Author Topic: Lazar Markovic  (Read 145516 times)

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
Re: Lazar Markovic
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2016, 11:43:28 am »
I didn't follow him elsewhere, just commenting on what I have seen. Nothing to suggest at all that he has a future. Ibe had more chance of staying, based on what he did, and we sold him.

I think the point is that you probably need to give any player, let alone a young one from a different country more than 1 season to prove himself, especially when the side is performing badly.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2016, 11:46:15 am »
I didn't follow him elsewhere, just commenting on what I have seen. Nothing to suggest at all that he has a future. Ibe had more chance of staying, based on what he did, and we sold him.

Klopp got a proper look at Ibe he hasn't Markovic yet.

Offline Gerry83

• Meff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Used to be Jeff, too much crystal
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2016, 11:47:37 am »
Unless we get an offer hes here like it or not. I'd love to see him out on loan to another PL side. I dont think hes good enough at this point in time for what we need. I dont think hes going to start many games with the current options we have up top.

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2016, 11:49:53 am »
Unless we get an offer hes here like it or not. I'd love to see him out on loan to another PL side. I dont think hes good enough at this point in time for what we need. I dont think hes going to start many games with the current options we have up top.

Don't see the point in loaning him out, Klopp needs to work with him & decide whether or not he likes what he sees

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2016, 11:56:47 am »
Couldn't find an open thread on him. So what's the opinions on him? Seems an enigma. Has the traits to fit under Klopp, and could be useful because of his versatility too, but doesn't seem to have that much desire. Talent is undoubtedly there though. I've always liked him but I fear he'll be sold.

Can't believe the cheek of Lazar, signing on at RAWK to find out what people think of him.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline underdog

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2016, 12:03:14 pm »
We have a manager who was employed for his ability to train decent players in to good players, I can't see any sense in getting rid of Markovic before January.

He has so many attributes to be good player, let's see if the manager can help him round out his game and be of use to us, he cost us a lot of money and came with a big reputation, I'd like to see him given half a season at least.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 12:21:27 pm by underdog »

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2016, 12:11:10 pm »
We have a manager who was employed for his ability to train decent players in to good players, I can't see any sense in getting rid of Markovic before January.

He has so many attributes to good player, let's see if the manager can help him round put his game and be of nude to us, he cost us a lot of money and came with a big reputation, I'd like to see him given half a season at least.

Yep that's how I see it too, give him a chance and see what Klopp thinks of him.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline Tobez

• Kopite
  • We all Live r pool
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2016, 12:15:48 pm »

He has so many attributes to good player, let's see if the manager can help him round put his game and be of nude to us, he cost us a lot of money and came with a big reputation, I'd like to see him given half a season at least.

Not sure that's legal during a football match, mate.

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2016, 12:20:32 pm »
Has skill, lacks desire. He is the most Smicer player ever.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline underdog

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2016, 12:22:54 pm »
Not sure that's legal during a football match, mate.

Sorry posting from my phone in a rush :D

I think the player is lacking confidence after being thrown under a bus by Rogers and then having injury problems while on loan.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2016, 12:32:14 pm »

He has so many attributes to be good player, let's see if the manager can help him round out his game and be of use to us, he cost us a lot of money and came with a big reputation, I'd like to see him given half a season at least.

What are the attributes he has to be good enough for us?
I'm genuinely asking because I can't think of any .... I'm not saying he cant make it as a professional player but what does he do well enough / what attributes does he have to make him a top 6 level PL player?

(Or to asks the question another way - if he didn't play for us and you were scouting him - what attributes would make you think we should sign him?)

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2016, 12:33:53 pm »
I don't know why exactly (besides our clubs success) but I really want him to succeed at LFC, I honestly mean that, I find him quite an interesting player, if it happens or not will be seen and Klopp knows best but I hope he turns out to be a beast.

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You feed beefburgers to swans!
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2016, 12:37:26 pm »
I don't know why exactly (besides our clubs success) but I really want him to succeed at LFC, I honestly mean that, I find him quite an interesting player, if it happens or not will be seen and Klopp knows best but I hope he turns out to be a beast.

Me too. I also think that if the options are for him to stay (and perhaps not play much) or go out on loan, I'd still rather he stuck around.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2016, 12:52:39 pm »
Melissa Reddy just said we're open to offers & that Sporting are interested.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2016, 12:55:40 pm »
Even though we don't have Europe, it'd be stupid to cut the squad so thin that we can't handle injury problems. 2/3 years ago we did that, we nearly won the league but we were extremely lucky that key players (with the exception of Sturridge) were nearly always available. Otherwise we would've had to rely on Aspas more often.

We only had Ibe as a proper winger last season. No where near enough. Yes, we got Mane, but then what happens if he's injured. Back to zero wingers again? It's obvious we need at least two. If we keep cutting, then it's more about saving wages which is strange when we're rolling with cash.

No Europe. We still need a squad for 3 competitions.
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2016, 01:00:14 pm »
Even though we don't have Europe, it'd be stupid to cut the squad so thin that we can't handle injury problems. 2/3 years ago we did that, we nearly won the league but we were extremely lucky that key players (with the exception of Sturridge) were nearly always available. Otherwise we would've had to rely on Aspas more often.

We only had Ibe as a proper winger last season. No where near enough. Yes, we got Mane, but then what happens if he's injured. Back to zero wingers again? It's obvious we need at least two. If we keep cutting, then it's more about saving wages which is strange when we're rolling with cash.

No Europe. We still need a squad for 3 competitions.

So sell this guy, loan out Ojo, and buy someone good.

It all sounds so simple because it is. If the club had big ambitions of course.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2016, 01:00:33 pm »
Melissa Reddy just said we're open to offers & that Sporting are interested.

This line is interesting in her article

"However, he has looked sharp at Melwood and if Liverpool had European commitments in 2016-17, the winger would have been part of Klopp’s plans."

Seems like if there is a chance of getting a decent amount of what we spent back we'd entertain it, but could definitely see him sticking about if not. They obviously see something there.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2016, 01:12:56 pm »
Not sure about him. Would love to see him roadrunner a couple of defenders as I've not seen this pace everyone talking about. He was played alot out of position so hopefully he gets a shot in his position and doe the busibess

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2016, 01:21:18 pm »
Wish I could be a fly on the wall of Klopp's office..

Would think that Marko would be the perfect guy to come back into our squad and be given a chance this season....he's a winger, young, has pace  and has enough technical ability to work with.
But if we are open to offers for him it's baffling to me, unless there really are problems that we are not aware of....mental or whatever

Is a shame if he goes the way of Suso and the rest
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2016, 01:33:05 pm »
This line is interesting in her article

"However, he has looked sharp at Melwood and if Liverpool had European commitments in 2016-17, the winger would have been part of Klopp’s plans."

Seems like if there is a chance of getting a decent amount of what we spent back we'd entertain it, but could definitely see him sticking about if not. They obviously see something there.

A typical slow news day article.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2016, 01:43:18 pm »
Wish I could be a fly on the wall of Klopp's office..

Would think that Marko would be the perfect guy to come back into our squad and be given a chance this season....he's a winger, young, has pace  and has enough technical ability to work with.
But if we are open to offers for him it's baffling to me, unless there really are problems that we are not aware of....mental or whatever

Is a shame if he goes the way of Suso and the rest

It's not so strange that he may be off. This will be Klopp's first full season. His focus is on the core of the side. Markovic is not part of it. We have Mane, Lallana, Coutinho, Milner and Ojo for the flanks. Who does Markovic replace?

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2016, 01:43:27 pm »
A typical slow news day article.

Indeed, and seems to be more based on the info that came out of somewhere in Europe about Sporting being keen.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2016, 01:45:22 pm »
Its pretty simple. Sell him & get a better winger. Bellarabi,Brandt, & even Sissoko(if Newcastle powered price) would be better options

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2016, 01:54:38 pm »
Its pretty simple. Sell him & get a better winger. Bellarabi,Brandt, & even Sissoko(if Newcastle powered price) would be better options

If we're open to offers because we don't have a lot of games this season, why would we spend big on a replacement bench warmer?

Just out of curiosity, I took a look at his stats (I know) for the 2014/15 season and he doesn't look like he had the terrible year some are suggesting, though admittedly he played a fair bit less so that could skew things.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2016, 02:10:59 pm »

This would be one of the worst things we could do.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2016, 02:12:10 pm »
No issues with him as a squad option but if he wants to play regularly then a move elsewhere would probably be for the best.

We've got good options ahead of him in the pecking order as well as Ojo who was developing nicely and playing well for Klopp at the back end of last season.  Kent is really staking a claim in pre-season too so we're not short in that position if Markovic were to go.

Offline The Kings Army

• Anny Roader
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2016, 02:17:41 pm »
He has all the tools to be a brilliant player, he just seems to lack an identity right now. Totally comfortable with the ball at his feet, lightning speed and can beat a player no problem, but doesn't seem to have the confidence to do it. He just seems terrified of making a mistake.

If he can learn from mane who seems to want to run at players every time he gets the ball it may be the key to unlocking his potential. I rate him but it's a very Jordan Ibe type problem at the minute. He came with the promise of getting at defenders and being direct and then all of a sudden  stopped doing it and started playing safe, which stunts our attacking play and doesn't suit Klopps direct counter attacking style of play at all.

Hopefully he sees what happened to Ibe and changes things
There's high, and then there's high, and to get really high--i mean so high that you can walk on the water, that high--  that's where i'm going"
George Harrison

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2016, 03:44:24 pm »
It's not so strange that he may be off. This will be Klopp's first full season. His focus is on the core of the side. Markovic is not part of it. We have Mane, Lallana, Coutinho, Milner and Ojo for the flanks. Who does Markovic replace?

Maybe he won't replace any of those instantly.....but surely with the potential he was touted as having and us securing one of the finest football coaches in the world we'd hold on to him atleast for a season?

I dunno. To me it seems odd
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2016, 03:46:23 pm »

If he is really doing well in training as Melissa suggests, that would be a dumb thing to do.

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2016, 03:49:50 pm »
Still think there's a player in there and hope he stays for at least this season.

He needs to work on quite a few things though. Put him on an Origi steak diet. He needs to improve his upper body strength:- he gets knocked off the ball way too easily and hopefully Klopp will give him the confidence he needs to start taking on a few players and making use of that blistering pace he's got.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2016, 04:18:21 pm »
Maybe he won't replace any of those instantly.....but surely with the potential he was touted as having and us securing one of the finest football coaches in the world we'd hold on to him atleast for a season?

I dunno. To me it seems odd

We'll see. I think we have had a forgiving mentality for too long. I welcome what seems to be a tougher approach. If we opt to keep Markovic, he needs to play and he needs to contribute in line with what we can expect from a first team player.

If we look at the summer so far we have parted with Canos, Ibe, Skrtel, Toure and we're searching for deals for Alberto, Benteke and Balotelli. But if we stop there, that should bring us 60M or so. Add a decent fee for Markovic, say 10M+. Now for the really interesting thing - in what way would all those departures weaken our first eleven? Our 11+7 that we bring to a game? Not at all is my answer. This is not Markovic' fault, it's the fault of previous mistakes by us. Still, he is part of a large group of players, worth 70M+, that has had very little impact. We can find a reason to keep each of those players, but why when they aren't all that important to us? Better to sell.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2016, 04:21:42 pm »
I reckon markovic is going to stay too. him, origi and mane seem to be the only ones in the attacking areas with genuine pace. though as some of you say, he does look like he has the Ojo about him, looks lethargic, but is actually quite dynamic when the ball is at his feet.

did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2016, 04:22:55 pm »

... and Ryan Kent, who is making far more of his opportunities in these friendlies than Markovic.

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2016, 04:49:38 pm »
He has all the tools to be a brilliant player, he just seems to lack an identity right now. Totally comfortable with the ball at his feet, lightning speed and can beat a player no problem, but doesn't seem to have the confidence to do it. He just seems terrified of making a mistake.

If he can learn from mane who seems to want to run at players every time he gets the ball it may be the key to unlocking his potential. I rate him but it's a very Jordan Ibe type problem at the minute. He came with the promise of getting at defenders and being direct and then all of a sudden  stopped doing it and started playing safe, which stunts our attacking play and doesn't suit Klopps direct counter attacking style of play at all.

Hopefully he sees what happened to Ibe and changes things
I'm not sure if that's something you can teach. His natural instinct is to carry the ball into space and then at the point when faced up with a defender his natural instinct is to invariably pass the ball backwards. As you say players like Mane and Ojo will back themselves against their opposite number and that's not something you can say about Markovic unfortunately. He's too timid and as a result the output just isn't there in terms of numbers, 2 league goals in 2 seasons isn't it. Best we move him on now in my opinion, his value is only going to drop given the amount of games he'll play next season.

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2016, 04:56:50 pm »
This would be one of the worst things we could do.

I was trying to find the guys post to say the exact same thing. To sell Markovic for next to nothing (not so much a huge problem) to then go and spend what Newcastle want for Sissoko would be one of the dumbest transfer decisions EVER at the club.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2016, 04:59:52 pm »
If he is really doing well in training as Melissa suggests, that would be a dumb thing to do.

Did you think the club trying to sell a player would say he's shite at training?
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2016, 05:01:43 pm »
Markovic doesnt have a confidence problem he has an ability problem.

He's a winger who doesnt dribble/front up his defender, failing that he's an AM who doesnt score or assist, failing that he's a wingback who doesnt want to defend.

Being more 'confident' wont fix his issues when the issue is one of simply not being good enough. Said it eleswhere but Markovic can be filed alongside Ryan Babel. A worthwhile albeit expensive punt on a promising youngster who ultimately fell well short in terms of output and quality.

Let him go and have a middling career across Europe.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2016, 05:03:06 pm »
I'm not sure if that's something you can teach. His natural instinct is to carry the ball into space and then at the point when faced up with a defender his natural instinct is to invariably pass the ball backwards. As you say players like Mane and Ojo will back themselves against their opposite number and that's not something you can say about Markovic unfortunately. He's too timid and as a result the output just isn't there in terms of numbers, 2 league goals in 2 seasons isn't it. Best we move him on now in my opinion, his value is only going to drop given the amount of games he'll play next season.

That's how i see him too,timid and not agressive or decisive enough in his actions to create something positive. Kent looks less talented technically than Markovic but he looks more likely to make something happen for us on the pitch. He's not a bad player though and in a team which uses counter-attacking tactics a lot he could be effective.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 05:09:44 pm by Tobelius »

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2016, 05:08:33 pm »
We'll see. I think we have had a forgiving mentality for too long. I welcome what seems to be a tougher approach. If we opt to keep Markovic, he needs to play and he needs to contribute in line with what we can expect from a first team player.

If we look at the summer so far we have parted with Canos, Ibe, Skrtel, Toure and we're searching for deals for Alberto, Benteke and Balotelli. But if we stop there, that should bring us 60M or so. Add a decent fee for Markovic, say 10M+. Now for the really interesting thing - in what way would all those departures weaken our first eleven? Our 11+7 that we bring to a game? Not at all is my answer. This is not Markovic' fault, it's the fault of previous mistakes by us. Still, he is part of a large group of players, worth 70M+, that has had very little impact. We can find a reason to keep each of those players, but why when they aren't all that important to us? Better to sell.

Fair enough. Will just have to agree to disagree on this one

I don't disagree that the "11+7" will not be affected by the players you mentioned right now (including Marko) but I just think he has the potential to break into that and be valuable to the squad over cashing in on him for money we're most likely not going to need anyway. And I'd say that for him above any of the others which is why I'd be curious to know the reasons why he is moved on if this rumour is true

A tougher approach is great....but smarter recruitment would be better  ;)

For They Have Seen GOD.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2016, 05:10:16 pm »
If we're open to offers because we don't have a lot of games this season, why would we spend big on a replacement bench warmer?

Just out of curiosity, I took a look at his stats (I know) for the 2014/15 season and he doesn't look like he had the terrible year some are suggesting, though admittedly he played a fair bit less so that could skew things.
Think you have to take it to account he was playing in Turkey.