wouldn't work either.  You have to play to your strengths, same as any other sport.

Fair enough, I'm definitely more a casual fan than most in this thread, hard to even find it live on TV here in recent years, this was just my impression of the past few years of watching the sport.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9181 on: August 13, 2020, 04:49:19 pm »

If you're a player of middling talent Selby is definitely somebody to look to rather than O'Sullivan. Ronnie is the most talented player to ever hold a stick, so anybody trying to be like him is on a hiding to nothing. Certainly way easier to be a grinder and make yourself successful that way. Not many young players see it that way these days though, the ones that aren't any good don't even learn how to bog down an opponent.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9182 on: August 13, 2020, 05:04:31 pm »
Here's O'Sullivan's fastest ever 147 in a split screen with Mark Selby playing one shot ;D

https://twitter.com/SuzySways/status/1293868021795168256

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #9183 on: August 13, 2020, 05:06:40 pm »
Here's O'Sullivan's fastest ever 147 in a split screen with Mark Selby playing one shot ;D

And that's what makes him special. If everyone was as robotically perfect as he is at times, it would be boring as fuck.

Offline Dynasty

• Anny Roader
« Reply #9184 on: August 13, 2020, 05:21:09 pm »
Ronnie really needs to get to the final, can you imagine a Selby vs Wilson or McGill final will be like Dott vs Ebdon all over again, I would rather go to the dentist than suffer through that.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #9185 on: August 13, 2020, 05:43:37 pm »

Fantastic break that was, he never lost position once, incredible control of the cue ball, as for Selby, the only thing you can say about that was that it was frame ball but to take 6 minutes thinking it through and then to play some sort of shot to nothing was odd.  It was a decent shot as he put the red a mile from the black an on the top cushion so Higgins would have to go somewhat to clear from there even if he left one on.  Why it took that long to come up with that though is anyone's guess!
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9186 on: August 13, 2020, 06:20:29 pm »
Parrot said he thought a grinder would win it this year.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9187 on: August 13, 2020, 06:21:16 pm »
 :lmao at all the Ronnie fans cryarsing.

Also, a grinder (The Grinder) was the first person to ever make a 147 in the WC.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 06:29:47 pm by Red-Soldier »

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9188 on: August 13, 2020, 06:34:37 pm »
Should've been 6-2 but 5-3. Will give Selby a boost and I reckon he'll win the second session now.

Well that was predictable
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Chavvie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9189 on: August 13, 2020, 06:43:19 pm »

Also, a grinder (The Grinder) was the first person to ever make a 147 in the WC.

Funny isn’t it, he’s not rolled over for Ronnie etc etc. Ronnie needs to do it when he’s under the cosh. Sometimes he has, sometimes he hasn’t. You can tell he respects the challenge of playing Selby though and his fans should too

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9190 on: August 13, 2020, 06:50:49 pm »

The only one that's cryarsing is Dynasty, but he's a troll and has been under every username he has had on the site.

It would be great if ever player was like Ronnie and cracked in a century break every frame, but eventually that would get rather boring too. Selby may not be great to watch at times, but he's a damn good snooker player and the perfect match for Ronnie's style of play. It's up to Ronnie to adapt his game if his natural game isn't working.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #9191 on: August 13, 2020, 07:41:41 pm »
World Snooker Championship 2020: Fans expected to be allowed in for final

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9192 on: August 13, 2020, 08:01:36 pm »
The only one that's cryarsing is Dynasty, but he's a troll and has been under every username he has had on the site.

It would be great if ever player was like Ronnie and cracked in a century break every frame, but eventually that would get rather boring too. Selby may not be great to watch at times, but he's a damn good snooker player and the perfect match for Ronnie's style of play. It's up to Ronnie to adapt his game if his natural game isn't working.

That's a fair point.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #9193 on: August 13, 2020, 08:11:14 pm »

Agreed,  i love the different styles of play, Selby would be getting hammered every match if tried to play like Ronnie does, & likewise if Ronnie tried to play like Selby.
#Sausages

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #9194 on: August 13, 2020, 08:49:52 pm »
McGill vs Wilson all square at 10 frames each at the mid session interval, can see this match going to a final frame decider.
#Sausages

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9195 on: August 13, 2020, 10:19:53 pm »
McGill is done. 15 frames now without a half century and Wilson pulling away. Expect Wilson to win the next one and wrap it up without much fuss tomorrow.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #9196 on: August 13, 2020, 10:24:13 pm »
McGill has just got a cracker of a pot start of the last frame of the session, must win frame for McGill.
#Sausages

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9197 on: August 13, 2020, 10:30:20 pm »
McGill is done. 15 frames now without a half century and Wilson pulling away. Expect Wilson to win the next one and wrap it up without much fuss tomorrow.

Of course McGill wins the next with a century  ;D
His first of the tournament in the semi final. Mad

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9198 on: August 13, 2020, 10:30:38 pm »

That's true. O'Sullivan and Selby are 2 of my favourite players to watch, I really enjoy their games. Both trying to make the game into a match that suits them and they invariably end up tight. Its not popular, but I really like Selby, I love the safety side of the game, it was always the stronger part of my snooker game when I used to play.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #9199 on: August 13, 2020, 10:30:44 pm »
McGill wins the last frame with a century break, & a great frame by him under the circumstances, Wilson leads 13-11
#Sausages