Author Topic: Testimonials – anyone worthy? - Still an Anfield tradition?  (Read 6460 times)

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
Re: Testimonials – anyone worthy? - Still an Anfield tradition?
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2017, 12:05:47 pm »
Keep testimonials and all proceeds to charity - it's a recognition of a players service and commitment to the club. Lucas should get one no doubt - just for his celebration with the fans away at Villa a few years back.......priceless ! 

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2017, 05:46:40 pm »
Lucas without question is deserving of one. Unfortunately we aren't that club any longer where players legendary status is defined solely by trophies.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2017, 05:49:11 pm »
Lucas without question is deserving of one. Unfortunately we aren't that club any longer where players legendary status is defined solely by trophies.

We will be under Klopp.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2017, 05:52:47 pm »
I'm pretty sure Nicky Tanner actually got one

Yes, he did. Roy Evans took a pretty strong team down to Veovil (August 1995) for Tanner's testimonial match.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2017, 07:37:40 pm »
Yes, he did. Roy Evans took a pretty strong team down to Veovil (August 1995) for Tanner's testimonial match.
how are you mate
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2017, 08:32:29 pm »
Absolutely Lucas should get a testimonial.

It's not about giving them a bonus retirement package. It's about celebrating the player's service to the club, and through that service, celebrating the club itself.

The club's relationships make it what it is. That means the club's relationship with the supporters of course, but also the players, managers, boards and other clubs. Each relationship tells a story of what the club is about. Lucas has been an incredible servant through a period of tremendous uncertainty turmoil for the club, and survived to see the team - his team, in almost as good a way as it was when he joined it.

For me, the testimonial is a good thing to do, because it gets me reflecting about my own relationship with the club, and what it means to be a Liverpool supporter. Surely that's something the club can benefit from?

Good post mate.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2017, 01:30:22 pm »
Not been to a testimonial in years but I'll be at Lucas's should he get one, and there should be no argument over whether he does get one. Brilliant servant to this club.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline ollick

• Huge Dick..and a Big Knob too!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arghhhh
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2017, 01:47:40 pm »
If Lucas gets one then I would love it to be against Newcastle, managed by the manager that brought him to the club 10 years ago.
Why do people quote other people for the sigs?  What' the point?

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2017, 05:40:15 pm »
If Lucas gets one then I would love it to be against Newcastle, managed by the manager that brought him to the club 10 years ago.

Good idea!

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2017, 09:55:45 pm »

I'd prefer a team made up of ex Liverpool players Lucas played with, but managed by Rafa.

I agree that a testimonial still has a place as the money goes to charity. The earlier post about putting the money into the local community is the best idea for the use of the money.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2017, 11:04:03 pm »
Absolutely Lucas should get a testimonial.

It's not about giving them a bonus retirement package. It's about celebrating the player's service to the club, and through that service, celebrating the club itself.

The club's relationships make it what it is. That means the club's relationship with the supporters of course, but also the players, managers, boards and other clubs. Each relationship tells a story of what the club is about. Lucas has been an incredible servant through a period of tremendous uncertainty turmoil for the club, and survived to see the team - his team, in almost as good a way as it was when he joined it.

For me, the testimonial is a good thing to do, because it gets me reflecting about my own relationship with the club, and what it means to be a Liverpool supporter. Surely that's something the club can benefit from?

Well said. Totally agree with Lucas getting one as well.

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
  • 5 Times Baby! Make that 6 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2017, 12:19:57 am »
Absolutely, Lucas.
With him I get a real sense of how Liverpool Football Club shaped him and his whole life and he, in turn, does now
and always will embody the Club too.
That deserves a chance for everyone connected with the Club the chance to just say "Thank You"!
Plus he'll always be around, he loves us  ;D

Offline dogeibbor

• Anny Roader
  • He wants to come
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2017, 06:38:04 am »
Absolutely, Lucas.
With him I get a real sense of how Liverpool Football Club shaped him and his whole life and he, in turn, does now
and always will embody the Club too.
That deserves a chance for everyone connected with the Club the chance to just say "Thank You"!
Plus he'll always be around, he loves us  ;D

Definitely. And isn't it common courtesy to give the money to charity these days? He sure doesn't need the extra cash...

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2017, 08:38:56 am »
Definitely. And isn't it common courtesy to give the money to charity these days? He sure doesn't need the extra cash...
yep

it used to be a pay day for players when they werent paid as well plus for loyalty given that by staying at a club for a decade they had probably missed out on signing on fees.

now its
1. chance to show appreciation to a loyal player
2. raise money for charity

nothing wrong with that.
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR