Author Topic: Has not being in Europe this season had any effect on the club?  (Read 8339 times)

Offline Garcepticon

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Has not being in Europe this season had any effect on the club?
« on: January 23, 2012, 08:02:54 pm »
If so, which positive or negative ramifications can we identify?

Offline Nazi Dickhead

• Legacy Fan
  • Man moth?
Re: Has not being in Europe this season had any effect on the club?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 08:04:50 pm »
Effected the fans, we are all disappointed we are not in the Champions League and at the moment, don't look like being there anytime soon.

You want your team to be at the top level, especially as we know not 5-6 years ago we were in the final of one of the biggest footballing competitions in the world.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 08:06:41 pm by adam18 »
-YNWA-

Offline Redeo

• Kopite
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 08:05:32 pm »
If so, which positive or negative ramifications can we identify?
What do you think?
It's a website mate. Names can't be named. If they were, there'd be mutiny. If they aren't, people will scream ... ask for proof. But you will never find 100% proof of anything on here. So, .. look at all evidence, weigh everything up and make a decision.

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 08:06:40 pm »
Is this a trick question
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline Heighwayondawing

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on The Reds
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 08:07:27 pm »
Well, I was hoping the lack of European play would have our players ready to leave it on the pitch for every league match and get LFC over the issue with dropping points to the lower half of the league. That hasn't happened, at all so for me there has been no effect. We'll see how it effects the club's ability to lure and sign top players.
The one most important thing that we all must remember, in case it slipped our mind, is this club is much more important and bigger than anybody. I'll never forget that and anybody that does is being a wee bit irresponsible and stupid I think because the club is more important than any one individual. The Club is, The Club.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 08:07:39 pm »
It's hard to say. If we were in the Europa league we might of played some of the lads into form and given the lads on the fringes and in the academy some match time. But on the whole I don't think it would make a huge difference.

Offline LiverpoolForever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exit Calm new single ''The Rapture'' out Feb 18.
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 08:08:33 pm »
Not sure but i seem to remember some saying not being in the Europa would help our league form.

I hope that theory has now been put to bed , our young/fringe players are not getting games now , i reckon that has been a problem.

Offline Jimmyjames

• Main Stander
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 08:10:47 pm »
The only positive i initally saw was that it freed us up to totally focus on the league but as that hasn't gone to plan i can't think of any positives. The negatives: Less opportunities for some of the youngsters to have a run out (in the easier ties), no balmy nights at Anfield and finally that gut wrenching feeling that we have lost touch and are no longer allowed to 'play' with the big boys...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 08:16:10 pm by Jimmyjames »

Offline Adam_LFC

• Boring.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 08:13:22 pm »
One of the biggest negatives is I am worried about the calibre of footballer we can attract now. Suarez has been an exception and it doesn't look like we will be able to pull something like that off anytime soon.

And of course the more time we are out of Europe the less likely our top players will want to remain here.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 08:13:37 pm »
Obviously from a monetary point of view its a negative. Add to that the fact that the club hasn't had that classic European night atmosphere

But the biggest negative is that the attitude its given the players. They should be playing like a team that wants European football not a team that expects it to be there come May.

The fact is we are Liverpool football Club 1999/2001. Not LFC 2004/2005

« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 08:18:46 pm by gazzalfc »

Offline Jimmyjames

• Main Stander
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 08:15:15 pm »
One of the biggest negatives is I am worried about the calibre of footballer we can attract now. Suarez has been an exception and it doesn't look like we will be able to pull something like that off anytime soon.

And of course the more time we are out of Europe the less likely our top players will want to remain here.

Spot on mate.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 08:15:44 pm »
I think it has impacted upon the performance of the squad players who bar Chelsea away in the League cup have just looked seriously undercooked.
Kenny hasn't had the chance to see Kelly stick 3 or 4 good games in the same month and push for a place because we haven't had the games.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 08:17:23 pm »
I don't think the Europa has any effect one way or another. Spurs have had a brilliant season and were in it for a bit.

Personally I think English clubs in particular view this tournament as even less a priority as the carling cup; the amount of games you play is ridiculous, the atmosphere is terrible, the kick off times are terrible, even the anthem is terrible. City and United will play their second string teams in it just as Spurs did.

The only bad thing about not being in it this season is that we have no excuse for our seemingly lack of fitness or freshness in some games.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Classic goal

• Kopite
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 08:18:29 pm »
It's made getting back into the top four sooooooooo much easier. Foolish attitude of many last season not wanting to be in Europe. Liverpool should always be in Europe.

Offline Garcepticon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 08:20:40 pm »
Is this a trick question

There was a lot of debate at the end of last season about whether the Europa League would have been good for us, and since we didn't get there I haven't seen much debate on the matter.

What do you think?

There are load of possible effects, I think that Europe could have been great for Andy Carroll, he wouldn't have been 'dropped' for so many games and he could have been played into form.

Kenny could have experimented with more partnerships across the pitch. Enrique would be shattered. We'd know more about Coates. I'd have seen three more games at Anfield this season, and I rarely get the opportunity. We'd know if Doni is actually a goalkeeper or just a mascot.

I think it has impacted upon the performance of the squad players who bar Chelsea away in the League cup have just looked seriously undercooked.
Kenny hasn't had the chance to see Kelly stick 3 or 4 good games in the same month and push for a place because we haven't had the games.

And with that in mind it could have helped us get to fourth as we'd have more players ready to fill in when players drop off.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 08:24:18 pm by Garcepticon »

Offline Jimmyjames

• Main Stander
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 08:26:31 pm »
Can't quite fathom how anyone in their right mind would rather us not be in Europe even if that means the Europa. Mickey Mouse or not it is a nice little earner, gives us a change to bed in new players/formations, gives the younger players a taste of what to expect and it is a trophy at end of the day. Yes, the early stages are drab but if you get to the semi and final you can guarantee magic nights at Anfield. Didn't see anyone complaining in 2001 8)

Offline petrichor

• Kopite
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 08:29:21 pm »
makes it easier for us to win domestic cups
better to win a cup than getting in top 4, eh?

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 08:30:57 pm »
Not being in Europe and especially the top comp is always a let down - but at the end of last season came about and the start of this began, the consensus from myself and my match going fraternity was, get back to basics and doing well in the league is the most important thing.

As much as we'd all love to be in the CL, the league is the priority and our performances in that. What effect it has on us not being in the CL other than a financial one is immeasurable as it's based on guess work. Though how well we'd of done is very debatable looking at our form this season.

The bread and butter is all that matters for me.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 08:32:47 pm »
It's made getting back into the top four sooooooooo much easier. Foolish attitude of many last season not wanting to be in Europe. Liverpool should always be in Europe.
Bingo

The attitude from a lot of posters last season was "this'll do fucking wonders for us in the league, we can concetrate domestically and take advantage of other teams having more games" when the reality is that up against the shittest chelsea since roman bought them and the shittest arsenal in many, many years, we're still making them look good.

Being out of europ is shit, i don't care what competition it is. Any silverware is good silverware and if by a miracle we could win the CC (another massively undervalued trophy) and get a place in the europa it would be a massive, massive help.
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline Base21

• Main Stander
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 08:36:48 pm »

They were showing our game vs. West Ham in the FA Cup final in 2007 on TV... I remembered the buzz I had before getting Morientes, and even though he didn't turn out to be as good as we hoped, he left without much fuss, and we continued to attract big names... It was a great pleasure to view the papers and see the names we are attached with...

Now, I'm dreading most of those names... many who don't have any good credentials what so ever to compete... they are simply (NOT WINNERS)... and that's exactly what we need at this moment... WINNERS... players who are welling to chase the ball back from anywhere, players who respect that their wages are not just a reward for finishing a week at the club, but rather a small treat after a real spirit-lifter...

Kenny is as good as they come, but he's been out of it for sometime, plus, Comolli's transfer targets/dealings have been quite awkward to say the least...

You would ask me "what does this has to do with the subject"... Simple... Being out of Europe should act as a motivation to get back to it, and not only to players, but fans alike... we're not supposed to be there just because we are Liverpool and because we won it 5 times... History is History... We should go for it, and help any man in Red, bad or good, to motivate them into it...

Sadly I haven't seen much of that so far this season... I know we're all disappointed, but the sooner we're over our disappointment and frustration and carry on with what we have... the better
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, 08:38:48 pm »
Bingo

The attitude from a lot of posters last season was "this'll do fucking wonders for us in the league, we can concetrate domestically and take advantage of other teams having more games" when the reality is that up against the shittest chelsea since roman bought them and the shittest arsenal in many, many years, we're still making them look good.

Being out of europ is shit, i don't care what competition it is. Any silverware is good silverware and if by a miracle we could win the CC (another massively undervalued trophy) and get a place in the europa it would be a massive, massive help.
The Carling Cup is massive to this management team and group of players.

Win it and Europe in some form at least is secured and a 6 year monkey is off our back.

Offline Jimmyjames

• Main Stander
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 08:39:41 pm »
Bingo

This. All that 'blessing in disguise' shite - we need to push for every trophy we can, Carling and Europa included. Been waaaayyyyy too long for us to turn our noses up.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 08:49:02 pm »

Win it and Europe in some form at least is secured and a 6 year monkey is off our back.

And the pressure of having to 'qualify' for Europe will be gone, which in turn will probably result in us playing a better, more relaxed style of football.
Nothing gonna make you fail like the pressure of having to win.
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline bigbear

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 08:51:06 pm »
And the pressure of having to 'qualify' for Europe will be gone, which in turn will probably result in us playing a better, more relaxed style of football.
Nothing gonna make you fail like the pressure of having to win.

and if 4th place becomes unattainable we have the perfect chance to try a couple of kids.

Offline Oscarmac

• Kenny is King
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 08:51:18 pm »
not being in europe will stop some players from signing for us
They are only great because we are on our knees......let us arise!

Offline Brandon@Flowers

• is a Mormon (with a lapsed m)
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2012, 08:52:42 pm »
Is this a serious question?

Offline IndianaRed

• Aaarghhh!!!!... my eyes!!!!... my eyes!!!!..
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2012, 08:54:25 pm »
i think not being in europe has possibly enabled us to get further in the domestic cups

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2012, 08:56:28 pm »
Are they the players we really want then?
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2012, 08:57:08 pm »
and if 4th place becomes unattainable we have the perfect chance to try a couple of kids.

Correct, we can use certain 'run in' games as our Europa/Carling games.
Second leg is massive, even bigger than the game at the weekend, winning this cup would release loads of pressure. Let's hope we can finish the job.
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline petrichor

• Kopite
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2012, 08:58:56 pm »

not showing ambition to get into CL would stop top players from signing for us

Offline Zelnaga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2012, 09:00:52 pm »

This. Comolli talking shite when he said he was "suprised" by the amount of big names that wanted to join our club. If big he means Henderson, Adam and Downing I'd dread of who he thinks is World Class!

P.s Not slagging the players off just using them to make my point.

If your happy with the current situation were in, then god help this club! Our fans are slowly accepting mediocrity!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 09:03:38 pm by Zelnaga »

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2012, 09:16:52 pm »

I don't think many top class modern day players would find the name "Liverpool FC" to be the only enticement they need. The very best will want to play at the top level, and that means Champions League football. To say we wouldn't want them is ridiculous. We got lucky with Suarez. Would we get lucky again?

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2012, 09:24:22 pm »

Spot on this mate. Always think the League cup is worth going for. Even more so this season since we had no european games and only 3 trophies to aim for when the season started. For me it's taken on even more importance as the season has gone on. As it stands, winning the Carling Cup is are most likely avenue back into european football. For me the european qualification aspect of the carling cup is almost as important as winning the trophy itself.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline stevied

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2012, 09:51:43 pm »

Agreed and if we were in Europe i doubt with the ties we have had this year in the Carling Cup we woul have reached the semi's
i can tip em but cant back em

RAWK Aintree tipping champ 2013

Offline Anthony

• Snot a Sailing Specialist. Has not signed for Manchester United. Misses Santa's knee!!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We don't need anyone to tell us this is golden...
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2012, 10:02:56 pm »
Liverpool's UEFA Ranking Points 2010/11 - 15.6714

Liverpool's UEFA Ranking Points so far 2011/12 - 2.475

Liverpool's UEFA Ranking at the end of last season - 5th - http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method4/trank2011.html

Liverpool's UEFA Ranking currently - 10th - http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method4/trank2012.html

If we do manage to qualify for the Champions League we are likely to be struggling to make Pot 1
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 10:06:32 pm by Anthony »
"We will win the European Cup one day. Aim for the moon and end up among the stars" - Gérard Houllier 2001

Thankyou Rafa and Jürgen  for taking us to Heaven!

"Hicks could have purchased Dallas' MLS franchise but decided not to. 'In hindsight, I probably made the wrong decision' he said" - Sports Illustrated/AP 2007

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2012, 10:08:38 pm »
To be fair.  Yes it has effected us but we will only gauge how much at the end of the season.

If we can hit a run of form and grab fourth then I think it will have been worth it.  If we don't then we must strengthen on the basis of entering the UEFA Cup.

From what I've seen this season, we certainly do not have the depth to compete in Europe at the moment.

Offline Jersey

• Kopite
  • Belgian Red
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2012, 10:11:19 pm »
Not sure if this question is serious, but we gotta watch out for our ranking. Not being in Europe will have consequences in the future.
No retreat baby, no surrender

Offline eirwen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2012, 10:17:55 pm »
Is this a joke?

Offline 1021

• AD MXXI
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2012, 10:17:56 pm »
Liverpool's UEFA Ranking Points 2010/11 - 15.6714

Liverpool's UEFA Ranking Points so far 2011/12 - 2.475

Liverpool's UEFA Ranking at the end of last season - 5th - http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method4/trank2011.html

Liverpool's UEFA Ranking currently - 10th - http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method4/trank2012.html

If we do manage to qualify for the Champions League we are likely to be struggling to make Pot 1

How far we've fallen,.
A lack of European football has been a massive loss, and will continue to be.
It is essential we get back in the European places and soon.

For me, you have to be doing well in Europe to have success domestically, there's no room for focusing on the 'bread and butter', to be a top Club, to challenge in your league, you have to be a force in Europe too.
I got the Lucas thing wrong. Will be right on Henderson though. Play him RM, play him CM - Not good enough and never will be.

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2012, 10:24:53 pm »
Our UEFA coefficient will suffer and the long term consequences are not good,

On the pitch one could argue no Europe means players getting more rest but we've seen how that hasn't worked out for a multitude of reasons.

Hate to say it but competitively, given our current squad, we wouldn't have been able to compete much anyway.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....