Author Topic: Those chants  (Read 184626 times)

Offline klopptopia

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Those chants
« Reply #240 on: October 25, 2022, 09:51:52 pm »
I'd definitely like to see the club tighten up on what happens in the away end. If the will is there, it can be done. I know they can't do much about what happens outside, but they can definitely do more inside.

It's coming to a head now and people will take things into their own hands. Events at Sandon Garage after the West Ham game show that people aren't taking it lying down anymore.

forgive my ignorance as ive been out of the country for a couple of weeks. what happened at the garage?

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #241 on: October 25, 2022, 09:54:55 pm »
forgive my ignorance as ive been out of the country for a couple of weeks. what happened at the garage?
West Ham giving it the Hillsborough chants. Got legged and ran away but left their mate behind. He got leathered everywhere. Knocked unconscious and had his cheekbone broken.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline MPowerYNWA

• Kopite
« Reply #242 on: October 25, 2022, 09:59:29 pm »

So are you saying that most of c*nts in OT,the pit,the bridge etc,etc are drunken louts or did you just take a major jump into bullshit ?

Based on my experience - yes

Offline klopptopia

• Anny Roader
« Reply #243 on: October 25, 2022, 10:13:59 pm »
West Ham giving it the Hillsborough chants. Got legged and ran away but left their mate behind. He got leathered everywhere. Knocked unconscious and had his cheekbone broken.

Thanks hadnt seen that before. wont comment further for obvious reasons.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: October 25, 2022, 10:52:01 pm »

Not exactly a major jump to a conclusion is it ? Loutish behaviour is often undertaken by the louts of society - who typically consume excess alcohol before matches and then rant and rave when at matches.  They are the ones who are verbally and physically abusive to others.

Overall I very much doubt that the people chanting in the main are tee-total parish leaders.

Interesting. With no evidence whatsoever you've just assumed thousands of football fans are drunken louts. Have a think about that eh?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #245 on: October 25, 2022, 11:24:23 pm »

Not exactly a major jump to a conclusion is it ? Loutish behaviour is often undertaken by the louts of society - who typically consume excess alcohol before matches and then rant and rave when at matches.  They are the ones who are verbally and physically abusive to others.

Overall I very much doubt that the people chanting in the main are tee-total parish leaders.

I’d have a good think about that if I were you. Remember the spread of lies by the rag if you need a reminder..
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline MPowerYNWA

• Kopite
« Reply #246 on: October 26, 2022, 07:39:13 pm »
Interesting. With no evidence whatsoever you've just assumed thousands of football fans are drunken louts. Have a think about that eh?

If you think people who sing hurtful hillsborough songs are not louts then that is up to you. My life experience is very clear - they are the equivalent of England fans who travel abroad and throw patio chairs around.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #247 on: October 27, 2022, 12:13:26 am »
If anyone’s looking for a team to get behind in League One. Thought this was a nice touch in light of all the depressing crap we’ve seen and heard recently.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Official_BRFC/status/1585246777233444866

Bristol Rovers

@Official_BRFC
Before tonight's
@SkyBetLeagueOne
 game against
@swfc
 the Rovers players visited the Hillsborough memorial, where midfielder Sam Finley laid flowers in tribute to the 97 who lost their lives in the April 1989 tragedy.

#BristolRovers

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: October 27, 2022, 12:20:41 am »
^
Lovely gesture, and much appreciated.

Bristol is a great place too.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #249 on: October 27, 2022, 12:26:15 am »
If anyone’s looking for a team to get behind in League One. Thought this was a nice touch in light of all the depressing crap we’ve seen and heard recently.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Official_BRFC/status/1585246777233444866

Bristol Rovers

@Official_BRFC
Before tonight's
@SkyBetLeagueOne
 game against
@swfc
 the Rovers players visited the Hillsborough memorial, where midfielder Sam Finley laid flowers in tribute to the 97 who lost their lives in the April 1989 tragedy.

#BristolRovers

To be honest I am not surprised Bristol people are lovely and above all socially aware.

As the missing statue of Edward Colston shows.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #250 on: October 27, 2022, 12:32:00 am »
No arguments from me, used to live about half a mile from their ground in my uni days. Great city.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #251 on: October 27, 2022, 01:43:52 pm »
I echo peoples words about Brizzle . It's my favourite English city and it has the lot. I've spent a lot of time there in between little festivals and thought I'd end up there one day. Regarding that West Ham lad I've seen the footage and a part of me felt sorry for the lad but the other bit of me says fuck him .I know ..  I know .
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: October 27, 2022, 02:10:37 pm »
I echo peoples words about Brizzle . It's my favourite English city and it has the lot. I've spent a lot of time there in between little festivals and thought I'd end up there one day. Regarding that West Ham lad I've seen the footage and a part of me felt sorry for the lad but the other bit of me says fuck him .I know ..  I know .
Of the English cities I've visited, Bristol is by far my favourite. The people, as Al said, seem very socially aware. In my experience, lovely place and lovely people. There was a massive anti-Tory march through the city when we were there too.

I know what you mean about the West Ham lad. I don't like seeing anyone get hurt. Thing is though, Liverpool is a very welcoming city. Opposition fans could come here, have a great laugh amongst us in town then enjoy the match without incident. Or, they can come and act like repulsive, obnoxious gobshites. If they do the latter they run a risk. Those lads decided it was fair game to come here and  chant about Hillsborough...

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #253 on: October 27, 2022, 02:57:44 pm »
Thanks hadnt seen that before. wont comment further for obvious reasons.

yeah no need to  I think we know how we feel on that score.

I have said for a long time the longer authorities allow this to carry on the more likely matters will be taken ' into our own hands'.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #254 on: October 27, 2022, 03:34:23 pm »
Of the English cities I've visited, Bristol is by far my favourite. The people, as Al said, seem very socially aware. In my experience, lovely place and lovely people. There was a massive anti-Tory march through the city when we were there too.

I know what you mean about the West Ham lad. I don't like seeing anyone get hurt. Thing is though, Liverpool is a very welcoming city. Opposition fans could come here, have a great laugh amongst us in town then enjoy the match without incident. Or, they can come and act like repulsive, obnoxious gobshites. If they do the latter they run a risk. Those lads decided it was fair game to come here and  chant about Hillsborough...

So we all agree on Brizzle then.

I like you don't like to see people getting beat up at all . I've seen footage of French bizzies getting a pasting at protests and Iam take that ya fuckers but then Iam going fuck sake that's some poor fella there not knowing what agenda he's serving and enforcing. Ohh I really don't know.

Going back to those chants I remember seeing footage from last season or from the season before of a gang of beauts singing fuck the 96 or something by the Adelphi. How the fuck did they get away with that ?
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #255 on: October 27, 2022, 03:42:15 pm »
If you think people who sing hurtful hillsborough songs are not louts then that is up to you. My life experience is very clear - they are the equivalent of England fans who travel abroad and throw patio chairs around.
Think you need to re-read these two excellent and insightful responses again:

I’d have a good think about that if I were you. Remember the spread of lies by the rag if you need a reminder..

And then consider what unevidenced generalisation and 'it's obvious innit?' thinking has led to over the last 30+ years
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline pl_kop_1969

• Main Stander
« Reply #256 on: October 27, 2022, 03:43:12 pm »

#BristolRovers

In case people don't know, Sam Finley is a massive red, him and his mates drove to the final in Kyiv. Used to watch him at AFC Fylde as it's just cross the road from me. Great player at that level but mad as a box of frogs.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #257 on: October 27, 2022, 03:48:22 pm »
Something that has been mentioned lots no doubt but has the club ever responded to anyone as to an actual reason why they never take any action?

I mean nothing can be done in other grounds but it’s the clubs ground and there are thousands of away fans literally taunting the families with abhorrent chants.

As some have said you can’t get away with such things on the street why on earth is this allowed to go on is just maddening.

The club need to toughen up and stop this abuse happening.
I know nothing particular about the subject but I do know how weird, byzantine and counterintuitive PL, FA and football rules can be so I wonder if the club is allowed to respond in the ways people are asking - eg cutting allocations. I know it's been done due to persistent standing but standing seems to be regarded as a bizarrely heinous crime by football authorities, and the latitude allowed club in those instances may not be allowed for chanting that is vile but technically doesn't break the law.

I've no idea if this is the case or not, but it might be a contributory factor as to the club's non-action.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #258 on: October 27, 2022, 04:08:59 pm »
In case people don't know, Sam Finley is a massive red, him and his mates drove to the final in Kyiv. Used to watch him at AFC Fylde as it's just cross the road from me. Great player at that level but mad as a box of frogs.

I saw that afterwards. Good lad. No doubt there will be a few Rovers fans of the shame here mentality mindset of other clubs but we can still praise the city in general for now!

Kesey- think those fans were from Shrewsbury (that was who we played in the 3rd round of the FA Cup I think?). But yeah, just asking for trouble.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #259 on: October 27, 2022, 05:34:52 pm »
yeah no need to  I think we know how we feel on that score.

I have said for a long time the longer authorities allow this to carry on the more likely matters will be taken ' into our own hands'.

Violence is not the answer (as you say though that can happen). That video knocking around at the garage is sickening. Those involved may be prosecuted.

Back in the day away fans who turned up at Anfield and were mouthy had to be able to back it up. Now they feel they can be nasty as they want and suffer no consequences. They usually can but a group of lads kicking someone's head in as they're defenseless on the floor has no place in society either.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 05:38:43 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #260 on: October 28, 2022, 07:44:40 am »
Louts?
Remember that human rights lawyer who followed Chelsea home and away, who posted all sorts of crap about other fans. He was outed when he posted about Liverpool, including some slurs about Hillsborough and even brought Jimmy Savile into the conversation. Turns out he was an award winner for his work and on mega bucks.
Hardly the type…?
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: October 28, 2022, 01:39:35 pm »
Louts?
Remember that human rights lawyer who followed Chelsea home and away, who posted all sorts of crap about other fans. He was outed when he posted about Liverpool, including some slurs about Hillsborough and even brought Jimmy Savile into the conversation. Turns out he was an award winner for his work and on mega bucks.
Hardly the type…?
I remember him. I think it's easy to assume that everyone who does things such as chant about Hillsborough and other disasters are simply drunken idiots, but I think there's much more to it than that.

Of course, some people will indeed have been on the beer, but I don't even think that plays much of a part in stadiums anymore. Can you even get in if you're steaming drunk these days?

When you have almost an entire away end singing this shite it's not down to drunkenness, and I'd bet anything that the majority of those singing it are generally normal people you'd come into contact with anywhere in the course of your normal week.

Crowd dynamics and peer pressure play their part. People often act very differently in groups than they would individually. I used to have a girlfriend whose brother was a Blue. A nice guy one on one. Usually kind and generous with a decent nature about him. Thing is, I once saw him and his blue mates in a pub in town, and they were all acting like scum and singing vile shite. He didn't know I was there.

What I'm saying is that people can change when in groups. Herd mentality can act like an intoxicant all by itself. This is why when we see some people held to account for their behaviour at football grounds, people who know them will say that it's out of character for them.

I know a Red who has been prosecuted for football-related stuff following us. Thing is, he is a dedicated worker in the caring profession and is the type of fella who helps old ladies across the road. I've never seen him pissed-up either.

Prejudice plays a big part too. We all hold prejudice. I remember we had to do a lot of work around our own prejudices when I was training to be a counsellor. We often believe we aren't prejudiced ourselves, but when we scratch the surface it's not really so. It's so easy to buy into stereotyping too, and even moreso when in a crowd with something in common such as following the same football club. Prejudice, peer pressure, crowd dynamics, a sense of anonymity etc can all see people acting differently in a crowd than they would individually.

99.99% of people wouldn't dream of hurling abuse at bereaved people and disaster survivors face-to-face in daily life, yet many will do so when in a crowd of their peers. For some, drink may fuel it somewhat but, for most, it's not about the drink. There's so much more to it than that.

For it to stop, it has to have consequences for the individual. Then, the mentality within the group may shift like it has with racism. Individuals got dragged out and identified after airing their racism. Offenders lost jobs because of it. This helps change the mindset within the group where, now, fingers will be pointed at offenders by fellow fans.

Currently, the group mindset suggests singing songs about disasters and taunting bereaved people is acceptable. The way the media ignore it also helps condone it too. As it stands, people within the group are more inclined to join in than call it out. That will only change when individuals start being held accountable like they were when racism was finally addressed in stadiums.

Offline MPowerYNWA

• Kopite
« Reply #262 on: October 28, 2022, 01:52:37 pm »
I remember him. I think it's easy to assume that everyone who does things such as chant about Hillsborough and other disasters are simply drunken idiots, but I think there's much more to it than that.

Of course, some people will indeed have been on the beer, but I don't even think that plays much of a part in stadiums anymore. Can you even get in if you're steaming drunk these days?

When you have almost an entire away end singing this shite it's not down to drunkenness, and I'd bet anything that the majority of those singing it are generally normal people you'd come into contact with anywhere in the course of your normal week.

Crowd dynamics and peer pressure play their part. People often act very differently in groups than they would individually. I used to have a girlfriend whose brother was a Blue. A nice guy one on one. Usually kind and generous with a decent nature about him. Thing is, I once saw him and his blue mates in a pub in town, and they were all acting like scum and singing vile shite. He didn't know I was there.

What I'm saying is that people can change when in groups. Herd mentality can act like an intoxicant all by itself. This is why when we see some people held to account for their behaviour at football grounds, people who know them will say that it's out of character for them.

I know a Red who has been prosecuted for football-related stuff following us. Thing is, he is a dedicated worker in the caring profession and is the type of fella who helps old ladies across the road. I've never seen him pissed-up either.

Prejudice plays a big part too. We all hold prejudice. I remember we had to do a lot of work around our own prejudices when I was training to be a counsellor. We often believe we aren't prejudiced ourselves, but when we scratch the surface it's not really so. It's so easy to buy into stereotyping too, and even moreso when in a crowd with something in common such as following the same football club. Prejudice, peer pressure, crowd dynamics, a sense of anonymity etc can all see people acting differently in a crowd than they would individually.

99.99% of people wouldn't dream of hurling abuse at bereaved people and disaster survivors face-to-face in daily life, yet many will do so when in a crowd of their peers. For some, drink may fuel it somewhat but, for most, it's not about the drink. There's so much more to it than that.

For it to stop, it has to have consequences for the individual. Then, the mentality within the group may shift like it has with racism. Individuals got dragged out and identified after airing their racism. Offenders lost jobs because of it. This helps change the mindset within the group where, now, fingers will be pointed at offenders by fellow fans.

Currently, the group mindset suggests singing songs about disasters and taunting bereaved people is acceptable. The way the media ignore it also helps condone it too. As it stands, people within the group are more inclined to join in than call it out. That will only change when individuals start being held accountable like they were when racism was finally addressed in stadiums.

Great post and I’ve noted my own unconscious bias in making the assertion I did about drunks  :)

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: October 28, 2022, 02:12:54 pm »
Great post and I’ve noted my own unconscious bias in making the assertion I did about drunks  :)
To be honest, I think it would feel better if these offenders were indeed all just drunken idiots that crawl from under a rock just before kick off. I say that because it's far more disconcerting to realise that the guy taunting you over your bereavement on Saturday afternoon could be the guy making your coffee in Costa on Monday, the guy delivering your Amazon parcel on Tuesday, the guy caring for your elderly mother in her home on a daily basis. The guy in your house fixing your boiler on Wednesday. The lad going out with your daughter. The guy whose business you spend your hard earned money in.

Humans eh. The things we do to each other.  :-\

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: October 28, 2022, 02:46:56 pm »

Fair play  :thumbup
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #265 on: October 29, 2022, 10:05:14 pm »

Liverpool v Leeds...

''Always the victims' chant the away end. Grim' - https://twitter.com/JamesPearceLFC/status/1586454176787226625

'Leeds fans start chanting ''Always the victims'. - https://twitter.com/TheoSquiresECHO/status/1586454190423166976
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #266 on: October 30, 2022, 09:05:55 am »
It’s so sad to see every other fan base now uses it as a badge of honour to have a pop.

The taboo has been broken by a few clubs getting away with it and now all the banter boys want their slice of the action.

Fucking sickening and no one will do anything about it.

Online wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #267 on: October 30, 2022, 09:13:19 am »
It’s so sad to see every other fan base now uses it as a badge of honour to have a pop.

The taboo has been broken by a few clubs getting away with it and now all the banter boys want their slice of the action.

I played golf yesterday morning with a Chelsea, City and Wolves fan.  I got rounded on by the City fan saying we constantly sing Munich songs which is why it's OK for, er, City fans to sing about Hillsborough.  The other 2 then piped in about Scousers always being the victims and it becomes an impossible argument to win.  It's been relatively quiet in recent years because of success on the pitch but now we're struggling, we're the team everyone loves to hate / take the piss out of.  The Chelsea fan was convinced Hillsborough was totally down to ticketless fans.  And these, honestly, are three genuinely nice guys.  The confirmation bias is totally rooted now and I don't think there's anything we can do about it.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: October 30, 2022, 11:03:06 am »
I was in Manchester on Friday night on a night out with the lads. Two of us walking back the hotel about 4am and some c*nt heard our accent and calls us murderers. Safe to say I offered him and all his mates out right there and then but they were just pretending to be dragged back and all that. I think I remember them saying they was fucking Arsenal fans aswell.

Fucking pricks.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: October 30, 2022, 11:05:23 am »

That was always going to happen. Some would chance their arm and the rest would watch and see how it went. It was ignored virtually everywhere. Heard in grounds on TV featured games and totally ignored by the commentary team and post-match pundits and presenters. Ignored in match reports and not highlighted by the media.

Even now, if it does get mentioned by a few in the media the response is about "victims" and "look what you sang 30 years ago."

It's been shown that you can sing vile shite about disasters and 99% of the media and watching public will either bury their heads in the sand and ignore it, or will indulge in childish whataboutery in order to excuse it.

The result is the green light being given to morons to indulge in their ghoulish death porn.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 11:11:12 am by Son of Spion »

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: October 30, 2022, 12:20:19 pm »
I played golf yesterday morning with a Chelsea, City and Wolves fan.  I got rounded on by the City fan saying we constantly sing Munich songs which is why it's OK for, er, City fans to sing about Hillsborough.  The other 2 then piped in about Scousers always being the victims and it becomes an impossible argument to win.  It's been relatively quiet in recent years because of success on the pitch but now we're struggling, we're the team everyone loves to hate / take the piss out of.  The Chelsea fan was convinced Hillsborough was totally down to ticketless fans.  And these, honestly, are three genuinely nice guys.  The confirmation bias is totally rooted now and I don't think there's anything we can do about it.

City fans were chanting about Munich at the ground long after Liverpool fans did for the most part. Munich chanting mostly stopped in the ground after Hillsborough. Now and again the away end at Old Trafford has been baited into it after 90 minutes of their bile, which certainly shouldn't have happened and it's giving them what they want. It was more common with City.

I remember during Manchester derbies you could audibly hear "Can you hear the Munich's sing" well into the 2000s, among others. They'd openly refer to United as the Munich's, so that's pretty astonishing lack of self-awareness or selective memory.

Online wah00ey

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: October 30, 2022, 12:38:29 pm »
City fans were chanting about Munich at the ground long after Liverpool fans did for the most part. Munich chanting mostly stopped in the ground after Hillsborough. Now and again the away end at Old Trafford has been baited into it after 90 minutes of their bile, which certainly shouldn't have happened and it's giving them what they want. It was more common with City.

I remember during Manchester derbies you could audibly hear "Can you hear the Munich's sing" well into the 2000s, among others. They'd openly refer to United as the Munich's, so that's pretty astonishing lack of self-awareness or selective memory.
Yep.  I said that we don't sing about Munich since Hillsborough but it all falls on deaf ears.  The anti scouser agenda is deeply ingrained.  And then the same people moan that we don't sing the national anthem...
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: October 30, 2022, 12:46:05 pm »
Yep.  I said that we don't sing about Munich since Hillsborough but it all falls on deaf ears.  The anti scouser agenda is deeply ingrained.  And then the same people moan that we don't sing the national anthem...

Are these older fellas? I find it worse with middle age types who grew up in the 80s which is where all this originates ('the enemy within' etc). It's why the police could cover up Hillsborough because the people of Liverpool were so prejudiced against.

Of course it passes down the generations as well but petty football rivalry aside I don't find younger people are as negative towards the city and its people, but then most of them don't vote Tory or read the Murdoch/Tory press.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: October 30, 2022, 12:46:07 pm »

I've seen footage of Abu Dhabi singing Munich towards the Mancs at the Emptyhad, both in their seats and on the concourse. They've always sung it and the haven't stopped. And yes, United fans have long been routinely referred to as "Munichs" by them.

Online wah00ey

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: October 30, 2022, 12:54:54 pm »
Are these older fellas? I find it worse with middle age types who grew up in the 80s which is where all this originates ('the enemy within' etc). It's why the police could cover up Hillsborough because the people of Liverpool were so prejudiced against.

Of course it passes down the generations as well but petty football rivalry aside I don't find younger people are as negative towards the city and its people, but then most of them don't vote Tory or read the Murdoch/Tory press.

Yes.  Two 50s and a 40s, yes.

Offline Cormack Snr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: October 30, 2022, 01:02:15 pm »
When I was going the match in the 70's and 80's a famous Road Ender would always call Utd Munich when most of us just called them Utd.
I remember at that away game when about 500 of us walked from that pub The Drum, he was shouting Munich, Munich all the way. He is dead now and was a really nice fella when he wasn't hating Utd so much.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #276 on: October 31, 2022, 03:09:20 pm »
Premier League urged to tackle chants about Hillsborough that ‘shame’ football

MP says ‘incessant’ chants affecting families and survivors
‘Enough really is enough … we need actions now,’ says Ian Byrne

A Labour MP has called on the Premier League to help stamp out chants about the Hillsborough disaster, saying it has a “duty of care” to the survivors of the 1989 tragedy.

Ian Byrne says chants about the disaster aimed at Liverpool fans have become “incessant” and are now a weekly occurrence, and urged the Premier League chief executive, Richard Masters, to meet him in a bid to tackle the problem.

A 2016 inquest found 96 Liverpool supporters were unlawfully killed amid a catalogue of failings by the emergency services at a 1989 FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest at Hillsborough.

Since then, Andrew Devine, who died in July last year after suffering life-changing injuries in the disaster, has also been determined to have been unlawfully killed at an inquest.

Byrne also told Masters that Hillsborough survivors had been deeply affected by events in Paris earlier this year, when Reds fans were kept penned outside the Stade de France for hours in the buildup to the Champions League final.

The French authorities initially laid the blame for the chaotic scenes on Liverpool supporters, whom they said had brought large numbers of counterfeit tickets. However, a French Senate report published in July said Liverpool fans were unfairly blamed to “divert attention” from the failure of the organisers.

In a letter to Masters dated last Friday, Byrne wrote: “These chants and the people behind them shame the game. Since the events of the Uefa final in Paris we have seen many [Hillsborough] survivors triggered and struggling, tragically three survivors have taken their lives this year alone and two since Paris.

“The Premier League has a duty of care to these supporters and the incessant chanting that is now a weekly occurrence must be tackled at the root causes.”

Byrne has called on the Premier League to assist with the rollout of The Real Truth Legacy Project, an initiative he is leading which aims “to educate current and future generations about what really happened at the disaster, and about the subsequent cover-up and the long fight for justice”.

Byrne added: “I cannot stress the detrimental impact these chants are having on the families of the 97, the survivors and their families. Enough really is enough and we need actions now from the Premier League and all football clubs involved to ensure that this stops.”

The Premier League has acknowledged receipt of the letter.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/oct/31/premier-league-urged-to-tackle-chants-about-hillsborough-that-shame-football
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Speedy Molby

• Not as fat as his name suggests but is still a bad formby wool :)
  • Campaigns
  • Kopite
  • Satire? In Wigan?
« Reply #277 on: October 31, 2022, 04:02:15 pm »
‘The Premier League has acknowledged receipt of the letter’

They don’t sound keen.
I am alone now. I am beyond recrimination. The curtains have shut, the furniture has gone. I am transforming. I am vibrating. I am glowing. I am flying. Look at me now.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #278 on: October 31, 2022, 04:32:52 pm »
‘The Premier League has acknowledged receipt of the letter’

They don’t sound keen.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: October 31, 2022, 04:37:17 pm »
The problem is the 'Always the Victims" chant (which IIRC actually started from Everton fans about 10 years ago via a banner, I could be wrong) is ambiguous enough for people to say "it's about Heysel, it's about Suarez, it's about fans booing the national anthem" etc etc. "The S*n was right" there's obviously no ambiguity, that's purely about Hillsborough and as far as i'm aware that's always just been a United chant and City have now started since.

But every set of fans turn up at Anfield now with 'Always the victims' and will argue that it's not a Hillsborough chant. The S*n was right chant from City fans thus led to the LFC official statement after the game. Always the victims doesn't invoke that response.