Author Topic: Mindhunter (Netflix)  (Read 15882 times)

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Mindhunter (Netflix)
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2017, 08:40:32 am »
I gave up halfway in to episode 1. Might go back after reading this

Understandable. It's the worst episode by far, and the script was awful.

Once it comes to interviews, the script gets much better and the characters improved, and it goes from there.

I'd watch the rest of that and episode 2 and then conclude whether you want to continue, I reckon

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2017, 11:14:29 am »
I'm halfway through this and I'm really enjoying it. For me, I can't watch more than one at a time but I don't think it is designed for a binge-watch. Each episode gives you something different to think about and ponder and I like that. I've been tempted to go straight to the next episode but I think you really need to digest each one. Or maybe I'm just thick.

I think the acting of the guy who plays Holden Ford is a bit odd. I can't explain it. Not bad, just a little bit obvious and too stereotypical for that kind of character. Still, it is great so far and I hope the quality keeps up.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2017, 01:21:27 pm »
For me, I can't watch more than one at a time but I don't think it is designed for a binge-watch.

No it's not. Obviously won't happen but would be better if Netflix released the likes of The Punisher at once and the likes of Mindhunter every week.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2017, 05:03:10 pm »
I'm halfway through this and I'm really enjoying it. For me, I can't watch more than one at a time but I don't think it is designed for a binge-watch. Each episode gives you something different to think about and ponder and I like that. I've been tempted to go straight to the next episode but I think you really need to digest each one. Or maybe I'm just thick.

I think the acting of the guy who plays Holden Ford is a bit odd. I can't explain it. Not bad, just a little bit obvious and too stereotypical for that kind of character. Still, it is great so far and I hope the quality keeps up.
I found him a bit odd, too. It's like he is not normal in his head, a bit frozen, slow, weird, whatever you want to call it.

Maybe the real guy was like that, too, but I would normally think that the character was realistic/believable if it was another story. However, given the fact that the story is about psycho's, I am willing to accept that the "mindhunters" were a bit weird, too.

Offline Poet

• He IS a poet! And he truly knows it! He's a new member; fresh fire from old ember. No idiot or fool, for he follows Liverpool. A CT gift from heaven! Well, actually, from 24/7...who's taller than 5' 11"!
  • Kopite
    • Sui-Juris
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2017, 05:30:31 pm »
I gave up halfway in to episode 1. Might go back after reading this

I was in a similar situation. It certainly becomes more enticing as the episodes progress.
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2017, 06:04:10 pm »

Yeah, I think you're right. (Not about being thick.) I watched it all over the space of about a week, and I think I may have rushed it. There's a lot to take in.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Walshy7

• metete un palo por el culo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Its evolution baby
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2017, 03:38:32 am »
Understandable. It's the worst episode by far, and the script was awful.

Once it comes to interviews, the script gets much better and the characters improved, and it goes from there.

I'd watch the rest of that and episode 2 and then conclude whether you want to continue, I reckon
Yep, episode 2 was great !
'You two scousers are always yappin, im gonna teach you some serious rappin, i come from Jamaica my name is john barnes, and when i do my thing the crowd go bananas'

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2017, 04:22:45 am »
Yep, episode 2 was great !

Glad you enjoyed it mate!

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2017, 05:00:53 am »
No it's not. Obviously won't happen but would be better if Netflix released the likes of The Punisher at once and the likes of Mindhunter every week.
What rubbish - I watched it over three days!

It's excellent. To know that Kemper has an IQ of 145 makes him even more chilling than he appears on screen.

And more topical than ever with Manson just dying..

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2017, 12:09:06 pm »
Bit off topic, but theres a couple of great videos on David Finchers directing style. His use of subtle SFX to paint the style of Mindhunter, and also the way he tracks shots to each character. 

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Di4Byf1EzRE&amp;t=255s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Di4Byf1EzRE&amp;t=255s</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/GfqD5WqChUY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/GfqD5WqChUY</a>

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2017, 03:43:44 pm »
I've been waiting for something to come along and fill the void that the early Mad Men seasons left. Before that particular show spiralled out of control, it possessed a hypnotically slow paced charm that set it apart from everything else. You didn't watch the episodes as much as let them seep into you. Mindhunter is the same. Intelligent storytelling, alluring atmosphere, perfectly honed dialogue and subtle imagery. It manages to take the most worn out premise there is (detectives, serial killers) and make it seem like uncharted territory.

Probably the best television show I've watched this year.

Offline digger barnes 87

• Kopite
  • TOXTETH RED 4 life
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2017, 04:36:27 pm »
On epsoide 8 now,  really good,  defo one of the better shows this year.
“Don’t worry Alan. At least you’ll be able to play close to a great team!” Bill Shankly to Alan Ball after he signed for Everton

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2017, 10:24:37 pm »
In very unsurprising news, it's been officially renewed for a second season.  I heard Groff on a podcast a while ago talking about Fincher talking about a multi-year commitment.

In an interview with Billboard a week later, Fincher let slip that the second season will cover the Atlanta Child Murders that resulted in the deaths of 29 people—most, but not all, children, and all of them African-American—between 1979 and 1981.

https://www.avclub.com/netflix-renews-mindhunter-for-an-obsessive-second-seaso-1820884348
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #53 on: December 1, 2017, 11:33:26 am »
Thanks Ray. Was expected but great news nonetheless.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #54 on: December 1, 2017, 11:01:48 pm »
Happy days, any release dates?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: December 3, 2017, 10:04:12 pm »
I would have to agree that this was the best show of 2017. Excellent acting.
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline Stand Free

• Anny Roader
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2017, 12:22:57 pm »
Loved this, definitely one of the best this year for me.

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2017, 12:57:47 am »
just got onto this, love it! bit slow paced but really interesting show nonetheless
. .
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2017, 05:39:40 pm »
Manhunt: Unabomber is worth a watch, kinda in the same vein as this. Netflix too btw.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2017, 04:26:12 pm »
Manhunt: Unabomber is worth a watch, kinda in the same vein as this. Netflix too btw.
Yea watched the whole thing in two days last week. Netflix are killing it!
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline F-T-9

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2017, 10:01:55 am »
Just watched episode one. Was a bit slow and boring at times but I could see the potential for a fantastic series. Does it get better? Less slow paced?

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2017, 10:06:33 am »
Just watched episode one. Was a bit slow and boring at times but I could see the potential for a fantastic series. Does it get better? Less slow paced?

Pace doesn't change much, but it does get better. The characters get better writing, and new ones introduced add a lot

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2017, 05:21:23 pm »
Yea watched the whole thing in two days last week. Netflix are killing it!

They most certainly are, wonder whats next?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2017, 03:24:56 pm »
Best show of 2017 for me. Season 3 of Narcos was incredibly good fun and well put together but I think this edged it for me. Just outstanding in every aspect.

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2018, 01:53:28 pm »
Just finished watching, absolutely loved it and left wanting more.

Intrigued as to the guy from Kansas, not sure what to make of those short scenes?

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2018, 05:21:10 pm »
Nicely summed up!

Would also add it had featured some great locations all over the states, and looked like the seventies without being jarring or forcing references down your throat.

On the very last scene, does anyone think it might be a bit of a tease that will ultimately have no payoff? Almost like here is an active serial killer, and one the police are nowhere near. And then next season another one, that even a more established BSU can't get near etc to show the futility in trying to understand everyone. Maybe I'm getting too used to David Lynch set-ups without pay off, that are somehow still satisfying tohugh..

This isn't really a spoiler, because it's history, but...

Spoiler
That was Dennis Rader, aka BTK. He was active from 1974 to 1979, then took a break, which it looks like he was doing at the end of the series. He killed a couple more in the mid eighties, and then one more in 91. He probably would have got away with the murders, but just had to taunt the police in the mid 2000s. He communicated a few times and then asked them if a floppy disk could be traced. They told him it couldn't so the silly twat sent it in and got caught.

So, unless there's a big time jump, we've seen the last of him for a while.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Rader

If the next series is set from 79-81 or so, series 3 or 4 will probably be The Night Stalker. His capture was fucking nuts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Ramirez#Capture

For one similar to BTK, ie just a scene here and there, Dahmer would be a good choice, as he was active starting in 1978, ending in 1991.

[close]
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Another Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2018, 01:00:05 am »
Watched a few episodes a while back. Found it quite boring and slow to be honest. Lacking a bit of substance.

Maybe I'll give it another try.

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2019, 12:10:20 pm »
Season 2 on Netflix today.

Offline eddymunster

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2019, 01:52:44 pm »
Season 2 on Netflix today.

Quality, thanks for the heads up  :thumbsup
Brexit (n) - "The undefined being negotiated by the unprepared in order to get the unspecified for the uninformed."

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2019, 01:56:13 pm »
Good news ta

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2019, 02:25:42 am »
Fuckin pumped.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2019, 06:35:56 pm »
Getting stuck into it later. Can't wait.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2019, 11:58:43 pm »
Went to watch first episode tonight. Watched four on the spin. Excellent stuff.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2019, 10:27:32 pm »
Massive fan of the first series.
Watched four of the 2nd, it’s ok but a bit disjointed. A few stories going on at the same time making it not flow as well as the first.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2019, 03:46:20 pm »
I enjoyed season two. Season three has been confirmed?

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2019, 05:26:56 pm »
I enjoyed season two. Season three has been confirmed?
Not yet. Hope they do though.

Season 2 was not as good as season 1 but it was still top stuff.

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2019, 06:35:31 pm »
Couldn’t help myself and binged the whole season over the weekend. Couldn’t play golf so why not, but now gutted I’ll have to wait.

They’ve said it’ll be likely 5 seasons. Book arrived yesterday, thought I’d satisfy my appetite by giving that a read.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2019, 06:55:51 pm »
I'm trying to ration myself as I need to work as well, but loving it, with the music surprises a bit of a treat as well. I didn't know the Steve Miller Fly Like an Eagle track, and then found the album in the house the next day, whilst looking for something else. Chuffed!. I was just playgrading some early 70s Hawkwind, then put the Miller album on, and, same space vibe going on. Someone is playing Sitar on the 3rd track, so a great album that is destined for a few return visits to the table. Quite fancy catching the directors film Zodiac now.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2019, 07:13:07 pm »
I'm trying to ration myself as I need to work as well, but loving it, with the music surprises a bit of a treat as well. I didn't know the Steve Miller Fly Like an Eagle track, and then found the album in the house the next day, whilst looking for something else. Chuffed!. I was just playgrading some early 70s Hawkwind, then put the Miller album on, and, same space vibe going on. Someone is playing Sitar on the 3rd track, so a great album that is destined for a few return visits to the table. Quite fancy catching the directors film Zodiac now.

I love Fincher (Se7en being one of my favourite ever movies) and I also love the genre but I just couldn't get into Zodiac, I really couldn't. Its very highly rated and critics rave about it so its probably just me. Maybe I should give it another try.

Think i'll give Mindhunter a blast myself though :)

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2019, 11:53:56 pm »
Flew through the new series over the weekend, it was great stuff again really good show. Like how they focused on Holden's partners this season and seeing them get to use their newly developed profiling techniques in an ongoing investigation. It'll definitely be back, its one of Netflix's best shows they'll keep it going as long as Fincher wants to keep going and he's said 5 seasons is what he had envisaged for it.