Author Topic: VAR! Video Assistant Referee & Shite Referees in General  (Read 1345359 times)

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
Re: VAR! Video Assistant Referee - It's not for everyone / Bit shit innit?
« Reply #12480 on: September 12, 2021, 05:59:32 pm »
I see the ludicrous version of VAR is on show in our game today.

Pathetic

Absolute joke. They had a player standing on the line and VAR is checking for offside FFS

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12481 on: September 12, 2021, 06:05:39 pm »
Absolute joke. They had a player standing on the line and VAR is checking for offside FFS
The offside rule is two players between a player and the goal. There was one.

How was the Mane penalty replay only shown once? Looked a stone wall penalty to me.

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12482 on: September 12, 2021, 06:57:35 pm »

How was the Mane penalty replay only shown once? Looked a stone wall penalty to me.

Yeah, that was odd to me.
The possible offside was replayed over and over, but the challenge I only saw one replay, and that not from the best angle or sloeed down

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #12483 on: September 12, 2021, 07:30:52 pm »

How was he offside in any context? Even for a check

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #12484 on: September 12, 2021, 07:33:55 pm »
How was he offside in any context? Even for a check

They were checking to see if he was obstructing the view and actions of the player who was on the line. He was in an offside position just not interfering with play

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #12485 on: September 12, 2021, 07:57:25 pm »
If only a hockey rink was as big as a football pitch i'm sure the offside rule would be revisited.

Proper hockey. Similar side pitch. Not the padded nonsense.

Mental. Every defensive line would immediately have to retreat to permanently sitting on the edge of their own area.

You can't compare hockey with football.

Didn’t happen with hockey although your second point is fair. Easy to go aerial and get behind a defender in football compared to hockey.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #12486 on: September 12, 2021, 08:29:35 pm »
They were checking to see if he was obstructing the view and actions of the player who was on the line. He was in an offside position just not interfering with play

It was bananas. There was nothing in it to suggest he was interfering. They apparently checked the first goal. Salah was behind the ball.

Beginning to think they don't actually know the rules.

Then again I have seen a centre back appeal for offside from a goal kick

Online wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12487 on: September 12, 2021, 08:35:46 pm »
Or Luis Suarez appealing for handball when the goalie saved it.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #12488 on: September 12, 2021, 08:54:14 pm »
If Raphinha was behind the goal line then he is off the pitch and so Mane would have been offside. I guess they were checking to see if in fact Raphinha was behind the line or on it and to see if Mane was interfering with play. Don't know why they needed so many looks at it though.

Mane was in an offside position regardless of where Raphinha was. If he was off the pitch then he wouldn't have been with permission so would have been considered on the goal line from an offside point of view.

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12489 on: September 12, 2021, 08:55:16 pm »
If Raphinha was behind the goal line then he is off the pitch and so Mane would have been offside. I guess they were checking to see if in fact Raphinha was behind the line or on it and to see if Mane was interfering with play. Don't know why they needed so many looks at it though.

Mane was in an offside position, whether Raphina was off the pitch or not. Offside requires two players between the attacker and the goal line and Mane was ahead of the GK.

That said, he absolutely wasn't interfering with play and it was bizarre that they even considered ruling it out. The Leeds defender ahead of Raphina blocked his view, who was never getting to it in any case.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #12490 on: September 12, 2021, 08:58:58 pm »
It was bananas. There was nothing in it to suggest he was interfering. They apparently checked the first goal. Salah was behind the ball.

Beginning to think they don't actually know the rules.

I don't mind it being quietly checked in the background, but anyone needing to look at either of the goals for more than one replay to see if it's offside is an idiot.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12491 on: September 12, 2021, 09:01:15 pm »
Ah, yes, true.

Online ChrisLFCKOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12492 on: September 12, 2021, 09:10:39 pm »

If Raphinha was behind goal line then he couldn't be interfering with play by block line of sight, it would have only been discounted if he had touched it I assume (which would also be mad as its a clear goal either way).

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #12493 on: September 12, 2021, 09:11:37 pm »

Sorry but that's bollocks.

He was absolutely offside.
The one defender is used as it's assumed the goalkeeper is the last man.

Mane was stood behind the goal keeper. He's had not interaction. He makes the movement away from the ball.

Raphina position had nothing to do with it. Replace raphina with the Goalie. Is mane offside?

Clearly fucking not

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #12494 on: September 12, 2021, 09:11:38 pm »

Not true.

The Laws of the game state if a player is behind the goal line, in the goal or not, the lino considers that player to be level with the goal line. Attacker or defender.

Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #12495 on: September 12, 2021, 09:13:17 pm »
For those questioning why the red wasn’t over turned….

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12496 on: September 12, 2021, 09:15:44 pm »
The reason they look at offsides over and over again is because they are deluded enough to believe that offsides are objective calls and fouls are subjective.

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12497 on: September 12, 2021, 09:15:47 pm »
Sorry but that's bollocks.

He was absolutely offside.
The one defender is used as it's assumed the goalkeeper is the last man.

Mane was stood behind the goal keeper. He's had not interaction. He makes the movement away from the ball.

Raphina position had nothing to do with it. Replace raphina with the Goalie. Is mane offside?

Clearly fucking not

I have already acknowledged my mistake above!.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 09:25:39 pm by red1977 »

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #12498 on: September 12, 2021, 09:27:14 pm »
A defending player who leaves the field of play without the referee’s
permission shall be considered to be on the goal line or touchline for the
purposes of offside until the next stoppage in play or until the defending team
has played the ball towards the halfway line and it is outside its penalty area. If
the player left the field of play deliberately, the player must be cautioned when
the ball is next out of play.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #12499 on: September 12, 2021, 10:09:55 pm »
Is anyone aside from Sky pundits defending the red?

You know by totally ignoring the rules?

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12500 on: September 12, 2021, 10:42:45 pm »
I imagine they were looking at the goal to see if Mane’s movement away from the goal pulled Rafinha out of position. That’s the only thing they can have been looking at.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #12501 on: September 12, 2021, 10:48:02 pm »
Is anyone aside from Sky pundits defending the red?

You know by totally ignoring the rules?
It’s blowing my mind.

It’s a straight red.  He leaves the ground with both feet at high speed.  As soon as you do that you have no control over your body.  That’s what caused the injury and it was his fault.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline lfc79

• Kopite
« Reply #12502 on: September 12, 2021, 10:58:27 pm »
Yep match of the day 2 pundits basically saying that he didn’t mean to injure him so should not be a red card

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #12503 on: September 12, 2021, 11:08:58 pm »
Yep match of the day 2 pundits basically saying that he didn’t mean to injure him so should not be a red card

None of them used the term reckless? Because I could jump into a tackle with no intention to injure a player but if both feet were off the ground I’d be out of control.

It’s not like these pundits are paid 6 figure salaries to offer expert opinion or anything…
Believer

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #12504 on: September 13, 2021, 07:23:45 am »

I really feel like they need the rules explaining to them in simple terms.

Intent doesn't matter, as tepid put it so eloquently once you jump like he did it's a red card. You don't even need to make contact with a player, if the referee deems it dangerous.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12505 on: September 13, 2021, 08:16:34 am »
I really feel like they need the rules explaining to them in simple terms.

Intent doesn't matter, as tepid put it so eloquently once you jump like he did it's a red card. You don't even need to make contact with a player, if the referee deems it dangerous.

If someone like Kane, Grealish or any Manchester United player gets injured in an accidental collision or is slightly nudged and turns their ankle they will wilfully misunderstand again and say “he should have been sent off as he injured him, like with the Harvey Elliot situation”.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #12506 on: September 13, 2021, 08:22:20 am »
If someone like Kane, Grealish or any Manchester United player gets injured in an accidental collision or is slightly nudged and turns their ankle they will wilfully misunderstand again and say “he should have been sent off as he injured him, like with the Harvey Elliot situation”.

I said to a friend. Imagine Neville's attitude if it had been on Ronny the ("alleged") rapist.

I'm sure he wouldn't have been nearly as concerned about the player who made a reckless attempt at the ball

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12507 on: September 13, 2021, 08:50:40 am »
Reckless and excessive force are in the fucking laws: Pawson got to the right decision by virtue of seeing that Elliott's leg had been crushed the weight of a man flying through the air at full speed.

The underlying problem is that Pawson didn't think it was a foul let alone a card of any kind until he saw the injury. He thought that challenge, from behind, two feet off the ground was OK.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12508 on: September 13, 2021, 08:51:57 am »
The last time we played, there were many people saying the Chelsea player was within his rights to scoop the ball off the line with his hand, so I am not in the least bit fucking surprised.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12509 on: September 13, 2021, 08:54:41 am »

Thanks, hadn't seen that angle and coupled with the rather graphic picture in the other thread it completely clears up how the injury happened

Very reckless and yet no mention of the fact he completely left the ground to make the challenge

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #12510 on: September 13, 2021, 08:58:56 am »
Reckless and excessive force are in the fucking laws: Pawson got to the right decision by virtue of seeing that Elliott's leg had been crushed the weight of a man flying through the air at full speed.

The underlying problem is that Pawson didn't think it was a foul let alone a card of any kind until he saw the injury. He thought that challenge, from behind, two feet off the ground was OK.

So, the solution is clear, no?
To make the referees job easier, our players must get in the way of robust tackles and ensure their legs get snapped in half. Liverpool players are to blame for the referees not giving them enough free kicks, as they are not showing enough proof that the tackles are unfair.

- Mike
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline dutchkop

• has an issue with his phlemish phalange (bunch of jackals, leave him alone).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12511 on: September 13, 2021, 09:09:36 am »
I imagine they were looking at the goal to see if Mane’s movement away from the goal pulled Rafinha out of position. That’s the only thing they can have been looking at.

he actually did pull Rafina away from where the shot was. However it was one that went our well (correctly so) as Mane was getting out of way of possible shot. so not interfering with play.  Keeper was not influenced which is probably the deciding factor.

If Rafina had stayed were he was he may have had a chance of stopping shot but he moved to his left following Mane

Iwas gutted for Thiago not to get his header (Offsides) as that was great attack and header.

Mane was also in offside position for Salah goal (who was not offsides).

Offline dutchkop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12512 on: September 13, 2021, 09:13:16 am »
Thanks, hadn't seen that angle and coupled with the rather graphic picture in the other thread it completely clears up how the injury happened

Very reckless and yet no mention of the fact he completely left the ground to make the challenge

those screen shots and angle show how the defender has no control of his body, feet and just lunges into space to stop Harvey.

I do thiink Prem refs need to reconsider how to keep the flow and stop people diving & falling over when there is minimal contact. But more importantly they need to cut  out the rough stuff and over the top tackling and physical stuff.

There was a moment when Mo got smacked in the upper chest/throat area 0 he stayed on his feet, if that had been in Spain, Germany or Italy they would have collapsed like a pack of cards

Offline dutchkop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12513 on: September 13, 2021, 09:14:27 am »

thankfully the tackle and injury were not shown over and over in slow motion.

Online BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #12514 on: September 13, 2021, 09:34:25 am »
I do thiink Prem refs need to reconsider how to keep the flow

Not having a go at you, but Klopp was right last night in saying that "letting the game flow" is a completely meaningless phrase. The ref's job is to stop play if there's a foul and to wave play on if there's no foul. The rules of the game determine what is a foul and what is not. If you instruct the refs to "let the game flow", you're essentially instructing them to ignore fouls. And since there are no clear rules on which fouls are to be ignored, you get inconsistency. And then players start thinking some fouls are worth the risk because there's a chance they will be ignored. And then (other) players end up injured.

If they want the game to flow, they should discourage fouling by dishing out proper punishments, rather than encourage fouling by waving play on.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12515 on: September 13, 2021, 09:47:20 am »
Not having a go at you, but Klopp was right last night in saying that "letting the game flow" is a completely meaningless phrase. The ref's job is to stop play if there's a foul and to wave play on if there's no foul. The rules of the game determine what is a foul and what is not. If you instruct the refs to "let the game flow", you're essentially instructing them to ignore fouls. And since there are no clear rules on which fouls are to be ignored, you get inconsistency. And then players start thinking some fouls are worth the risk because there's a chance they will be ignored. And then (other) players end up injured.

If they want the game to flow, they should discourage fouling by dishing out proper punishments, rather than encourage fouling by waving play on.
Of course he's right. This whole thing is becoming last years VAR. Which naively I thought had been sorted until that ridiculous check for Fabinho's goal.
Tactics evolve as do counter tactics and I've long thought that the counter to our press was for the opposition to fall under no pressure. So in theory this should help us?

Of course not. On the evidence of this season we still get a foul against when we breath on the opposition, but the kicker is that the opposition are virtually empowered to fly into dangerous tackles.

I said last night that the Burnley game indirectly led to the Elliot's injury. Until refs start actually applying the laws and dickehead managers and pundits are allowed to get away with ignorance of the laws and outright hypocrisy we will have the current mess.

Endangering an opponent, use of excessive force, reckless play, being out of control are all covered by the laws. So why the fuck are challenges that tick these boxes waived away by refs and then explained away by pundits as being part of "letting the game flow"

It's bullshit and is making the game as unwatchable as last seasons self inflicted farce - which on the evidence of yesterday has still not gone away.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12516 on: September 13, 2021, 10:21:07 am »
Of course he's right. This whole thing is becoming last years VAR. Which naively I thought had been sorted until that ridiculous check for Fabinho's goal.
Tactics evolve as do counter tactics and I've long thought that the counter to our press was for the opposition to fall under no pressure. So in theory this should help us?

Of course not. On the evidence of this season we still get a foul against when we breath on the opposition, but the kicker is that the opposition are virtually empowered to fly into dangerous tackles.

I said last night that the Burnley game indirectly led to the Elliot's injury. Until refs start actually applying the laws and dickehead managers and pundits are allowed to get away with ignorance of the laws and outright hypocrisy we will have the current mess.

Endangering an opponent, use of excessive force, reckless play, being out of control are all covered by the laws. So why the fuck are challenges that tick these boxes waived away by refs and then explained away by pundits as being part of "letting the game flow"

It's bullshit and is making the game as unwatchable as last seasons self inflicted farce - which on the evidence of yesterday has still not gone away.

Garth Crooks take on it in his weekly column of shite?  “That’s football, I’m afraid”. 

In the last 2 or 3 years we’ve had Gomez break his leg at Burnley,  just “an accident” , Van Dijk and Thiago out for months at Goodison, but the Everton players “didn’t mean it”, Elliot out for months “innocuous, that’s just football”.

I can’t help but think that if one of a handful of other clubs had, in recent seasons, lost two very promising young English players, arguably the best player in his position in Europe, and a newly signed superstar that everyone was excited to see to nasty tackles there would be a slightly different conversation being had.

It might just be because they make claims about our squad depth and want to be seen to be correct.  So they’re happy for players to severely injured because then they can continue to be paid for parroting the same line instead of having to think up something more original.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12517 on: September 13, 2021, 11:28:13 am »
Garth Crooks take on it in his weekly column of shite?  “That’s football, I’m afraid”. 

In the last 2 or 3 years we’ve had Gomez break his leg at Burnley,  just “an accident” , Van Dijk and Thiago out for months at Goodison, but the Everton players “didn’t mean it”, Elliot out for months “innocuous, that’s just football”.

I can’t help but think that if one of a handful of other clubs had, in recent seasons, lost two very promising young English players, arguably the best player in his position in Europe, and a newly signed superstar that everyone was excited to see to nasty tackles there would be a slightly different conversation being had.

It might just be because they make claims about our squad depth and want to be seen to be correct.  So they’re happy for players to severely injured because then they can continue to be paid for parroting the same line instead of having to think up something more original.
I cannot stomach mainstream football coverage and you've given another good example why.

I'd like to see some broader stats on how many long term injuries from dangerous tackles other clubs have had, but that's 3 for us in 12 months.

"That's football" and "he didn't men to injure him" are not good enough from supposed football professionals.

When there's laws specifically written to punish dangerous play, then "he didn't mean it" just doesn't wash I'm afraid. The very acts of tackling from behind, leaving the ground, lunging and scissoring legs around an opponent mean the tackler isn't in full control. Which means that irrespective of intent to injure, his actions have significantly increased the risk of injury.

No doubt on the rare occasion that one of our players makes a poor tackle, we'll have the full force of the commentariat telling us how it should be a red because he endangered an opponent and under the laws it's a red. Wait a minute, that happened with Mane v City didn't it.

Just fucking judge us by the same standards you shower of hypocritical wankers.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #12518 on: September 13, 2021, 01:37:28 pm »
Dale Johnsons thread will make for some interesting comments this week.

He's argued (perfectly normally) why it's a red card.

He's also somewhat oddly suggested mane would have been deemed interfering with play had the player behind him been the goalie.

Especially when there is a Leeds player also in the way.

Offline liverbnz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12519 on: September 13, 2021, 11:05:58 pm »
Mane was offside. And I agree with Dale to be honest. Mane moved to his left which prompted Raphina to react and do the same. If Mane isn’t there, the ball likely gets cleared off the line.
One thing you will discover is that life is based less than you think on what you've learned, and much more than you think on what you have inside you from the very beginning