Author Topic: West Ham United vs Liverpool (Premier League) - 12:30, Saturday 27th April  (Read 958 times)

Online jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
West Ham United vs Liverpool

12:30, Saturday 27th April
London Stadium, London
Premier League
Referee: Anthony Taylor

West Ham United host Liverpool this Saturday afternoon, as the Premier League season heads into its final weeks. These final weeks appear to promise less for clubs who just a few weeks ago harboured hopes of Europa qualification and of further silverware & titles. The Hammers have won just one of their previous seven league matches (also dropping out of the Europa League to Xabi Alonso’s Bayer Leverkusen at the quarter-final stage) – they head a tight midfield pack, but prospects of Europa Conference qualification appear to be fading quickly. The Reds have dropped out of the FA Cup and Europa League in the last month or so, and have let eight points in their last four matches slip – they’ve lost ‘control’ of the Premier League, and will almost-certainly require a perfect finish alongside significant slip-ups from Arsenal & Manchester City if this season is yet to conclude as dramatically as many hoped. Also providing a sense of finality around this fixture is the departure from their respective clubs of both David Moyes and Jurgen Klopp, 7th & 2nd longest-serving managers in the English Football League, respectively. For West Ham fans, Moyes’ departure is a welcome step into a new chapter despite some real highs during recent seasons whilst, for Liverpool supports, Klopp’s departure really does represent an awkward & tentative step into an unknown future: both can leave their clubs with a sense of pride.

The sides last met at the London Stadium a year ago to today, with both sides having endured difficult seasons up to that point. The hosts had dropped into the relegation zone on a couple of occasions since a very poor start to the campaign, but took ten points from five matches prior to Liverpool’s – they sat 13th, with a six-point margin to the drop-zone and a game in hand. Jurgen Klopp’s side had struggled to sustain decent runs of form all season and went into the fixture having taken just two wins in their previous six – they sat nine points adrift of the top four, in 7th position. Lucas Paquetá opened the scoring with an excellent strike early on for David Moyes’ side, but Cody Gakpo levelled matters from distance within minutes and the sides were tied at half-time. Following a disallowed Jared Bowen goal in the second half, Joel Matip powered home a header from a corner midway through the second half to claim the points (despite a West Ham penalty claim later in the match). Moyes’ side lost four and won two of their remaining fixtures, ultimately finishing six points clear of relegation in 14th whilst also winning the Europa Conference League. Visiting Liverpool remained unbeaten until the end of the campaign, but fell short of Champions League qualification by four points.

The latest chapter of West Ham United’s history can reasonably considered to begin in the summer or 2018. West Ham had been back in the Premier League (following a single-season absence) for six seasons at that stage, achieving consistent mid-table finishes between 7th & 13th under Sam Allardyce, Slaven Bilic, and David Moyes but there was a sense of wanting to push on beyond this. Former Villarreal, Real Madrid, and Manchester City manager, Manuel Pellegrini was appointed as the man to steer the Hammers towards consistent top-half finishes and the lure of European football. Pellegrini’s first season went pretty well, with West Ham finishing 10th, but – after a decent start – they fell away badly during the second campaign and the Chilean was dismissed at the halfway stage with West Ham just a point outside of the relegation zone in 17th. The Hammers turned to David Moyes to avert their slide to the drop – something that had worked out for them two years previous, though they opted not to extend Moyes’ tenure at that stage.

A decent late-season run saw West Ham avoid relegation by five points at the end of that 2019-20, and the club were inclined to show Moyes some loyalty by that stage. The aim of kicking-on from 2018 seemed to have fallen flat by that stage, but the period that has followed has comfortably represented West Ham’s best period since at least the days of Harry Redknapp’s talented young squad at the turn of the century and is up their with their best spells ever. Moyes’s side finished 6th in 2021, qualifying for a Europa League that the reached a semi-final of (losing 3-1 on aggregate to eventual-winners Eintracht Frankfurt) whilst also finishing 7th in 2022. A poor league campaign through 2022-23 saw West Ham finish in lowly 14th (six points clear of the drop), but they’d qualified for the Europa Conference in 2022  and would go on to win the competition, beating Fiorentina 2-1 in the final to add another European trophy alongside their 1964-65 European Cup Winners’ Cup.

West Ham have been decent this seasons, comfortably surpassing last season’s points tally with four games still to play and still with an outside chance (Manchester United have a five point advantage and a game in hand) of qualifying for the Europa Conference. Despite the highs of their European adventures, however, there’s perhaps a sense of frustration at a lack of sustained form in the league (beyond a strong November & December of 2023) that could see them considered as regular competitors for the Europa League and Conference positions rather than being outsiders for the positions. As such, David Moyes is almost certain to depart when his contract expires in the summer and a new chapter begins with familiar aims. At the time of writing, Julien Lopetegui appears front-runner for the role, with Graham Potter, Michael Carrick, Paulo Fonseca, and Hansi Flick’s names also linked.

Both clubs are in need of an end of season pick-me-up after a disappointing period since the international break, and particularly with the additional contexts surrounding their departing managers. West Ham will be up for the fight, having observed Liverpool’s recent form at both ends of the pitch – European qualification remains unlikely but possible, but points that are difficult to bank on against Liverpool and Chelsea will be key to keeping those hopes alive. Liverpool supports and Jurgen Klopp alike were optimistic about the return from injury of a number of senior members of the squad recently, but the timing has coincided with a run of poor form at both ends of the pitch – the defensive appears disjointed & leaky, whilst the forwards are misfiring. Liverpool will almost certainly need a perfect end to their season if any surprises remain in store, but recent form has meant that they also need to rely on favours in matches featuring Arsenal and Manchester City – doing their job and maintaining the pressure in advance of the others’ fixtures this weekend is really the only way to go about it.
« Last Edit: Today at 12:48:03 pm by jackh »

Offline LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
If we turn up we will smash these.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
This would be an awkward fixture in any circumstances. Maybe the derby performance will be the kick up the arse we need to just turn up here and get the 3 points that basically lock us into third place and then we can really get on the beach for the last 3 games.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
A response is needed after that derby performance, but West Ham are in a similar boat after getting battered by Palace. I'd expect both teams will be wanting to put on a performance.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I predict we pummel the crap out of West Ham. I’d not want to be a West Ham supporter for this one
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Good opening post. Just win Reds.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Just win.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
Surprised at how short we are with the bookies for this, though obviously they have their nightmares too but will be a tough game, hopefully we are at least bothered and not sulking

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
They have some excellent players in theattacking third, and under a better manager they'll do well.

Jarrod Bowen, Lucas Paqueta & Mohamed Kudus wouldn't look out of place in our own squad. A 12.30pm kick-off away from home.. I'm not exactly confident.
FAME makes a man take things over

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
They have some excellent players in theattacking third, and under a better manager they'll do well.

Jarrod Bowen, Lucas Paqueta & Mohamed Kudus wouldn't look out of place in our own squad. A 12.30pm kick-off away from home.. I'm not exactly confident.

Me neither but the pressure is off for this season if we draw it makes no difference to anything.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
I'm actually going to this, albeit not in the home end. We've definitely got the capability, it's just the desire side. The big danger from them is going to be set pieces, hopefully we can deal with them more effectively than in the week.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Shit Ground. Shit City. Shit club. Shit Manager. Shit Players. Shit. Shit and more Shit.

Let's beat these Reds.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Can't say I'm massively bothered by any of the last four bar Wolves, which is hopefully a nice day and send off for Klopp. I don't think we'll surrender 3rd place even if we lost every game, which I doubt happens anyway.

I would make changes for this. Danns should play IMO. Would be amazed if Quansah didn't play either, he deserves it. Bring Elliott in from the start too. Beyond that, a bit meh on everything else at the minute.

I think the players need to turn up and win this one. They've let the manager down in the last weeks of his tenure and unless they want a crap response from the crowd in the last two home matches they'd better perform here.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Klopp: "I'm not in the mood to give up and wave a white flag."
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline joezydudek

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
A bit worried that they're basically Everton with better players, but hopefully we see a much improved performance.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
A bit worried that they're basically Everton with better players, but hopefully we see a much improved performance.

They are but they aren’t our local rivals who always thunder into challenges at Goodison.

You never know what you are going to get from West Ham they can be really dangerous or hopefully they play how they did against Arsenal at home !

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
We will win 8-0.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online Father Ted

• Legacy Fan
Play the kids.

Offline dirkster

• Legacy Fan
  • Dirk Kuyt. Working Class hero
Klopp: "I'm not in the mood to give up and wave a white flag."
Is the right reaction. Neither should we as fans.

Offline joezydudek

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
They are but they aren’t our local rivals who always thunder into challenges at Goodison.

You never know what you are going to get from West Ham they can be really dangerous or hopefully they play how they did against Arsenal at home !

Fair point and you're quite right about their inconsistencies!

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
Come on Redmen!!
Thanks Jack, difficult op to do! Am worried that Antonio is bigger and stronger than Calvert Lewis and these love a far post corner!
Guess we see a team closer to the one vs Fulham with maybe Mo starting. Just got to play well and control the game, they are brittle but have good players. No idea what to expect!
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
 Just win and get champions league secured.

Gakpo Nunez Diaz front 3 (or Danns).

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
This was a must win game.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Klopp was really low in the press conference today. Called the last game the most disappointed he has been after a game during his time here.

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
Klopp was really low in the press conference today. Called the last game the most disappointed he has been after a game during his time here.

Can understand that, players seem to have given up. I think Fulham was fine as we scored first