Author Topic: Television buying  (Read 371355 times)

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
Re: High Definition TVs
« Reply #280 on: August 20, 2006, 09:11:02 pm »
Looking to buy a 42" tv preferably HD.
Was wondering if anyone could tell me whats the best stuff out there at the moment - am willing to spend around £1500 and want a nice looking black tv ??
Cheers

If it's a Pioneer you want,you aint gonna get one for £1500.

have a trawl through the thread,can't be arsed repeating myself.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline Joby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Glad he got the rebound
« Reply #281 on: August 21, 2006, 10:12:34 am »
Looking to buy a 42" tv preferably HD.
Was wondering if anyone could tell me whats the best stuff out there at the moment - am willing to spend around £1500 and want a nice looking black tv ??
Cheers

You could go for the 40" Sony LCD v2000. (Know it isn't 42", but you won't notice much difference...) Pretty much the top-rated LCD on the market at the moment (or at least one of them). I've got one - and it is absolutely stunning, with SD, HD, Freeview, DVD - the works.

Gives very black blacks (which is usually not the case with LCD), and BBC HD on it looks incredible. Stunning.

It's a very dark charcoal/black rather than shiny black, but I think it looks brilliant. They're going for around £1500 from John Lewis or online retailers at the moment. Check out the reviews/comments in the 160 page thread on avforums.com. Or at least the review on the first page.

Oh, and don't worry too much about the "problems with Sony HD systems" post above. Where's the scope for a problem? You plug in the HDMI, adjust the settings (contrast etc), and gasp at the picture quality. Really is first rate.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 10:20:38 am by Joby »
"The secret is that Liverpool are as strong as a pine cone"

Xabi Alonso

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline Joby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Glad he got the rebound
« Reply #284 on: August 24, 2006, 10:36:27 am »
I wouldn't buy either of them because you can get a lot better for less money.

Agreed.
"The secret is that Liverpool are as strong as a pine cone"

Xabi Alonso

Offline NatD

• Takes offence at authors and people who eat in restaurants.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: August 24, 2006, 10:37:31 am »
After a few months, I have finally got the cash, and the deal that I want.

WAs going to get a 32" LCD, but have finally decided on getting the Panny TH42PX60CAB from John Lewis.  Under £1400 including Cabinet and 5 year Guarantee.  Getting the Panny SCHT 855 as well!  Check this Bad Boy out: -

"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline kev78

• Legacy Fan
  • Deep Shit
« Reply #286 on: August 24, 2006, 11:56:28 am »

WAs going to get a 32" LCD, but have finally decided on getting the Panny TH42PX60CAB from John Lewis.  Under £1400 including Cabinet and 5 year Guarantee.  Getting the Panny SCHT 855 as well!  Check this Bad Boy out: -

That's the one I keep looking at, but I've got a few more months of saving to do yet.  :(

Offline bobby19

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA !!
« Reply #287 on: August 24, 2006, 04:15:22 pm »
http://www.digital-point.co.uk/model.php?ID=2674]

Think im gonna get this one what yas think ??
would go nicely with a black glass stand

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: August 24, 2006, 05:42:03 pm »
http://www.digital-point.co.uk/model.php?ID=2674]

Think im gonna get this one what yas think ??
would go nicely with a black glass stand

Save up and get the panny.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: August 24, 2006, 05:43:11 pm »

Good choice.

I bought the sister in law the Panny SCHT 855 and it sounds good but I would look at upgrading the speaker cable as it's the thickness of bell wire.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #290 on: August 24, 2006, 07:12:37 pm »
Think I'll have a look at the Panny offerings next year, assuming Sky reduce their HD fees at some stage

Offline grimreaper

• this is a new one... ok it's shite but it is a no-brainer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: August 25, 2006, 03:43:46 pm »
thinking of gettin a HD  Panasonic PT-AE900E  projector for the xbox 360, dvds and the football

Offline NatD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: August 25, 2006, 03:58:37 pm »
I went to JL Cheadle and got it today!  TH42PX60 with CAB and 5 Year Guarantee for £1377.99!  Free Delivery as well, turns up next Friday!!!!
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: August 25, 2006, 05:23:04 pm »
I went to JL Cheadle and got it today!  TH42PX60 with CAB and 5 Year Guarantee for £1377.99!  Free Delivery as well, turns up next Friday!!!!

Well done Nat.Just put mine up yesterday and WOW.Got yourself a bargain.

Offline wilo in berlin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: August 25, 2006, 06:08:27 pm »
Well done Nat.Just put mine up yesterday and WOW.Got yourself a bargain.

So the photos will be coming soon :) I'm off on me hols for a week but expect a full review with picture evidence by the time I return!

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: August 25, 2006, 11:22:07 pm »
So the photos will be coming soon :) I'm off on me hols for a week but expect a full review with picture evidence by the time I return!

Just need to finish the skirting in the room and jobs a good 'un.Photo's to follow very shortly.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: August 28, 2006, 10:11:31 am »
Still not finished the skirting,that will be done this afternoon.

Picture is awesome,especially in HD and the sound is awesome too.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 06:27:09 pm by keithcun »

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: August 28, 2006, 11:34:13 am »
How's the SD performance compared to CRT Keith?

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: August 28, 2006, 12:02:04 pm »
How's the SD performance compared to CRT Keith?

To be honest I was surprised how good it was Filo,certainly a better picture than my old Sony Trinitron.More vibrant colours,no distortion and even channels like Sky Sports News with the scrolling bulletins etc,there's not a problem to be seen.The Sky HD box is connected via HDMI though,haven't tried Scart on the HD Box,but on the Sky+ the picture was still excellent although it was using an expensive scart cable.

As for HD,it's amazing.Watched Blue Planet last night and I couldn't drag myself away from it.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: August 28, 2006, 12:15:21 pm »
Excellent stuff, looks a great setup you have there, I'll see how the market lies next year anyway ,but the Panny looks the top option at the moment

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #300 on: August 28, 2006, 12:21:03 pm »
Still not finished the skirting,that will be done this afternoon.

Picture is awesome,especially in HD and the sound is awesome too.

Looks fab.  Where the hell are your wires?  Thats the way I want my bedroom tv.
RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: August 28, 2006, 01:45:10 pm »
Looks fab.  Where the hell are your wires?  Thats the way I want my bedroom tv.

Hidden in the walls.  :wave

3 weeks of hard work including my fortnights holiday and living in a building site of a front room.

These 2 pics are from the wall to the right of the chimney breast and where my satelite and TV cable were located.

The cables were then fed under the hole in the chimney breast.

..and to the location of where the gear would be and you can also see where the speaker cables are as well.

Everything was then filled in and skimmed,then 4 coats of paint  and a dimmable downlighter in the chimney hole for when the wife gets round to sorting an ornament for it.

Then sockets fitted for speaker terminals,Sat cable terminal,TV/FM terminal,phone terminal,and a couple of brush outlets for the Video cables to the TV and one for the Sub that's located near where the sat cables come in on the right of the chimney breast.And 2 triple sockets for power supply.

New floor fitted and the final result is the pic in previous post minus the skirting.

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #302 on: August 28, 2006, 01:52:05 pm »
Fab.  I'm gonna have to pay someone to come in to my place.  I wouldn’t even attempt anything like that :)  Looks great.
RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline Demandred

• Do not forsake me oh my darlin
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'll be waiting, with a gun & a pack of sandwiches
« Reply #303 on: August 28, 2006, 01:58:08 pm »
That is absolutely awesome!

I'm moving home soon and was gonna ge a new flatscreen LCD. I did think I'd just settle for wires hanging all over the place but now this is stuck in my head...

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red & White Kop
« Reply #304 on: September 2, 2006, 04:54:55 pm »
Amazing, keithcun!  :o  ;)

My shoddy 'make do' rear projection Samsung 42" is an horrendous bulky monstrosity, which my mother-in-law will be receiving for Christmas!  ;D
The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.

Socrates

Offline NatD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: September 3, 2006, 09:32:34 am »
Finally got the 42PX60 and SCHT855 set up on Friday - about 5 hours all in all from setting up the stand, to getting the cable wires under the house, to sitting down and watching Air Force One (Gash I know but I was excited about the TV).

First impressions - it's awesome!!!  Still lots of fine tuning to do with the picture and the sound (will refer back to set up recommendations on avforums) but I am well pleased.

Got my 28" CRT just to the side of my new Panel, and it sits there just looking all pathetic lol!!!!

Anyone interested in buying a Goodmans CRT and Technics DVD 5.1 System (with all stands) PM me.

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #306 on: September 3, 2006, 08:34:35 pm »
Just read this thread through with interest; the missus has just amazed me by suggesting we get another big telly. 'We may as well have what we want now, we'll be skint when the twins go to University.'

Was furniture shopping yesterday and the sofa shop had a room set up with one of the Panny 42 inchers. Looked fantastic, and even better when viewed from these chairs:

Offline miss_heather

• hit_gorse
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nerd.
    • Twitter
« Reply #307 on: September 3, 2006, 09:19:26 pm »
we have an HD ready tv, but i think Sky HD is a rip off! we arent going to spend £300 on an HD box when the tv cos £2000!
The picture quality on the BBC channels and Sky Sports are amazing already and i dont see how you can get any better!
And i have noticed that sky one HD shows old programmes made when HD didnt exsist!

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: September 3, 2006, 11:44:55 pm »
Just read this thread through with interest; the missus has just amazed me by suggesting we get another big telly. 'We may as well have what we want now, we'll be skint when the twins go to University.'

Was furniture shopping yesterday and the sofa shop had a room set up with one of the Panny 42 inchers. Looked fantastic, and even better when viewed from these chairs:

They look great.Still got about 6 weeks till our new electric reclining settee arrives.Can't wait.

we have an HD ready tv, but i think Sky HD is a rip off! we arent going to spend £300 on an HD box when the tv cos £2000!
The picture quality on the BBC channels and Sky Sports are amazing already and i dont see how you can get any better!
And i have noticed that sky one HD shows old programmes made when HD didnt exsist!

If you think they look good already,be pretty amazed when you see something like Deep Blue in HD.Like looking through a window.The clarity and definition is totally different to SD.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #309 on: September 3, 2006, 11:48:38 pm »
I'm going to have to start researching this thoroughly to get the choice right, I can see. My options are pretty much going to be limited between Panasonic and Pioneer for LCD or plasma, but that doesn't seem to be a problem from what I've read. That AV forum link is invaluable for all sorts- nice one Keith  :)
Oh and 8-10 weeks for our recliner. Worth the wait eh ;)

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: September 6, 2006, 04:16:50 pm »
Think I'll have a look at the Panny offerings next year, assuming Sky reduce their HD fees at some stage

I spoke to Sky about spreading the cost of the HD box over 6 months or so and they said they were looking into that option for existing subscribers at the moment.  The bloke could have been trying to get me off the phone but it would make it alot more achievable for alot of people.

I can't really see prices coming down soon as their next big push will be for the Ashes and Christmas.  Although I am not sure if Aus is online with the whole HD technology yet so maybe the cricket wont be in HD assuming you can only view it in HD if the original broadcaster records it in HD.  Or maybe I don't know what I am talking about  :-\ :P

Offline wilo in berlin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: September 6, 2006, 04:34:57 pm »

Looks fantastic! You must be made up. Well done. :wellin

What speakers and amp have you got?

I bought a good CRT 18 months ago with component connections and the picture is really crisp. I've got about 300 SD dvds so am going to try and wait another 12 months until getting a HD plasma with not much HD material about at the mo... having said that Sky Italia are showing some Prem games this year in HD... interesting.

I take leaving the curtains open was for the purpose of the photo and all natural light is blocked out when it matters? ;)

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: September 6, 2006, 04:50:54 pm »
The amp is a Denon 2105 which has now been superseeded by the 2106.
The speakers are KEF 1005.1 which are bottom of the KEF EGG range.The 3005 is the latest I think but they are at around £999 for the 5 sats and sub,slightly over my budget.  ;D

Don't forget all Prem games and Sky+ games are shown in HD

As for the curtains,don't need to shut them during the day as there is no noticeable reflection whilst watching it.Of course at night,when everything is dark,the atmosphere is much better.

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red & White Kop
« Reply #313 on: September 17, 2006, 09:03:28 am »
I have to close the blinds for my Samsung rear projection tv!  :-[
The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.

Socrates

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #314 on: September 25, 2006, 08:51:37 pm »
Just given in to the missus' nagging and bought this:

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: September 26, 2006, 04:52:58 am »

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: September 26, 2006, 11:08:32 am »
I'm guessing you're still happy with yours then Keith ;)

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: September 26, 2006, 02:04:40 pm »
I'm guessing you're still happy with yours then Keith ;)

Yes indeedy.  ;D ;D

Offline kev78

• Legacy Fan
  • Deep Shit
« Reply #318 on: September 27, 2006, 08:12:31 am »

Same here!  :D

Offline Paul_McG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #319 on: September 30, 2006, 06:07:27 pm »

What sort of deal did you manage to get ?

Thinking of this myself seen online for £1250 from Currys ?