Author Topic: The Brink - use it or lose it?  (Read 3780 times)

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
The Brink - use it or lose it?
« on: March 2, 2016, 04:00:11 pm »
As many Liverpool based RAWKites may be aware, The Brink on Parr Street is a "Dry Bar", ie, an alcohol free venue intended to support those recovering from addiction (alcohol, drugs etc). 

In addition to the support they offer these people - getting clean and staying clean, talking groups and the like - The Brink also offers a wide range of community groups: art, guitar lessons, drum lessons and so forth.  They also have various evenings of entertainment; tomorrow is poetry evening for example and Sundays are usually movie night.  They also screen the footie for when you prefer a cuppa to a pint.  Perhaps of great significance, they also offer welfare advice and support in a manner similar to The Casa.

I myself class myself as a depressive in recovery - emotions, especially negative emotions - are highly addictive, but the Brink is a wonderfully positive atmosphere to be in, with good people rebuilding their lives after years of neglect and despair.

But the Brink needs your help.

The Brink is tied to a charity, which essentially forbids it from pursuing various forms of advertising and options available to "regular" businesses.  As a result, getting the word out on a lot of what it offers is very difficult for them.  A number of their groups are poorly attended.

As a result of these restrictions, The Brink is losing money.  Paid staff have left and have not been replaced.  Others are full time volunteers; working up to 36 hours a week with no pay (other than jobseekers).

If Liverpool is to retain the Brink and its services in the long run, we need more people to use it.  And I must stress that the Brink isn't JUST for recovering alcoholics and junkies.  They serve great drinks and great food, and as I said the vibe in the place is often a cut above many other bars and cafés. 

It is a shame that, in this age of Capitalism, the good work an institution does takes a back seat to profit, but the Brink cannot run a loss forever.  To that end I ask any of you who are in the immediate area to pop in sometime and have yourself a coffee or a pot of tea, and maybe some toast.  Check out the fliers and see what's on.  Tell your mates about the place.  Get the word out on the street.  Above all though, just experience it for yourself and do your part.

I have faith in you RAWK. :)

Cheers.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Brink - use it or lose it?
« Reply #1 on: March 2, 2016, 04:52:47 pm »
Will see if there's a facebook page and share it with a few points you've made , what is the charity that forbids it raising money from advertising and the way regular businesses do .

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: March 2, 2016, 05:38:10 pm »
I photographed the Brink, as part of my pub/bar project, back in 2013(I think it was - might of been 2012), just a few weeks after it had opened.

Always found it good for a cuppa, or a quick snack, and although I'm a drinker with no addiction issues, always found the place quite pleasant, on the odd time I've visited.

In some ways, it's a shame it's not in a more visible location, as being tucked away in Parr St. it probably doesn't get that much passing foot traffic unless you know it's there.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 2, 2016, 09:07:22 pm »
Brink website: http://thebrinkliverpool.com/

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/brink.liverpool/?fref=ts

Brink Art: https://www.facebook.com/artbrink.liverpool?fref=ts

It is slightly out of the way, but being just off Slater Street not prohibitively I think.  I am not entirely sure of the restrictions around its charity connections - most of what I have reported is second hand and that largely because I am a regular patron.  All I can guess at is if it is a blindly obvious form of profile-raising they would have thought of it already.  :-\

Popcorn's Art

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #4 on: March 3, 2016, 12:39:24 pm »
Wasn't aware of the guitar lessons - recently started up again myself so I'll aim to call in soon for a bite and to find out more.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 3, 2016, 01:58:14 pm »
Wasn't aware of the guitar lessons - recently started up again myself so I'll aim to call in soon for a bite and to find out more.

I think they have both beginner and intermediate, but I'm not sure on which days.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Momos_righteye

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 4, 2016, 03:12:27 pm »
Was in for a bowl of scouse on Monday, delish. Best I've had in the city

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 4, 2016, 07:25:48 pm »
Was in for a bowl of scouse on Monday, delish. Best I've had in the city

Damn.  I passed on that because I think their soup bowls are too small.  ;) ;D

Popcorn's Art

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 01:17:44 pm »
I think they show the footy in there so I've considered going in as an alternative on match day, but their fruit drinks being nearly the price of a pint has usually steered us elsewhere.

I'll try to get in over the next week or two.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 06:44:18 pm »
I think they show the footy in there so I've considered going in as an alternative on match day, but their fruit drinks being nearly the price of a pint has usually steered us elsewhere.

I'll try to get in over the next week or two.

They do show the footie mate.  I watched the Villa game in there.  The whole point of the place is to be able to watch the footie WITHOUT having a pint though!  ;D

When I'm in, I usually get tea for two, but just with one cup - 'cause I drink tea like a fish :P.  It's £2.05 and I'm shameless about getting refills. ;)

The Brink's non-alcoholic cocktails are around £3, but many of them are gorgeous.  The "chocolate cooler" is especially nice.  But you can get a glass of juice for just £1.25 and there's also a selection of cordials you can have with hot or cold water.  Heck you can just have a glass of water with a bit of lemon in it if you like - they'll do it, no questions asked and it wont cost you a penny.

I admit I've baulked at the price of a Costa hot chocolate being the same as a pint, (which is why I call them Costa-lot) and yes, if I'm in a pub I will tend to buy a pint over a soft drink, 'cause if I'm going to have that much sugar I may as well get alcohol with it as well.  But with the Brink there's a broader picture to paint.  It's my "local" if you will.  I go there specifically for the vibe and the people.  There's not many city centre pubs you could say that about.

(As an aside, it really irks me when people go to the Brink, sit down and check out the menu but then get uppity and leave when they realise it's a dry bar.  I don't get this obsession that some people simply MUST have alcohol with their food.)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 06:46:02 pm by Red Beret »

Popcorn's Art

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2016, 03:48:43 pm »
Was in there today with Missus and lad, brilliant place, had...ahem!..a 'high tea'...now I never thought of meself as a 'high tea' type of guy , but it was brilliant , home made decent, 'finger sandwiches' and 'fancies'...but the vibe is great, made up of , dare I say, 'ordinary' folk , not a hipster beard in sight!

My new favourite place in town...only down side is I was out voted on my pronounciation of scone ( as in done) to my family and staff scone ( bone)...clearly they are wrong , but don't let that put you off the place!!

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 03:28:23 pm »
Glad you enjoyed it mate!  I keep meaning to have a cream tea there but never get round to it!

If you're ever in there and see a bloke with his head buried in a doodle pad, that's me!  ;D

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2020, 09:42:19 pm »
Sorry to bump such an old topic, but sad to report that The Brink has closed to the public.

They had been struggling for awhile, but since the Covid-19 enforced closure they simply do not have the money to reopen. 

It's a crying shame for the city.  Last year me and my best mate were doing free Thai Boxercise classes for about six months, and it was great. 

Action on Addiction is maintaining the venue to continue support services for people and their families suffering with addiction.

Statement from the AoA website:

https://www.actiononaddiction.org.uk/news/latest-news/the-brink-cafe

For what it's worth, here is a petition you can sign.  No idea if it can help.

change.org

Popcorn's Art

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #13 on: July 1, 2020, 02:02:33 pm »
my pronounciation of scone ( as in done)
Our scone is pronounced like gone.

Luv Scotch pancakes wif butter and jam.
Kill the humourless

Offline L4Red

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14 on: July 1, 2020, 07:04:09 pm »

Nobody is arsed how you pronounce scone when a much needed service and community hub in this city is being lost.

@redberry signed, saw something online maybe the echo the other day about this and it's a real shame.

If the council wasn't cut to ribbons maybe they could do something about it

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #15 on: July 1, 2020, 07:17:48 pm »

Fucking hell ::)

Red Berry - signed.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: July 1, 2020, 10:31:21 pm »
Nobody is arsed how you pronounce scone when a much needed service and community hub in this city is being lost.

@redberry signed, saw something online maybe the echo the other day about this and it's a real shame.

If the council wasn't cut to ribbons maybe they could do something about it

Fucking hell ::)

Red Berry - signed.

Thank you both.

Popcorn's Art

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: July 2, 2020, 10:36:11 am »
Signed mate.