Author Topic: Sky+ HD / Sky Q Thread  (Read 166442 times)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Sky+ HD / Sky Q Thread
« Reply #840 on: October 8, 2021, 01:48:32 am »
Haha. Fuck that. I pay £21 for fibre, £10 for Netflix, £7 for Prime, and stream anything else online via Flixtor etc. Sky are ripping off people.

Same here, but CinemaHD and a bit more for fibre to get a 500mb connection.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #841 on: October 8, 2021, 02:05:51 am »
Same here, but CinemaHD and a bit more for fibre to get a 500mb connection.

I’d pay more for that type of speed, but Chester is a bit of a village really, I’d say probably about 8 years behind London (as I was on the same speed when I moved to London in 2013). Luckily, the Labour council have made big changes over the last 5 years (Dutch style cycle system also in the works I’ve been told) after so many years of Tory nimbyism, so I’m hoping fibre infrastructure is on their list too.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #842 on: October 8, 2021, 09:29:27 am »
What’s Netflix premium? Paying extra to Sky?

If you are on Ultra HD with Sky you get the full Ultra HD Netflix package, and it still only costs £5 or £6 through Sky

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #843 on: October 8, 2021, 09:31:15 am »
Sky Glass.

QLED TV from Sky with built in Sky services. No dish required. 43", 55" and 65" models. Also has a built in Soundbar.

https://www.sky.com/glass

Without a dish, how are they delivering the content, is this all delivered via the internet?

Interested, but if all via internet, put off by the broadcast delay. And single point of failure if your exchange goes down, with not even freeview backup.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #844 on: October 8, 2021, 09:54:46 am »
If you are on Ultra HD with Sky you get the full Ultra HD Netflix package, and it still only costs £5 or £6 through Sky

Yeah the Netflix deal through Sky is actually good.

As for streaming stuff though all sorts of weird and wonderful methods. Not for me.  I like the recording feature on Sky, on demand and catch up etc.  Go Liverpool home and away and I like to record the full game to watch back at the simple press of a couple of buttons.

Will call them up and try and get 20 quid or so off and I'll be happy.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #845 on: October 8, 2021, 10:19:44 am »
Without a dish, how are they delivering the content, is this all delivered via the internet?

Interested, but if all via internet, put off by the broadcast delay. And single point of failure if your exchange goes down, with not even freeview backup.

Yeah it’s over Internet. If it was 120Hz TV I’d consider it, but the fact it’s only 60Hz, plus broadcast delay which I asked about on the Sky help forums means I won’t be tempted.

The new build house I bought last year is tricky for a Sky dish, we went with Virgin because it’s pre-wired but I despise their customer services and when my deal runs out in May they’ll be too expensive.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #846 on: October 8, 2021, 07:10:51 pm »
Sky Glass screams forced adverts at some point

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #847 on: October 8, 2021, 11:51:57 pm »
They appear to be forcing the ads on me on every site I’ve been on, not working though cos don’t need a need telly :D

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #848 on: October 9, 2021, 10:50:44 am »
Why not just release a standalone app instead of a whole TV and a ugly one at that

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #849 on: October 9, 2021, 11:46:17 am »
Why not just release a standalone app instead of a whole TV and a ugly one at that

Because it's an additional revenue stream, one which brings customers in and ties them in for longer.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #850 on: October 9, 2021, 12:14:26 pm »
Because it's an additional revenue stream, one which brings customers in and ties them in for longer.

I dont see the appeal for the customer though, that sounds good for sky but who's going to want another tv on top of the one they already have, which could be alot worse if you have a top end model and then to be tied to a service when other streaming models are monthly contracts and don't require additional hardware.

Also they want an extra fiver after a year to skip ads  ;D

Nah.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #851 on: October 9, 2021, 12:24:57 pm »
I dont see the appeal for the customer though, that sounds good for sky but who's going to want another tv on top of the one they already have, which could be alot worse if you have a top end model and then to be tied to a service when other streaming models are monthly contracts and don't require additional hardware.

Also they want an extra fiver after a year to skip ads  ;D

They prob aren't targeting the top end people though who spend £2k+ on a TV, they are prob looking at targeting your every day families who are happy to spend on Sky and may fancy a new TV - the pricing prob works out quite well for a family in that regard, and for Sky it gets them locked in for longer at a time where more and more streaming platforms are likely cutting into their revenues.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #852 on: October 9, 2021, 02:35:40 pm »
Our main set went south about a month ago, if this was about then I’d of jumped at it.  I’m still kinda tempted even after splashing out £1k on a new TV.   My missus hates wires, she prefers spiders, this would be great for her.

There’s a market for this, definitely.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #853 on: October 11, 2021, 05:44:38 pm »
With Sky do other people have problems watching certain catch up episodes?

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #854 on: October 11, 2021, 06:25:23 pm »
With Sky do other people have problems watching certain catch up episodes?
Not that I'm aware. Which shows?

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #855 on: October 11, 2021, 07:13:31 pm »
Not that I'm aware. Which shows?
I'm told by my daughter Bake Off and Goggle Box.
Thanks mate

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #856 on: October 12, 2021, 07:53:48 am »
have you got shit internet John? ;D

Fine here with All4 stuff.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #857 on: October 12, 2021, 10:58:24 pm »
have you got shit internet John? ;D

Fine here with All4 stuff.
I think it's fine but my daughters do a lot of complaining about it :) The youngest reckons she's read that there's a fault somewhere so I'll check again in the next day or so.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #858 on: October 13, 2021, 10:55:11 am »
if the box is on wifi (believe they do this if you're on sky internet) then consider moving it on ethernet, you can also connect your mini via ethernet using home plugs. There's some settings changes you need to do that I can't remember off the top of my head but if you want to do it let me know and I'll find out what they are.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #859 on: October 13, 2021, 09:54:30 pm »
It's on the front room box which is connected/cabled to the dish. Gonna get my daughter to looker closer then I'll phone up.
Cheers Claire.

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #860 on: October 15, 2021, 03:32:05 pm »
I think it's fine but my daughters do a lot of complaining about it :) The youngest reckons she's read that there's a fault somewhere so I'll check again in the next day or so.

Run a Speedtest on your internet to rule out any speed connection issues.

https://www.speedtest.net/

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #861 on: October 20, 2021, 08:01:54 pm »
Can you share Sky with another household eg via Sky Go at the minimum?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #862 on: October 20, 2021, 08:05:01 pm »

I use my Dad's Sky Go account all the time on my iPad / on my TV via Xbox.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #863 on: October 20, 2021, 08:10:12 pm »
I use my Dad's Sky Go account all the time on my iPad / on my TV via Xbox.
Ah nice. No additional cost? Going to let cousin use mine.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #864 on: October 20, 2021, 08:13:12 pm »
Ah nice. No additional cost? Going to let cousin use mine.

Pretty sure Sky Go comes as standard with all the packages.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #865 on: October 20, 2021, 10:22:47 pm »
Pretty sure Sky Go comes as standard with all the packages.
Cheers Craig. Will try tomorrow.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #866 on: October 22, 2021, 02:54:26 pm »
Shouldn't be an issue sharing it, there doesn't seem to be the stupid device count lock any more, you get more devices if you have stuff like multiroom but I couldn't tell you where it says how many you're allowed because I need to find that out myself.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #867 on: October 22, 2021, 02:59:46 pm »

Yes.  We have Sky ‘VIP’ meaning we’ve been with them for over fifteen years, as a result we have six logins for Sky Go.  My brother, Nieces, Nephew and a couple of mates all use it via consoles, tablets etc.  Works extremely well and still within Skys EUA.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #868 on: October 22, 2021, 03:02:27 pm »
Shouldn't be an issue sharing it, there doesn't seem to be the stupid device count lock any more, you get more devices if you have stuff like multiroom but I couldn't tell you where it says how many you're allowed because I need to find that out myself.

Depending on what package you have and how long you’ve been with them, best case scenario is five or six.  On a device logged in to sky go you can go to ‘my devices’ and see the list of users, also change the names which is really helpful, you’re allowed to change one device per month.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #869 on: October 22, 2021, 03:13:42 pm »
I think the device changes per month has gone now, we've got VIP. Does it not say anywhere how many it is?

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #870 on: October 22, 2021, 03:18:16 pm »
I think the device changes per month has gone now, we've got VIP. Does it not say anywhere how many it is?

Under devices the most Ive ever seen is six, fairly certain that’s the amount.  Pretty decent really. Its not like Sky to give stuff away, but they’re more than fair with Sky Go.

Offline red annie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #871 on: October 23, 2021, 07:48:19 am »

How many devices can I register?
You can register up to 6 devices for Sky Go. Registration happens automatically when you use the app. If you then use a 7th device, we’ll swap out the one you use least – if the device swapped out has downloads, they will be removed. You can check which devices you have registered by selecting ‘Settings’ followed by ‘Manage Devices’.

Copied from FAQs in the settings page in the Sky Go app

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #872 on: October 23, 2021, 07:14:05 pm »
You can register up to 6 devices for Sky Go. Registration happens automatically when you use the app. If you then use a 7th device, we’ll swap out the one you use least – if the device swapped out has downloads, they will be removed. You can check which devices you have registered by selecting ‘Settings’ followed by ‘Manage Devices’.

I thought it was only two (it certainly used to be)?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #873 on: October 23, 2021, 11:16:51 pm »
Nope I definitely had 3 assigned under app when checking.

Thanks all for the help.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #874 on: October 24, 2021, 01:38:06 pm »

Has def been more than two for quite a while, for me anyway, as I have had 4 devices registered for prob 5+ years.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #875 on: October 25, 2021, 09:39:35 am »

Thanks for that, I've just had a look and it is a bit confusing because reading it all there's some caveats and it seems the multiroom gives you 'sky go extra' which enables you to watch on two devices at the same time which is the thing I guess we were having problems with. Doesn't mention the monthly thing any more and just that it'd switch out the least used device when you hit 6 devices.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #876 on: October 26, 2021, 08:23:42 am »
It's six devices, with any new device replacing those without downloads first, if all devices have downloads the new device swaps in for the one last used.  Those with a standard Sky subscription can watch two devices concurrently.  Those with Sky Go Extra (you can pay extra for this or get it free depending on VIP status) or Sky Multiroom can watch four devices at once.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #877 on: November 15, 2021, 02:25:04 pm »
I forgot how atrocious the Sky Go app is!!!! Watching a series on there and never mind not being able to skip ads, you can't even mute them!!!

I am not sure they could even pay me to take a Sky TV

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #878 on: November 17, 2021, 11:44:36 am »
The worst thing, or at least the most annoying thing, about the Sky Go app is how the programme guide handles a change from one day to the next. Rather than being able to scroll from 11pm to 12am+ to stops and you have to go to "tomorrow" to see anything. So if you're looking at stuff starting at say 11.30-12am you'll often have to click back and forward from today to tomorrow so see what it is.

Offline Danny Singh

• Main Stander
« Reply #879 on: November 20, 2021, 11:26:50 am »
Hi guys,

Is there any difference in picture quality between Sky and Virgin when watching Skysports in HD? Some people have said Sky have a sharper picture whereas Virgin have gone backwards slightly. Does anyone have either and can confirm please?

I'm playing both off with eachother and looking for a deal (Broadband and TV with Skysports and BT Sport in HD). Virgin called me and can do for £70ish but don't think Skysports is in HD which is no good and the Volt bundle is too expensive.

Anyone know the best way to haggle with Sky?

Just moved into my new home and need to get this setup to go with my 65" A80J so I can watch the redmen in full effect!

Any help would be much appreciated!