Author Topic: Marvel Musings. Now with Spidey Spoilers.  (Read 632065 times)

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Marvel Musings. Now with Endgame Spoilers.
« Reply #6800 on: October 31, 2021, 05:13:21 pm »
Have I missed something?

Spoiler
In Falcon & Winter Soldier & in clip for Eternals where the people who disappeared under Thanos return?.
[close]

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #6801 on: November 9, 2021, 08:15:42 am »
Couple of spoiler filled images from the new Spiderman film leaked onto twitter last night

Triple spoiler tagged to avoid accidental clicking

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

[close]
[close]
[close]

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6802 on: November 9, 2021, 10:40:16 am »
It's probably the marvel film i've been least excited about, But it's a lot different to the rest isn't it so maybe that's why

Impression I have from reviews is that it's very much a foundation building film, setting up a lot of new stuff off world.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #6803 on: November 9, 2021, 12:50:07 pm »
Couple of spoiler filled images from the new Spiderman film leaked onto twitter last night

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

[close]
[close]
[close]

Felt I was in Candyman. I clicked the first two, then shit out.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #6804 on: November 9, 2021, 02:20:02 pm »

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

[close]
[close]
[close]

Not entirely unexpected either. Can't wait for the movie btw. I know we've had 3 more MCU movies since then but this really feels to me like the first one since Far From Home. Which doesn't bode well for the MCU going forward.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6805 on: November 9, 2021, 03:49:49 pm »
Trailer must be coming shortly, usually follows shortly after the poster reveal which came yesterday.

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6806 on: November 10, 2021, 01:02:10 pm »
Completely up to date with all Marvel & MCU now after watching Venom & Eternals over the weekend. I enjoyed Eternals, thought it was a bit long, but overall good. However, i do have worries that new characters are being brought in too quickly & often

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6807 on: November 10, 2021, 04:50:28 pm »
Completely up to date with all Marvel & MCU now after watching Venom & Eternals over the weekend. I enjoyed Eternals, thought it was a bit long, but overall good. However, i do have worries that new characters are being brought in too quickly & often

I enjoyed Eternals, not sure if what there bringing to the MCU on the larger cosmic scale is a great fit for the mostly grounded world they've created (feel the same with the Blade film)

Spoiler
however the ending does take them off the board until the sequel (whenever that happens) which seems likely to take place in space
[close]
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6808 on: November 10, 2021, 10:39:19 pm »
Good to see LFC make yet another MCU appearance. Intrigued to know why this came about in the first place whether its a mate of john henry or someone involved in iron man 3 supports us.
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #6809 on: November 10, 2021, 10:45:07 pm »
Good to see LFC make yet another MCU appearance. Intrigued to know why this came about in the first place whether its a mate of john henry or someone involved in iron man 3 supports us.

If I remember rightly, there was a spate of references to the club in the period shortly after FSG took over - I think various productions in the US noted that we were becoming more known in the states due to the Red Socks connection and looked to capitalise.

Obviously in the case of Shang Chi, bringing back a character from that era would necessitate including some references to the back story as established in IM3

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6810 on: November 11, 2021, 08:11:45 pm »
Russo brothers are LFC fans, aren't they?  Wasn't it them that did that Iron Man image with the football prior to the CL final against Spurs?  And of course, Samuel L Jackson is a Liverpool fan too. ;)
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #6811 on: November 11, 2021, 09:29:05 pm »
I was totally surprised by Shang-Chi up there with one of my fav Marvel movies really enjoyable
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6812 on: November 11, 2021, 09:53:15 pm »
Think I’m right in saying Shang Chi is on Disney+ from tomorrow.

Hawkeye getting good reviews, starts in a couple of weeks with a double episode.

Saw Eternals last night. Thought it was mostly very dull, although rare in that it’s Marvel film where the third act is much better than what came before.

Spoiler
On the plus side, it has a really different visual style to other Marvel films so credit to Zhao there. The shot of the half-born Celestial sticking out of the earth is tremendous.

But what is usually Marvel’s biggest strength - casting - really let’s them down here. Couldn’t tell if it was poor scripting, bad acting or a combo of both, but most of the Eternals just didn’t feel right. Gemma Chan’s Sersi was devoid of character or spark. Angelina Jolie was criminally underused (she liked amazing to be fair) and I didn’t buy Salma Hayek as the leader. Barry Keoghan came across terribly to me, nice that he got to keep the Irish accent but his delivery felt so monotone. Same with Richard Madden, who is just incredibly wooden - although there are at least some storyline reasons for that and he does improve after the heel turn. But for me Kumail Nanjiani steals the show, easily the most entertaining Eternal and with surprising depth.

Kit Harrington is pretty good, but his screen time is ridiculously limited. Disappears after the first ten minutes, which makes it feel all the stranger when the film ends by focusing on him. Obviously there’s major plans for his character, but unless you know him from the comics you’ll be left clueless by the nods to his family heritage. And the post credit scene doesn’t make it any clearer, nor will anyone realise it’s Blade speaking to him unless you read one of the articles with Zhao confirming it.

Harry Styles’ appearance was good fun at least and got a big reaction at my cinema.

So yeah, absolutely no urge to see an Eternals 2 but wouldn’t be against a few of them popping up in other Marve properties. [\spoiler]
[close]

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6813 on: November 11, 2021, 10:49:03 pm »
Re. the future of the MCU...

Spoiler
I wonder if they've shot themselves in the foot with a potential Galactus phase as the reason he would come to Earth (to eat the Celestial) has been rendered inert. Be interesting to see how/when/if they introduce him.[/quote]
[close]

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #6814 on: November 12, 2021, 12:49:14 am »
I was reading some comments from people that have seen the first 2 episodes of Hawkeye and they say it feels more like the old Netflix Marvel shows which can be good and bad sometimes it feels like nothing much is happening.

But im looking forward to it.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6815 on: November 12, 2021, 05:10:21 am »
Think Spider-Man will go back to Sony after this one. It was a 6-movie contract if I remember correctly

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6816 on: November 12, 2021, 08:10:04 am »
Spoiler
is the beacon in Shang Chi bonus scene, the same as the ones Harry Styles & Eternals have?
[close]

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6817 on: November 12, 2021, 08:57:28 am »
Just checked Disney+ and Shang Chi is indeed on there to stream from today - although it wasn't on my home screen, had to search it out. New episode of Assembled focused on it too.

I was reading some comments from people that have seen the first 2 episodes of Hawkeye and they say it feels more like the old Netflix Marvel shows which can be good and bad sometimes it feels like nothing much is happening.

But im looking forward to it.

I think the trap a lot of the Netflix Marvel shows fell into - along with most other streaming shows - is the idea of a series eseentially being one long film. The problem with that is that all episodes just blur together, especially on streaming services where there usually isn't a week between episodes. TV should be episodic - it's a huge strength when done right. That doesn't mean you can't tell broader stories across a series, but IMO episodes should feel like their own standalone thing while still fitting into a larger whole.

It's why I liked WandaVision so much I think, because each episode was very clearly its own thing. Loki had a bit of that as well, albeit not to the same extent. Falcon/WS very much felt like a movie spread across six episodes, and was all the worse for it. My feeling is Hawkeye might be a bit like that too, but at least it doesn't look like it's taking itself too seriously.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6818 on: November 12, 2021, 10:25:58 am »
It was on the other places with all the sound files (including actor and director comms) and subtitles in 4k two days ago.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6819 on: November 12, 2021, 12:46:37 pm »
I think the trap a lot of the Netflix Marvel shows fell into - along with most other streaming shows - is the idea of a series eseentially being one long film. The problem with that is that all episodes just blur together, especially on streaming services where there usually isn't a week between episodes. TV should be episodic - it's a huge strength when done right. That doesn't mean you can't tell broader stories across a series, but IMO episodes should feel like their own standalone thing while still fitting into a larger whole.

It's why I liked WandaVision so much I think, because each episode was very clearly its own thing. Loki had a bit of that as well, albeit not to the same extent. Falcon/WS very much felt like a movie spread across six episodes, and was all the worse for it. My feeling is Hawkeye might be a bit like that too, but at least it doesn't look like it's taking itself too seriously.

I thought that style worked better for F&WS and trying to do that one more episodically would have probably been a mistake, the main thing D+ needs to do with their shows is not fall into a trap of feeling forced to do a particular format, which was part of the problem with the Netflix shows, alongside their incessant mid-season padding obviously.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6820 on: November 12, 2021, 03:53:42 pm »
I was totally surprised by Shang-Chi up there with one of my fav Marvel movies really enjoyable

Quite surprised with this as I was really looking forward to it. Thought it was garbage.

Awkwafina has to be one of the worst characters ever cast - Ive seen all the Marvel movies and I dont think I've ever wanted anyone to just shut the fuck up as much as her.

My 14 year old son commented on it after 10 minutes - "hope she gets slotted as soon as possible"

Like a poor mans Jumanji
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6821 on: November 12, 2021, 09:42:59 pm »
Shang-Chi was decent enough but it did go on a bit too long and the third act was a mess as usual.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #6822 on: November 13, 2021, 12:16:35 pm »
Awkwafina has to be one of the worst characters ever cast - Ive seen all the Marvel movies and I dont think I've ever wanted anyone to just shut the fuck up as much as her.

Yup, she was really grating.  Very average actress too, some of her deliveries were wooden as hell.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6823 on: November 13, 2021, 01:12:33 pm »
Voice like gravel too.

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6824 on: November 13, 2021, 08:28:14 pm »
Quite surprised with this as I was really looking forward to it. Thought it was garbage.

My 14 year old son commented on it after 10 minutes - "hope she gets slotted as soon as possible"

Like a poor mans Jumanji

My thoughts exactly, thought it was well below average. Maybe I'm a bit tired of the Marvel franchise, I don't know.

Yeah, but she was the worst part of that film, shite comic relief and totally unnecessary

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #6825 on: November 13, 2021, 08:32:57 pm »
So unexpectedly I was invited to a preview of Shang-Chi - Legend of 10 rings last night.

Won't comment on it, as I'm an old fart now, it has much of what you will expect in it and many will enjoy it.

What it does have (non-spoiler) is a particular object related to a particular football club, which must be a first for Marvel and will amuse many - especially in the context it is seen in.
Finally got around to watching Shang Chi - was tickled pink to see it appear in a good number of shots too!
Someone involved in the movie is a massive Liverpool fan for sure

Quite enjoyed the movie overall - felt like a nice return for Marvel - lots of humour sprinkled in with not too serious but well-choreographed fight scenes and decent special effects. It's really whetted my appetite for Doctor Strange 2.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 08:41:04 pm by Rush 82 »

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6826 on: November 14, 2021, 12:30:32 pm »

Like a poor mans Jumanji
I am with you on this. Thought it was absolute garbage.
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #6827 on: November 15, 2021, 06:59:10 am »
Watched Eternals last night

Was an ok film, dragged on a bit to begin with and middle but the end of the film was good

Post credits though...
Spoiler
Harry Styles is Thanos's Brother, WTF Marvel!! :butt
[close]

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6828 on: November 15, 2021, 08:50:19 am »
Spider-Man trailer is debuting tomorrow, apparently.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6829 on: November 15, 2021, 10:41:24 am »
It better have this scene in there somewhere

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #6830 on: November 15, 2021, 11:08:18 am »
Finally watched Shang-Chi, enjoyable but I'd put it as a mid-tier Marvel entry; the Big Bad was certainly better than a lot of the similar Marvel efforts and there was some cool choreography - the bus scene at the start being a highlight - but I don't really get the rave reviews, it followed a fairly predictable path. It has however upped my enthusiasm for the next Dr Strange.

For me, better than the first two Thors, better than the Iron Man films, not as good as Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Ragnarok, Guardians, Captain America entries etc.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6831 on: November 15, 2021, 11:26:46 am »
Finally watched Shang-Chi, enjoyable but I'd put it as a mid-tier Marvel entry; the Big Bad was certainly better than a lot of the similar Marvel efforts and there was some cool choreography - the bus scene at the start being a highlight - but I don't really get the rave reviews, it followed a fairly predictable path. It has however upped my enthusiasm for the next Dr Strange.

For me, better than the first two Thors, better than the Iron Man films, not as good as Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Ragnarok, Guardians, Captain America entries etc.

I think that's probably about right. I just had really low expectations for Shang Chi so was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Although I'd disagree with it being better than all the Iron Man films, I have soft spot for Iron Man 3 and the first film is really solid. Iron Man 2, obviously, was dreadful. Don't think Captain Marvel was particularly good though, haven't really taken to Larson in the role yet but still plenty time for that.

Speaking of Black Panther, the sequel's production seems to be in a spot of bother. Letitia Wright, who plays Shuri, had a bad injury on set in August which set things back significantly. They kept filming scenes not involving her for a couple of months, but have now shut things down and aren't filming again until early next year once she's recovered. The much bigger problem is that Wright is an anti-vaxxer, and new guidelines in the US mean she won't be allowed into the country (where the main filming is happening) as any foreign citizens must be double vaxxed to get in.

Feige must be going nuts - Wright is presumably integral to the film, and seems the strongest candidate to become Black Panther. But I wonder if they are maybe considering their options? Recasting would be a bold move, considering they already have plenty of the film in the can, but if the script does have her becoming BP then they must be worried about having an anti-vaxxer as the face of such an important property.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #6832 on: November 15, 2021, 11:31:57 am »
I think that's probably about right. I just had really low expectations for Shang Chi so was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Although I'd disagree with it being better than all the Iron Man films, I have soft spot for Iron Man 3 and the first film is really solid. Iron Man 2, obviously, was dreadful. Don't think Captain Marvel was particularly good though, haven't really taken to Larson in the role yet but still plenty time for that.

Speaking of Black Panther, the sequel's production seems to be in a spot of bother. Letitia Wright, who plays Shuri, had a bad injury on set in August which set things back significantly. They kept filming scenes not involving her for a couple of months, but have now shut things down and aren't filming again until early next year once she's recovered. The much bigger problem is that Wright is an anti-vaxxer, and new guidelines in the US mean she won't be allowed into the country (where the main filming is happening) as any foreign citizens must be double A bullshit film by a charlatan who unethically exploited his children's friends and lost his medical license for fraud to get in.

Feige must be going nuts - Wright is presumably integral to the film, and seems the strongest candidate to become Black Panther. But I wonder if they are maybe considering their options? Recasting would be a bold move, considering they already have plenty of the film in the can, but if the script does have her becoming BP then they must be worried about having an anti-vaxxer as the face of such an important property.
I don't follow Marvel news much, so am somewhat surprised that she's involved at all, I thought she'd been widely ostracised due to her anti-vax leanings? I think she's good as Shuri, not sure I like her for the Black Panther role outright, she doesn't have the gravity for it in my opinion. I really like the idea of bringing Michael B. Jordan back into the MCU in some way as the Black Panther. He's a good actor, did a great job as Killmonger - it would be a shame for him to have only one film given he's one of the best Marvel villains we've had - and has the gravity and profile for the role, whilst being massively marketable. Shuri still seems a bit childlike for me, despite the further characterisation in Endgame. They have some form for recasting - Hulk and Spiderman - but those aren't exactly like-for-like situations that you can conflate with this.

Disney/Marvel have been pushing everything back anyway, from what you're saying it sounds like we could have somewhat of an indeterminate delay.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6833 on: November 15, 2021, 11:35:07 am »

Black Panther, Captain Marvel and Captain America 1 were not that good, reckon Shang Chi was better than those, but yeah way off the 3rd Thor Film, Guardians and Winter Soldier, which in my opinion is my favourite Marvel movie.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6834 on: November 15, 2021, 11:47:07 am »
I don't follow Marvel news much, so am somewhat surprised that she's involved at all, I thought she'd been widely ostracised due to her anti-vax leanings? I think she's good as Shuri, not sure I like her for the Black Panther role outright, she doesn't have the gravity for it in my opinion. I really like the idea of bringing Michael B. Jordan back into the MCU in some way as the Black Panther. He's a good actor, did a great job as Killmonger - it would be a shame for him to have only one film given he's one of the best Marvel villains we've had - and has the gravity and profile for the role, whilst being massively marketable. Shuri still seems a bit childlike for me, despite the further characterisation in Endgame. They have some form for recasting - Hulk and Spiderman - but those aren't exactly like-for-like situations that you can conflate with this.

Disney/Marvel have been pushing everything back anyway, from what you're saying it sounds like we could have somewhat of an indeterminate delay.

Yeah, I guess she was a known anti-vaxxer before production started so maybe they had the good sense not to make her the new Black Panther. I do think they'll be tempted by Michael B Jordan, and the multiverse now being a thing gives them a way to do it without lessening the impact of the first film.

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6835 on: November 15, 2021, 01:40:05 pm »
Watched Shang-Chi at the weekend and it was everything you expect from a Marvel film....and maybe that is the problem with them now.....you know exactly what you are going to get.

The final baddie (no spoliers) was a nice addition as was how the fight evolved, but as with most marvel films, the 'threat' isn't real so its hard to feel attached to the ending....its just something that is happening before the next thing or film happens.

I'm no comic fan boy, so i am struggling to get excited about all these new characters.....it feels like they shot thier load with the initial bunch, all the big hitters everybody has heard of, so even though they introduced unknown characters (for me) like GoTG and Dr Strange, they were wrapped up in what we all know, so it worked.  I'm not getting the same feeling this time round and its too many new characters.

I'll still watch them and maybe it will all come good, but i'm now watching for the sake of it and waiting till it comes out on Disney+, no clamouring for watching it on the big screen.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6836 on: November 15, 2021, 03:26:45 pm »
Watched Shang-Chi at the weekend and it was everything you expect from a Marvel film....and maybe that is the problem with them now.....you know exactly what you are going to get.

The final baddie (no spoliers) was a nice addition as was how the fight evolved, but as with most marvel films, the 'threat' isn't real so its hard to feel attached to the ending....its just something that is happening before the next thing or film happens.

I'm no comic fan boy, so i am struggling to get excited about all these new characters.....it feels like they shot thier load with the initial bunch, all the big hitters everybody has heard of, so even though they introduced unknown characters (for me) like GoTG and Dr Strange, they were wrapped up in what we all know, so it worked.  I'm not getting the same feeling this time round and its too many new characters.

I'll still watch them and maybe it will all come good, but i'm now watching for the sake of it and waiting till it comes out on Disney+, no clamouring for watching it on the big screen.

From a business perspective, things are great for Marvel - the brand is strong enough that they can launch unknown characters and still get big box office numbers, and Disney+ opens up a huge avenue for building multiple TV shows.

But creatively, it feels like they're in a tricky spot. The problem with the 'universe' they've built is that it's now so vast it's hard to have a clear throughline, which they had in the first few phases. It was much easier to keep track of the overarching stories when there was two films a year and no TV shows. Now you have three or four films, plus the same amount of TV shows - it's inevitable that big Marvel fans will simply fall away and end up skipping certain things.

In terms of characters, it's obviously a bit of a fallow period - they've lost Iron Man and Captain America who were the heart of the MCU through to Endgame. Black Widow as well, to a certain extent. But it's worth remembering that someone like Iron Man wasn't an A-list superhero before the MCU, it's because of the MCU that he's regarded as such. It'll take a while to build things back up again, and the first Phase 4 films have been a strange mix (a prequel film about a dead Avenger?)

Those films are all a bit of a palate cleanser, and hopefully the upcoming movies will make things a bit more interesting. The next four films are all about pretty major characters - Spider-Man, Dr Strange, Thor and Black Panther - so will likely set the tone for the future of the MCU.

And there's still massive opportunities in terms of new characters, particularly with the Fantastic Four and X-Men. The latter, in particular, has a wealth of well-known characters - Professor X, Magneto and Wolverine are three colossal Marvel characters, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6837 on: November 15, 2021, 04:13:54 pm »
It's sort of a new phase one almost with them launching new characters, whilst (except Thor) the characters who were established in phase 2 and 3 lead the way. Suppose initially then it was very seperate films, and no sort of overall plot became clear until the post credits sting at the end of The Avengers. Though I suppose this time the audience (and Loki) have the knowledge of who may be pulling the strings somewhere in the near future.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #6838 on: November 15, 2021, 04:17:01 pm »
Watched Eternals over the weekend with my boy, thought it was just a nothing film.

Is the Sentinel in this, the same as the Sentinal as in Guardians of the Galaxy 2 just in a different form?

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6839 on: November 15, 2021, 04:29:27 pm »
From a business perspective, things are great for Marvel - the brand is strong enough that they can launch unknown characters and still get big box office numbers, and Disney+ opens up a huge avenue for building multiple TV shows.

But creatively, it feels like they're in a tricky spot. The problem with the 'universe' they've built is that it's now so vast it's hard to have a clear throughline, which they had in the first few phases. It was much easier to keep track of the overarching stories when there was two films a year and no TV shows. Now you have three or four films, plus the same amount of TV shows - it's inevitable that big Marvel fans will simply fall away and end up skipping certain things.

In terms of characters, it's obviously a bit of a fallow period - they've lost Iron Man and Captain America who were the heart of the MCU through to Endgame. Black Widow as well, to a certain extent. But it's worth remembering that someone like Iron Man wasn't an A-list superhero before the MCU, it's because of the MCU that he's regarded as such. It'll take a while to build things back up again, and the first Phase 4 films have been a strange mix (a prequel film about a dead Avenger?)

Those films are all a bit of a palate cleanser, and hopefully the upcoming movies will make things a bit more interesting. The next four films are all about pretty major characters - Spider-Man, Dr Strange, Thor and Black Panther - so will likely set the tone for the future of the MCU.

And there's still massive opportunities in terms of new characters, particularly with the Fantastic Four and X-Men. The latter, in particular, has a wealth of well-known characters - Professor X, Magneto and Wolverine are three colossal Marvel characters, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Don’t forget Blade!