32 (25.4%)
Murphy
4 (3.2%)
Robertson
27 (21.4%)
Allen
9 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 126

Author Topic: The Snooker thread  (Read 638560 times)

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Snooker thread
« Reply #9120 on: August 12, 2020, 05:57:34 pm »
Imagine a Crucible final involving Anthony fucking McGill  :puke2

McGill vs Selby final I reckon. Exciting times.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9121 on: August 12, 2020, 06:03:39 pm »

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9122 on: August 12, 2020, 06:12:23 pm »

I bet the crowd will be gutted.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9123 on: August 12, 2020, 06:16:39 pm »

Couldn't watch that...No way!

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9124 on: August 12, 2020, 06:23:23 pm »
He is just too honest at times. We have become accustomed to media trained sportsmen trotting out the same platitudes. That blue he missed was an absolute shocker, and he didn't try and hide from it. His cue action is way more erratic than it used to be. As he said he is surviving because of his unbelievable cue ball control. Once in amongst the balls he is still a joy to behold.

As for the standards he is bang on the money. At his age his physical powers especially his eyesight should have faded to such a degree that he shouldn't be blowing away players. To put it in to perspective Hendry was 30 when he won his last World title. Davis was 31 when he won his last title at the Crucible. Ronnie is 44 and Mark Williams won it at the age of 43.

It reminds me of Tennis with the likes of Djokovic, Nadal and Federer still dominating way past their sell by date.

Ronnie has just said what everyone else has been thinking. McGill or Wilson in the final is a joke. Personally I think it is down to players being over coached from an early age. Snooker has created a load of clones with perfect techniques but very little feel or touch. Hopefully Trump kicks on and dominates.

I agree with you Al.  I bet Hendry wished he was still around during this period, as opposed to when he has Ronnie, Higgins, Williams etc. for company.  Probably would be on double figures by now.

The players coming through now are absolute shite compared to years gone by, worse than the "new" tennis crop I think.

No wonder all the oldies are still sticking around.

You'd be very surprised if the winner of the second semi doesn't have an easy win in the final.

BTW.  I pissed myself laughing when Ronnie said last night "don't we all love a semi" or something like that.  ;D

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #9125 on: August 12, 2020, 06:26:30 pm »
and yet despite all that, they all say that there are no easy games any more and the strength in depth is better than it possibly ever has been.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9126 on: August 12, 2020, 06:31:36 pm »
Problem is most of the young players these days don't understand how to play snooker, they just understand how to pot balls and make some breaks. How many of the new faces on the scene have a tactical game even worth mentioning? All the great players in the game know how to play safety, even O'Sullivan looks like Selby in comparison to the likes of Xiao Guodong when it comes to the tactics. Have to be a truly astounding potter to hold your own at the top table if you can't play a safety, Trump has only started winning relentlessly since he stopped going for everything he looked at.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9127 on: August 12, 2020, 06:36:30 pm »
Problem is most of the young players these days don't understand how to play snooker, they just understand how to pot balls and make some breaks. How many of the new faces on the scene have a tactical game even worth mentioning? All the great players in the game know how to play safety, even O'Sullivan looks like Selby in comparison to the likes of Xiao Guodong when it comes to the tactics. Have to be a truly astounding potter to hold your own at the top table if you can't play a safety, Trump has only started winning relentlessly since he stopped going for everything he looked at.

But you constantly slag off Selby??  I don't understand.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9128 on: August 12, 2020, 06:44:05 pm »
But you constantly slag off Selby??  I don't understand.

I slag him off because I don't like him and finding him incredibly boring, but I don't deny he's a great match player. Higgins, Williams, O'Sullivan, Robertson, Selby are all tactically outstanding. Some are just capable of winning without beating their opponent to death with it, even though they can do it.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 06:46:18 pm by Gerry Attrick »

Offline princeoftherocks

• Legacy Fan
  • black sheep scouse
« Reply #9129 on: August 12, 2020, 06:45:35 pm »
Should be a good semi-final this - A clash of personalities and styles.  Just hope ronnie can keep his concentration or else I fear selby will run away with it.
dios esta buena

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9130 on: August 12, 2020, 07:03:46 pm »
The only reason I'd like to see Selby beat Ronnie is that Hendry was my favourite player and don't want to see him beat his record.

Should be a cracking match whatever happens.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 07:06:45 pm by Red-Soldier »

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #9131 on: August 12, 2020, 07:07:57 pm »
The only reason I'd like to see Selby beat Ronnie is that Hendry was my favourite player and don't want to see him beat his record.

Should be a cracking match whatever happens.

beat it? he's miles off that.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #9132 on: August 12, 2020, 07:18:03 pm »
Ronnie has 5 world championship titles, Hendry has 7 world championship titles.
#Sausages

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9133 on: August 12, 2020, 07:26:48 pm »
I agree with you Al.  I bet Hendry wished he was still around during this period, as opposed to when he has Ronnie, Higgins, Williams etc. for company.  Probably would be on double figures by now.

I always think Jimmy White must be kicking himself watching snooker these days. Someone's going to get Anthony McGill in a final, and every time he got to one he had to play what was basically a perfect snooker playing robot.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #9134 on: August 12, 2020, 07:26:51 pm »
I slag him off because I don't like him and finding him incredibly boring, but I don't deny he's a great match player. Higgins, Williams, O'Sullivan, Robertson, Selby are all tactically outstanding. Some are just capable of winning without beating their opponent to death with it, even though they can do it.

O'Sullivan brought in Ray Reardon to tighten up his game. John Parrot brought in George Scott an old school Liverpool pro to do like wise. Stephen Hendry when he was coming through used to get tonked by Steve Davis tactically. His agent paid Davis stupid money for a series of exhibitions in Scotland.

By the end of it Hendry was holding his own. Higgins then practised with the likes of Hendry and McManus. Williams was mentored by Terry Griffiths. It is all about knowledge being passed down.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9135 on: August 12, 2020, 07:54:01 pm »
I always think Jimmy White must be kicking himself watching snooker these days. Someone's going to get Anthony McGill in a final, and every time he got to one he had to play what was basically a perfect snooker playing robot.

He fucked up the year he played Parrott in the final. I've no doubt if he'd have won that, he'd have got the better of Hendry in one or 2 if their finals.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #9136 on: August 12, 2020, 07:54:16 pm »
Ronnie has 5 world championship titles, Hendry has 7 world championship titles.

exactly. winning 3 (more) world titles is fucking hard.

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #9137 on: August 12, 2020, 07:57:31 pm »
Ronnie is losing the early safety exchanges but he keeps getting back in because Selby can't string 2 pots together.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9138 on: August 12, 2020, 08:00:45 pm »
Mad start. The kicks shouldn't be happening like this 2 and a half frames in

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9139 on: August 12, 2020, 08:07:25 pm »
O'Sullivan only needs one snooker but I don't think I'd bother trying. This is how you get bogged down against Selby.

Offline TAA66

• Kopite
  • Nobody grows up wanting to be a Gary Neville
« Reply #9140 on: August 12, 2020, 08:12:21 pm »
Ronnie s long potting has been impressive so far.  Not sure if anything will be done about all these kicks early on

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #9141 on: August 12, 2020, 08:15:41 pm »
Mad start. The kicks shouldn't be happening like this 2 and a half frames in

Humidity plays a huge part. The World championship is usually played in April. The tables have played slow all tournament. You have the table under the lights and a cold theatre with no people in it. It is more like a tournament in China than a normal crucible event.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9142 on: August 12, 2020, 08:20:20 pm »
Kicks aren't helping but it's not the highest standard.

Online TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9143 on: August 12, 2020, 08:24:20 pm »
Ronnie will be absolutely delighted to have edged the first mini-session despite being clearly unhappy with how he and the table are playing.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9144 on: August 12, 2020, 09:22:33 pm »
Selby playing better now...Come on Ronnie you deserve to lead into the next session.

Online TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9145 on: August 12, 2020, 09:26:14 pm »
The location of the reds in this frame is a Selby wet dream.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9146 on: August 12, 2020, 09:27:54 pm »
The location of the reds in this frame is a Selby wet dream.

Just thinking that. Could be an all time stinker ;D

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #9147 on: August 12, 2020, 09:56:26 pm »
Ronnie will want to lose this last frame and avoid the AWWYC 6-2 curse
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9148 on: August 12, 2020, 10:09:08 pm »
Should've been 6-2 but 5-3. Will give Selby a boost and I reckon he'll win the second session now.

Offline PatriotScouser

• Legacy Fan
  • I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
« Reply #9149 on: August 12, 2020, 10:21:11 pm »
Selby will be the happier of that two as it could easily have been 7-1 or 6-2.

Will that play on Ronnie's mind as Selby will only improve. I favoured Selby going into this and still think he is the slight favourite but the session tomorrow will go a long way to deciding the match. Both players capable of rattling of 3,4,5 frames in a row too.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9150 on: August 12, 2020, 10:29:39 pm »
Was turning into a Selby style game there. O'Sullivan will be happy the session ended when it did.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #9151 on: August 12, 2020, 11:28:43 pm »
Sums up playing against Selby. Against anyone else Ronnie is 6-2 or 7-1 up.

Ronnie needs to start well again and impose his game.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9152 on: August 13, 2020, 09:42:52 am »
I know you cannot take anything for granted in sport, but I woinder if either of them are thinking "win this, and I've got the title in the bag."

Offline Dan The Man 28373

• Legacy Fan
  • We Always win in Rome!!
« Reply #9153 on: August 13, 2020, 01:21:45 pm »
Wilson gets back to parity, a lot more fluid this morning, with 2 centuries & 3 other breaks of 70+  And usually won in 1 visit (McGill scored 0 points in 5 of the 8 frames & 4 points in another).

Interval came at bad time for Wilson, as he definitely had the upper hand.  But it's now a best of 17.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #9154 on: August 13, 2020, 02:18:00 pm »
What's Anthony McGill like?  Have barely heard him speak or anything.  Can't help but feel I want to nominate him for the 'irrational dislike' thread...

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #9155 on: August 13, 2020, 02:45:21 pm »
Selby, nails a great long red.....best play a safety here

Nails another great long red....best play a safety here

Ronnie mucks up an escape. Selby....best play a safety now
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9156 on: August 13, 2020, 02:49:34 pm »
Another horrible kick for Ronnie. The match very much picking up where it left off yesterday in this first frame.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #9157 on: August 13, 2020, 03:08:06 pm »
Love a good safety battle.

Offline Chavvie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9158 on: August 13, 2020, 03:11:50 pm »
Selby in again. Ronnies head will go soon 😆

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9159 on: August 13, 2020, 03:17:33 pm »
I really can’t stand Selby, he just sucks the life out of every frame with his boring Mourinho style tactics.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali