Author Topic: Television buying  (Read 371516 times)

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
Re: High Definition TVs
« Reply #240 on: June 4, 2006, 12:21:24 pm »
I'm looking to get an 32" LCD TV. What's the best one around the £1000 mark?

Cheers in advance  :wave

Gareth, is this the Samsung one you took back?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but does John Lewis price match thingy work for deals that web companies are doing? ie. Does the deal have to be physically in an actual store like http://www.edgwarehifi.co.uk for example?

Panasonic TX-32LXD60 is probably the best LCD at 32".Should be able to pick one up for a £1000 or you could buy from J.Lewis if you can't find a pricematch for £1295 which includes the 5 year guarantee.

J.Lewis will only pricematch bricks and mortar shops and will not pricematch web only offers.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline Carra'sPoundCoin

• Don't you see what's going on out there? Everyone hates us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: June 4, 2006, 12:55:26 pm »

Panasonic TX-32LXD60 is probably the best LCD at 32".Should be able to pick one up for a £1000 or you could buy from J.Lewis if you can't find a pricematch for £1295 which includes the 5 year guarantee.

J.Lewis will only pricematch bricks and mortar shops and will not pricematch web only offers.

Keith, do you know how long the Panasonic has been out for and if they have any immenent replacements lined up?

Found it for £902.99 (including delivery etc), so may be forced to order it from here without the security of the 5 year guarantee.

http://www.24electric.com/detail.php?ProdID=98379400&category=VI&subcategory=LC&source=webgains&siteid=4157

I've also done some trawling around on the net and found this Toshiba, which has some cracking reviews:

http://www.digitaldirectuk.com/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=10712&sa=DT-UNKNOWN&ff=11

http://www.digitaldirectuk.com/ddpix/PDFs/WHATHOMECINEMA_32WLT66.pdf

http://www.digitaldirectuk.com/ddpix/PDFs/WHATVIDEO_32WLT66.pdf

How does this compare to the Panasonic?
« Last Edit: June 4, 2006, 02:04:32 pm by Carra'sPoundCoin »
“Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor.”

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=11MQnQ8QjJs

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: June 4, 2006, 01:42:55 pm »
Our HD Sky came this morning, currently watching the cricket on it, David Gower is one wrinkly bastard. ;)

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: June 4, 2006, 05:17:23 pm »
Keith, do you know how long the Panasonic has been out for and if they have any immenent replacements lined up?

Found it for £902.99 (including delivery etc), so may be forced to order it from here without the security of the 5 year guarantee.

http://www.24electric.com/detail.php?ProdID=98379400&category=VI&subcategory=LC&source=webgains&siteid=4157

I've also done some trawling around on the net and found this Toshiba, which has some cracking reviews:

http://www.digitaldirectuk.com/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=10712&sa=DT-UNKNOWN&ff=11

The one I listed is the latest model and is only been out a month or two.It replaces the very good TX-32LXD50/500.

The Toshiba,from what I can gather is a very good unit,but the Panasonic is the best in that size and price bracket.It all depends if you want to spend  that little bit more at the end of the day.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline Carra'sPoundCoin

• Don't you see what's going on out there? Everyone hates us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: June 4, 2006, 08:56:56 pm »
The one I listed is the latest model and is only been out a month or two.It replaces the very good TX-32LXD50/500.

The Toshiba,from what I can gather is a very good unit,but the Panasonic is the best in that size and price bracket.It all depends if you want to spend  that little bit more at the end of the day.

Cheers Keith. Just wanted to consider all options. I just want the best TV overall and don't mind paying a bit extra to get it ;)
“Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor.”

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=11MQnQ8QjJs

Offline Joby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Glad he got the rebound
« Reply #245 on: June 15, 2006, 03:59:05 pm »
Our new Sony KDL32v2000 is coming out of the box right now. Hope it's a good'un like as I have no idea about TVs ;D

What's it like? I just bought the 40 inch of the same set - £1600 from dabs.com. John Lewis charging £500 more, and no way to get price-match down to that difference, as only Internet shops selling so cheap.

Reviews on AV Forums seemed very good, but wondered what you thought.

Shame I won't be able to get Sky HD before the end of the World Cup. Anyone actually seen that? Any good?
"The secret is that Liverpool are as strong as a pine cone"

Xabi Alonso

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: June 15, 2006, 04:43:40 pm »
What's it like? I just bought the 40 inch of the same set - £1600 from dabs.com. John Lewis charging £500 more, and no way to get price-match down to that difference, as only Internet shops selling so cheap.

Reviews on AV Forums seemed very good, but wondered what you thought.

Shame I won't be able to get Sky HD before the end of the World Cup. Anyone actually seen that? Any good?

John Lewis have pricematched H Preston before,as they have a bricks and mortar showroom,and they are doing it for £1680.

http://www.videokit.co.uk/cgi-bin/store1/commerce.cgi

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #247 on: June 27, 2006, 07:28:07 am »
Just had this installed yesterday:

Sony Bravia S-Series 32" LCD TV (KLV-S32A10)

Have to fiddle around with the settings but am already loving the picture - the blue of Italy and yellow of Australia showed up very nicely last night.  Paid the equivalent of about 1000 quid.  With cordless headphones, sorted out well for late night World Cup and, even better, Champions League watching.

Compared it with the V series which has the Wega engine and the latter is slightly better for DVD but not much of a difference for broadcast television as there is no HD here - not worth it for a price difference of 400 quid.  Got the equlvalent of 250 quid off the price as well.

Decided against plasmas until I feel comfortable spending enough to get the top of the line Pioneers.  Unless LCD quality improves for the larger size screen.  I do appreciate the lack of reflection on the LCD TV.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: June 27, 2006, 09:58:52 am »
Mate of mine went out and bought a Philips 42" HD ready plasma for 900 notes and its the worst picture quality I've seen since my spectrum 48k...fuckin horrible.

Remember ladies and gents if it seems a good deal, make sure you go see it in the flesh first. Just cos its 900 nicka don't mean its going to be a great picture.

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red & White Kop
« Reply #249 on: July 4, 2006, 11:16:31 pm »
To replace my 10 yr old cranked out Sony, I now have a 42 inch rear projection Samsung. It totally dominates the room! When I switch it on a digital musical tone announces the picture, after the 'self focusing' procedure it is like being at the pictures/cinema!

;D
The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.

Socrates

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #250 on: July 5, 2006, 09:32:26 am »
For those with HD TVs...do NOT use a scart connection. Use one of those HDMI thingy-ma-bos.

with scart you only get 30% of the HD quality

SOurce: some tv mag in WH SMITHS
« Last Edit: July 5, 2006, 09:38:42 am by buzzing »
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: July 5, 2006, 02:34:46 pm »
For those with HD TVs...do NOT use a scart connection. Use one of those HDMI thingy-ma-bos.

with scart you only get 30% of the HD quality

SOurce: some tv mag in WH SMITHS

or use a composite component connection, and wang the audio through your sound system

Edited as Im a thick c*nt
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 09:21:58 am by blert596 »
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Indi

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #252 on: July 5, 2006, 03:47:19 pm »
Got one of these bad boys. Splashed out on the colour model too.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: July 5, 2006, 04:54:09 pm »
or use a composite connection, and wang the audio through your sound system

Composite is not as good as RGB scart.

I think you are getting confused with component which is analogue and only secong to HDMI.

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #254 on: July 5, 2006, 09:06:50 pm »
Got one of these bad boys. Splashed out on the colour model too.

you big spender you
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline harmar

• Red Red Wine....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: July 8, 2006, 07:27:28 pm »
Does anyone know anything about the Samsung LE32R73BD ?

I saw it today and instantly wanted it.
"To be prepared is half the victory"   Miguel Cervantes

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: July 11, 2006, 09:20:11 am »
Composite is not as good as RGB scart.

I think you are getting confused with component which is analogue and only secong to HDMI.

Yup...thats the one I got.

Could never tell me component from me composite like.  :)
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline BrettD

• Legacy Fan
    • Want an accessible website? Click here!
« Reply #257 on: July 14, 2006, 07:56:13 am »

Carra,

I've got the Panny TX32LXD60 and it's fucking shit hot. The only down-side is there's only 2 scart sockets (instead of 3 on the older 500 moldel) but it makes up for it with 2 HDMI sockets.

Through an SD source it's OK if you set it up properly but through Sky HD it's out-fucking-standing.

I paid £849 for mine from ebuyer.com but when I checked back a while ago they'd put it up but only by about £10 or so.

Well worth the money, I can tell ya.

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red & White Kop
« Reply #258 on: July 21, 2006, 01:16:51 pm »
Intresting stuff! :thumbup
The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.

Socrates

Offline NatD

• Takes offence at authors and people who eat in restaurants.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: July 23, 2006, 05:08:10 pm »
In the next few months, I think I will be going for a 32" Panasonic LCD.

I currently have a Technics 5.1 DVD Sound System.  A question I have.

Am I best sticking to a Panasonic TV, Panasonic DVD and Panasonic Sound System (or even DVD+ 5.1 together)???

Or won't it really matter mixing the manufacturers up???

Thanks.
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline Ferg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: July 27, 2006, 10:06:59 pm »
Just plugged me new Samsung in. The difference in picture between an LCD and CRT is immediate. Very crisp, clear and vibrant and thats just a non HD Sky channel via scard and before tweaking it or trying DVD or HDTV.
Had mine delivered today and after a hour 'tweaking' around in the menus on the tv and the digibox,it looks great.
And thats with a normal telewest digital box.
Gonna order TV Drive tomorrow :)
Who wouldn't want to kick someone called Ferguson?
Quote from: Rafa Benitez
A big heart has space for everyone.

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: July 27, 2006, 10:24:56 pm »
Anyone know the current waiting time for Sky HD?

Are you charged for the HD box when it is delivered or when you place the order?

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: July 28, 2006, 03:39:17 am »
Anyone know the current waiting time for Sky HD?

Are you charged for the HD box when it is delivered or when you place the order?

If you go through the procedure on the Sky HD website of purchasing the box,before you get to the payments they give you installation dates.When I did mine last week (didn't order though) I think it was about a fortnight till installation.

Off to John Lewis later to see if I can get a pricematch on a Panny 42 PX 60 CAB for £1400 which EmpireDirect are doing them for.

Offline LFCJim

• Kopite
  • He's Scouse, He's Sound...
« Reply #264 on: July 28, 2006, 11:46:16 am »
If you go through the procedure on the Sky HD website of purchasing the box,before you get to the payments they give you installation dates.When I did mine last week (didn't order though) I think it was about a fortnight till installation.

Off to John Lewis later to see if I can get a pricematch on a Panny 42 PX 60 CAB for £1400 which EmpireDirect are doing them for.

Let me know how you get on there as was in there looking at Toshiba 42WLT66 the other day and they said that their "never knowingly undersold" didn't apply to online prices.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: July 28, 2006, 07:37:21 pm »
Let me know how you get on there as was in there looking at Toshiba 42WLT66 the other day and they said that their "never knowingly undersold" didn't apply to online prices.

Been in today and asked a lad about a pricematch for Empire Direct and he said he would check on the computer to see if they were a company they would pricematch.
He came back and he said J Lewis does not price match Empire Direct to which I told him he was talking out of his arse as I know of at least 6 examples in the last 3 weeks where they have,including the Cheadle branch down the road.

He then tried to tell me the reason being that the stock in Empire Direct was returns and special offers from websites.Again I told him he was talking bollocks as the goods there are new and come with full manufacturers warranty.

I then said,listen,if you want to lose the sale of 2 plasmas today,then fine,I'll nip down to the Cheadle branch and buy from there.He then said,wait a minute,I'll go and see the boss.Within a minute he was back and he said they would go ahead with the pricematch but they had to check it out first.

So I filled the forms in for a 37" and 42" PX60 PED priced at £1266.21 and £1427.11 respectively at Empiredirect.The sets at J.Lewis come with the free matching cabinet and 5 year guarantee.

He said I should here back from the Undersales department within the next 8 days.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: July 29, 2006, 10:39:17 am »
Before I went to bed last night,I had a quick scan through AVForums and a promotion code was posted that gave 20% off at J.Lewis.Ordered both the 37" and 42" and just need to see if the orders are processed or they dick me off because of the codes.Saved £660 altogether using the codes.

If I get knobbed off with the codes,I've still got the pricematch as back up.

Offline NatD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: July 29, 2006, 10:59:29 am »
AV Forums is truely in-valuable.

Was settled for the Panny 32" LCD, but the Missus wants a bigger screen now, so might have to look at the Panny 37" Plasma!!!!

Decisions Desicions!!!!!
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: July 29, 2006, 11:07:34 am »
AV Forums is truely in-valuable.

Was settled for the Panny 32" LCD, but the Missus wants a bigger screen now, so might have to look at the Panny 37" Plasma!!!!

Decisions Desicions!!!!!

Do it,the 32" looks soooo small these days after looking at so many plasmas and it's picture won't be as good as the PX60.

Offline Indi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: July 29, 2006, 12:02:59 pm »
http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct.action?product=KDL-32S2010&site=odw_en_GB&pageType=Overview&category=TVP+LCD+TV have one of these in our house after old one broke. Just need HD now but it handles SD ok and is good for DVDs

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: July 29, 2006, 01:39:44 pm »
http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct.action?product=KDL-32S2010&site=odw_en_GB&pageType=Overview&category=TVP+LCD+TV have one of these in our house after old one broke. Just need HD now but it handles SD ok and is good for DVDs

The inlaws have just got a V series 32" Sony delivered last week.

Just had a call from J.Lewis and  my PX60 will be delivered on Thurs,so the codes worked and saved me £360 (£660 overall) and with 5 year guarantee as well.

Offline Indi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: July 29, 2006, 03:51:28 pm »
The inlaws have just got a V series 32" Sony delivered last week.

Just had a call from J.Lewis and  my PX60 will be delivered on Thurs,so the codes worked and saved me £360 (£660 overall) and with 5 year guarantee as well.
Got this for 850 from dixons using some codes. Bargain really. Going to enjoy watching the footy on it.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: July 29, 2006, 04:23:34 pm »
Got this for 850 from dixons using some codes. Bargain really. Going to enjoy watching the footy on it.

This one?

http://www.johnlewis.com/Audio+and+TV/Televisions/++Shop+by+Screen+Type+/LCD+TV/230334874/Product.aspx

Offline Indi

• Legacy Fan

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: August 3, 2006, 07:37:01 pm »
Well my brand spanking new telly arrived this afternoon,but unfortunately it will be siting in it's box for at least a week whilst I gut the front room and channel out the walls for wall mounting and redecorate.

Itching to get into the box. ;D

Offline Joby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Glad he got the rebound
« Reply #275 on: August 4, 2006, 12:18:45 am »
Well my brand spanking new telly arrived this afternoon,but unfortunately it will be siting in it's box for at least a week whilst I gut the front room and channel out the walls for wall mounting and redecorate.

Itching to get into the box. ;D

Wow - it's been an epic, with how long you took to decide. You must have been reading AVForums for months. Nice one, hope you're made up with it when you finally take it out the box.

I went with the Sony 40" V series. Getting Sky HD fitted tomorrow. Can't wait for the football to start, although I guess cricket will be okay to test it, along with no doubt 100 nature documentaries.

Can't believe how much Sky HD costs, but then, once you pay that much for a TV, may as well have stuff to watch on it. Who needs to go outside anyway?
"The secret is that Liverpool are as strong as a pine cone"

Xabi Alonso

Offline NatD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: August 4, 2006, 08:15:05 am »
AV Forums has been a great read - loads of information on there.

Have decided on the Panny TH37PX60 Plasma with Panny All In One Sounds system as well.

Won't be till September, so hopefully should still be able to get a price match from ED!!!!

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: August 17, 2006, 03:20:50 pm »
Just bought a Sky HD box over the phone,delivery tomorrow as Sky would not waiver their £60 installation charge the robbing twats.It's a straight swap for the Sky+ box and I've rung them 3 times trying to get them to forego the installation charge but they weren't having any of yet.Will just need to pair the card to the box over the phone and take a HD subscription out.

Sky's latest install date in 7th Sept,so I've saved a few weeks of wait as well,oh and the box was only £295.

Offline asif_ahmed

• Main Stander
  • 5 A side football on Sundays r the best!!!!!
« Reply #278 on: August 19, 2006, 09:43:16 am »
I USED TO WORK FOR DIXONS...............DONT MEAN ANYTHING BUT WORKED VERY CLOSLY WITH SONY AND PANASONIC. IV ALWAYS RATED PANASONIC SYSTEMS FOR THERE DESIGN AND BUILD.

RECENTLY I SPOKE TO A LAD WHO INTSALLS HD FLATSCREENS IN HOTLES AROUND THE WORL AND HE STTED THAT HE HAS HAD A LOT OF PROBLEMS WITH SONY HD SYSTEMS BUT HAS NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH PANASONIC........

Offline bobby19

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA !!
« Reply #279 on: August 20, 2006, 07:43:51 pm »
Looking to buy a 42" tv preferably HD.
Was wondering if anyone could tell me whats the best stuff out there at the moment - am willing to spend around £1500 and want a nice looking black tv ??
Cheers