Author Topic: Naby Keita Watch  (Read 1889333 times)

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Naby Keita Watch
« Reply #4880 on: January 30, 2019, 10:17:38 pm »
How on earth that was not a pen? Has football rule changed?

Atkinson had a narrative and wasn't going to budge, I've never seen a ref waste time before. Ridiculous
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #4881 on: January 30, 2019, 10:20:36 pm »
Are you sure? Because he had 0 key passes. 0 Throughballs. 2 successful dribbles out of 4 attempted. 0 shots. 0 successful tackles out of 3 attempted.

I'm not sure what he did other than that dribble (that he took a needless extra touch for and definitely should have had a penalty for!) that warranted him being kept on.

Well given we had zero chances in the second half who did have a key pass???! Thought he looked far more likely to produce one than shaqiri or Wijnaldam as I said
When you say ‘other than the dribble’ - it should have won us the game
Personally I didn’t get taking him off when we needed a goal but there you go - each his own 

Offline Schmohawk

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4882 on: January 30, 2019, 10:27:12 pm »
Definitely agree that we should have kept Keita on (Firmino as well btw) but that's easy to say now. Shaqiri, unfortunately, was a total passenger. Even though Henderson was one of our best players, we missed him in midfield tonight. A midfield of Gini, Keita and Shaqiri is too light weight.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #4883 on: January 30, 2019, 10:27:27 pm »
Well given we had zero chances in the second half who did have a key pass???! Thought he looked far more likely to produce one than shaqiri or Wijnaldam as I said
When you say ‘other than the dribble’ - it should have won us the game
Personally I didn’t get taking him off when we needed a goal but there you go - each his own

We had 6 shots, 5 of which were unblocked, 1 of which was on target. So we had chances. Although they all came after Keita went off.
Better looking than Samie.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4884 on: January 30, 2019, 10:29:15 pm »
Thought he had a decent game

Instead of just giving away possession and leaving us open to the counter he found people in space and was constantly finding space himself for the return pass. The decision for the penalty is baffling to be honest but the worst thing is that it's not suprising.

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4885 on: January 30, 2019, 10:29:46 pm »
Looked to me like he went up a gear in the minutes he realised he was about to be hooked.

Just want him to get back to basics. Looked a serious fucking player in his first couple of appearances

Offline SE20

• Kemlynite
« Reply #4886 on: January 30, 2019, 10:31:13 pm »
Dunno what he needs to do to come good. Is it the system and his role in it he's not getting? Is it the physicality and speed compared to the BuLi? Is it mental? There's clearly a top player in there somewhere.

And yes he should have had a pen, but honestly he should have gotten a shot away before Pereira made the challenge.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #4887 on: January 30, 2019, 10:32:51 pm »
I'm not going to lie, I expected a bit more out of him than the occasional dribble going forward and just being 'decent' for the vast amount of hype and money. We're coming into February now.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4888 on: January 30, 2019, 10:35:48 pm »
We had 6 shots, 5 of which were unblocked, 1 of which was on target. So we had chances. Although they all came after Keita went off.

Not sure any of them were chances were they?
Keita created the best and basically only clear chance of the second half which he was deprived of taking

It was a bad attacking performance all round - as I said I saw Keita as one of the most likely we had to make something happen (partly because he's the only one who did) - you didn't ... fair enough

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #4889 on: January 30, 2019, 10:37:44 pm »
Keita created the best and basically only clear chance of the second half which he was deprived of taking

It was a bad attacking performance all round - as I said I saw Keita as one of the most likely we had to make something happen (partly because he's the only one who did) - you didn't ... fair enough

If he had a left foot he could still have got a shot away before Pereira fouls him.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4890 on: January 30, 2019, 10:44:58 pm »

If they were shots, they were chances, though. 3 of them were in the box. 1 required a save. It was a bad attacking performance for sure, but I'm not seeing where Keita was a difference-maker that should have stayed on the field. He really wasn't doing anything to add to our attack this game. He was tidy, didn't give the ball away, but so was Gini. We effectively played with two #6s today when we probably didn't need to.

Offline AnnieRoad93

• Main Stander
« Reply #4891 on: January 30, 2019, 10:46:27 pm »
Really hope he comes good, but I’m not going to lie to myself and say he had a good game. He was poor again, hence why he was hooked. He looks a bit lost at times, but the one time he did drive forward he should of had a pen which I guess is a step in the right direction
Underneath the floodlights down in Düsseldorf...

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #4892 on: January 30, 2019, 10:47:56 pm »
Totally mystified me.
The only midfielder (including shaqiri) who looked capable of finding the front 3

I think it'll be lost in all the bluster and hullabaloo of dropped points, but he's quietly shown tonight he has the balls to play for us. I love Wijnaldum but if it's two in midfield next season against the shite it's him and Fabinho for me. Wijnaldum comes in for the 3 man midfield against the big boys but there's levels to this stuff and Fabinho and Keita have both shown they're at a higher level to all our other (strong) options.

Love that he wasn't happy with being taken off, a few months ago he would've looked meekly to the bench but now he knows he belongs.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4893 on: January 30, 2019, 10:48:32 pm »
If they were shots, they were chances, though. 3 of them were in the box. 1 required a save. It was a bad attacking performance for sure, but I'm not seeing where Keita was a difference-maker that should have stayed on the field. He really wasn't doing anything to add to our attack this game. He was tidy, didn't give the ball away, but so was Gini. We effectively played with two #6s today when we probably didn't need to.

We had 0.5Xg in the entire game including our goal so no there weren't chances in the 2nd half .... apart from the Keita clear pen of course...
Don't think anyone was the difference maker tonight I agree; but he came the closest.
Anyway it was a horrible attacking performance and Shaqiri starting games has become an issue but that's for another thread

Online Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4894 on: January 30, 2019, 10:48:38 pm »

I would agree with you, but in the last 10-15 mins before he went off he really stepped it up, don’t you think. He was finally starting to make some decisive runs and penetrating passes. After all, his driving run 5 mins before being taken off should have been rewarded with a pen. Replacing him with Lallana was not the right call, but hindsight is of course 20/20
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline johnj147

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4895 on: January 30, 2019, 10:49:32 pm »
average .. for all the hype about him .. been disappointed to be honest

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4896 on: January 30, 2019, 10:49:58 pm »
I think it'll be lost in all the bluster and hullabaloo of dropped points, but he's quietly shown tonight he has the balls to play for us. I love Wijnaldum but if it's two in midfield next season against the shite it's him and Fabinho for me. Wijnaldum comes in for the 3 man midfield against the big boys but there's levels to this stuff and Fabinho and Keita have both shown they're at a higher level to all our other (strong) options.

Love that he wasn't happy with being taken off, a few months ago he would've looked meekly to the bench but now he knows he belongs.

This is some take after one good moment in 65 minutes.

I think we all know by now that Wijnaldum is a fine deputy, but not the sheriff. That was no sheriff's performance from Keita though. Fabinho looked like a sheriff when he came on to me. That's the central midfielder I'd be building around.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 10:52:16 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4897 on: January 30, 2019, 10:50:16 pm »
I'm not going to lie, I expected a bit more out of him than the occasional dribble going forward and just being 'decent' for the vast amount of hype and money. We're coming into February now.

Unfortunately not everyone settles in the first season. Still plenty of games left to play but if he isn't at the level previously expected by the end of the season it isn't the end of the world

Offline Big Dirk

• But with Little Harnds. One of these is incorrerct.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Belfast Red
« Reply #4898 on: January 30, 2019, 10:51:45 pm »
Bang average again tonight....he came with the reputation of being a midfield enforcer yet keeps pulling out of tackles...Lallana gets slaughtered for similar.
Born a Red-Live a Red-Die a Red

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4899 on: January 30, 2019, 10:52:33 pm »
I thought he was ok tonight actually all things considered, Shaq & Salah were far more quiet.

Offline MPowerYNWA

• Kopite
« Reply #4900 on: January 30, 2019, 10:52:34 pm »
Kieta looks lost at times and can be a liability with giving away silly free kicks and losing the ball in dangerous areas - I hope he improves but doesn’t look good as a fit with us so far.

I’m not sure what his standout skill is - he doesn’t seem to be a brilliant tackler, doesn’t have a brilliant pass, doesn’t seem to have a better engine than any of our other midfielders, doesn’t seem to have a brilliant footballing brain to spot passes / make intelligent runs - seems ok when he dribbles.

All players take time to settle and hope he will too - but not sure what his key standout is...

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #4901 on: January 30, 2019, 10:52:56 pm »
Bang average again tonight....he came with the reputation of being a midfield enforcer yet keeps pulling out of tackles...Lallana gets slaughtered for similar.

He came with a big reputation but I’m not sure I’ve ever once seen him described as an enforcer?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4902 on: January 30, 2019, 10:53:54 pm »
This is some take after one good moment in 65 minutes.

It's not just one good moment though, he's always finding little pockets of space and always willing to turn on the ball and look forward. It was tough out there for us tonight, Leicester didn't offer an inch but if anyone was going to find it in a central position it was him. He was open countless times where his teammates didn't give him the ball because they're not used to a midfielder taking it on the half turn in a small space.

I did say he showed the balls quietly, it wasn't an unreal performance but I think it showed he's bubbling nicely.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4903 on: January 30, 2019, 10:54:08 pm »

I was a massive Keita fan before he signed and still think he can be a top player at some point but I don't think you can say he's shown he's at a higher level to any of our midfielders.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4904 on: January 30, 2019, 10:55:27 pm »
He came with a big reputation but I’m not sure I’ve ever once seen him described as an enforcer?

He generally made 2-3 tackles per game for Leipzig, he's not even averaging one per game for us and as others point out, more damningly regularly pulls out of them or just leaves a lazy leg in to foul players.

Offline Andy-oh-six

• Legacy Fan
  • Mr Susan in 'the world of mirrors'...
« Reply #4905 on: January 30, 2019, 10:55:30 pm »
How on earth that was not a pen? Has football rule changed?

It’s called the ‘Don’t give Liverpool another penalty because Salah went down a bit too easily’ rule!

It was a clear penalty all day long. Terrible decision.
Internet terrorist

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4906 on: January 30, 2019, 10:55:40 pm »

If they were shots they were chances?  Really?  Sturridges shot was a chance?  In the Andros Townsend book of football maybe.  That’s ridiculous.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4907 on: January 30, 2019, 10:55:42 pm »
Unfortunately not everyone settles in the first season. Still plenty of games left to play but if he isn't at the level previously expected by the end of the season it isn't the end of the world

This is the thing - it's a quicker, more transitional and more physical league than he's ever played in. It'll take him time to adjust.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #4908 on: January 30, 2019, 10:55:54 pm »
I was a bit surprised he was taken off. Perhaps he was tiring. He looks so supremely balanced on the ball and after an ordinary first half was starting to make things happen in the second. We saw some of those characteristic Leipzig moves he excelled in over there, where he follows his own short forward passes into the box, confident that he can take the sharp returns in crowded areas. The penalty shout followed one off these. It was fairly clear cut and the ref made a schoolboy error. He is, maybe, one of those refs who has never played footy and doesn't quite understand what happens when a standing foot is taken from beneath a player about to shoot.

Any road the bottom line is that Keita is coming good at the right time. There is a big part for him to play between February and May. I'm sincerely sorry for those fans among us who just don't see it. It must cut their enjoyment a fair bit.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #4909 on: January 30, 2019, 10:55:58 pm »
Glad to see him drive at the defense 2nd half. If only he had started the match that way.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4910 on: January 30, 2019, 10:56:18 pm »
If they were shots they were chances?  Really?  Sturridges shot was a chance?  In the Andros Townsend book of football maybe.  That’s ridiculous.

Is it? You'd know, right?

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4911 on: January 30, 2019, 11:00:19 pm »
Spot on.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4912 on: January 30, 2019, 11:00:29 pm »
I was a bit surprised he was taken off. Perhaps he was tiring. He looks so supremely balanced on the ball and after an ordinary first half was starting to make things happen in the second. We saw some of those characteristic Leipzig moves he excelled in over there, where he follows his own short forward passes into the box, confident that he can take the sharp returns in crowded areas. The penalty shout followed one off these. It was fairly clear cut and the ref made a schoolboy error. He is, maybe, one of those refs who has never played footy and doesn't quite understand what happens when a standing foot is taken from beneath a player about to shoot.

Any road the bottom line is that Keita is coming good at the right time. There is a big part for him to play between February and May. I'm sincerely sorry for those fans among us who just don't see it. It must cut their enjoyment a fair bit.

That move into the box, which led to ‘that’ foul, was superb. Let’s hope he keeps making those passes and moves.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4913 on: January 30, 2019, 11:00:46 pm »
I was a massive Keita fan before he signed and still think he can be a top player at some point but I don't think you can say he's shown he's at a higher level to any of our midfielders.

I think if people watch the game again you'll see he's picking up lovely little pockets of space and his teammates aren't willing to pass the ball to him, they're tight areas but ones he's comfortable getting out of. I only watched him about 20 times at Leipzig so I wasn't even one of his biggest fans at the time we signed but I saw something tonight that has me licking my lips.

Maybe I'll be proved wrong but I think he quietly went up a level, especially second half.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 11:03:52 pm by Red85 »

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4914 on: January 30, 2019, 11:00:51 pm »
Is it? You'd know, right?

You know exactly what I’m saying but again let’s act otherwise. 

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4915 on: January 30, 2019, 11:01:14 pm »
You know exactly what I’m saying but again let’s act otherwise.

Right.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4916 on: January 30, 2019, 11:01:27 pm »

Let's not play that game, Yorky. We can all see there's a player in there. We're not stupid. How much of a player is the question. I'm of the view that you and others are seeing things which simply aren't there yet, but at least you are discussing him on his own merits rather than throwing his better performing team-mates under the bus in order to defend him.

You see a supremely balanced footballer, whereas I see one who often falls over when he's shifted onto his left foot. You see a player taking the game to the opposition, whereas I see one who only did so once or twice in 65 minutes and spent the rest of the time passing sideways to his less talented, less creative midfield partner. I also see one who is extremely easy to play around for the opposition and it's no surprise Pereira had such joy in that zone.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #4917 on: January 30, 2019, 11:05:45 pm »
Are you sure? Because he had 0 key passes. 0 Throughballs. 2 successful dribbles out of 4 attempted. 0 shots. 0 successful tackles out of 3 attempted.

I'm not sure what he did other than that dribble (that he took a needless extra touch for and definitely should have had a penalty for!) that warranted him being kept on.

The point is though had the referee done his job and given us the penalty that could have elevated his performance certainly confidence wise. Every new player needs something to ignite them and that could have been his. He looked much better especially earlier on in the game. I would like to see him there more often.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4918 on: January 30, 2019, 11:06:46 pm »
Let's not play that game, Yorky. We can all see there's a player in there. We're not stupid. How much of a player is the question. I'm of the view that you and others are seeing things which simply aren't there yet, but at least you are discussing him on his own merits rather than throwing his better performing team-mates under the bus in order to defend him.

You see a supremely balanced footballer, whereas I see one who often falls over when he's shifted onto his left foot. You see a player taking the game to the opposition, whereas I see one who only did so once or twice in 65 minutes and spent the rest of the time passing sideways to his less talented, less creative midfield partner. I also see one who is extremely easy to play around for the opposition and it's no surprise Pereira had such joy in that zone.

Best foul of the night was when he took him out down the wing, a Lucas foul i'll call it. I think you're referring to me with the main body of the post and as I've said a few times now I don't think he was unbelievable I just saw enough to get excited about.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4919 on: January 30, 2019, 11:08:35 pm »
The point is though had the referee done his job and given us the penalty that could have elevated his performance certainly confidence wise. Every new player needs something to ignite them and that could have been his. He looked much better especially earlier on in the game. I would like to see him there more often.

He didn't have a bad game at all, but I'm questioning the idea that he should have been kept on the field. He didn't really do anything that said "the next goal is coming from him". We were impotent in midfield, and Keita and Shaqiri were a part of that. It was the right decision to take them both off, although I think Origi over Lallana would have been better (or Origi over Sturridge). But there was nothing wrong with taking Keita off.