Author Topic: Thieving Scousers?  (Read 8037 times)

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
Thieving Scousers?
« on: May 4, 2005, 07:10:42 pm »
Parked on West Derby Road last night at around 6pm, before walking down to the match.

Accidentally left the driver's side window of my (admittedly shit) car wide open (as in all the way down).

Came back to the car about 4 and a half hours later. Nothing missing. Bonus.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline 7Dalglish

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Thieving Scousers?
« Reply #1 on: May 4, 2005, 07:11:46 pm »
was there anything worth taking?

Offline Bootle_Danny

• No fireworks, no darts
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: May 4, 2005, 07:12:11 pm »
Liar.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: May 4, 2005, 07:14:34 pm »
Liar.

;D

True story. Nothing much worth taking, but nobody had even bothered looking. And they could have easily taken the car, as I'd somehow forgotten to put the crook lock on.

Offline 7Dalglish

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: May 4, 2005, 07:19:10 pm »
that's the beauty of having an 'admittedly shit' car with not much worth taking inside then :D

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: May 4, 2005, 07:23:57 pm »
that's the beauty of having an 'admittedly shit' car with not much worth taking inside then :D

:wave

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: May 4, 2005, 07:27:59 pm »

Robbed the CL Final off Jose though. Millions of witnesses...

:D

87:13

Offline ttnbd

• RAWK Chief Financial Officer
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #7 on: May 4, 2005, 07:49:57 pm »
;D

but nobody had even bothered looking.

Maybe they did but thought no point taking it any further :P
So all say thanks to the Shanks

He never walked alone

Lets sing our song for all the world

From this his Liverpool home

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 4, 2005, 08:03:20 pm »
Keep thefts from cars Scouse  8)
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline daddymac

• THE IGOR BISCAN FANCLUB
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 4, 2005, 08:09:59 pm »
Babel's clincher was the absolute jizz on the tits.

Offline daddymac

• THE IGOR BISCAN FANCLUB
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: May 4, 2005, 08:10:27 pm »
was there anything worth taking?

a fine selection of throat pastilles
Babel's clincher was the absolute jizz on the tits.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: May 4, 2005, 08:12:52 pm »
a fine selection of throat pastilles

And a stuffed lobster, iPod charger, selection of cassettes and a crook lock (plus a scarf and a jacket). What thief could resist? ;D

The serious point I was making, though, was that no-one had even gone through the glove box or anything. I was chuffed!

Offline Andy.

• Kopite
« Reply #12 on: May 4, 2005, 08:34:43 pm »
Accidentally left the driver's side window of my (admittedly shit) car wide open (as in all the way down).
There's yer problem.
You should have made it a challenge, by fitting all kinds of locks, alarms and tiny ninja security dudes to protect yer car.
Then it would have been had off...

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: May 4, 2005, 08:35:23 pm »
There's yer problem.
You should have made it a challenge, by fitting all kinds of locks, alarms and tiny ninja security dudes to protect yer car.
Then it would have been had off...

:lmao

Offline 7Dalglish

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: May 4, 2005, 08:38:22 pm »
Liverpool thieves have a bit more about them though, they had already stolen the telly and were sitting down waiting for the game to start in an old women's house they had just turned over.

Offline Walton_Gary

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: May 4, 2005, 08:38:33 pm »
So them lads do actually 'mind your car', and theres me thinking they went home for an hour and a half

Pheeny

« Reply #16 on: May 4, 2005, 08:54:55 pm »
Robbed the CL Final off Jose though. Millions of witnesses...

:D

twat.I've got beer on my screen now.

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #17 on: January 5, 2018, 11:21:34 am »
Genuine question from an OOT, hell even OOC here lads and lasses:

Is there any truth to the reputation of scousers or is it just a derogatory term used by prejudice bigots in England?

I'd appreciate a link to an article or even more an explanation here if possible * looking at Imp here...* ;D

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 5, 2018, 11:43:03 am »
It's a stereotype that many people believe, Jack Straw once said something about "scousers always being up to something", I blame Bread and shit TV like that. When I went to London to study (early 80's) I was amazed how apparently intelligent people believed the shit they read. I brought my housemate up from Oxford and he was amazed at the nice areas, houses etc. He really thought that Liverpool was a complete hell hole as that was what he had been conditioned to think.

We certainly have criminal families going back generations, indeed I am married into one very well known family. There are also areas where it is simply accepted as norm to be criminally minded and is seen as a career move rather like doing an apprenticeship before moving on when you get more experience. You see it all the time in the local media after every shooting, a wall of silence, sometimes it is fear but more often than not its just not in a lot of people's nature to help the police in any way.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #19 on: January 5, 2018, 12:17:07 pm »
Liverpool has crime issues as does every largely working class, economically deprived city...  but it's long been singled out and blighted with this negative stereotype, which Ive always viewed as pure bigotry bordering on sublimated racism.......its exactly the type of 'acceptable' scapegoating / dehumanising characterisation that enabled and contributed to the smear tactics and lies following Hillsborough ....and which still - almost 30 years later - makes professional police officers and the public alike think its perfectly ok to make comments like this: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/have-started-blaming-police-yet-11791309
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #20 on: January 5, 2018, 12:21:29 pm »
Liverpool has crime issues as does every largely working class, economically deprived city...  but it's long been singled out and blighted with this negative stereotype, which Ive always viewed as pure bigotry bordering on sublimated racism.......its exactly the type of 'acceptable' scapegoating / dehumanising characterisation that enabled and contributed to the smear tactics and lies following Hillsborough ....and which still - almost 30 years later - makes professional police officers and the public alike think its perfectly ok to make comments like this: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/have-started-blaming-police-yet-11791309

Agree completely.

In some respects its the same as Cockneys. On one hand you have articulate and gobby crooks, on the other hand you have gibbering Manc and droning Brummie crooks who no one can understand (even the Peaky Blinders have Romany roots) so who makes TV dramas about them.

But Bread was a load of shite.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 5, 2018, 12:27:07 pm »
I'm curious to see what level of media attention that thieving c*nt who robbed off the M.E.N Arena victims would have got if he was a Scouser.

He's been rightly vilified but cant help thinking what would have happened if the homeless guy in question was a Scouser. Multiple the condemnation x 2 or x 3 i'd say.

« Last Edit: January 5, 2018, 12:30:27 pm by Buck Pete »

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #22 on: January 5, 2018, 12:37:51 pm »
The turning point was Militant taking over the council. That prompted a spate of tabloid stories about the less savoury side of Liverpool. Of course this coincided with the start of the period of Tory managed decline - so many people were absolutely desperate.

Throw in the edgier stories of Brookside that made the long running soaps looks staid, add a dash of Harry Enfield's scousers and you have a perfect storm.

The image of archetypal scousers went from the Beatles, Ken Dodd and Jimmy Tarbuck to Jimmy Corkhill, Yosser Hughes or Joey from Bread in a very short space of time.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 5, 2018, 01:27:05 pm »
Being from Wales, there was definitely a stereotype of scousers being criminals when I was growing up in the 80s.  Some of my family was from Merseyside though, so we never believed it.  There were always jokes going around about scousers and crime.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #24 on: January 5, 2018, 02:47:33 pm »
Think it's just one of those myths that's been passed around so often that a lot of people now genuinely believe it.

I live in Cornwall and the equivalent here is that everyone is an inbred, when in actual fact I have a mate who's in a normal relationship.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 5, 2018, 02:54:58 pm »
Ross " The Diamond" Barkley just had Everton off for £20 million.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: January 5, 2018, 03:15:39 pm »
Ross " The Diamond" Barkley just had Everton off for £20 million.

:wellin

The robbing get

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: January 5, 2018, 03:19:46 pm »
Think it's just one of those myths that's been passed around so often that a lot of people now genuinely believe it.

I live in Cornwall and the equivalent here is that everyone is an inbred, when in actual fact I have a mate who's in a normal relationship.

;D ;D ;D
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 5, 2018, 03:27:39 pm »

;D

We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #29 on: January 5, 2018, 03:38:50 pm »
Genuine question from an OOT, hell even OOC here lads and lasses:

Is there any truth to the reputation of scousers or is it just a derogatory term used by prejudice bigots in England?

I'd appreciate a link to an article or even more an explanation here if possible * looking at Imp here...* ;D

In England and in the UK stereotypes and jokes/insults about a particular stereotype is something that you become used to very quickly. Scousers are thieves, Mancunians are inbred and shag their sisters (East Anglian residents apply here also), Geordies just love to get pissed, take their tops off and be belligerent, the Welsh regularly have sex with sheep, Scots are never sober, there isn't a white person in the whole Midland region, etc etc etc.

Being from Liverpool you get used to the thieving jibe very quickly. I must admit that most of the time it is said in jest and when venturing out of Liverpool semi-regularly in recent years people have always been decent and some actually mildly fascinated that there was a Scouser on the scene. I speak from a very, very personal perspective here when I say that I DO appreciate and understand why some people from the city resort and resorted to criminal behaviour but then we'd have to go into political and social discourse and with the derby lurking, I just cant be arsed right now. But that is also true for many other cities, not just our own.

The slandering about thieving does sometimes have dark and sinister undertones, especially from people who should know better, but that particular stereotype is something I doubt will ever go away. Liverpool as a city isn't like any other city in the UK and I say that for good and for bad. The city has the most generous inhabitants around (considering most people are not in any position of considerable wealth) and while the general sense of community within the UK in the year 2018 is slowly eroding I see from my own eyes that in Liverpool it is still very strong in some cases.

The statistics tell a different story to the stereotype about thieving, at least in comparison to other major cities per capita. Liverpool has great parts, not so great parts and places you want to avoid. Just like any other city.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #30 on: January 5, 2018, 03:48:39 pm »

That's Todmorden

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #31 on: January 5, 2018, 03:57:53 pm »
 I grew up just outside Liverpool but the vast majority of my family are from the city and they're perfectly happy to play up to the cheeky, mooching Scouser stereotype with other Scousers and people they consider mates. It's when it comes from non-Scousers that it gets a bit weary. In my experience it's the 'self pity' tag that really grates rather than the thieving aspect because of the obvious connotations. As other posters have said, 'thieving scousers' is pretty similar to 'sister fingering Manc scruffs,' a shout I'm sure many of us have thrown out in the past!

Saying that, we all used to have Christmas round my uncle's when I was a kid. There'd end up being thirty odd people there and before Christmas lunch, all the blokes would compare what they'd nicked from various service/petrol stations on the way over... The maddest object that had been robbed would then act as a free pass for getting leathered and not helping out all day  ;D
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #32 on: January 5, 2018, 04:44:46 pm »
In my experience it's the 'self pity' tag that really grates rather than the thieving aspect because of the obvious connotations.

Absolutely.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #33 on: January 5, 2018, 05:10:11 pm »
If anybody bellend comes up with that shit joke here is what you say.

Bellend - What do you call a Scouser in a suit ?

You - A Beatle.

Game , set and match !
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 5, 2018, 05:13:18 pm »
Being from Wales, there was definitely a stereotype of scousers being criminals when I was growing up in the 80s.  Some of my family was from Merseyside though, so we never believed it.  There were always jokes going around about scousers and crime.

Didn't we rob your water ?

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #35 on: January 5, 2018, 05:29:49 pm »
If anybody bellend comes up with that shit joke here is what you say.

Bellend - What do you call a Scouser in a suit ?

You - A Beatle.

Game , set and match !

love it....cant wait for some c*nt to ask me that now  ;D
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline kopite.keith

• Offical OAP
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: January 5, 2018, 06:12:14 pm »
Jack Straw talked of people from Liverpool "always up to something", one of Thatcher's ministers spoke of the "managed decline" of the city. Liverpool has always been a working class city on the left of the political spectrum and the resistance to Thatcher's government, led by the council, set it up as a target. The national media set out on a mission to destroy the city by writing all kinds of crap and discrediting it at every opportunity, complaining about it only led to "moaning scouser" jibes. I think 2008's European Capital of Culture was a turning point in the city's reputation when many visitors saw for themselves that like everywhere else it has good and bad and that it's mostly good. In essence the city was smeared for nothing more than political reasons.
I no longer live in the city but not too far away, I was born there and spent most of my childhood there, my accent gives me away and like most I've listened to inane drivel from those who chose to believe the media lies.

PS. I once went to the match and left my car unlocked, came back and nothing had been touched. 🙂
« Last Edit: January 5, 2018, 06:15:51 pm by kopite.keith.cheggers.remembered.this.xmas. »
When in Rome...

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 5, 2018, 06:31:44 pm »
love it....cant wait for some c*nt to ask me that now  ;D

It popped up in my head a few days ago. Thank fuck for mind ramblings eh . 

;D

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: January 5, 2018, 06:40:30 pm »
I grew up outside of Liverpool and many years ago whilst I was secretary of the local footy team we had a few lads playing for us from Bootle. 

One weekend we'd arranged to meet up with them at the Netherton Arms (is that still there?) for a night out and as we parked up a few kids appeared asking if we wanted the car looking after for 50p [emoji16]  Not understanding this phenomena we told them where to get off and went inside.  We were straight back out with our 50p when we realised what the consequences were for not paying up.

For those who know the area, I grew up in what's still considered the posh part of West Lancs so our stereotypes were those wanna be Scousers from Burscough and Skem rather than actual Scousers who never take themselves seriously, rip the piss out of each daily but love their city uncondionally and will defend it and it's inhabitants vehemently, with pride and with honour.

Scousers make the best and most loyal friends you're ever likely to have.

To everyone else they're thieving little scallies [emoji8][emoji8][emoji16]

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: January 5, 2018, 07:25:44 pm »
I grew up outside of Liverpool and many years ago whilst I was secretary of the local footy team we had a few lads playing for us from Bootle. 

One weekend we'd arranged to meet up with them at the Netherton Arms (is that still there?) for a night out and as we parked up a few kids appeared asking if we wanted the car looking after for 50p [emoji16]  Not understanding this phenomena we told them where to get off and went inside.  We were straight back out with our 50p when we realised what the consequences were for not paying up.

For those who know the area, I grew up in what's still considered the posh part of West Lancs so our stereotypes were those wanna be Scousers from Burscough and Skem rather than actual Scousers who never take themselves seriously, rip the piss out of each daily but love their city uncondionally and will defend it and it's inhabitants vehemently, with pride and with honour.

Scousers make the best and most loyal friends you're ever likely to have.

To everyone else they're thieving little scallies [emoji8][emoji8][emoji16]

Posh part of West Lancs, are you talking about Aughton?
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA