Author Topic: New laptop advice  (Read 171799 times)

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
Re: New laptop advice
« Reply #1080 on: September 26, 2023, 05:07:08 pm »
I wish I'd held on to my old PCs/laptops with Windows 98 or XP
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1081 on: September 27, 2023, 09:35:26 am »
What I mean is , if your current laptop lasts well. And you only get out the other laptop when it fails, it might well be only good for windows 11 as windows 12 comes out.

Possibly I'm being biased as I'm always being told I have too many laptops cluttering the place up. Admittedly some of those probably still have windows 95 on....

I really dislike windows 11, give me XP anyday.
As long as Microsoft dont do the apple trick and deliberately slow old stuff down I dont care about that.

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #1082 on: September 27, 2023, 09:53:51 am »
I really dislike windows 11, give me XP anyday.
As long as Microsoft dont do the apple trick and deliberately slow old stuff down I dont care about that.

Fair enough. Not really used 11 myself. I think I prefer win 10 to xp.
I don't know if it's still the case, but does Windows 11 still need the on chip security thing, which 'older' computers don't have.  I don't see you falling foul of that but that was what I was thinking when I mentioned obsolete.
Also £140 for a laptop. Bargain!
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1083 on: September 27, 2023, 10:04:59 am »
I don't know if it's still the case, but does Windows 11 still need the on chip security thing, which 'older' computers don't have.

Yeah it’s still the case, however at the Windows 11 setup screen where it tells you the PC isn’t compatible you can open up the Registry and put a string in to disable the check, refresh the setup then it will install.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1084 on: September 27, 2023, 10:51:28 am »
Yeah it’s still the case, however at the Windows 11 setup screen where it tells you the PC isn’t compatible you can open up the Registry and put a string in to disable the check, refresh the setup then it will install.

For someone who is technologically inept, I dont like the sound of this
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1085 on: September 27, 2023, 10:56:10 am »
Fair enough. Not really used 11 myself. I think I prefer win 10 to xp.
I don't know if it's still the case, but does Windows 11 still need the on chip security thing, which 'older' computers don't have.  I don't see you falling foul of that but that was what I was thinking when I mentioned obsolete.
Also £140 for a laptop. Bargain!

It was about £160 , I subtracted the cost of a charger.

Its quite low spec and a refurb.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1086 on: October 7, 2023, 08:38:16 pm »
looking at laptops for my nephew - he's got a budget of £400, he does play games but nothing too heavy (luckily) graphics wise, probably that roblox crap and watching youtube.

I've been looking at:

ASUS Laptop Vivobook 15 E1504GA 15.6" Full HD Laptop (Intel i3 8-Core Processor, 8GB RAM, 512GB PCIe SSD, Windows 11) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BZZ8C6WP/?tag=wtbarticle1504-21&th=1

Lenovo IdeaPad 1 15 inch Full HD Laptop - (AMD Ryzen 5-3500U, 8GB, 256GB SSD, Windows 11 Home in S mode) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Laptop-Ryzen-Windows/dp/B0BH8DMH1B/?tag=wtbarticle1504-21 - what is windows S mode??

ASUS Vivobook 15 X1500EA 15.6 Full HD Laptop (Intel i5-1135G7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Windows 11) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BMW1DF5G/?tag=wtbarticle1504-21&th=1

now, I've been buying macs for so long that all the specs could be written in fucking hieroglyhs so, which one of them looks best or is there a brand I can look at or particular one someone can recommend? ta me dears.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1087 on: October 8, 2023, 08:46:57 am »
looking at laptops for my nephew - he's got a budget of £400, he does play games but nothing too heavy (luckily) graphics wise, probably that roblox crap and watching youtube.

I've been looking at:

ASUS Laptop Vivobook 15 E1504GA 15.6" Full HD Laptop (Intel i3 8-Core Processor, 8GB RAM, 512GB PCIe SSD, Windows 11) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BZZ8C6WP/?tag=wtbarticle1504-21&th=1

Lenovo IdeaPad 1 15 inch Full HD Laptop - (AMD Ryzen 5-3500U, 8GB, 256GB SSD, Windows 11 Home in S mode) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Laptop-Ryzen-Windows/dp/B0BH8DMH1B/?tag=wtbarticle1504-21 - what is windows S mode??

ASUS Vivobook 15 X1500EA 15.6 Full HD Laptop (Intel i5-1135G7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Windows 11) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BMW1DF5G/?tag=wtbarticle1504-21&th=1

now, I've been buying macs for so long that all the specs could be written in fucking hieroglyhs so, which one of them looks best or is there a brand I can look at or particular one someone can recommend? ta me dears.

Windows S mode is basically a restricted version of windows where you can only install apps from their quite horrific App Store and use Edge as your browser, fortunately Microsoft make it easy to turn S mode off, just a matter of clicking a button.  It's perfectly safe to switch it off.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1088 on: October 8, 2023, 10:10:52 am »
The X1500EA would be my choice of the 3. I’d discount the Lenovo because they don’t have the build quality or reliability of the Asus in my experience.

Out of the two Asus models, the X1500EA uses the Intel Iris Xe graphics, which generally perform better than the Intel UHD in the E1504GA.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1089 on: October 8, 2023, 04:46:21 pm »
Cheers Graeme, now I deffo wouldn’t have spotted the screen stuff or the graphics card!

My other option is Dell, didn’t realise they did machines at this kind of price and cos I get the advantage discount from work it might mean a slightly better spec, will compare now I know what kind of thing be on the lookout for!