Author Topic: Favourite Aircraft  (Read 68333 times)

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
Re: Favourite Aircraft
« Reply #280 on: February 28, 2008, 09:33:11 pm »
this fucking thing.awesome !
ladies and gentlemen,the a-50 black shark.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fb3_1178974309

Yes, lovely looking machine. I certainly don't want to upset any pilots of those things!
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #281 on: February 28, 2008, 09:55:45 pm »
christ everyone going for these sleek things, mine's gotta be the Airbus A300-600ST Beluga, just a joy to see those things actually being in the air!

Offline JohnSullie

• van, missing in burma, any news contact Dave, Grace n' Terry
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #282 on: February 28, 2008, 11:27:54 pm »
I agree with hooded claw, the Stuka looks awesome...but how bout this bad boy...

Good choice,I prefer the p-38 in this camo/paintjob though. 
Sticking wih the Mustang as my all timefav though:)

Offline albertared

• Left England in 1990 - probably chased by a mob.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: February 29, 2008, 01:16:21 am »
Saab Viggen - made an Airfix model of one as a kid.

"SAAB....Nothing On earth Comes Close"

Pity General Motors is busy destroying the car side of the SAAB business.
Left England 1990...still on our perch...I think I'd better come back because it's all gone haywire since!

Offline albertared

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: February 29, 2008, 01:31:54 am »
For me, the things that make an aircraft memorable are its' shape, its' sound and, especially, its' contribution to history.

Around 1988 or 1989 I was working at an AustinRover dealership on the Hatfield Road, St. Albans but only about two miles from British Aerospace, Hatfield, formerly an RAF field. I think it was a Friday afternoon with an airshow scheduled there for the weekend. I was talking to customers when I heard a distictive, unforgettable sound from above.

I quickly excused myself and ran outside and looked up and saw, and heard, the most awesome aviation scene in my life. It brought tears to my eyes and the memory of it is doing so now. Why? What?

Rumbling overhead was an Avro Lancaster bomber flanked by a Hawker Hurricane off one wingtip and a Supermarine Spitfire off the other wing. Six Rolls Royce Merlin engines growling with those fabulous big 4-bladed props thrashing the air...what an incredible sound and a beautiful sight. Truly wonderful LOOKING planes with absolutely the best SOUND ever generated by mankind.

The brilliance of British engineering and spirit embodied in 3 machines that, along with the brave kids that flew them in World War 2, were a huge part of why the majority of us on this board are alive today and are not speaking German.

And THAT is why these are not only MY favorite aircraft but why they are some of the most significant in the history of the world.

To those brave men...I salute you and Thank You.

May you Rest In Peace and Never Walk Alone!
Left England 1990...still on our perch...I think I'd better come back because it's all gone haywire since!

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: February 29, 2008, 01:46:22 am »

Glad this thread is back up and running.

Was just thinking about my times in the new (well it was when I was flying it) Grob Tutor....lovely bit of kit.

It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline albertared

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: February 29, 2008, 02:03:13 am »
Following on from my last post, a few other sound-related aviation memories;

1. Sometime in the 1960s the Dad of one of my neighbourhood pals (he was a Scouser, a WW2 Spitfire pilot, a Red and probably the reason I have been a life-long LFC fan) took us to an airshow at RAF St. Athan near Bridgend, South Wales. As the show concluded we were walking around the perimeter of the field back to the car. As we passed by the end of the main runway there was a sudden deafening roar and our eyes were drawn to 5 aircraft on the runway, poised for a formation takeoff. We were then subjected to an even louder roar as they went to full throttle with re-heat. The ground was literally shaking, the sound was so loud that our chest cavities were actually vibrating. The jet exhausts glowed as the planes moved away from us and we were subjected to a blast of hot air from over 100 yards away. Seconds later the 5 planes rose as one and climbed almost vertically into the low clouds. Although the outlines of the aircraft dissappeared very quickly in the murk the after-burners were visible like cigarette-ends for quite a long time as they seemed to almost burn a hole through the clouds and the roaring, thundering sound continued for well over a minute. The planes? F4-B Phantoms...truly outstanding aircraft of their day.

2. Around 1980 or 1981 was briefly visiting Heathrow en-route for a hitch-hiking trip to Europe. Heard the most incredible snarling, crackling, spitting jet roar I've ever experienced. Rumbling down the runway was a BOAC-liveried Hawker Siddeley (I think) Trident airliner. Not a favorite plane but an indelible memory just because it is the noisiest sound I have ever heard from a single aircraft, albeit with 3 engines. (Also Rolls Royce I think but possibly Pratt and Whitney)

3. Also at Heathrow, probably 1989, was parked just outside the western perimeter fence mainly watching planes coming in to land from the west. You could see 15 or more planes in line in the sky stretching 20 or 30 miles out into the western sky. One Air India 747 came over so low it almost seemed like I could reach up and touch it. It was filthy and rust-stained too...or maybe curry-stained, lol.

Anyway, point of this is that, in a lull between landings, suddenly I heard a huge roar which got extremely loud, rivalling those described above, before it gradually diminished. Clearly there was an aircraft moving away from me down the runway but hidden from my view by the concrete sound/blast buffers they have strategically placed there.

After about 30 seconds a serene shape rose into the sky about a mile away, turned in a sharply-banked right turn showing the MOST BEAUTIFUL AIRCRAFT SILLHOUETTE I've ever seen and trailing smoke from its' 4 RollsRoyce RB-211 (I think) engines. The plane was, of course, another example of British engineering at its' best (with the help of the French too it has to be said)...Concorde. What a plane, what a sight, what a sound.

Shame it wasn't a commercial success but still the most advanced passenger aircraft ever built.

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #287 on: February 29, 2008, 09:04:10 pm »
Nice post albertared, some fine choices. Just to clarify, Concorde had R-R/Snecma Olympus 593 engines. RB-211's are commonly found on 747s, 757s and 767s.

And for the record, the Trident ran R-R Spey engines.
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline albertared

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: March 1, 2008, 04:35:58 am »
Nice post albertared, some fine choices. Just to clarify, Concorde had R-R/Snecma Olympus 593 engines. RB-211's are commonly found on 747s, 757s and 767s.

And for the record, the Trident ran R-R Spey engines.

thanks for the info phil....i knew i shouldn't have winged it (pardon the pun) without googling first. you are 100% correct on the Concorde engines.

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #289 on: March 1, 2008, 03:07:33 pm »
VC-10

Fastest current commercial airliner i believe.
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Offline 7Dalglish

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #290 on: March 1, 2008, 05:22:14 pm »
Loud as fuck the VC-10, didn't know airlines were still using them though. I think the RAF still have them.

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: March 1, 2008, 05:23:27 pm »
Loud as fuck the VC-10, didn't know airlines were still using them though. I think the RAF still have them.

The only people that still use VC-10 are the RAF and a couple of African and Asian airlines whose main passengers are goats and boat people.

Sad, but true.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline 7Dalglish

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: March 1, 2008, 05:25:27 pm »

Seeing the VC-10 reminded me of this, the de Havilland Comet. I like the engines being part of the wing, looks very clean.

Offline 7Dalglish

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: March 1, 2008, 05:31:41 pm »

Built an airfix model of this and have seen one take off, amazing to watch. They go up like a rocket.

Another plane with an unmistakable sound and great climb rate.

Offline Rob K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #294 on: March 1, 2008, 05:42:03 pm »
The only people that still use VC-10 are the RAF and a couple of African and Asian airlines whose main passengers are goats and boat people.

Sad, but true.

Ah maybe it's just the fastest passenger plane then?  I can't remember the exact wording the RAF bloke used, was quite impressed though.

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: March 1, 2008, 05:44:54 pm »
Seeing the VC-10 reminded me of this, the de Havilland Comet. I like the engines being part of the wing, looks very clean.

Guess who the only people who have to get airborne in that are too? And they're bringing out a new version eventually, which will be the same 55 year old airframes...

Ah maybe it's just the fastest passenger plane then?  I can't remember the exact wording the RAF bloke used, was quite impressed though.

Dunno, like I say it is still in use by some airlines. Just none that are bothered about crashing occasionally.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Rob K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #296 on: March 1, 2008, 05:52:15 pm »
Dunno, like I say it is still in use by some airlines. Just none that are bothered about crashing occasionally.

;D That was never metioned unsurprisingly!  Just read that the VC-10 (and Tristars) are being replaced in 2011 with 14 Airbus A330s.

Offline 7Dalglish

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: March 1, 2008, 05:57:02 pm »
Guess who the only people who have to get airborne in that are too? And they're bringing out a new version eventually, which will be the same 55 year old airframes...

You talking about the Nimrod? I know that is based on the Comet.

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: March 1, 2008, 07:00:14 pm »
You talking about the Nimrod? I know that is based on the Comet.

Yep, the Nimrod MR.4 (once known as Nimrod 2000 until that got embarassing) is due any decade now...

;D That was never metioned unsurprisingly!  Just read that the VC-10 (and Tristars) are being replaced in 2011 with 14 Airbus A330s.

So I've heard, although I don't know how likely they are to be on time either.
« Last Edit: March 1, 2008, 07:47:28 pm by BIGdavalad »

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #299 on: March 1, 2008, 07:45:06 pm »

The Lightning is immense, would love to fly in one
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline Rob K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #300 on: March 1, 2008, 08:36:27 pm »
So I've heard, although I don't know how likely they are to be on time either.

They're already 2 years late... ::)

Offline JohnSullie

• van, missing in burma, any news contact Dave, Grace n' Terry
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: March 2, 2008, 08:23:16 am »
F-22 Raptor, aye.
Apparently the RAAF(OZZIES) are due to get a few,speculationfor now I guess.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #302 on: March 2, 2008, 12:25:39 pm »

Anyway, point of this is that, in a lull between landings, suddenly I heard a huge roar which got extremely loud, rivalling those described above, before it gradually diminished. Clearly there was an aircraft moving away from me down the runway but hidden from my view by the concrete sound/blast buffers they have strategically placed there.

After about 30 seconds a serene shape rose into the sky about a mile away, turned in a sharply-banked right turn showing the MOST BEAUTIFUL AIRCRAFT SILLHOUETTE I've ever seen and trailing smoke from its' 4 RollsRoyce RB-211 (I think) engines. The plane was, of course, another example of British engineering at its' best (with the help of the French too it has to be said)...Concorde. What a plane, what a sight, what a sound.

Shame it wasn't a commercial success but still the most advanced passenger aircraft ever built.

I used to love watching Concorde take off, or rather listening to it. Standing anywhere under the end of the runway and feeling that sound as it passed over is unforgettable. Power and beauty... shame it's gone.

I don't recall the occasion (think it was to do with the Battle of Britain but might have been the Queen's Jubilee) but I remember watching Concorde doing a flypast down the Mall in formation with the Red Arrows, followed by the Battle of Britain Memorial flight - Hurricane, Spitfire & Lancaster... another beautiful sound. (I may be mixing up two different occasions..)

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: March 2, 2008, 12:31:45 pm »
Not brilliant quality (and not one I was at) but this flypast includes the Battle of Britain Memorial flight as well as a VC-10 and Nimrod/Comet as mentioned above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5EigKLe-ZE
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: March 2, 2008, 12:41:25 pm »
Not brilliant quality (and not one I was at) but this flypast includes the Battle of Britain Memorial flight as well as a VC-10 and Nimrod/Comet as mentioned above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5EigKLe-ZE

added:

2002 Concorde/Red Arrows flypast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu21rM9ahkY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu21rM9ahkY&feature=related
« Last Edit: March 2, 2008, 12:43:22 pm by Alan_F »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: March 2, 2008, 03:49:16 pm »

« Last Edit: March 2, 2008, 03:52:32 pm by theCanadian »
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline alpha2omega

• Main Stander
  • some said GOD but we said Shankly
« Reply #306 on: March 2, 2008, 06:06:38 pm »
Fly Navy

F-4K with reheat!

cant post the pics??

Offline albertared

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: March 3, 2008, 07:36:57 am »
Thanks for the pics and videos, Alan F..the Spit/Lanc/Hurricane is almost exactly as I saw in their fly-past....awesome!

I have a Concorde story some might be interested in....

I was at Luton Airport a few years back, on sales business. I was talking to one of the management team and he told me this...

Apparantly, early in its' history, probably before it started commercial flights, Concorde was due to land at Luton for some kind of show-and-tell or some-such. It was being flown by one of the test pilots I believe.

He was on final approach when he radioed in for confirmation of the length of the runway. He was told that it was "as advertised" (5000 feet I seem to recall but could be wrong) and perfectly adequate for Concorde to stop safely.

Now, for those who don't know Luton, the main runway is not flat....it rises quite a bit to about the mid-point then drops away again. Further, close beyond the end of the runway is a fence then a steep bank that drops down probably a couple of hundred feet to houses, shops, etc.. (The Vauxhall/Bedford factory is off to the left).

Now, from a low-flying aircraft, apparently, what you see is a runway that only looks about 2000 feet long with the town right behind it.

According to "my guy" the pilot was right at "decision height" when he muttered to his co-pilot something along the lines of "screw this, I'm not going to plough this baby into Marks and Spencer" (possible poetic licence there!) and he jammed the throttles wide open, full re-heat and said "we're outta here...adios Luton!" (there may have been the odd F-word involved but that would be guessing)

Now, something else to know about Luton is that, due to the aforementioned proximity of habitation to the field, extreme noise-abatement measures have to be taken on take-off. It is quite disconcerting because it almost feels like the pilot shuts the engines down to nearly zero as soon as you are in the air, then banks away sharply to avoid the most dense housing areas. First time I experienced it I thought the engines had failed and we were going down.

So, back to our BAE/Aerospatiale wondercraft....as you know, this is a noisy bird....apparently our panicking pilot completely ignored said noise-abatement and kept the throttles all the way open, a sort of "up yours" gesture possibly . No doubt a glorious sight and sound but several windows were shattered in Luton simply due to the vibrations caused.

I am led to believe that, to this day, Concorde has never been to Luton.

And you always thought these things were all planned so perfectly that nothing could go wrong!

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: March 3, 2008, 07:52:49 am »
I used to love watching Concorde take off, or rather listening to it. Standing anywhere under the end of the runway and feeling that sound as it passed over is unforgettable. Power and beauty... shame it's gone.

When I was based in Windsor I always used to make sure I was outside at ten past ten (I think, it was six years ago!) because her landing run into Heathrow took her right over the TA Centre I worked at. It's an absolute crime that she's gone.

Those C-17s are absolutely fucking massive, completely dwarf the Herc.

Offline TonyTheRed

• NosedReindeer has a very qwertycock....
  • Legacy Fan
  • I've got a little black book with my poems in
« Reply #309 on: March 3, 2008, 07:56:57 am »
This was one mean mofo...

The Lightning. Used to hit the end of the runway then take off vertically, melting the end of the runway. ATC used to go fuckin' nuts!!

Commonly called 'a rocket with wings'
like one day u will find out im not female :)

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #310 on: March 3, 2008, 04:35:49 pm »
I went to Fairford a a couple of years ago, and we were walking round the outside of the airfield, and one of them C-17s came in to land, passing overhead..and seriously the ground shook. Fuckin epic thing. Really low as well, and made me jump a mile. ;D

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #311 on: March 3, 2008, 04:43:34 pm »
Concorde, fortunately the French actually still treat one of theirs with loving care such that theres still a chance it may fly again one day, unlike the BA examples which are rotting outdoors.

Disgrace.

Offline Lee J

• As Streetwise As An Owl - Twat Twooooo! What garden? Likes to have his nuts felt, especially now he is Tufty The Squirrel.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
    • Work website
« Reply #312 on: March 3, 2008, 04:49:29 pm »
I went to Fairford a a couple of years ago, and we were walking round the outside of the airfield, and one of them C-17s came in to land, passing overhead..and seriously the ground shook. Fuckin epic thing. Really low as well, and made me jump a mile. ;D

The C-5 Galaxy was (is?) bigger I think.  I remember, long ago, being at and RAF base in Hampshire (or was it Wiltshire  ???) after they had had a visit from a C-5.  The guy I was talking too said he had a conversation with the pilot that went something like "we're not used to supplying so much fuel to one aircraft" to which the reply was "we're not used to taking so little"  :)
As a young man Cameron looked out on the social carnage of pit closures and mass unemployment, looked at Margaret Thatcher's government and thought, these are my people. When all the debating is done, that is really all I need to know.

Offline BootleRed

• Kopite
  • Put yerself in my shoes for a change!
« Reply #313 on: March 3, 2008, 07:29:53 pm »
Would have been Wiltshire mate - Lyneham.
We're not English -We are Scouse.

Offline Britvic Orange

• Bitter lemon
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #314 on: March 3, 2008, 11:35:32 pm »
VC-10

Fastest current commercial airliner i believe.
top plane the VC-10 also love seeing 747's

Offline Lee J

• As Streetwise As An Owl - Twat Twooooo! What garden? Likes to have his nuts felt, especially now he is Tufty The Squirrel.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
    • Work website
« Reply #315 on: March 4, 2008, 11:25:26 am »
Would have been Wiltshire mate - Lyneham.

Just remembered it was RAF Odiham (hampshire), helicopter base (used to be Puma and Chinook, seems like the Pumas have since relocated?).  The arrival of a C-5 was big news, given the length of the runway.  Then again, it was a long time ago and the old noggin is a bit fuzzy  ::)  I think it was just before or during Gulf War I.
As a young man Cameron looked out on the social carnage of pit closures and mass unemployment, looked at Margaret Thatcher's government and thought, these are my people. When all the debating is done, that is really all I need to know.

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: March 4, 2008, 01:03:26 pm »
Just remembered it was RAF Odiham (hampshire), helicopter base (used to be Puma and Chinook, seems like the Pumas have since relocated?).  The arrival of a C-5 was big news, given the length of the runway.  Then again, it was a long time ago and the old noggin is a bit fuzzy  ::)  I think it was just before or during Gulf War I.

All the Pumas (the ones not deployed getting sandy anyway) are in Benson or Aldergrove. They're all getting upgraded soon because the run out date for the HC.1 version kicks in in a couple of years.

Offline BootleRed

• Kopite
  • Put yerself in my shoes for a change!
« Reply #317 on: March 4, 2008, 11:30:29 pm »
Really surprised Odiham could take a C5 to be honest which is why I said Lyneham.
BDL....good to see you still yearn..!!
We're not English -We are Scouse.

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: March 5, 2008, 07:54:56 am »
BDL....good to see you still yearn..!!

:D

That's what happens when you call a Mod a crab.

Offline NewHampshire_Exile

• Ambassador
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.YNWA.TV
« Reply #319 on: May 7, 2008, 05:03:18 pm »
just to let you know that in cape town there is a flying school that has the very rare 2 seater English Electric Lightning. and yes you can pay to fly in it...
not sure if it was always theres or they bought the one that used to be at Binbrook (that I so nearly got to fly in).. hell of an experience though...

also of the same era.. XH558 is back in the air   http://youtube.com/watch?v=7-x43MKI6LY