Author Topic: Charles Banknotes To Enter Circulation In June  (Read 1019 times)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Charles Banknotes To Enter Circulation In June
« on: February 21, 2024, 01:30:27 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68358277

New banknotes featuring the image of King Charles will enter circulation on 5 June, the Bank of England has announced.

The King's portrait will be the only change to existing designs of £5, £10, £20 and £50 notes, and new notes will replace damaged or worn older ones.

Coins featuring the King are already found in people's change but banknotes required lots of preparation.

Shoppers can and will still be able to use Queen Elizabeth II banknotes.

The reverse side of current polymer Bank of England banknotes, which in ascending order feature Sir Winston Churchill, Jane Austen, JMW Turner and Alan Turing, will be unchanged.

Low-serial numbered notes on new issues are of huge interest to collectors. They will be sold during the summer at auctioneers Spink & Son.

In addition to the auctions, members of the public will be able to enter a ballot to purchase a set of notes. The money raised will be donated to charity.

They will also be able to exchange a limited value of current or old series notes for new King Charles notes, through the Bank of England, for a short time from 5 June.

In April last year, the BBC was given exclusive access to the highly-secure site where notes are being produced for the Bank of England.

However, machines such as self-service tills needed time to recognise the new image which is why it has taken so long for them to enter circulation.

The Queen Elizabeth notes that are already in circulation - some 4.7 billion of them, worth £82bn - can still be used in the shops, even after the new notes enter circulation. The King Charles notes will only replace them when they are no longer fit for use, or when there is any increased demand.

The first Bank of England note to feature Queen Elizabeth II's portrait was a £1 note issued in 1960.

The Royal household has given guidance encouraging such a move, rather than a wholesale switch, in order to minimise the environmental and financial impact of the change.

This month, King Charles's preferred crown is replacing Queen Elizabeth II's favoured symbol on the government's website, marking his role of the head of state.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
Re: Charles Banknotes To Enter Circulation In June
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2024, 02:09:25 pm »
Chuck Bucks.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2024, 04:11:45 pm »
Never gave it a seconds thought but yeah they'll have to change it all won't they

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2024, 04:13:50 pm »
Long term it will but  that's more than a few years away.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2024, 06:28:28 pm »
Never gave it a seconds thought but yeah they'll have to change it all won't they

Not necessarily. Before decimalisation it wasn't unusual to have a coin in your pocket with Victoria's head on it. Back in the 80s, I was still coming across two shilling pieces with George VI from 1948 - at least before they resized the 5p and 10p's. Once we even came across a George V shilling from the 1930s.

Even the new polymer bank notes won't last as long as any coins, but don't be surprised if Lizzie is still knocking around on coins in the 2060s when Wills is on the throne.

I've always had an interest in coins and notes. Got a few AA tenners when they were first released a few years back. I might try to get hold of some of these low-serial number notes from the BoE as they can be quite collectable.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2024, 06:29:20 pm »
I thought Charlie had been on banknotes for years?

Waheeeeey!

Offline spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2024, 12:51:17 am »
What happens if he pops his clogs or quits due to bad health?    Go through it all again with wills

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2024, 01:03:56 am »
Have to say, I really like the plastic banknote I have with the Queen. It's quite a unique item here on mainland Europe I think. Don't have any Euros like that and don't really know of a currency that has those kind of notes, not that I'm really interested in currencies and would know what they're using elsewhere in the world.

Online TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2024, 07:42:55 am »
Cash is all a bit redundant nowadays anyway, generally speaking of course.  Get with the digital age.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2024, 11:44:22 am »
Have to say, I really like the plastic banknote I have with the Queen. It's quite a unique item here on mainland Europe I think. Don't have any Euros like that and don't really know of a currency that has those kind of notes, not that I'm really interested in currencies and would know what they're using elsewhere in the world.

Canada uses polymer notes. When I was in the US back in 2016, I crossed the border to check out Niagara Falls, and used the cash machines there.

What happens if he pops his clogs or quits due to bad health?    Go through it all again with wills

Coins can be produced years in advance. They're typically introduced gradually in response to natural wastage, except in the case of special edition coins that will get a specific release date.

Since Charlie came on the throne (  :o ) I've only come across one 50p with his head on it, and that was blind luck. They're clearly being snapped up by collectors so aren't making it very far into circulation. But there are likely still millions of Lizzie coins still in storage waiting to be released, and there won't be any wholesale changes when Chuck pops off.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2024, 12:01:40 pm »

Waheeeeey!

;D
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Online Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2024, 12:03:40 pm »
Cash is all a bit redundant nowadays anyway, generally speaking of course.  Get with the digital age.

Agreed. Every time you pay with your phone a big portrait of Charles should pop up on the screen.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2024, 12:05:19 pm »

Waheeeeey!

Sniff

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2024, 12:34:08 pm »
What's the rush? Postbox across from my house still has VR on it, and that's not Virtual Reality, by the way.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2024, 12:52:38 pm »
Agreed. Every time you pay with your phone a big portrait of Charles should pop up on the screen.

My brother the Apple fan boy went to India with no cash and no plastic thinking his Apple Pay will obviously be accepted everywhere, because it’s Apple innit… didn’t work out that and he spent the whole time sponging off me because I took cash and plastic.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2024, 12:53:45 pm »

Forget that, don’t need banks, the Mrs and HMRC knowing where I’m spending my hard earned money.
Thinking is overrated.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2024, 12:54:41 pm »
I paid for almost everything by card in the Isle of Man. You can use mainland currency there, but you can't use Manx money in the UK, and I couldn't be arsed at the prospect of having to change it at a bank. Bit like Scottish notes.

Popcorn's Art

Online wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2024, 01:25:04 pm »
What happens if he pops his clogs or quits due to bad health?
Couple of days off work, hopefully.

Online Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2024, 01:28:00 pm »
Can't remember the last time I used a banknote.

The thought of going to ATMs and using cash and having pocketfuls of change just seems weird now.

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2024, 01:33:06 pm »
Can't remember the last time I used a banknote.

The thought of going to ATMs and using cash and having pocketfuls of change just seems weird now.

I had the need to go to Kwik Fit the other week as I had a puncture. They didn't take any money from me, and I went to my wallet give the lad a tenner tip. I had no cash, felt like shit about it. I have made sure I've had cash in my pocket since.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2024, 02:04:35 pm »
My brother the Apple fan boy went to India with no cash and no plastic thinking his Apple Pay will obviously be accepted everywhere, because it’s Apple innit… didn’t work out that and he spent the whole time sponging off me because I took cash and plastic.

recently? they seem to have some sort of QR payment system at 90% of places now, some accept apple pay too.
YNWA.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2024, 02:26:31 pm »
What's the rush? Postbox across from my house still has VR on it, and that's not Virtual Reality, by the way.
Vic Reeves!?
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2024, 03:23:11 pm »

Or he knew it before you went ;D
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2024, 04:21:51 pm »
recently? they seem to have some sort of QR payment system at 90% of places now, some accept apple pay too.

A week ago! Yeah, there’s this PayTM service that had stickers for it everywhere in Delhi which I am guessing is the thing your referring to but even in places like McNasty's in Amritsar his Apple Pay didn’t work.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2024, 04:23:04 pm »
Thinking is overrated.

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #25 on: March 2, 2024, 06:47:49 am »
Was just in Toronto and their cash has queen Elizabeth on, I pointed out to two shopkeepers that they would be getting Charles grid on them soon and they were completely surprised. I think they knew she was dead but had not worked out the notes would be changed.