Author Topic: Rhian Brewster  (Read 332097 times)

Offline Byrneand

• Kopite
Re: Rhian Brewster, set to stay
« Reply #680 on: July 8, 2019, 02:17:07 pm »
Nemeth.

I actually saw him playing in Boston last year. Not one that got away
If you can't walk in a straight line.... you shouldn't be playing for Liverpool. End of

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #681 on: July 8, 2019, 02:24:30 pm »
Michael Ngoo

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #682 on: July 8, 2019, 02:36:53 pm »
Those who remember the Fowler and Owen hype will understand the others mentioned were not of the same level....or maybe I missed it. Either way, not sure how many of them were training with the 1st team? I seem to remember some may have gone on pre season tours but were sent back down to the academy pretty sharpish. Of course, with social media and 24/7 news the scrutiny is now far more intense . All the more surprising the club have not kept Brewster low profile and in particular the boss who is effusive in his praise; perhaps another indication Jurgen is absolutely convinced by the lad.
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #683 on: July 8, 2019, 02:40:02 pm »
Owen definitely had a lot of hype but I don't remember there being a huge buzz for Fowler, felt like he came out of nowhere.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #684 on: July 8, 2019, 02:47:50 pm »
I remember Woodburn being hyped up as the next Welsh Wizard when he broke into our first team, briefly.

Wasn't there all that discussion in the press about how England and Wales were both keen to grab him?

So is Ben now below Rhian in the pecking order? (When both fit)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #685 on: July 8, 2019, 02:48:14 pm »
Those who remember the Fowler and Owen hype will understand the others mentioned were not of the same level....or maybe I missed it. Either way, not sure how many of them were training with the 1st team? I seem to remember some may have gone on pre season tours but were sent back down to the academy pretty sharpish. Of course, with social media and 24/7 news the scrutiny is now far more intense . All the more surprising the club have not kept Brewster low profile and in particular the boss who is effusive in his praise; perhaps another indication Jurgen is absolutely convinced by the lad.

I think they were just naming young strikers we had...?

None of them were hyped up like Brewster has been, purely because the manager has acknowledged he sees him as part of the first team squad now.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #686 on: July 8, 2019, 02:50:04 pm »
I remember Woodburn being hyped up as the next Welsh Wizard when he broke into our first team, briefly.

Wasn't there all that discussion in the press about how England and Wales were both keen to grab him?

So is Ben now below Rhian in the pecking order? (When both fit)

It would appear so.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #687 on: July 8, 2019, 03:09:34 pm »
Woodburn is a cautionary reminder that young players' development is not necessarily linear
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #688 on: July 8, 2019, 03:11:01 pm »
Owen definitely had a lot of hype but I don't remember there being a huge buzz for Fowler, felt like he came out of nowhere.

Owen and Fowler were both well known before they broke into the 1st team. Think the hype with Owen was probably greater since he shown up massively in the run to our FA Youth Cup win in 1996. Think he scored loads in that run and was definitely the star player.

Fowler was definitely known before he broke into the 1st team. Got to remember that there was less of a general awareness of anything below the 1st team level in the early 90's. Fowler had won the U18 Euros with England so he had pedigree and there was a buzz about his performances at reserve team level.

Hard to judge Brewster against that. The world is a very different place to the 1990's when Fowler and Owen broke through. Nowadays fans can name most of the U18 side, never mind the reserves. I just don't think that was the case 20-30 years ago. Few snippets in the Echo and if you managed to go to the reserve games were the only exposure you got. To have a buzz about a young player then was probably genuine. Now it's hard to distinguish between that real sense of buzz about a young player and just the general noise around football currently.

What I would say about Brewster is that the club and Klopp seem like they have gone out of their way to talk about him and promote him. Whether that's Klopp talking about him in interviews and press conferences through to Brewster being prominent figure in Liverpool's social media output over the last 3-4 months. I just don't think the club do that without having very high hopes for him. The way Brewster has been treated is different to Woodburn, Wilson etc... Klopp and the coaching staff must see huge promise in him during training sessions and playing alongside the senior pros.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #689 on: July 8, 2019, 03:34:08 pm »
Owen and Fowler were both well known before they broke into the 1st team. Think the hype with Owen was probably greater since he shown up massively in the run to our FA Youth Cup win in 1996. Think he scored loads in that run and was definitely the star player.

Fowler was definitely known before he broke into the 1st team. Got to remember that there was less of a general awareness of anything below the 1st team level in the early 90's. Fowler had won the U18 Euros with England so he had pedigree and there was a buzz about his performances at reserve team level.

Hard to judge Brewster against that. The world is a very different place to the 1990's when Fowler and Owen broke through. Nowadays fans can name most of the U18 side, never mind the reserves. I just don't think that was the case 20-30 years ago. Few snippets in the Echo and if you managed to go to the reserve games were the only exposure you got. To have a buzz about a young player then was probably genuine. Now it's hard to distinguish between that real sense of buzz about a young player and just the general noise around football currently.

What I would say about Brewster is that the club and Klopp seem like they have gone out of their way to talk about him and promote him. Whether that's Klopp talking about him in interviews and press conferences through to Brewster being prominent figure in Liverpool's social media output over the last 3-4 months. I just don't think the club do that without having very high hopes for him. The way Brewster has been treated is different to Woodburn, Wilson etc... Klopp and the coaching staff must see huge promise in him during training sessions and playing alongside the senior pros.

IIRC the youth team coach was congratulated on Fowler's performance at such a young age, and he replied that there was a better one still in the reserves. When you look at their skillsets, it's hard to understand why Owen never scored as many as Fowler at his peak.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #690 on: July 8, 2019, 03:40:12 pm »
IIRC the youth team coach was congratulated on Fowler's performance at such a young age, and he replied that there was a better one still in the reserves. When you look at their skillsets, it's hard to understand why Owen never scored as many as Fowler at his peak.
You have to remember though, Owen wasn’t a natural goal scorer, Glenn Hoddle said so 🤔
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #691 on: July 8, 2019, 03:45:40 pm »
Woodburn is a cautionary reminder that young players' development is not necessarily linear

It's a crazy assumption that people often wrongly make with no basis. They just assume someone has to be at a given stage at a given age to make it at whichever level in discussion. Not necessarily so at all.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #692 on: July 8, 2019, 03:55:50 pm »
You have to remember though, Owen wasn’t a natural goal scorer, Glenn Hoddle said so 🤔

I'm not really sure how Fowler was a more natural goalscorer than Owen. Owen was best known for his pace, but as we saw when he'd lost that, his brain was also quite the asset.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #693 on: July 8, 2019, 04:11:26 pm »
It's a crazy assumption that people often wrongly make with no basis. They just assume someone has to be at a given stage at a given age to make it at whichever level in discussion. Not necessarily so at all.
Babel is a good example of non-linear progress, no?

Was touted as a very promising young player? We bought him. Didn't set the world on fire. We sold him. Meandered from club to club.
Then burst back on to the PL scene with Fulham, and also got back to being a Holland regular.
 ;D

Offline Byrneand

• Kopite
« Reply #694 on: July 8, 2019, 04:13:46 pm »

Its really not a linear trajectory.

Look at James Vardy vs some of the list above.

There are so many factors that go into player development. The biggest of one of all being luck.

I think talent and hard work are a given (or should be), but then on top of that you have injuries (to the player or a 1st team player), manager pressure, competition advancement/severity.

If you can't walk in a straight line.... you shouldn't be playing for Liverpool. End of

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #695 on: July 8, 2019, 04:27:59 pm »
Yes luck is a major component.

Any young forward/striker trying to break into our team has to compete with an astoundingly high quality front line; any centre backs have to compete with Virgil and Joe and Matip.

Whereas Trent had a fairly easy route into right back - having got there he has done astonishing things and put up amazing numbers, certainly, but he could easily have just not made it there because there were two solid first choicers ahead of him keeping his chances to a minimum. What would have happened to his career then?
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Maldini

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #696 on: July 8, 2019, 04:30:31 pm »
You have to remember though, Owen wasn’t a natural goal scorer, Glenn Hoddle said so

One of the most misquoted things in sport that, he wasn't saying he wasn't a natural goalscorer, he was saying he was more than just a goal sniffer. It's written into folklore now though
« Last Edit: July 8, 2019, 04:36:01 pm by Maldini »

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #697 on: July 8, 2019, 04:36:56 pm »
Yes luck is a major component.

Any young forward/striker trying to break into our team has to compete with an astoundingly high quality front line; any centre backs have to compete with Virgil and Joe and Matip.

Whereas Trent had a fairly easy route into right back - having got there he has done astonishing things and put up amazing numbers, certainly, but he could easily have just not made it there because there were two solid first choicers ahead of him keeping his chances to a minimum. What would have happened to his career then?

The injury that kept Clyne out for a whole year practically proved to be vital to Trent's career and us. because who knows if he would have gotten that big of a role had Clyne been fit otherwise.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #698 on: July 8, 2019, 04:57:33 pm »
N’goo, Amoo and N’gog...

David Pleats nightmare line up
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #699 on: July 8, 2019, 05:13:07 pm »
One of the most misquoted things in sport that, he wasn't saying he wasn't a natural goalscorer, he was saying he was more than just a goal sniffer. It's written into folklore now though
I remember it more as an excuse he was using to justify not starting Owen but you may well be right
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #700 on: July 9, 2019, 12:11:09 am »
Brewster definitely has more going for him than woodburn and pretty much all mentioned above who didn’t make it. In the u17 World Cup win he was as good as Sancho and Hudson. I reckon Klopp likes the work rate he shows as much as his goal scoring.

I would say that he doesn’t stand out as much as sterling did but then sterling stood out more than pogba did when they played each other at youth level. Ravel Morrison stood out more than both..
« Last Edit: July 9, 2019, 12:19:23 am by MBL? »

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #701 on: July 9, 2019, 08:30:11 am »
The difference between Brewster and Woodburn is, Woodburn broke through when our front line was incredibly limited - in fact we only had Firmino of the current front 3.

And even then, it was a matter of giving a young player a chance in the cups.

My sense is with Brewster, we're looking at someone who's being trusted to back up Salah and Firmino and Mane, as a legitimate option.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #702 on: July 9, 2019, 10:49:25 am »
The headline "Brewster's Millions" in the press will be inevitable when we put him on a new contract

Online lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #703 on: July 10, 2019, 02:58:32 pm »
The headline "Brewster's Millions" in the press will be inevitable when we put him on a new contract

But of course you would have to be over 40 to remember that film :)
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #704 on: July 11, 2019, 10:30:13 am »
But of course you would have to be over 40 to remember that film :)
One of the more tedious habits of the English press corps is the constant assumption that everyone has the same political leanings, cultural touchstones and tastes as they do. Hence the obsession with a centrist neoliberal politics that relatively few relate to, the hatred of trump and uncritical love of Obama, the immediate hype for TV shows (eg fleabag/girls) that reflect their social groups etc etc. Given that much of the press corps will have grown up with Prior's films as a regular staple of family TV, you can pretty much guarantee that it'll be used as a headline. ;)

*NB I don't mean to suggest here that Trump is good and Fleabag is bad, more just pointing to a certain groupthink in a press that, to all intents and purposes, are basically a social circle - same backgrounds, schools, etc etc.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 10:32:02 am by hesbighesred »
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #705 on: July 11, 2019, 05:09:34 pm »
Or alternatively, it's been on the telly a lot so people of all ages will be familiar with it.

Plus the term 'Brewstered' is pretty common even among da kidz in large parts of the country, even if they haven't seen the film.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #706 on: July 11, 2019, 07:25:26 pm »
Or alternatively, it's been on the telly a lot so people of all ages will be familiar with it.

Plus the term 'Brewstered' is pretty common even among da kidz in large parts of the country, even if they haven't seen the film.

Let's hope we don't sign have someone coming through the ranks with the surname Munson.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #707 on: July 11, 2019, 08:19:35 pm »
Well if that 45 minutes was a fair reflection, I'm sold. Good hold up play, puts himself about, cute around the box and has a goalscorer's nose.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #708 on: July 11, 2019, 08:22:18 pm »
Don't want to go overboard but he's possibly the greatest English centre forward of all time.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #709 on: July 11, 2019, 08:24:50 pm »
Don't want to go overboard but he's possibly the greatest English centre forward of all time.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #710 on: July 11, 2019, 08:28:21 pm »
Wonderful showing for his first 45, really intellegent play

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #711 on: July 11, 2019, 10:50:58 pm »
One of the more tedious habits of the English press corps is the constant assumption that everyone has the same political leanings, cultural touchstones and tastes as they do. Hence the obsession with a centrist neoliberal politics that relatively few relate to, the hatred of trump and uncritical love of Obama, the immediate hype for TV shows (eg fleabag/girls) that reflect their social groups etc etc. Given that much of the press corps will have grown up with Prior's films as a regular staple of family TV, you can pretty much guarantee that it'll be used as a headline. ;)

*NB I don't mean to suggest here that Trump is good and Fleabag is bad, more just pointing to a certain groupthink in a press that, to all intents and purposes, are basically a social circle - same backgrounds, schools, etc etc.

'Brewsters Billions'. They'll write that just for the excuse of writing up some shitbollocks after he scores a few pre-season. Could Brewster be the first blah blah blah... you watch...

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #712 on: July 11, 2019, 10:59:30 pm »
Klopp:

On whether it’s a ‘big season’ for Brewster…

100 per cent, but again it depends on him as well. Divock Origi stays, obviously, which is good news; Bobby Firmino is still there; Rhian Brewster is a top striker, a top talent, and I am really happy. I told him already, he has an important role this year – but how important? Again, it depends on him and we will see. He has to play different positions as well because the centre is OK, wing I think is possible, and then we will see how we can line up. There will be opportunities for him, I am really sure.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #713 on: July 11, 2019, 11:09:33 pm »
Not sure how he's going to be able to play on the wing when we don't play with wingers. Stupid Jurgen.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #714 on: July 11, 2019, 11:13:35 pm »
Not sure how he's going to be able to play on the wing when we don't play with wingers. Stupid Jurgen.

Unless we're changing formations and systems again this season. We certainly played with wingers today.

Better looking than Samie.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #715 on: July 12, 2019, 12:06:05 am »
Klopp saying he could have scored one fo Rhian's goals, was funny but the point was not to get carried away with him

Offline KopThat

• "See Tom turn red, See Tom run, Oh happy days."
  • Legacy Fan
  • He who laughs last, didn't quite get the joke...
    • GameFaceMe
« Reply #716 on: July 12, 2019, 12:34:42 am »
Harry Wilson was unlucky not getting on the score sheet, but Brewster was ready to take his chances.

It must be difficult having such a strong front 3, but he also behind Origi but will get his chance at some stage this season.

It took an injury to clyne to give TAA his chance and that worked out alright,
not saying he should do a Tonya though ;)

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #717 on: July 12, 2019, 01:04:04 am »
Don't want to get carried away but reckon he will get the 7 shirt when Milner leaves at the end of this season.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #718 on: July 12, 2019, 01:19:39 am »
The biggest compliment you can give Brewster is that the club has cleared a distinct path to the first team for him. I can't remember that being done by the club since probably Owen
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #719 on: July 12, 2019, 01:54:01 am »
The biggest compliment you can give Brewster is that the club has cleared a distinct path to the first team for him. I can't remember that being done by the club since probably Owen

That's a good point. Maybe Sterling?
Better looking than Samie.