Author Topic: Retirement.....what age for you ?  (Read 4791 times)

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
Re: Retirement.....what age for you ?
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2008, 03:37:23 pm »
You haven't really thought this out properly have you?

As you're going in cahoot's with the cat, do you really think you'll find enough to be able to feed 2 mouths?

Hmm, might need to re-think. Maybe I'll do a course to learn how to catch pheasant & deer. Or I could live off road kill  :lickin

Offline wickolfc

• Seriously Thick Feedback Tourist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "He's big an he's fuckin' ard"
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2008, 03:41:48 pm »
Your dad is 26? ???

Yeah, he was 8 when he had me, the dirty bastard. ;) ;D

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2008, 07:20:22 pm »
I plan to make a mint and retire before I am 35.

I will then spend the rest of my life fishing on one of the Islands in the Indian ocean.

If that plan fails I will prob retire at 50.
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2008, 08:05:45 pm »
Have not a clue really as my plans to kick up at 50 have gone backwards since 2001. The main nest egg, the house, has lost 30% of its value the past 2 years and even if the economy kicks up again I doubt if its value high (2005 or so) will hit the same figures by 2015, basically that may have fecked up my plans for quite a few years (sell the place, put 150k -200k in the bank, semiretire to any old shyte hold in central America, Caribbean where I can work away in the golf industry).

Cheers to the baby boom generation for milking the 80s & 90s. The cow is looking a wee dry but hopefully times will change in the next 4 - 8 years. Its all part of a cycle anyway I guess.

I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2008, 08:46:52 pm »
The crazy house price rises put paid to my early retirement plans, I fear...

Had always intended to buy a house every 5 years to let, and then sell the lot at 50 / 55.

House prices then went fucking bonkers for 5 years (particularly in comparison to wages) so, where I could have afforded to own two or three by now had they rose at a normal level, I can't afford to buy, upkeep or pay the surplus from a normal rental value now.

Still, I'm not bothering about a pension. They could well be worth fuck all in thefuture anyway, and I pay about £1000 to the government every month anyway, so they can fucking well look after me when I'm old.
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2008, 08:57:25 pm »
Here in good old USA you basically have to save your own pension but anyone in their 30s probably has seen annual growths in their funds go from 10% plus to squat the past few years. or worse. My mate just saw his funds lose 40% of their value since 2006....god awful.

Not going to bitch that much as things will pan out over time I hope. The job if all goes well may double my income in 2 - 3 years once profit sharing kicks in a little better. Work from home so may just pack by bags and move to a spot near the Gulf where rent is miniable ..tired of paying a $2000 a month mortgage to be honest as it is feckin draining.....and try and put some money in the bank instead.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline rafas red brigade

• Anny Roader
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2008, 01:55:19 pm »
12 September 2024....day before my 35th birthday. ;D

that's the idea anyway....optimistic i know.  Been taking business and chinese at uni for a year now.  want a job that would make me enough money to retire early...the thought of working until 2054 makes me want to cry.  but my chinese professor told me last month that one of his old students became a millionaire at 27 and that suits me just fine:)

anyway....still probably wont be able to retire til i'm in my 50's

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2008, 07:47:31 pm »
Realistically about 60

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2008, 08:02:36 pm »
Funny , every one seems to talk about money , yet the key issue is the longer you work ( and dependent on what you do) your life expectency  trials of dramatically after 60.if you carry on working past this age ( Insurance companies know this and more importnaly so do the pension companies)...or in high stress jobs mid fifties....Doctors , Dentist know they need to pack in before 55 if they want to live past their sixties.

Offline Elli

• kelly without the k, and the y replaced with an i
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2008, 11:47:12 pm »
Been to meet my landlord for next year tonight. He's been retired just over 17 years, and he doesn't look a day over 62. He's 74 at least, based on the conversation about driving tests we had.

Clearly, retirement is good for you. Maybe I'll rethink my pension ;D

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2008, 08:22:13 am »
Funny , every one seems to talk about money , yet the key issue is the longer you work ( and dependent on what you do) your life expectency  trials of dramatically after 60.if you carry on working past this age ( Insurance companies know this and more importnaly so do the pension companies)...or in high stress jobs mid fifties....Doctors , Dentist know they need to pack in before 55 if they want to live past their sixties.

There's some saying among teachers that says if you stop at 60, you'll live another 20, and if you go on til 65 you'll be dead in two.

Offline Marcus6

• QueenOfTheSouth7 (steals food from children)
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 ft 2, Eyes of Blue, Billy Bonds is after you...
Retirement
« Reply #51 on: January 9, 2009, 11:35:36 am »
I've just had to go over my details for my company, address, DOB etc.

It has my retirement date on it.

I don't retire until 24/7/2052.

How upsetting is that. We'll be in flying cars by then.

How long have you lot got?
From custard slices to menstrual waste in 4 posts. That's impressive, even for RAWK.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
Re: Retirement
« Reply #52 on: January 9, 2009, 11:38:41 am »
2030, but I've got a complex of tunnels on the go called, Tom, Dick and Harry. If they fail then I'm going to try and sneak out disguised as a washerwoman.
Legacy fan

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #53 on: January 9, 2009, 11:38:49 am »
 if me numbers come up.. next week....

if not hopefully only 7-8 more years of paying the house off, and saving a bit to live on..

to be honest, dont think i could ever fully retire.. always have to do odd jobs, finda  project of some sort to work on..
 im a firm believer in .." the day ya  retire , is the day ya start dying, unless youve got something to do"
JFT 96

Offline slimshady

• Stupidista
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: January 9, 2009, 11:45:36 am »
about 25 years so 2034...but at the moment canny see me a) staying about that long or b) retiring as will be too skint having spent the prime of me life wasting cash  ;D

always feel for those retired folk with nowt much to do who always get the bus daily just to "pop to the shops"

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: January 9, 2009, 11:53:02 am »
I reckon in about forty-five years or so.

Only been working for a year and a half so can't really complain.

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: January 9, 2009, 11:55:32 am »

05.10.2021. Day before my 40th birthday.

Although I may be able to extend for up to 15 years if I want (and I qualify).
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: January 9, 2009, 11:59:17 am »
I'm aiming to retire asap! Hopefully I'll be semi retired by 40. So 2030.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: January 9, 2009, 12:13:33 pm »

You're far too young to be worrying about shit like that lad. Get back to work/study, whatever it is you kids do.

Offline Marcus6

• QueenOfTheSouth7 (steals food from children)
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 ft 2, Eyes of Blue, Billy Bonds is after you...
« Reply #59 on: January 9, 2009, 01:07:02 pm »
05.10.2021. Day before my 40th birthday.

Although I may be able to extend for up to 15 years if I want (and I qualify).

Only if the terrorists don't get you ;D
From custard slices to menstrual waste in 4 posts. That's impressive, even for RAWK.

Offline AndoNagasaki

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • the devil makes good use for these hands of mine
« Reply #60 on: January 9, 2009, 01:15:40 pm »
I'm not going to retire.  It would be shite.

I had a day off a while ago for something and it was one of the most depressing feelings.  People need a purpose.
the trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin I keep sliding off to the side

Offline red-dragon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #61 on: January 9, 2009, 01:56:55 pm »
2038 for me, can't come soon enough, with any luck I will be able to get out earlier.

The trick is to retire to something, not from something. Would be nice to be able to have the choice of whether to work or not, would love to take a volunteering job, part time in an animal shelter or something. Not being tied to 8 - 4, five days a week, that's what depresses me.

Have to get saving and then I can retire earlier.

Offline NotAsBigDanno

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: January 9, 2009, 03:38:15 pm »
My Dad retires next month and this credit crunch has proper fucked his pension.  :'(

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #63 on: January 9, 2009, 06:55:46 pm »
Effectively December 2021 when my warehouse building is paid off.

Maybe earlier if I can stand to pay it earlier.

I'll be 51.

Cant fucking wait.

I can fairly happy doing fuck all, all day, all week, all year.

Offline Perkins

• Legacy Fan
  • Prepare to be Skrtelised
« Reply #64 on: January 9, 2009, 06:57:09 pm »
That is grim, I reckon i'll die before i'll retire
To avoid murdering each other, you'll have to keep yourselves anaesthetised with DVD boxsets and the occasional holiday. Life partner? Joy thief, more like

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #65 on: January 9, 2009, 09:49:50 pm »
I retired for a week last March but now I think I'll aim for another go in nine years time when I'll be 57.
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Planning for retirement
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2020, 03:20:47 pm »
An odd place to ask for some advice on this but it can't hurt.

My wife and I (mid-30s) both earn good salaries and have no plans to have kids. Our plan is to retire as early as possible, perhaps relocating abroad.

Not sure if anyone on here is an IFA or could offer some basic advice on planning for retirement. Is it normal for someone in their 30s to see an IFA or should we just do the basics (like paying the maximum into our pensions and making mortgage overpayments) before seeing someone?

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
Re: Planning for retirement
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2020, 04:03:59 pm »
I've always found it really serves you well to sit down with an expert for an hour and just discuss your plans and your options without waiting too long. The trick is of course to find one you trust or feel like you could pay them as a consultant just for their time without them selling you something.

Offline Dazzer23

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2020, 09:08:47 pm »
No harm in all at seeing an IFA. (Think I was 25 when I first saw one, so you're not to young!)

I always go to Martin Lewis' website - moneysavingsexpert - as a first point of call for all things financial. It really is excellent and you will find downloadable guides on pensions, investments etc

And for what it's worth, my two penneth, you can't beat pensions as a long term investment, you can't touch it until you're 55 but your employer will often match your contributions and you also get a tax saving on the amount of your contribution.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2020, 09:02:58 am »
My official age is 67, which is 14 years away, so 2034, but way am I working full time that long. We've had the absolute shit scared out of us over the wifes health this week and I want to be stopped by 60 and go part time then and enjoy some life with her and do things I want to do.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2020, 12:55:44 pm »
No harm in all at seeing an IFA. (Think I was 25 when I first saw one, so you're not to young!)

I always go to Martin Lewis' website - moneysavingsexpert - as a first point of call for all things financial. It really is excellent and you will find downloadable guides on pensions, investments etc

And for what it's worth, my two penneth, you can't beat pensions as a long term investment, you can't touch it until you're 55 but your employer will often match your contributions and you also get a tax saving on the amount of your contribution.

Thanks, mate. I have always maxed my pension contributions. I could just do some with some insight on whether to invest extra cash in AVCs, an ISA, a LISA, paying down my mortgage, etc.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2020, 01:28:26 pm »
67 for me but not a chance I'm working till then.  I've not really worked full time for the last 7yrs or so and now I'm picking and choosing what I do and when I do it. 

That will change in the next few months as I embark on the dream of a lifetime job but even so I've told them they'll have 5yrs max out of me before I hand everything back to them.

We're skint as like but as long as the bills are covered we can survive on pennies.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2020, 03:34:53 pm »
Effectively December 2021 when my warehouse building is paid off.

Maybe earlier if I can stand to pay it earlier.

I'll be 51.

Cant fucking wait.

I can fairly happy doing fuck all, all day, all week, all year.

holy fuck. just read this from 11 years ago.

three months before my kid was born. just turned 50. Cant imagine retiring for quite a while. so much has happened in the last 11 years.

probably would have been able to retire earlier if i worked harder and didnt cruise RAWK all day

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Planning for retirement
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2020, 03:47:46 pm »
An odd place to ask for some advice on this but it can't hurt.

My wife and I (mid-30s) both earn good salaries and have no plans to have kids. Our plan is to retire as early as possible, perhaps relocating abroad.

Not sure if anyone on here is an IFA or could offer some basic advice on planning for retirement. Is it normal for someone in their 30s to see an IFA or should we just do the basics (like paying the maximum into our pensions and making mortgage overpayments) before seeing someone?
PM me with any questions if you like mate. I'm involved in this area so happy to provide a steer for a fellow red if it helps.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2020, 03:50:17 pm »
67 for me but not a chance I'm working till then.  I've not really worked full time for the last 7yrs or so and now I'm picking and choosing what I do and when I do it. 

That will change in the next few months as I embark on the dream of a lifetime job but even so I've told them they'll have 5yrs max out of me before I hand everything back to them.

We're skint as like but as long as the bills are covered we can survive on pennies.

I'm the same but don't tell the boss  ;)
Legacy fan

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2020, 04:33:04 pm »
I'm the same but don't tell the boss  ;)

;D

Offline Oscarmac

• Kenny is King
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2020, 11:39:45 pm »
12 years later....still on track to retire at 56. Another 12 years and i'll nearly be there.
They are only great because we are on our knees......let us arise!