Author Topic: Tricks/Skills  (Read 13128 times)

Offline kingluisgarcia

• Legacy Fan
  • Twitter@MattWood23
    • JustAnotherFootballBlog
Re: Tricks/Skills
« Reply #80 on: March 7, 2010, 10:49:34 pm »
Tricks are shit and annoy me in the grass roots game. It's almost the Soccer AM generation coming through. Possession is lost by some knob trying to do something he's seen someone else do. And instead of apologising for being a prick by losing the ball, they reckon it's dead funny cos the trick didn't come off. I'm a miserable bastard. Anyway, I think tricks should be practiced in solitary...
This is the exact kind of attitude from the English coaches/youth systems that has meant a lack of any technical/skilfull players coming through. In other countries such as Spain and Brazil, technical and skilfull ability is encouraged while here it is frowned upon.

Offline afcgooner

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: March 7, 2010, 11:31:54 pm »
England can't win the World cup because they can't get through  a tournament without going to penalties.

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2011, 03:45:00 pm »
success = the absence of the fear of failure

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2011, 04:46:52 pm »
One thing that pisses me off is the number of dummied balls, where we simply lose possession and momentum.

Can't recall the number of times this season there's been a really great through ball for a forward and you just think "crack it" and then they run over it.... and there's none of our players either expecting it or in position to make anything of it. Or they try to make a pass that just blows the opportunity.

Some of the decision making is diablolical and infuriating at times.

87:13

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2011, 04:53:39 pm »
Think I remember it was Bob Paisley who, on seeing or hearing of some kid who could do ten billion keepie-uppies, he just called it "monkey tricks" and asked, pertinently, "but can he play football?"

87:13

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2011, 05:07:07 pm »
When I was 11 I was the goalkeeper for my school and we got to the final of the competition which was held at the Vetch Field at half time during Swansea City games....We were playing Townhill and they had a player who was known to us as a very good player. One of my team-mates' dads told me how good this player and that he could do over 1000 keepie-ups and that he always put his penalties in the corners (how he knew this I don't know).

Anyways, he steps up to take his first of 3 penalties and hits it straight at me - which I save easily. His second penalty he hits just left of centre and I save it again and the same happens with his third penalty. I fucking saved them all - his keepie-ups were fucking useless when it came to the game and we ended up winning and I was the hero....:D I will try and dig out the photos, scan them and upload them for you all to see (laugh at)
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2011, 05:08:52 pm »
This is the exact kind of attitude from the English coaches/youth systems that has meant a lack of any technical/skilfull players coming through. In other countries such as Spain and Brazil, technical and skilfull ability is encouraged while here it is frowned upon.
Yes but being able to do 1000 keepie-ups or all-around-the-worlds does not make you good at football otherwise all those freestylers would be playing top level football....
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline Elm0

• Main Stander
    • New Liverpool Blog:
« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2011, 05:09:06 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0Xzhnu9DVc&feature=related

pwhoar! thats what we want lads. look at the team spirit too. kings among men.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2011, 05:11:32 pm »
when i was a kid ,me and me mates were always getting bollocked off the neighbours for breaking the flower heads off the roses .
i would be in the street with me mates playing two a side, three aside ......ten a side using the little street signs as the goal posts.
we're probably talking a pitch area of about 100 sq m square but small enough to get hundreds of touches on the ball a night.it was intense.the steam would be rising from yer head at about 10 /11 oclock at night in the winter ,and it would never, ever be too cold.
we used to love it that much.
This is were we learnt our skills.In the street.Egging each other on to try a new trick in between games.
we used to play keepy up competitions.Some used to drag on so long that yer eyes went funny.
thers always one smart arse who learns a system that ....well wins without showing any flare.
you know ,the one with the dead straight leg technique where the ball just seems to rise about half an inch of the end of the toe and the leg doesnt bend.
some poor so and so  has to watch it all night and do the counting.....1000...1000 and one .....two  ...three you know the one....ralph if youre reading this ,youre a right ....bleep... ;)

Anyway it got me into thinking that you dont see too much of this now a days.
i worry about the lack of skills and tricks the present day kids are going to have in the future.
liverpool fans in particular!!!!!!!!!!

i know the web is full of amazing clips of tricks and stuff but i thought it would be a great idea if there was a thread that the young kids who come on here can source easily....and learn the odd trick or two that could be used in a game situation and heh....who knows...might win us something speacial one day.

so here goes

for starters ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOK0nUpAdMI

would love to see some of you lot sticking some of youre own efforts on herefor a laugh too....i dare yer?

Same for me, brings back the memories alright.

I remember when me mates werent around just banging the ball off the wall, practising my control, practising volleys etc.

Its a different world now for kids......and not for the better.

Chatting to guy cutting my hair the other day.  Tells me he had this young kid in (about 9 or 10yrs old).  Chatting away to him.  The barber asks the kid if he likes playing football.  The kid says 'yes, I play it on my playstation all the time.....'

Sums it up.........

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2011, 05:40:46 pm »
Just been down the pitches on Breckside Park and had a kick about with my little brother and there was a few kids there about his age and a lad about 17.

The kids are doing training now and some of the skill you see them doing is class, nutmegs, round the back of the legs to beat a man, back-heeled flicks, and these are kids who are only 10-12 year olds.

They are being taught to play football but allowed free reign to do what they want on the ball as part of a team, and IMO, its something that shouldn't be drilled out of them if they get into a semi-pro/pro team because it works and it really helps them enjoy the game if they know they can play how they want, and learn how to play football along the way.

There really should be some Liverpool based scouts that go around on a saturday and sunday afternoon just looking for the next scouse star, because there are loads of lads who have a very good footballing brain but will never be allowed to prove it because they can't get scouted/get into a team.

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2011, 05:47:15 pm »
It's the total opposite Jay Mc. Children today have reasonable technical ability but lack the tactical development. I know what sounds difficult to coach to children, but ten years ago they understood the option of playing the correct pass, dribble, turn, shot, cross etc. Due to the 'FIFA Street' generation they believe every goal should be an individual beating three players then chipping the goalkeeper. Team goals aren't as appreciated as they once were.

One kid I know, playing for Oldham and the County FA. He's the best prospect I've seen. Because he understands the work rate needed to develop and the off ball activities are as important as the on ball exercises.

Which brings me to how kids develop, majority through images. If they only see football on the TV then they won't see team movement and pressing. Liverpool need to help create the 'boys pen' so they can get to see 'real' football. That's my master plan :)

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2011, 05:51:37 pm »
It's the total opposite Jay Mc. Children today have reasonable technical ability but lack the tactical development. I know what sounds difficult to coach to children, but ten years ago they understood the option of playing the correct pass, dribble, turn, shot, cross etc. Due to the 'FIFA Street' generation they believe every goal should be an individual beating three players then chipping the goalkeeper. Team goals aren't as appreciated as they once were.

One kid I know, playing for Oldham and the County FA. He's the best prospect I've seen. Because he understands the work rate needed to develop and the off ball activities are as important as the on ball exercises.

Which brings me to how kids develop, majority through images. If they only see football on the TV then they won't see team movement and pressing. Liverpool need to help create the 'boys pen' so they can get to see 'real' football. That's my master plan :)

That's the thing though mate, the coaches I saw before WERE teaching them when to play the right pass, not to panic under pressure and simply lay it off to the closest man, not to be scared to have a crack at goal if there's an opening but not to be scared to pass it for a team mate to have a go.

They are being trained in tactical development, but not so much as to completely change the way they play the game.

You see if now with some of our younger players, Suso being a prime example, he knows how to beat a man, when to play a pass, when to keep it simple but he's also kept his ability to do the tricks and skills, its the way it should be IMO.

Let the kids have free reign to try tricks and skills instead of drilling it out of them but teach them about the tactical approach aswell so that they know what to do in a pressure situation.

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2011, 05:56:24 pm »
That's the thing though mate, the coaches I saw before WERE teaching them when to play the right pass, not to panic under pressure and simply lay it off to the closest man, not to be scared to have a crack at goal if there's an opening but not to be scared to pass it for a team mate to have a go.

They are being trained in tactical development, but not so much as to completely change the way they play the game.

You see if now with some of our younger players, Suso being a prime example, he knows how to beat a man, when to play a pass, when to keep it simple but he's also kept his ability to do the tricks and skills, its the way it should be IMO.

Let the kids have free reign to try tricks and skills instead of drilling it out of them but teach them about the tactical approach aswell so that they know what to do in a pressure situation.

That's brilliant to hear mate. Glad to hear some kids receiving real coaching for a change instead of a shouting at. Also giving the kids instructions is the worst thing to do. They need to develop the knowledge them selves. Look at RoyHendo's article on Villas Boas and guided discovery. Seems like he mastered this technique and is why he is good for developing majority of players he trains.

The confidence part is important. The kids need to be encouraged to dribble, turn, long pass, shoot. However if it doesn't come off first time they need to be able to do it again, but consider why is never worked first time.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2011, 06:02:57 pm »
That's brilliant to hear mate. Glad to hear some kids receiving real coaching for a change instead of a shouting at. Also giving the kids instructions is the worst thing to do. They need to develop the knowledge them selves. Look at RoyHendo's article on Villas Boas and guided discovery. Seems like he mastered this technique and is why he is good for developing majority of players he trains.

The confidence part is important. The kids need to be encouraged to dribble, turn, long pass, shoot. However if it doesn't come off first time they need to be able to do it again, but consider why is never worked first time.

It was more like, "here's what you should do, now show me how you'd do it" to be honest.

Watched them in a few drills and the first was pass, turn and shoot but the coaches were encouraging them to try the little nutmeg through their own legs to control it and blast it into the net as its remarkably quicker than stopping it, turning and having a shot. You see Torres doing it a lot of the time.

There was one kid there who must have been no older than 7 who was controlling it on his chest, turning, chipping it over himself with his outside foot then smashing it in and the coach encouraged him to do it but also told him to be careful not to over do it.

That's what I'm trying to say mate, let the kids have free reign, but teach them how to make the right decision. The kid tried it again on his next turn but this time, he chested it, turned and volleyed it in instead of the flick. He's still got that level of control and is still encouraged to use his ability, but also has been given the option of what to do and no doubt he'll learn which works better in future on his own, which will only help his development.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2011, 06:03:25 pm »
England can't win the World cup because they can't get through  a tournament without going to penalties.

England can't win the World Cup because their players are fucking shite.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Walk on, walk on

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll never walk alone.
« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2011, 06:09:39 pm »

Cue swedenred.
Liverpool don't turn up against shit teams so Wenger picks the shittest line up possible.
The man is a genius!

Offline AJ4Seven

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2011, 06:12:28 pm »

That's slightly harsh, they can't win the WC because there are no decent DM( Barry is too slow to cover a midfield on his own, & Hargreaves is never going to be fit), all the top teams (Spurs aside) don't play a particularly "English" way of playing & the lack of a winter break.

Offline Elm0

• Main Stander
    • New Liverpool Blog:
« Reply #97 on: January 13, 2011, 06:22:15 pm »
they cant win it because they have too much self interest.

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2011, 06:42:44 pm »
Kids in this country are taught to win before they are taught to play.
Militant Internet Terrorist.

Offline talklfc

• Anny Roader
« Reply #99 on: January 13, 2011, 06:45:29 pm »
when i was a kid ,me and me mates were always getting bollocked off the neighbours for breaking the flower heads off the roses .
i would be in the street with me mates playing two a side, three aside ......ten a side using the little street signs as the goal posts.
we're probably talking a pitch area of about 100 sq m square but small enough to get hundreds of touches on the ball a night.it was intense.the steam would be rising from yer head at about 10 /11 oclock at night in the winter ,and it would never, ever be too cold.
we used to love it that much.
This is were we learnt our skills.In the street.Egging each other on to try a new trick in between games.
we used to play keepy up competitions.Some used to drag on so long that yer eyes went funny.
thers always one smart arse who learns a system that ....well wins without showing any flare.
you know ,the one with the dead straight leg technique where the ball just seems to rise about half an inch of the end of the toe and the leg doesnt bend.
some poor so and so  has to watch it all night and do the counting.....1000...1000 and one .....two  ...three you know the one....ralph if youre reading this ,youre a right ....bleep... ;)

Anyway it got me into thinking that you dont see too much of this now a days.
i worry about the lack of skills and tricks the present day kids are going to have in the future.
liverpool fans in particular!!!!!!!!!!

i know the web is full of amazing clips of tricks and stuff but i thought it would be a great idea if there was a thread that the young kids who come on here can source easily....and learn the odd trick or two that could be used in a game situation and heh....who knows...might win us something speacial one day.

so here goes

for starters ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOK0nUpAdMI

would love to see some of you lot sticking some of youre own efforts on herefor a laugh too....i dare yer?

Hark at him growing up in a street with roses in. I bet you had grapes in the house with nobody even sick :)

Vid has been removed :(

Offline noblet10

• Main Stander
    • Streetsoccer USA
« Reply #100 on: January 13, 2011, 10:14:16 pm »
Learning skills as a youth player is absolutely a necessity. If you do not have good technique, it will be extremely difficult to make it to higher levels of football. This anti-tricks/skills attitude is silly, especially in pick-up games. At the youth levels kids should be encouraged to try things and practice their skills. When they are older and more experienced, they will learn to understand when and when not to used certain skills. Yes, I 100% agree that it is annoying to play with someone who thinks they need to do a trick everytime they get the ball, but this is typically more of a case of someone who doesn't possess really good technique. This person is just someone who thinks they are good, but the reality is they are a bad player or extremely average at best. I think it's a great thing for kids to try to learn as many tricks as the possibly can, even ones without any real game use. Obviously the ones with game use are more important than the ones without game use, but all of them will make you more comfortable and capable on the ball. True technical ability is something that has been lacking in the English game in many recent years, and if England ever wants to start producing players good enough to win a World Cup, an emphasis on technical skills needs to be made. As far as I'm concerned, Liverpool are actually one of the better clubs for having an emphasis on technique with it's youth players. Most of our academy players are at least confident on the ball in the fundamental techniques.  The technical emphasis I do believe is making a comeback through the internet. Streetsoccer and freestyle videos have caused interest to rise in it tremendously. Another thing that can be done is have the youth play more futsal. Futsal is a much more technical version of football. To play futsal at a high level, you must learn good technique. I'm going to leave a few videos some of myself and some others to demonstrate what I mean.

Just a freestyle video, but good techniques like this will make basic fundamental techniques in games easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNiiSE-_xto

A tutorial series I've done. This is a move that can be used to beat a defender. I demonstrate one way to beat a defender around a pole in the video. I've used this in several futsal games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW922bolWWk

Here is a highlight video of two of the top futsal players in Holland, Issy Hitman and Edward Van Gils.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsqZjFLQdQI
DETROIT WAZA FLO PRO/ Streetsoccer USA

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2011, 03:02:35 am »
its all about balance isnt it?....need it to do all these tricks and skills.....but you need to have the right balance of knowing when to use it and when not to.
much prefer to have a group of players who were capable of the sublime,than not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PCrrJLZnVc
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 03:07:51 am by horne »

Offline noblet10

• Main Stander
    • Streetsoccer USA
« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2011, 05:52:41 am »
Balance is a part of it, but definitely not all of it. You must have good balance to be good at sports period. I you didn't you would fall down when you change directions to sharply and would trip over your own feet when dribbling. The most important thing is to be able to control the ball, not the ball control you. You need to learn how to use the correct surfaces of your body and with the correct technique and strength to make the ball go where you want it to go, so you do not have to chase the ball. 90% of the tricks are do are based on that. The touches I make are going exactly where I want it to go, so I don't react to the ball, the ball reacts to me.  Funny commercial there. The other guys doing the footy tricks, than just boom. He stands there thinking he's cool. Too bad that's actually how many people think of tricks. They think you don't need that, just practice shooting.  I can do all those tricks in the video easily. There not that difficult. You would need just a week to a month of actually practicing them to get them.  You are right about rather having players capable of amazing than players who aren't. The difference between most good players and the great players is exactly that. A good player can do all the basic things pretty well, but sometimes can be predictable. A great player is capable of that little moment of brilliance to catch a defender off guard. Not everyone can do this, and it is the hardest thing in football to have the ability and know when to do this. There are players who are capable of brilliant touches, but seem to not do basic passes well half of the time. This is typically a player who is technically very good, but doesn't play very smart. Youth soccer should be about teaching the kids technique. If all the kids learn technique, you will find the ones who are smart enough to use it to effect. Now we have to just find players.

Offline Marko B

• Legacy Fan
  • Ray Osbourne RIP
« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2011, 06:31:59 am »

Not really, being against tricks doesn't necessarily mean a lack of technical ability or skill.

Being a child of a structured youth system with many coaches being either English or of the more 'English' school I was always taught to play the more route-one style of play needing athletes - obviously as a kid I didn't think but now I realise this was a rubbish way for both myself and other kids my age to develop and probably was the major stumbling block in holding back those with the athleticism, touch and mentality to make it had they had a better schooling and a better ingrained 'football intelligence' at the formative ages.

On the complete other hand, there have been a host of immigrants from various parts of Africa entering into our local leagues over the past few years, many of who have come over as refugees and never played under any sort of system back in the old country apart from the old kick about and try tricks style. Apart from the rare prodigy, they are largely unable to adapt to playing a team game on a full size pitch. They for the most part have amazing skills, many have amazing athletic ability however when it comes to having the game intelligence to retain possession, make movement, apply skill at the appropriate times etc they are for the most part extremely poor. In short such an upbringing on the whole seems to have created a poorer 11 v 11 full pitch player than the first upbringing.

Now of course this isn't absolute and there are exceptions to both cases but what I am trying to say is that neither approach really creates, on the whole, a complete player. It is only those rare prodigies who seem to succeed from either school. In my opinion the key to creating the best footballers lies in neither the encouragement of 'tricks' and skill in such a matter, nor does it come from a more 'sterile' school of play but instead from structuring a young footballers upbringing around possession which in turn builds intelligence, movement and not only technical ability but also skill in an effective and useful manner. It is this mentality which is the most important attribute a young player should learn, greater than tricks and greater than vast structure because any player with the mental advantage can overcome either skill or athletic deficits.
Quote from: Rafa Benitez
“I was not fighting for the power. I didn’t need more power. I was fighting for the future of the club.”

Offline noblet10

• Main Stander
    • Streetsoccer USA
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2011, 07:10:54 am »
Not really, being against tricks doesn't necessarily mean a lack of technical ability or skill.

Being a child of a structured youth system with many coaches being either English or of the more 'English' school I was always taught to play the more route-one style of play needing athletes - obviously as a kid I didn't think but now I realise this was a rubbish way for both myself and other kids my age to develop and probably was the major stumbling block in holding back those with the athleticism, touch and mentality to make it had they had a better schooling and a better ingrained 'football intelligence' at the formative ages.

On the complete other hand, there have been a host of immigrants from various parts of Africa entering into our local leagues over the past few years, many of who have come over as refugees and never played under any sort of system back in the old country apart from the old kick about and try tricks style. Apart from the rare prodigy, they are largely unable to adapt to playing a team game on a full size pitch. They for the most part have amazing skills, many have amazing athletic ability however when it comes to having the game intelligence to retain possession, make movement, apply skill at the appropriate times etc they are for the most part extremely poor. In short such an upbringing on the whole seems to have created a poorer 11 v 11 full pitch player than the first upbringing.

Now of course this isn't absolute and there are exceptions to both cases but what I am trying to say is that neither approach really creates, on the whole, a complete player. It is only those rare prodigies who seem to succeed from either school. In my opinion the key to creating the best footballers lies in neither the encouragement of 'tricks' and skill in such a matter, nor does it come from a more 'sterile' school of play but instead from structuring a young footballers upbringing around possession which in turn builds intelligence, movement and not only technical ability but also skill in an effective and useful manner. It is this mentality which is the most important attribute a young player should learn, greater than tricks and greater than vast structure because any player with the mental advantage can overcome either skill or athletic deficits.

You are arguing a completely different subject really. For me, a footballer's attributes can be simplified to 3 different factors: 1. athleticism 2. technique 3. intelligence.

Now, most people who play in England like in your schools only rely on the athleticism. They play the very direct form of football that makes being faster and stronger a requirement. It's basically attempting to beat the opposing team with superior athleticism alone. Yes, these teams are many times more organized than the immigrant teams that you mentioned, but that doesn't make them more intelligent players. It just means they have a coach. They are actually just as or more unintelligent when it comes to football, because they call only play long balls to look to run onto.  You mentioned the immigrants as being technically fairly good, but not organized or intelligent. Well, they obviously aren't organized, because they have never played organized football like you said. You need to play organized football to understand things like that. That wouldn't completely mean they are unintelligent, it just means that they are not familiar with the systems often used by teams. Most of them play small sided games which encourages good technical play and quick thinking, so out of the ones that genuinely have good technique(most of them don't in reality, they just know a few tricks) they actually have at least a basic footballing intelligence. The freedom of play allows them to learn at least attacking aspects of the game mentally. 

Now, back to the three main aspects. The importance of them is different in some cultures, but there is one of them that is top in all.  A good sum up of it would be 1.athleticism 25% 2. technique 25% 3. intelligence 50%.  Intelligence is by far the most important aspect of football, and it's probably the hardest to teach a player. The best way to become a more intelligent footballer is to play with players who understand the game better than you. You should make your decisions in a similar fashion as they do. That is real football intelligence. Organization isn't really football intelligence. That is listening to what your coach says. Unless there is just a mental block or a language problem, these immigrants could learn to play in a system just like the English school players. The biggest problem is the clash of styles, not them not understanding the game. The English school players are just the majority, so obviously they point the finger at the minority. The immigrant player is probably thinking, "Why do they always kick it long? Why can't they just pass it to my feet?" In reality, both are probably partly wrong.

For me technique is far more important than athleticism. If I play smart, I can make the ball do the work for me.  Athleticism is obviously a necessity at the highest levels, but that's because the overall ability is also so much higher. I also think youth players should start out playing smaller sided games to learn technique and basic attacking intelligence. They will learn basic passing patterns and runs through this style of game. Than at older ages move them to the 11 v 11 game to learn the full game. I will also tell you that many high level players would enjoy playing in smaller sided games to 11 v 11 games. 11 v 11 benefits the fans more than anyone. It is much better overall watching full-sided football than small sided. Small sided is often better for players, because they are more involved in the game. Their role is more important, and they obviously get more touches.

Offline Marko B

• Legacy Fan
  • Ray Osbourne RIP
« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2011, 01:15:23 pm »
Yes, these teams are many times more organized than the immigrant teams that you mentioned, but that doesn't make them more intelligent players.
I disagree, although the basics of a more English system taught are extremely rudimentary, even being a part of such a system at a formative age is vital to building a semblance game intelligence. The fact that the majority of the immigrant players who I have played with and have struggled entirely to adapt to a more team based approach seems to give credence to this. The main thing I have found which best describes the difference between the two different upbringings in footballs is that while the more English system is extremely basic and focuses more on athleticism, it still focuses on the team first and foremost whilst the immigrant school of thought seems to be more individually based. Like I said, skill wise and technically, as well as athletically, there are some fantastic players, it just so happens that when it comes to playing in and as a team they appear lost.

They are actually just as or more unintelligent when it comes to football, because they call only play long balls to look to run onto.  You mentioned the immigrants as being technically fairly good, but not organized or intelligent. Well, they obviously aren't organized, because they have never played organized football like you said. You need to play organized football to understand things like that. That wouldn't completely mean they are unintelligent, it just means that they are not familiar with the systems often used by teams. Most of them play small sided games which encourages good technical play and quick thinking, so out of the ones that genuinely have good technique(most of them don't in reality, they just know a few tricks) they actually have at least a basic footballing intelligence. The freedom of play allows them to learn at least attacking aspects of the game mentally.

Once again, I disagree.

The basic point I was making was that even spending your formative years playing and being schooled in a regressive, more rudimentary system of play is in this case producing far finer footballers who are more adept at team play. The difficulty of technically very good players with great skill (not just a couple of fancy tricks) to adapt to playing a team game seems to, once again, give credence to the argument that it is better to have a more organised if rigid upbringing in terms of football than a more kickabout/tricks based one. Obviously, I am not saying this is ideal, far from it but in my opinion it is the lesser of two evils in terms of the optimum football upbringing for a youngster.

As for being unintelligent footballers, I do stand by it. It's not meant as a criticism of them at all but sadly when one misses their formative years being schooled in at least the basics of team football and possession of the ball then it is likely the only result or will be extremely difficult to overcome. The same comparison can be made between the more 'English' upbringing of young players and for instance the 'Spanish' style system where possession is the key aspect in youth development. Any person who is schooled in the former will have a near impossible time in adapting to the latter later on. It is largely what players learn in these formative years which shapes the player they will become.

Now, back to the three main aspects. The importance of them is different in some cultures, but there is one of them that is top in all.  A good sum up of it would be 1.athleticism 25% 2. technique 25% 3. intelligence 50%.  Intelligence is by far the most important aspect of football, and it's probably the hardest to teach a player. The best way to become a more intelligent footballer is to play with players who understand the game better than you. You should make your decisions in a similar fashion as they do. That is real football intelligence.
Agreed, although as I said above this intelligence must be developed while a player is still young. They need to understand the basics of possession in terms of movement and thought and the early these are developed the more they will be built on in years to come.

Organization isn't really football intelligence. That is listening to what your coach says. Unless there is just a mental block or a language problem, these immigrants could learn to play in a system just like the English school players. The biggest problem is the clash of styles, not them not understanding the game. The English school players are just the majority, so obviously they point the finger at the minority. The immigrant player is probably thinking, "Why do they always kick it long? Why can't they just pass it to my feet?" In reality, both are probably partly wrong.
Of course organisation isn't intelligence, that wasn't my point at all but what was my point is that even an upbringing in a poor organised system is superior to being brought up in an unorganised environment where the focus is on skill and being technically very good with a football but completely lacking game intelligence or even the basics of playing a team based possession game.

My thoughts on this are based on more than just kids in the playground having a kick like your example. In my opinion it is irrelevant whether it is an new immigrant or even when I have played with or watched 18-22 year olds who have been in the country for a number of years they genuinely struggle to play to a team game and not just a team game based around basic tactics - many teams from my area attempt to play a possession based passing game (the fact that is is played quite poorly largely due to our own upbringing during our formative years is by the by). I'm not talking about balls hoofed to run onto here - they genuinely struggle with playing a team game - their movement and knowing when to pass or dribble is on the whole absolutely atrocious and the amount of times when playing with them you tear your hair out at there being no pass, or them being caught dribbling when the pass was the correct option or simply not knowing where to move to receive a pass or give an option is countless. And this we are talking about from players who themselves have had an extremely lacking upbringing in such aspects. The thing is that if they weren't so technically good with the football and didn't have the skills they do you would simply write them off as being terrible footballers however the thing is they aren't individually they are excellent however when it comes to playing as a team they are largely poor. My point more lies at the heart that even a poor organised system is a better school as it still has some emphasis on playing football as a team rather than an unstructured system which focuses on the individual at the expense of both football intelligence and therefore playing a football in a team environment. As we both agree, intelligence is by far the most important attribute for a footballer and if this is built then players can largely overcome deficiencies elsewhere however in situations where the requisite game intelligence was not imparted at an early age it is extremely difficult to adapt even technically very good and very skillful players to the necessities of a team based game of football. It seems there is the same gulf between the immigrants and our own upbringing as there is to say the English to the Spanish or many other European nations (albeit all slightly differently) in terms of the later effects of the differences in the basics taught.

I also think youth players should start out playing smaller sided games to learn technique and basic attacking intelligence. They will learn basic passing patterns and runs through this style of game. Than at older ages move them to the 11 v 11 game to learn the full game. I will also tell you that many high level players would enjoy playing in smaller sided games to 11 v 11 games. 11 v 11 benefits the fans more than anyone. It is much better overall watching full-sided football than small sided. Small sided is often better for players, because they are more involved in the game. Their role is more important, and they obviously get more touches.
I fully agree with this but it seems for different reasons from yourself. You seem to emphasise technique being the main thing imparted whereas in my view it is only the secondary benefit. The basics of passing, movement and possession are for me the key and cornerstone aspects which must be learnt and built on. It is this basic building block where the building of an inherent second nature in a player can form and change the type of player from a young age for the rest of their life. In order to emphasise this I remember reading that in these small sided games the removal of goals and the focus on keeping the ball was a key element - like I keep mentioning it needs to be well structured to ensure such a focus as small sided games can lose such an emphasis and the net benefits lost (for example I remember myself being a chubby kid with a poor touch who in games such as that used to focus on being able to overcome this by having a good shot and being able to score - I completely missed the benefits and the point of it).
Quote from: Rafa Benitez
“I was not fighting for the power. I didn’t need more power. I was fighting for the future of the club.”

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
« Reply #106 on: January 14, 2011, 02:52:20 pm »
You are arguing a completely different subject really. For me, a footballer's attributes can be simplified to 3 different factors: 1. athleticism 2. technique 3. intelligence.

Now, most people who play in England like in your schools only rely on the athleticism. They play the very direct form of football that makes being faster and stronger a requirement. It's basically attempting to beat the opposing team with superior athleticism alone. Yes, these teams are many times more organized than the immigrant teams that you mentioned, but that doesn't make them more intelligent players. It just means they have a coach. They are actually just as or more unintelligent when it comes to football, because they call only play long balls to look to run onto.  You mentioned the immigrants as being technically fairly good, but not organized or intelligent. Well, they obviously aren't organized, because they have never played organized football like you said. You need to play organized football to understand things like that. That wouldn't completely mean they are unintelligent, it just means that they are not familiar with the systems often used by teams. Most of them play small sided games which encourages good technical play and quick thinking, so out of the ones that genuinely have good technique(most of them don't in reality, they just know a few tricks) they actually have at least a basic footballing intelligence. The freedom of play allows them to learn at least attacking aspects of the game mentally. 

Now, back to the three main aspects. The importance of them is different in some cultures, but there is one of them that is top in all.  A good sum up of it would be 1.athleticism 25% 2. technique 25% 3. intelligence 50%.  Intelligence is by far the most important aspect of football, and it's probably the hardest to teach a player. The best way to become a more intelligent footballer is to play with players who understand the game better than you. You should make your decisions in a similar fashion as they do. That is real football intelligence. Organization isn't really football intelligence. That is listening to what your coach says. Unless there is just a mental block or a language problem, these immigrants could learn to play in a system just like the English school players. The biggest problem is the clash of styles, not them not understanding the game. The English school players are just the majority, so obviously they point the finger at the minority. The immigrant player is probably thinking, "Why do they always kick it long? Why can't they just pass it to my feet?" In reality, both are probably partly wrong.

For me technique is far more important than athleticism. If I play smart, I can make the ball do the work for me.  Athleticism is obviously a necessity at the highest levels, but that's because the overall ability is also so much higher. I also think youth players should start out playing smaller sided games to learn technique and basic attacking intelligence. They will learn basic passing patterns and runs through this style of game. Than at older ages move them to the 11 v 11 game to learn the full game. I will also tell you that many high level players would enjoy playing in smaller sided games to 11 v 11 games. 11 v 11 benefits the fans more than anyone. It is much better overall watching full-sided football than small sided. Small sided is often better for players, because they are more involved in the game. Their role is more important, and they obviously get more touches.
Mate i think you have this spot on.
I agree with you totally.
Its been like pissing into the wind in this country for at least the last 40 years trying to convince people that we can be a technically gifted footballing nation if we would believe it and go out and practice these technical skills.
Unfortunately the louder voice was to deny this and encourage us to  be a more aggressive footballing nation.
Winning only one world cup in all these years suggests to me that somehow the louder voice got it wrong.

i also think you can add 1 more to the group of 3 requirements.
Its probably the littlest known about but plays a massive part in sport without realy realising it.
Thats the psychological part!
I would love to see liverpool bringing in some top sports psychologists who utilise the modern day techniques of hypnosis etc.
There is no doubting the fact that when a player loses focus due to a mental issue(wife leaves him,player gets caught cheating ,drug problem drink problem or in the case of stan collymore,walking the dog ...without the dog ..lol) ,
then their game is effected big time.
rooney and terry ,lampard to name a few are living proof as to how the teams effectiveness drops when these issues are around.
When the players arent performing, i will bet anyone that the core of the problem will be psychological.

Offline MULLENEDWINE

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: January 14, 2011, 03:01:33 pm »
dont try this at home kids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnNB2FRtctI

All I can think about when I see these freestyle footballers is seal's, seal's with longer limbs. Fair play to him if he can make a living out it and that, but I just don't see the point lol.

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
« Reply #108 on: January 14, 2011, 03:06:35 pm »
All I can think about when I see these freestyle footballers is seal's, seal's with longer limbs. Fair play to him if he can make a living out it and that, but I just don't see the point lol.
HOOOF!...lol

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
« Reply #109 on: January 14, 2011, 03:08:57 pm »

Offline Bartonius

• Kemlynite
  • Istanbul 25/05/05 - The best day of my life
« Reply #110 on: January 14, 2011, 03:41:14 pm »
Tricks or moves to beat players with??
Anyway, I encourage all our kids to use their imagination to beat a man.

Fast forward to 1.58 - I taught him that!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX5BFDgiK50&feature=player_embedded#!

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
« Reply #111 on: January 14, 2011, 03:49:02 pm »
Tricks or moves to beat players with??
Anyway, I encourage all our kids to use their imagination to beat a man.

Fast forward to 1.58 - I taught him that!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX5BFDgiK50&feature=player_embedded#!
I think their keeper should have had a player on each post....for the whole match...lol...what was the score?

Offline tomtom

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: January 14, 2011, 04:14:54 pm »
In regards to the original post and what I think he was saying; there's nothing wrong with having a laugh during a kick about is there? Granted if someone tries something daft in a game they look a right spanner so unless your 100% certain you can pull it off (and it actually gains you some advantage - I can't stand players doing things that serve no purpose), then don't do it, you'll look a fool.

There's video's all over youtube of this bloke who by the looks of it must be into his martial arts as his leg / foot speed is scary;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z28AfwcwuDQ (Wait for the Asian guy)

Search for Tsatsulow on youtube... incredible stuff.

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
« Reply #113 on: January 14, 2011, 04:35:13 pm »
hes good

Offline Bartonius

• Kemlynite
  • Istanbul 25/05/05 - The best day of my life
« Reply #114 on: January 14, 2011, 05:40:29 pm »
I think their keeper should have had a player on each post....for the whole match...lol...what was the score?

stopped the match at 12-0 . Not fair on the other team!

Point is there is a difference between 'tricks' and 'moves to beat a man'

Tricks are a great way to improve touch and confidence in young players.

Offline noblet10

• Main Stander
    • Streetsoccer USA
« Reply #115 on: January 14, 2011, 05:50:10 pm »
I disagree, although the basics of a more English system taught are extremely rudimentary, even being a part of such a system at a formative age is vital to building a semblance game intelligence. The fact that the majority of the immigrant players who I have played with and have struggled entirely to adapt to a more team based approach seems to give credence to this. The main thing I have found which best describes the difference between the two different upbringings in footballs is that while the more English system is extremely basic and focuses more on athleticism, it still focuses on the team first and foremost whilst the immigrant school of thought seems to be more individually based. Like I said, skill wise and technically, as well as athletically, there are some fantastic players, it just so happens that when it comes to playing in and as a team they appear lost.

Once again, I disagree.

The basic point I was making was that even spending your formative years playing and being schooled in a regressive, more rudimentary system of play is in this case producing far finer footballers who are more adept at team play. The difficulty of technically very good players with great skill (not just a couple of fancy tricks) to adapt to playing a team game seems to, once again, give credence to the argument that it is better to have a more organised if rigid upbringing in terms of football than a more kickabout/tricks based one. Obviously, I am not saying this is ideal, far from it but in my opinion it is the lesser of two evils in terms of the optimum football upbringing for a youngster.

As for being unintelligent footballers, I do stand by it. It's not meant as a criticism of them at all but sadly when one misses their formative years being schooled in at least the basics of team football and possession of the ball then it is likely the only result or will be extremely difficult to overcome. The same comparison can be made between the more 'English' upbringing of young players and for instance the 'Spanish' style system where possession is the key aspect in youth development. Any person who is schooled in the former will have a near impossible time in adapting to the latter later on. It is largely what players learn in these formative years which shapes the player they will become.
Agreed, although as I said above this intelligence must be developed while a player is still young. They need to understand the basics of possession in terms of movement and thought and the early these are developed the more they will be built on in years to come.
Of course organisation isn't intelligence, that wasn't my point at all but what was my point is that even an upbringing in a poor organised system is superior to being brought up in an unorganised environment where the focus is on skill and being technically very good with a football but completely lacking game intelligence or even the basics of playing a team based possession game.

My thoughts on this are based on more than just kids in the playground having a kick like your example. In my opinion it is irrelevant whether it is an new immigrant or even when I have played with or watched 18-22 year olds who have been in the country for a number of years they genuinely struggle to play to a team game and not just a team game based around basic tactics - many teams from my area attempt to play a possession based passing game (the fact that is is played quite poorly largely due to our own upbringing during our formative years is by the by). I'm not talking about balls hoofed to run onto here - they genuinely struggle with playing a team game - their movement and knowing when to pass or dribble is on the whole absolutely atrocious and the amount of times when playing with them you tear your hair out at there being no pass, or them being caught dribbling when the pass was the correct option or simply not knowing where to move to receive a pass or give an option is countless. And this we are talking about from players who themselves have had an extremely lacking upbringing in such aspects. The thing is that if they weren't so technically good with the football and didn't have the skills they do you would simply write them off as being terrible footballers however the thing is they aren't individually they are excellent however when it comes to playing as a team they are largely poor. My point more lies at the heart that even a poor organised system is a better school as it still has some emphasis on playing football as a team rather than an unstructured system which focuses on the individual at the expense of both football intelligence and therefore playing a football in a team environment. As we both agree, intelligence is by far the most important attribute for a footballer and if this is built then players can largely overcome deficiencies elsewhere however in situations where the requisite game intelligence was not imparted at an early age it is extremely difficult to adapt even technically very good and very skillful players to the necessities of a team based game of football. It seems there is the same gulf between the immigrants and our own upbringing as there is to say the English to the Spanish or many other European nations (albeit all slightly differently) in terms of the later effects of the differences in the basics taught.

I fully agree with this but it seems for different reasons from yourself. You seem to emphasise technique being the main thing imparted whereas in my view it is only the secondary benefit. The basics of passing, movement and possession are for me the key and cornerstone aspects which must be learnt and built on. It is this basic building block where the building of an inherent second nature in a player can form and change the type of player from a young age for the rest of their life. In order to emphasise this I remember reading that in these small sided games the removal of goals and the focus on keeping the ball was a key element - like I keep mentioning it needs to be well structured to ensure such a focus as small sided games can lose such an emphasis and the net benefits lost (for example I remember myself being a chubby kid with a poor touch who in games such as that used to focus on being able to overcome this by having a good shot and being able to score - I completely missed the benefits and the point of it).

I have experience playing in both, and I am just going to be blunt with you. The school system players in the long run are the players that typically suck and no one wants at the higher levels. Yes, many of the immigrant players suck as well, but there are always a few of the more talented ones that make it.  The only system based players that end up being better are ones playing in academies for professional clubs or national teams, but that is a completely different story together.

Learning technical skills is by far the most important for youth players. Any pro scout will tell you this.  The players who grow up and never learn the techniques are dismisses as useless if they try to make it to the professional level.  Some of the immigrant players are considered to be too raw of a talent, because of their upbringing if football, but alot of them get chances because of that raw talent.  They always think they can teach a player to play as a team.  Unorganized streetsoccer produces most of the best players in both South America and Africa. Most of the professionals in these areas of the world didn't grow up playing in systems. They went outside and played with their friends everyday learning techniques. This is proven to work. If you don't believe me, just look at how many World Cup's have been won by South American sides.

Lastly, we are talking about players who finally make it to the professional level. I have actually done this. I play at a lower level of professional football, but it is still professional. I can tell that mainly immigrants and people who were in the national team or a professional team system are the only ones who make it with little exceptions.  The people who go through the average system don't make it.  There is a reason most Premier League teams are dominated by foreign talent. It's because the system doesn't work. Foreign approaches to the game work much better.

Offline noblet10

• Main Stander
    • Streetsoccer USA
« Reply #116 on: January 14, 2011, 05:54:17 pm »
In regards to the original post and what I think he was saying; there's nothing wrong with having a laugh during a kick about is there? Granted if someone tries something daft in a game they look a right spanner so unless your 100% certain you can pull it off (and it actually gains you some advantage - I can't stand players doing things that serve no purpose), then don't do it, you'll look a fool.

There's video's all over youtube of this bloke who by the looks of it must be into his martial arts as his leg / foot speed is scary;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z28AfwcwuDQ (Wait for the Asian guy)

Search for Tsatsulow on youtube... incredible stuff.

I'm better than he is. He's ok, but alot of the craziness in his video comes from the camera work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuuHgea56y4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucT1ubWbuFY

Best Streetsoccer in the USA!! Proven in the professional indoor league!!

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
« Reply #117 on: January 15, 2011, 02:25:38 am »
I'm better than he is. He's ok, but alot of the craziness in his video comes from the camera work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuuHgea56y4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucT1ubWbuFY

Best Streetsoccer in the USA!! Proven in the professional indoor league!!
not as hot as this one though?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgUpLh6lLJc&feature=player_embedded

Offline noblet10

• Main Stander
    • Streetsoccer USA
« Reply #118 on: January 15, 2011, 02:31:51 am »
If Sylvia Van der Vart could actually play football, and Rafael was out of the picture, she would be the perfect woman. I mean, she is already perfect by appearance. If you added football, that's perfection complete.

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #119 on: January 15, 2011, 02:33:38 am »