Author Topic: Which Airline?  (Read 115281 times)

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Which Airline?
« Reply #1120 on: June 7, 2022, 05:00:17 pm »
I'm guessing you flew with TUI? Their 787's are nothing special. It's when you step onto an A380, A350 or B777 with a proper airline that you feel the gulf in class, similar to us and Everton.

Yes was TUI. Flying on an A380 with Emirates later this year to go to the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix and staying with a mate who lives in Dubai, can’t wait! We’ve paid for seats upstairs but still in economy, can’t afford Business unfortunately. We’re in a 2, think the seat configuration was 2-4-2 in economy upstairs.
« Last Edit: June 7, 2022, 05:02:35 pm by sminp »
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1121 on: June 7, 2022, 05:15:31 pm »
Yes was TUI. Flying on an A380 with Emirates later this year to go to the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix and staying with a mate who lives in Dubai, can’t wait! We’ve paid for seats upstairs but still in economy, can’t afford Business unfortunately. We’re in a 2, think the seat configuration was 2-4-2 in economy upstairs.

Its nice upstairs even in economy, they are 2-4-2 The window seat has a cupboard next to it to stash stuff in. The bogs are huge, like a proper room, you go down the big double staircase to get to them and its none of this standing cramped shite.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1122 on: June 7, 2022, 10:44:58 pm »
Its nice upstairs even in economy, they are 2-4-2 The window seat has a cupboard next to it to stash stuff in. The bogs are huge, like a proper room, you go down the big double staircase to get to them and its none of this standing cramped shite.

I spoke too soon. Paid £134 for the pair of those seats as we preferred not to have someone next to us and for the novelty of being upstairs on a flight then when I checked again after I posted earlier they’ve switched the plane for a 3 class one which means economy downstairs in a 3-4-3 config only and they’ve shoved us into the base seats which cost nothing, not even given us the ‘preferred’ or extra legroom ones. Bastards won’t even give me my money back which I had paid to upgrade to those seats. Spent 40mins on the phone only to be told that my whole flight will be cancelled if they issue a refund on the seats. First time with Emirates and it’s already a bad experience before I’ve even left my house.
« Last Edit: June 7, 2022, 10:47:30 pm by sminp »
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline CaseRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1123 on: June 8, 2022, 10:43:48 am »
I have found Emirates massively over rated when i have flown with them.

2 hours to get a drink and they seemed more concerned with calling out how many nationalities and languages they had in the crew than serving passengers.

Singapore on the other hand were incredible. Cocktail list handed out in economy as the wheels lifted o0ff at Heathrow and nothing was too much trouble.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1125 on: January 6, 2024, 10:09:09 am »
737 Max again!

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1126 on: January 6, 2024, 06:44:14 pm »
Keep your seatbelt on!

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/jan/06/alaska-airlines-grounds-boeing-737-max-9-planes-after-mid-air-window-blowout

2 month old plane.

737 Max again!

Airbus will be rubbing their hands with glee.

My lads flying instructor knows a Boeing test pilot, he's going to ring him to see what the fuck is going on.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1127 on: January 6, 2024, 07:26:44 pm »

2 hours to get a drink and they seemed more concerned with calling out how many nationalities and languages they had in the crew than serving passengers.

Singapore on the other hand were incredible. Cocktail list handed out in economy as the wheels lifted o0ff at Heathrow and nothing was too much trouble.
Singapore is best airline I've been on as well.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1128 on: January 6, 2024, 08:25:58 pm »
First time the I went to Oman to visit my brother went by British Caledonia, it was by far the best flight I have been on. Comfortable planes and really good service on the plane, came home by BA and noticed the difference straight away.  ::)
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1129 on: January 7, 2024, 03:09:16 am »
My folks just happened to be talking about Singapore Airlines just now. For them, the big plus is that SA flight attendants keep toilets clean whereas British Airways won't touch them so they remain filthy until landing. Kind of a big deal when flying Sydney to New Delhi.

Offline Valore

• Why Don't You Come On Over
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Help Rafa, help us. Help Rafa... Help Us...
« Reply #1130 on: January 7, 2024, 04:11:44 am »
My folks just happened to be talking about Singapore Airlines just now. For them, the big plus is that SA flight attendants keep toilets clean whereas British Airways won't touch them so they remain filthy until landing. Kind of a big deal when flying Sydney to New Delhi.

Least they could do considering their pricing which is always premium, plus their fleet is always new and well maintained.
They beat better teams on the way, won in circumstances when other teams would have surrendered, were given the last rites and pronounced dead at the scene, before grabbing the attendant by the throat on the slab in the morgue, making everyone jump.

- Martin Samuel, after we beat Arsenal 4-2 in the second leg of the CL QF 2007-200

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1131 on: January 7, 2024, 12:57:42 pm »

Singapore sounds great. I actually ended up with economy upstairs on the way out in the end and economy downstairs on the way back after Emirates changed the plane multiple times following on from my posts over a year ago. A380 both ways. Upstairs the service was excellent, I guess maybe because it’s a smaller section to serve. Downstairs I didn’t see any service though really which was pretty disappointing.

Edit: I’m so dopey I didn’t realise I was responding to a really old post also  :lmao I’ll leave it as maybe the info will be useful for someone in future
« Last Edit: January 7, 2024, 02:08:22 pm by sminp »

Offline CaseRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1132 on: January 8, 2024, 03:30:00 pm »
i am going business class to Chennai in March on Etihad. 1st time with them so will be interesting to see how it is.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #1133 on: January 8, 2024, 03:52:24 pm »
Good time to be flying long haul with United Airlines, I'd say, especially on a Boeing. Can't wait.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1134 on: January 8, 2024, 04:12:39 pm »
Good time to be flying long haul with United Airlines, I'd say, especially on a Boeing. Can't wait.

737 Max.... ;)

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1135 on: January 8, 2024, 04:20:23 pm »

Its only the 737's that are causing issues, short haul plane, so you'll be fine. It'll be a 757, 777 or a 787 you'll be on most likely

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1136 on: January 8, 2024, 04:28:51 pm »
Its only the 737's that are causing issues, short haul plane, so you'll be fine. It'll be a 757, 777 or a 787 you'll be on most likely

I know, I know. Just making light of the fact I'm flying through the States on an American airline/aircraft after that incident.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1137 on: January 8, 2024, 04:38:27 pm »
I know, I know. Just making light of the fact I'm flying through the States on an American airline/aircraft after that incident.

Parts of a 737 could fall on top of you......................

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1138 on: January 8, 2024, 04:57:41 pm »

Make sure to pick an aisle seat.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1139 on: January 8, 2024, 05:13:23 pm »

A domino effect. Who is checking MY plane if Boeing has all their crews fixing the Maxs, again  ;D

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #1140 on: January 8, 2024, 06:32:17 pm »

What a great story that would be for all the relatives though. Just imagine them coming together for all the big family gatherings and talking about how Trump's tiny tiny hands flew across the country in a Boeing, landed at the destination, was happy about having arrived there safely and then a big piece of a 737 drops right on their seat on the plane, through the roof and right on their seat. They'd be talking about that even in ten generations...

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1141 on: January 8, 2024, 06:35:58 pm »
i am going business class to Chennai in March on Etihad. 1st time with them so will be interesting to see how it is.
It's a good product, not as good as Singapore or Emirates, but I'll never fly them due to their links to the cheats. Crooked airline.

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1142 on: January 8, 2024, 06:42:50 pm »
I've just booked a Singapore to Manchester flight on Singapore Airlines for later this year. It always used to be the case that they were excellent, but before booking this flight, I read a lot of criticism of their A350 product. Lots of people saying the seats are really uncomfortable in all classes. I booked anyway because the flight was direct and therefore lesser environmental impact, plus seat selection was free unlike Turkish and Qatar so overall it was cheaper. But can't say I'm looking forward to a 14 hour flight in a shit seat. First world problems and all that.
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1143 on: January 8, 2024, 06:45:33 pm »
Flew Singapore recently. Decent enough, haven’t flown long haul in about 13 years so don’t have a lot to compare it to. Flew economy (obvs) but was good enough in terms of comfort, entertainment and food. My baggage didn’t make it but think that’s more the airport rather than the airline to blame. Although they were. Bit shit in the aftermath, took over a week for it to turn up and that was after I’d had to chase the airport a few times who tracked it down for me. Got about four automated emails a day from Singapore saying they were working hard to find my bag which got annoying pretty quickly!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1144 on: January 8, 2024, 06:51:18 pm »
What a great story that would be for all the relatives though. Just imagine them coming together for all the big family gatherings and talking about how Trump's tiny tiny hands flew across the country in a Boeing, landed at the destination, was happy about having arrived there safely and then a big piece of a 737 drops right on their seat on the plane, through the roof and right on their seat. They'd be talking about that even in ten generations...

A bit Donnie Darko for me

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #1145 on: January 8, 2024, 08:35:38 pm »
Had a flight to London from the States in early December. Worst one ever.

Pretty sure it was the 737. DC to LHR.

Arrived in plenty of time for flight at 10PM. Everyone gets on plane. Plane does not leave. We all sit in out seats on the plane for 90 minutes. Mechanical problem. They can't fix it. Everyone gets off plane and we get on another plane a few gates down. We are set to leave at 1AM as all bags/food/drink etc. is moved to new plane. Plane pushes back from gate and then a mechanical light comes on as we are taxiing to runway. Back to the gate we go and arrive about 1.15AM. We are told to get off the plane but do not leave the gate. At2AM we are told plane will be going nowehere and we get a new plane and crew at 10AM or so.
Finally takes off at 11AM or so, 13 hours late.
The plus side was that half the flight had connecting European flights so they booked other routes. Flight was half emoty so slept fully across three vacant seats.

Return flight was on time but they lost my bag with Xmas presents in it for almost three weeks.

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1146 on: January 9, 2024, 03:08:27 am »
I've just booked a Singapore to Manchester flight on Singapore Airlines for later this year. …

It’s worth going to have a look at the butterflies in T3 at Changi. It’s airside  outside / inside garden quite magical and very peaceful  - set you up for the long flight.

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1147 on: January 9, 2024, 08:23:46 am »
some 380s coming out of mothballs to meet current demand

good news if you want to get the chance to travel in the quietest most comfortable plane, the newly refitted Emirates Business class would be a dream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbzbXEO10yY

(09:03) A380 is gaining popularity in niche markets.
(10:51) Despite challenges, the A380 has a long future ahead.
« Last Edit: January 9, 2024, 08:26:25 am by kavah »

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #1148 on: January 9, 2024, 09:09:08 am »
I CANNOT understand how people (airlines) keep ordering 737 MAX planes, it is fucking mental... and the fact also Boeing haven't been slapped into a different universe, mental.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1149 on: January 9, 2024, 10:24:43 am »
I CANNOT understand how people (airlines) keep ordering 737 MAX planes, it is fucking mental... and the fact also Boeing haven't been slapped into a different universe, mental.

The 737NG's, produced since 1997, actually have an excellent safety record, so this likely influences purchasers - personally I'd be ordering A320's if I was buying planes for an airline, we're flying with TUI in June 2025 and i'm hoping they swap our plane for a 787 as we are due on a MAX. An ex employee of Boeing said they outsource so much now that quality control is suffering. My lads flying instructor knows a Boeing test pilot, gonna have a chat with him on Saturday..

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #1150 on: January 9, 2024, 03:10:58 pm »
the big plus is that SA flight attendants keep toilets clean whereas British Airways won't touch them so they remain filthy until landing. Kind of a big deal when flying Sydney to New Delhi.

That service would be more important when travelling from New Delhi to anywhere
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1151 on: January 9, 2024, 03:22:07 pm »
Lots of positive singapore reviews which is good. Looking to fly to Singapore for a few days then onto Sydney in 2025. Looks like Singapore will get my £££ unless the price is vastly different elsewhere.

Offline CaseRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1152 on: January 9, 2024, 04:45:27 pm »
It's a good product, not as good as Singapore or Emirates, but I'll never fly them due to their links to the cheats. Crooked airline.

Its a work booking so had no choice when they came up cheapest sadly. I will take some disinfectant wipes to clean down before i touch anything!

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #1153 on: January 9, 2024, 04:54:50 pm »
Its a work booking so had no choice when they came up cheapest sadly. I will take some disinfectant wipes to clean down before i touch anything!

Get one of these to prevent infection

https://premiercaraccessories.com/products/liverpool-car-seat-cover-standard

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1154 on: January 9, 2024, 05:15:10 pm »

What if they put you on this plane? (Yes its used for commercial flights)  ;D

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1155 on: January 9, 2024, 07:01:33 pm »
Disguting! Sooner it's scrapped the better, hate seeing it at Manchester.

The other reason airlines go for 737's over A320's is simply they're cheaper. For a reason I guess. If it's Boeing, I aint going!

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1156 on: January 9, 2024, 08:14:06 pm »
;D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OvOKZe1NgBk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OvOKZe1NgBk</a>

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1157 on: January 9, 2024, 08:31:51 pm »
good news if you want to get the chance to travel in the quietest most comfortable plane, the newly refitted Emirates Business class would be a dream

Did Emirates business class in an older A380 last year and it was far the best experience I've ever had on a plane. GF has just done Manc to Singapore (via Abu Dhabi) on an Etihad A380 business class, and other than it being a bit more modern looking said Emirates was better.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1158 on: February 5, 2024, 09:38:39 am »
Just did a flight to NZ and back through the States. I would not recommend taking the 2 hour transit option in either LAX or San Fran. It is barely enough time to get through all the hoops they make you jump through. There are major works going on at LAX, they don't offer any assistance or sign posting to help you navigate their shithole of an airport. So after having to go through customs check, get your checked in luggage, re-checking it in 20 metres later you have to hope you get through security with everyone else, not just the people from your flight, on time. Only the US make you do all this and they simply don't have the facilities/resources for it. At San Fran, one of their runways is shut down. So while the airport is nicer you can end up stuck on the tarmac waiting for a gate like I did, losing 50mins. Security was a quagmire and after finally getting through I was told my gate was closed, boarding finished. I ran anyway and they let me on, closing the doors behind me, stranding around 30 people from my previous flight and, as I found out later, my luggage.

Got a nice comparison between United Airlines long haul and Air NZ. The interior of the UA planes just feel a whole lot more plastic and cheap compared to how the Air NZ planes are fitted out. More leg room on the Air NZ planes too.

Offline TheRedBaron

• Mock Conkey
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Fuck With Guillem Balague!
« Reply #1159 on: March 1, 2024, 04:17:12 pm »
Has anyone flown with Gulf Air? Not expecting them to be amazing but just want reassurance its not a middle east RyanAir hahaha.
'Jimmy, I get home, I shut the curtains and I sleep'.

- Mascherano after running out of petrol, forgetting his money then being hit in his car on his way home