Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 589988 times)

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #400 on: January 27, 2024, 05:29:33 pm »
How Liverpool spent last 2 months preparing for Jurgen Klopp exit
Alex Caple
30 MINS AGO
ALEX CAPLE

Liverpool have been preparing for two months to start a new manager search after Jurgen Klopp notified them of his decision to leave. The German departs at the end of the season.

While the world was shocked by Jurgen Klopp announcing his Liverpool departure on Friday, the club's owners weren't. A select few already knew of his desire to depart after he called Mike Gordon in November with his decision.

That sparked action at the club, naturally, as they started the manager search that they didn't want to make. But per the Athletic, it wasn't exactly easy.

Klopp wasn't ready to fully announce the news (and wouldn't be for two months, as it turned out). Liverpool couldn't exactly make approaches, then, as that would certainly cause the news to leak out.

They were still able to make moves, though. The data department, with Will Spearman at the head, have spent two months doing 'background work' on potential successors. They're specifically looking for candidates who fit Liverpool's current brand of football.

After all, Liverpool won't want to make drastic changes in that regard. Their squad has been built to play Klopp's style and their best chance of continuing the success is for the next manager to want a similar squad.

So who's on the list? There have been a few early rumours, naturally.

The biggest link is to Xabi Alonso. The Spaniard is thriving at Bayer Leverkusen right now, taking them to the top of the Bundesliga and unbeaten. Doing that on his budget is quite extraordinary and makes him a target for any club - but especially a club where he already has roots.

Roberto De Zerbi is another linked with the job. The Brighton boss has been seriously impressive since arriving there and the Reds have reportedly kept an eye on him before.

And now we're seeing talk of Sporting's Ruben Amorim. At this stage, it's simply about drawing up candidates - but these three appear to be frontrunners.

As for who the fans want, well, there's a clear favourite there: Alonso.
Kill the humourless

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #401 on: January 27, 2024, 05:30:24 pm »
And this is why I'm glad FSG are in charge of us, not some money rich blood drenched loon from Saudi Arabia, or megalomaniac billionaire who would undoubtedly make some stupid decision like hiring Gerrard for no reason other than he's an icon of the club.

FSG talk about processes more than a middle management conference, but that's the way to do it. Without it, I wouldn't trust it. Professional to a tee, it is some source of comfort that I trust them with this process not to make a stupid decision.

To be fair their process only worked with Klopp. We will soon find out how much it was them and how much it was Klopp.

Offline Oldmanmick

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #402 on: January 27, 2024, 05:31:48 pm »
This. You could tell as a player Alonso had the potential for top level management. Gerrard nope.

Yeah, they were both great players. But Gerrard seemed to play on instinct quite a lot & loved to play on the front foot, whereas Xabi was more cultured & seemed to be more aware of the 'better' options out there on the pitch. If you could transpose those qualities to fit within a managerial context then Alonso's style would be far better suited to our club.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #403 on: January 27, 2024, 05:32:31 pm »
Sorry i dont follow that logic,Emery is a good manager thats proven to win things. Is he amazing, no but he should be able to get us things like top four and we all know how important that is to the club. We dont know Alonso can do that.

Emery is a good manager but we know as an absolute matter of fact that he is not as good as Klopp and never will be.

He should have been able to get Arsenal in the top 4 but didn't. Villarreal and Sevilla were in and out. PSG he failed. He cannot win away games.

You're right that we don't know if Alonso can do it, but we also don't know if he could go on to become the best manager there is. So we can either accept mediocrity at best and give up on winning the League for a few years, or take a risk and potentially be better off for it.

As people said yesterday, your incessant need to shit on Alonso is just weird. And now you're coming up with alternatives it's even stranger.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 05:36:16 pm by LovelyCushionedHeader »
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #404 on: January 27, 2024, 05:33:04 pm »
At the moment Emery would be the most obvious pick.

He isn't. He isn't good enough to win a league with us. I like him but he is below our level.

You seem to want an experienced manager but all the experiences managers are proven experience below our level.

Emery is a good manager to top 4 and maybe winning a cup, but he isn't going to win you a league

Spalletti has a managerial record that looks similar to Raneri's although his napoli side played great football (but also fell off pretty severely in the second half of the season)

Hansi Flick won at Bayern but with the best side in the league and perhaps the world at the time, he didn't look massively convincing as a manager, more good as a coach. And then absolutely floundered as Germany manager

You are ruling out the likes of Alonso and De Zerbi because "They won fuck all" put the talent is clearly there, and instead go for an old head who we know isn't good enough but hey his CV is padded.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 05:36:58 pm by Stockholm Syndrome »

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #405 on: January 27, 2024, 05:33:18 pm »
Starting to wonder what Alonso did to KH :)
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #406 on: January 27, 2024, 05:33:24 pm »
Yeah, think he's a good outsider. Does he speak English?  I don't want to seem Frottage-ish but think it's tough if you come over not speaking the language.

No idea mate. But it has to be better than Zidane, who speaks none of it.  ;D

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: January 27, 2024, 05:35:03 pm »
And this is why I'm glad FSG are in charge of us, not some money rich blood drenched loon from Saudi Arabia, or megalomaniac billionaire who would undoubtedly make some stupid decision like hiring Gerrard for no reason other than he's an icon of the club.

FSG talk about processes more than a middle management conference, but that's the way to do it. Without it, I wouldn't trust it. Professional to a tee, it is some source of comfort that I trust them with this process not to make a stupid decision.

The people that brought you Brendan Rodgers
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: January 27, 2024, 05:35:45 pm »
Amorim also has £15m buy out clause from Sporting.

Offline Oldmanmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #409 on: January 27, 2024, 05:35:59 pm »
To be fair their process only worked with Klopp. We will soon find out how much it was them and how much it was Klopp.

TBF though FSG have been learning as they go along. I seriously doubt now they'll take on someone who doesn't fit the bill. End of the day the likes of Klopp & Pep are probably the 2 best managers in the world right now, so whoever FSG replace him with is going to be a gamble.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #410 on: January 27, 2024, 05:36:06 pm »
Well the fire in town has black smoke so they haven't picked a replacement yet 😂

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #411 on: January 27, 2024, 05:36:38 pm »

And Jurgen.
Kill the humourless

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #412 on: January 27, 2024, 05:37:07 pm »

In fairness, who else was coming back then?  Klopp didn't want it, De Boer and Villas Boas were the others mentioned and they were both shite.  We were going nowhere as a club. No fan of Rodgers at all but this isn't the same situation.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #413 on: January 27, 2024, 05:38:20 pm »
Amorim also has £15m buy out clause from Sporting.

It's completely unfair and just based off emotions but Amorim just reminds me too much of AVB who was the next big thing coming out of Portugal at the time. He may be different but I'd put him way behind Alonso and De Zerbi who are performing at top leagues

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: January 27, 2024, 05:38:41 pm »
And Jurgen.

The best manager in the world was on a break, it wasnt rocket science.

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: January 27, 2024, 05:38:53 pm »
In fairness, who else was coming back then?  Klopp didn't want it, De Boer and Villas Boas were the others mentioned and they were both shite.  We were going nowhere as a club. No fan of Rodgers at all but this isn't the same situation.

Well it could have been Bobby Brown Shoes  :-X

Offline Gerard00

• Anny Roader
« Reply #416 on: January 27, 2024, 05:39:20 pm »
Like that is the reason he shouldn’t be on the list?  ;D  He’s not good enough. seeing names like him, Frank and even Beheddie Howe mentioned is mad.

Why is Ange not good enough? Seems to play good football, talks well, plays decent football, doing. a good job with Spurs in a limited period of time and may be talking crap here but i thought i'd read he was a Liverpool fan.

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: January 27, 2024, 05:40:05 pm »

I think people forget how good a job Brendan did, it's only when comparing to Klopp that his record doesn't look good.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: January 27, 2024, 05:40:56 pm »
Well it could have been Bobby Brown Shoes  :-X
'

Trust their process

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #419 on: January 27, 2024, 05:41:22 pm »
It's completely unfair and just based off emotions but Amorim just reminds me too much of AVB who was the next big thing coming out of Portugal at the time. He may be different but I'd put him way behind Alonso and De Zerbi who are performing at top leagues

He's my left field choice mate if we don't end up with Xabi.

He's also won trophies at the club, so that's a tick in his box.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #420 on: January 27, 2024, 05:41:31 pm »
I think people forget how good a job Brendan did, it's only when comparing to Klopp that his record doesn't look good.

Yep, he was a good appointment and nearly an inspired one for his first two seasons. Didn't work out in the end, but most managers don't.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #421 on: January 27, 2024, 05:42:29 pm »

A man who should actually have won the league rather than the cheats.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: January 27, 2024, 05:42:53 pm »
'

Trust their process

So who would be your choice mate? You're in here shitting on evreyones opinions.  ;D

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #423 on: January 27, 2024, 05:42:55 pm »

He had one top 4 finish in the 3 full seasons he was here, got to no finals, was utterly awful in the CL in that one season he got in (and not great in the Europa), not really sure he did that good  ;D

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: January 27, 2024, 05:43:29 pm »
A man who should actually have won the league rather than the cheats.

Campaign to bring him back then Jill

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: January 27, 2024, 05:43:42 pm »
Why is Ange not good enough? Seems to play good football, talks well, plays decent football, doing. a good job with Spurs in a limited period of time and may be talking crap here but i thought i'd read he was a Liverpool fan.

His football is some of the most naive I have seen - it's bombastic attack with no consideration of getting punched in the nose. Is going to win nothing this year as well. You don't win leagues like that, hell you may struggle to get top 4 playing like that.

Also for someone who is 58 he has less top level experience than the likes of Alonso and De Zerbi

He talks well and plays exciting stuff but he isn't good enough, and given his age now I doubt he is going to adapt in how he approaches things either, so frankly I don't think he will ever be good enough

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: January 27, 2024, 05:43:57 pm »
He had one top 4 finish in the 3 full seasons he was here, got to no finals, was utterly awful in the CL in that one season he got in (and not great in the Europa), not really sure he did that good  ;D

Got closer to winning the league than any of his immediate predecessors.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: January 27, 2024, 05:44:08 pm »
Campaign to bring him back them Jill

Unlike you, I will trust in the system.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: January 27, 2024, 05:45:14 pm »
Unlike you, I will trust in the system.

;D  Good luck

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: January 27, 2024, 05:45:42 pm »
;D  Good luck

So who would be your choice mate? You're in here shitting on evreyones opinions.  ;D

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: January 27, 2024, 05:46:19 pm »

Some seem to want us to go nowhere now.

Offline AnfieldRD19

• Not worried at all about his manbuddy.
  • Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #431 on: January 27, 2024, 05:47:31 pm »
My analysis of watching 15 minutes of Leverkusen is that they're very possession based and really try to control the game. I'd imagine our current squad would need to adjust to that style but Xabi does seem to be very flexible tactically. I remember reading last year they were more counter attacking.

De Zerbi's system seems to be more similar to our current counter pressing set up.

I'd be fine with either one to be honest.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: January 27, 2024, 05:48:22 pm »
Some seem to want us to go nowhere now.

Weird isn't it. Some of the suggestions are akin to us selling Alisson and then deciding because no one is as good as him that we should just sign De Gea and accept that we'll be worse off for it.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #433 on: January 27, 2024, 05:48:29 pm »
 ;D

I know, it's okay to be worried but if you're shitting on evreyone elses take and offering none of your own, I'll call you out on that shit.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: January 27, 2024, 05:49:20 pm »
He isn't. He isn't good enough to win a league with us. I like him but he is below our level.

You seem to want an experienced manager but all the experiences managers are proven experience below our level.

Emery is a good manager to top 4 and maybe winning a cup, but he isn't going to win you a league

Spalletti has a managerial record that looks similar to Raneri's although his napoli side played great football (but also fell off pretty severely in the second half of the season)

Hansi Flick won at Bayern but with the best side in the league and perhaps the world at the time, he didn't look massively convincing as a manager, more good as a coach. And then absolutely floundered as Germany manager

You are ruling out the likes of Alonso and De Zerbi because "They won fuck all" put the talent is clearly there, and instead go for an old head who we know isn't good enough but hey his CV is padded.

I am not ruling out Alonso and De Zerbi. They are candidates and if anything we probably need a guy who can operate within a structure more than wanting to put their stamp on things. In that regard those are probably the better choice.

Thing is, top four and a cup isnt exactly bad is it?

Emery to me seems a decent choice because he is proven to a level and has experience to go with it. But in this situation with no outstanding candidate I think the likes of Alonso and De Zerbi are of course possible candidates.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 05:51:01 pm by killer-heels »

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #435 on: January 27, 2024, 05:49:32 pm »
Just watching Leverkusen.

Please let's get Wirtz as well.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #436 on: January 27, 2024, 05:50:52 pm »
You're not rulling anyone out but you offer none of your own opinions too Killer. Just love shitting on other peoples takes.  ;D

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #437 on: January 27, 2024, 05:51:58 pm »
Bayern Leverkusen 250 passes in the opening 19 minutes.  :o

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: January 27, 2024, 05:52:11 pm »

I think the best way to describe Rodgers is that he was a good tactical manager who had a few significant personal flaws. His man management skills was always considered lacking, he never had a good moral standing in the team (had an affair with a club employee and got a divorce out of it), gaffes at press conferences, he just wasn’t a manager you would want to support to the end.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: January 27, 2024, 05:52:24 pm »
You're not rulling anyone out but you offer none of your own opinions too Killer. Just love shitting on other peoples takes.  ;D

Ive said that Emery has experience, has won stuff, knows the league now, may have even learned a thing of following a legendary manager and the mistakes he made.