Author Topic: UK GE and Local Elections, plus polls, and policy.  (Read 26474 times)

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
Re: UK General Election 24/25?
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2023, 07:33:37 pm »
I tend to think Nov as well, after that they really are dicing with a winter crisis in the NHS dominating the headlines

I don't think they'll go the same time as the US - read something that the security services both sides of the Atlantic have deep reservations about them happening within days of each other.

Think they'll go either June - or January 2025.

It still wouldn't shock me if he called it early December 2023 for an January 2024 election - base it purely on the flights - go for an 'who runs the country' narrative.
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2023, 10:44:55 pm »
I don't think they'll go the same time as the US - read something that the security services both sides of the Atlantic have deep reservations about them happening within days of each other.

Think they'll go either June - or January 2025.

It still wouldn't shock me if he called it early December 2023 for an January 2024 election - base it purely on the flights - go for an 'who runs the country' narrative.

Whether it’s a rule or a convention I don’t know, but they have to give 6 weeks notice usually so councils can get ready, send out polling cards etc, and January is never a good time to hold an election for a ruling party as everyone is skint after Christmas and its obviously not good politics to ask people to vote then.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2023, 11:09:30 pm »
:D

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2023, 03:05:42 pm »

It will either be May to coincide with the local elections or October before the clocks go back. Sunak is a coward so October is most likely.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2023, 04:19:58 pm »
If it becomes more and more inevitable that Labour will win the election then it'd be interesting to see just how far the Tory vote will drop. The panic over Corbyn or Brexit getting mothballed was enough for the Tory base to come out in 2019, why would anyone vote for them at the next election, particularly if it's inevitable they'll lose? They've lost the centre/centre right (trying to win it back with gimmicks like bringing Dave back) and fucking Braverman off and failing at everything will only see them lose the headbangers on the right. The red wall is pretty much lost (their vote was mostly for Brexit in 2019), so who are they actually appealing to now? If it's just the top few percent of earners then by definition that's a small base. The middle classes have also been hit hard by the COL crisis.

Reform are polling well but usually it gets to an election and the right pretty much all mobilise behind the Tory Party (in a way the left/liberal/centre don't do behind Labour).  I think the vast majority of their seats are up for grabs, particularly if tactical voting comes into play. Dorries lost her seat despite Labour and Lib Dems not backing down but in a general election you can't afford them to split the anti-Tory vote like that.

As catastrophic as 2019 was for Labour they still got 40% of the vote and 202 seats. The Tories could conceivably get nearer half that and from the position of a big majority now (Labour were already in opppsition).
« Last Edit: November 19, 2023, 04:30:15 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline PatriotScouser

• Legacy Fan
  • I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2023, 04:25:10 pm »
The Labour NEC and politicians are expecting a May/June GE (this was before last Thursday) from the conversations I had with people.

For 4 main reasons.

1) Tories expect to win the court case regarding the boats and because of that but much more mainly the weather, there will be a decrease of boats crossing the channel. The tories will say it will be because of them, but in reality once summer comes and it gets warmer it will increase again. Therefore some tories believe there is a certain window of opportunity in the spring/early summer in which it would be advantageous to hold a GE

2) March budget. Tories will attempt to trap Labour by cutting income tax in the budget in March. So tories are hoping Labour will have to announce with these tax cuts how they will spend money. Will they have to raise taxes? So the tories will be looking to trap Keir and Labour.

3) Divisions within the tory party. Sunak can hardly control the different wings of the party and as such will use a GE or a threat of a GE in May/June to keep those MPs in check.

4) Tories want to avoid a GE at the same time as the US election

This is first and second hand information I received from a couple of MPs and a couple of people on the NEC and also from my MP report back to us. They are gearing up for a May/June election.

But last Thursday's results may have spooked Sunak and his team though. So it could well be another year yet, sadly.

(I had put this in the tory thread by mistake!)

I still feel June is very possible but one has to question if Cameron would come back only for a few months? More likely he'd want at least one year to try and help Sunak turn it around for them.

Halloween is on Thursday next year......Just saying  ;D

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2023, 05:28:20 pm »
I still feel June is very possible but one has to question if Cameron would come back only for a few months? More likely he'd want at least one year to try and help Sunak turn it around for them.

Halloween is on Thursday next year......Just saying  ;D

Based on that, no wonder the Tories are freaking out over the Rwanda ruling and talking of just bypassing the Supreme Court.

As for Cameron, who knows what bs Sunak told him? The Tories are as bad as the Sith when it comes to stabbing each other in the back.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2023, 05:56:37 pm »
I still feel June is very possible but one has to question if Cameron would come back only for a few months?
Money, status, recognition, ego are just a few reasons why he'd perhaps come back even for just a matter of months?

Online Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2023, 11:04:07 pm »

As catastrophic as 2019 was for Labour they still got 40% of the vote and 202 seats. The Tories could conceivably get nearer half that and from the position of a big majority now (Labour were already in opppsition).
not sure where you got the figures from but Labour got 32% in 2019 not 40%. 40% was 2017 when it was a hung parliament
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2023, 10:08:07 pm »
If it becomes more and more inevitable that Labour will win the election then it'd be interesting to see just how far the Tory vote will drop. The panic over Corbyn or Brexit getting mothballed was enough for the Tory base to come out in 2019, why would anyone vote for them at the next election, particularly if it's inevitable they'll lose? They've lost the centre/centre right (trying to win it back with gimmicks like bringing Dave back) and fucking Braverman off and failing at everything will only see them lose the headbangers on the right. The red wall is pretty much lost (their vote was mostly for Brexit in 2019), so who are they actually appealing to now? If it's just the top few percent of earners then by definition that's a small base. The middle classes have also been hit hard by the COL crisis.

Reform are polling well but usually it gets to an election and the right pretty much all mobilise behind the Tory Party (in a way the left/liberal/centre don't do behind Labour).  I think the vast majority of their seats are up for grabs, particularly if tactical voting comes into play. Dorries lost her seat despite Labour and Lib Dems not backing down but in a general election you can't afford them to split the anti-Tory vote like that.

I suspect a lot of people vote the way they always did, and just cherry pick policies to back that decision.  A reasonable number vote for change which is why we keep seeing governments change. God that's depressing, hopefully not true.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2023, 09:22:01 am »
Money, status, recognition, ego are just a few reasons why he'd perhaps come back even for just a matter of months?

Yep. Let's not forget, the last time the majority of the British public saw him was when he resigned the day after the referendum which he called unbelievably recklessly....and then lost (most likely in part due to his own policies of nation-destroying austerity). That referendum remains one of the most catastrophic peacetime moves by any British Prime Minister in the history of British democracy.

If he can take some off the sting of that, he'll try. That said, it's looking like it might have the opposite effect, and instead of cleaning his image it might just bring attention to the fact he is also a corrupt a c*nt:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/nov/22/hmrc-david-cameron-greensill-flights
« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 09:23:44 am by Indomitable_Carp »

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2023, 09:59:38 am »
If I were the Tories I would hold it as late as possible. The old will crawl over broken glass to vote and i would think the Tories have more chance of increasing their percentage vote by having it in late Autumn when nobody wants to leave the house.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2023, 12:58:48 pm »
How many old Tories will die between now and the election I wonder?

Popcorn's Art

Offline Elliemental

• Kopite
  • You Love Us
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2023, 01:51:30 pm »

According to Tory policy, it seems, as many as possible. I find it weird how they were hellbent on bumping off their own voters (especially during the pandemic).

Offline PatriotScouser

• Legacy Fan
  • I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2023, 01:56:14 pm »
Bringing in the NI cuts in January and not April is rather unusual, as the financial year is not the same as the calendar year.

Therefore I would suggest that a GE may indeed happen earlier than we think in May/June than in October/November. Just a thought.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2023, 02:02:59 pm »

Wasn't there a study that showed the normal progression toward the right on the political spectrum when one gets older, was becoming less and less a thing?

Remember that many pensioners now were alive during and/or the years following WW2, when there was still the British Empire. Certainly before the social liberalisation that kicked in from the 1960's.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2023, 02:16:23 pm »
Bringing in the NI cuts in January and not April is rather unusual, as the financial year is not the same as the calendar year.

Therefore I would suggest that a GE may indeed happen earlier than we think in May/June than in October/November. Just a thought.

Yep. Couple of months with an extra £30-50 in peoples bank accounts, before the energy prices go up again...

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2023, 03:56:41 pm »

It does feel like the chances of a Spring election have gone up a bit after today.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2023, 04:47:37 pm »

Wasn't there a study that showed the normal progression toward the right on the political spectrum when one gets older, was becoming less and less a thing?

Remember that many pensioners now were alive during and/or the years following WW2, when there was still the British Empire. Certainly before the social liberalisation that kicked in from the 1960's.

There’s an argument it’s not just getting old that makes people turn to the right as they get older, it’s getting old and owning a home, and that becomes harder to do that’s why the age at which people become Tories is increasing consistently.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2023, 04:52:28 pm »
There’s an argument it’s not just getting old that makes people turn to the right as they get older, it’s getting old and owning a home, and that becomes harder to do that’s why the age at which people become Tories is increasing consistently.

Yes, it's related to assest accumulation.  That's why the trend is stopping now.  People are not accumulating the same wealth, as they once did.  You're either on that train already, or not. 

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
#Sausages

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2023, 05:17:10 pm »
That site is only available to subscribers.
Here you go:

https://archive.is/HsZCg
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
#Sausages

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2023, 05:26:36 pm »
That site is only available to subscribers.

That’s odd? I’m not a subscriber and I was able to access it
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2023, 05:35:40 pm »
That’s odd? I’m not a subscriber and I was able to access it
Maybe it is because they offer so many free page views.* Do your cookies expire at the end of each session? If so - and if The Times do offer so many free page views - this might explain it.

* Hmm. I just tried an Incognito window - it did not work. So, the explanation is more complicated that I supposed. I always need to use the Archive to access article at The Times.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2023, 11:56:32 am »
Tories apparently told to prepare for a May election from January

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1727597042027913267?

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2023, 01:17:51 pm »
Tories apparently told to prepare for a May election from January

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1727597042027913267?

She's not going to be elected as leader of the Tory party again.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2023, 03:03:28 pm »
so if they polls improve they'll go for a snap election? Doesn't really take a genius to work that out.

A lot hinges on what constitutes "improvement" though. Are they just trying to lose not as badly? Say they've closed the gap by five points by, perhaps, March? Do they stick or twist?

Popcorn's Art

Online Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2023, 08:51:04 pm »
so if they polls improve they'll go for a snap election? Doesn't really take a genius to work that out.

A lot hinges on what constitutes "improvement" though. Are they just trying to lose not as badly? Say they've closed the gap by five points by, perhaps, March? Do they stick or twist?
If they get down to consistently being under 10 points, I think they'll go with a May/June election. Anything approaching where they are now, they'll cling on. Think in that example they'll go for one in October/November. The downside to that will be it's the same time as the US Elections

The worse the weather is, the lower the turnout will likely be too, not sure that's necessarily a positive for the Tories either
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Lynx the saucy mynx

• Kopite
« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2023, 01:26:01 pm »
If they get down to consistently being under 10 points, I think they'll go with a May/June election. Anything approaching where they are now, they'll cling on. Think in that example they'll go for one in October/November. The downside to that will be it's the same time as the US Elections

The worse the weather is, the lower the turnout will likely be too, not sure that's necessarily a positive for the Tories either

Forgive my ignorance, what’s the downside of having a UK and US election at the same time?

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2023, 09:07:09 am »
Had a lovely dream last night, that the Tories finished the election with 57 seats on around 17% of the vote. Lib Dems had over 100 seats and Labour over 400.

Here's hoping! ;D

Popcorn's Art

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2023, 09:56:06 am »
Had a lovely dream last night, that the Tories finished the election with 57 seats on around 17% of the vote. Lib Dems had over 100 seats and Labour over 400.

Here's hoping! ;D
LibDems the official opposition and the tory leader's question at PMQ's being roundly ignored as everyone floods out of the chamber. :lmao :lmao :lmao
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2023, 11:22:20 pm »

Here's hoping! ;D

If a few of the more liberal minded potential tory voters actually committed to their beliefs rather than their upbringing then this might not be so far fetched.  Oh, and I had a lovely dream about Esther McVey, felt really good and really bad at the same time.  Sleeping with the enemy.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 11:27:51 pm by andy07 »
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2023, 03:10:30 pm »
Forgive my ignorance, what’s the downside of having a UK and US election at the same time?

Probably nothing more than the there aren't enough political commentators to go around.
I did see someone say the security services didn't like it. Though I have no idea why not.
My guess would be the market turmoil. One election either side of the pond will bring some, waves, two elections going against what the "markets" want could get ugly.
(I have no idea what the markets would want, I assume a Tory and Repub win)

--edit-- and possibly the Russians and Chinese can't interfere in both at once....

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2023, 09:52:31 am »
Probably nothing more than the there aren't enough political commentators to go around.
I did see someone say the security services didn't like it. Though I have no idea why not.
My guess would be the market turmoil. One election either side of the pond will bring some, waves, two elections going against what the "markets" want could get ugly.

--edit-- and possibly the Russians and Chinese can't interfere in both at once....

I think the main reason is that the Tories wouldn't want to be seen as equivilents to Trump's Republican party because it will spook what's left of their moderate voters.  Trump is still massively unpopular in the UK and the last thing they'll want is to be seen as the British version of him (even though that's what they are).  Starmer wouldn't suffer by comparisons to Biden in the same way.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2023, 10:16:31 am »
You have to be genuinely stupid to believe what these Tory fuckwits say.

According to them, we've never had it so good.

But Brexit and people voting Tory shows just how thick the UK population is.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2023, 10:22:22 am »

I suspect a Labour victory at the next election is already factored into market expectations, and with a moderate Labour Party and chancellor I can’t see it causing any ripples, if anything I think markets might welcome a Labour government just purely to have some grownups in charge of the country and a PM and Chancellor who should be in place for more then a year at a time, don’t underestimate the importance of competence and stability.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2023, 11:33:59 am »
Aye. It's really important to remember that all Labour really has to do in government is be competent.

I realise the bar has been set incredibly low, but I' happy to have modest expectations at this point. A lot of damage has been done to the country, and it's not going to be easy to fix.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2023, 01:16:24 pm »
The next election is set to be the most unequal in 60 years thanks to a rising gap in voter turnout based on age, income, class, home ownership and ethnicity, a new study has found.

The Institute for Public Policy Research (IPPR), a centre-left thinktank, found that the turnout gap was negligible between social groups in the 1960s, but that it had grown by 2010 to 18 percentage points between the top set of earners – who are more likely to vote – and the bottom set.

It rises to a 23-point gap between homeowners – who were more likely to vote – and renters, and a 15-point gap between graduates and those who did not go to university. There are 28 points between those aged 61 and over who were more likely to vote than 18-24-year-olds.

The IPPR found that nine in every 10 people in the top third of the income distribution voted in the two most recent general elections, compared with only seven in 10 from the bottom third.

The bottom third of earners were about three times more likely to say it is not worth voting than the top third, while renters are also more than twice as likely as homeowners to say the same.

The study also analysed those who have been in contact with politicians, finding that one in three university graduates has directly contacted a politician, compared with one in seven people without degrees.

The study did not look at whether the Conservatives or Labour benefit most from the gap in turnout, although older voters are more likely to opt for the Tories than Labour.

Dr Parth Patel, a senior research fellow at the IPPR, said one of the consequences was that government policy was more attuned to the needs of the older, better-off and those with higher levels of education.

“There are real differences in who gets their way in our democracy. Policy is more responsive to preferences of the well-heeled than of the worse off, and people know this – but it seems to be a blind spot for most politicians,” he said.

“No matter who’s in power, our democratic machine needs rewiring. If people are once again to be authors of their own lives, and to feel secure, they must sense their influence in the collective decision-making endeavour that is democracy.”

Full article:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/dec/11/next-uk-election-set-to-be-most-unequal-in-60-years-study-finds

Popcorn's Art