Author Topic: The Cyclist Thread  (Read 1834022 times)

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
Re: The Cyclist Thread
« Reply #34600 on: January 8, 2021, 06:51:27 pm »
I went for the spending money option and have a Wahoo core.

Best thing I've bought beside the bike and was well worth the extra cash.

Even thinking of splashing out a bit and getting the climber which simulates going up and down hills.

Not going to tell the missus on how much they cost though ;)

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34601 on: January 8, 2021, 07:16:35 pm »
What gloves do you all wear when it is both cold and wet?

I have some sealskin which are great in the wet but crap in the cold and I have a pair from Decathlon which are the opposite...

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #34602 on: January 8, 2021, 07:17:37 pm »
Nice trainer. Not too sure if the climber thingy would benefit me. I hate hills! Its hard enough on Zwift with the direct braking.

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34603 on: January 8, 2021, 11:15:05 pm »

I have some sealskin which are great in the wet but crap in the cold and I have a pair from Decathlon which are the opposite...

It's a never ending search, nearly as bad as winter boots...

Currently testing a pair of neoprene gloves (from ebay). Were good today in 2 deg and sleet, but was only out for an hour and don't suffer from cold fingers too much.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
The Cyclist Thread
« Reply #34604 on: January 9, 2021, 12:07:41 am »
Neoprene gloves are good. Only problem is that neoprene is not at all breathable so your hands can get a bit sweaty. They will definitely keep you warm though, even on a long ride in cold temperatures and a persistent downpour. I know this from bitter experience. I actually find neoprene gloves too warm most of the time, even when it’s sub zero.

I have a few pairs of winter gloves made of goretex or similar fabrics. All are good, you just have to find ones that fit you well and have the right level of padding to suit you (I prefer very little padding in my gloves). Current favourites are a Sportful pair. They only keep the rain out for so long though.

I know what you mean about the never ending search. I had a pair I loved (from Kalf) but my wife borrowed them and lost them and now they don’t make those ones any more and I’ve never found a pair I liked as much. Grrr!
« Last Edit: January 9, 2021, 12:11:30 am by smutchin »

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34605 on: January 9, 2021, 08:17:54 am »
My problem is I suffer from carpal syndrome in my left hand, which seems much worse in cold weather, so need cushioning but as smutchin I don't really like thick padding as it feels like you have little control of the shifters.

I do agree about the never ending search and I also did have a great pair a few years ago but they also are no longer in production...

Did have a good tip once that wearing surgical gloves under help with the sweating, seemed to work but it's fiddly.

Might give the Neoprene a go though. Thanks

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34606 on: January 15, 2021, 10:13:24 pm »
So my climber arrived today, great piece of gear and makes the ride a bit more realistic.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #34607 on: January 16, 2021, 12:31:48 am »

Best I ever had was some ski mittens I got in the late seventies. Hands always warm even in the wet. Still got them somewhere...

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34608 on: January 16, 2021, 10:54:21 am »
My dhb neoprene gloves arrived on Friday so will see how they are on Monday...

Offline Paul_Nudge

• Main Stander
« Reply #34609 on: January 17, 2021, 01:16:17 am »
Has anyone got experience or advice on getting set up with an Elite Direto Turbi Trainer to use with Zwift?

Most bikes that I find at the price I want to pay are 8 speed (8 cogs on the back wheel as I understand it), but the turbo trainer is only compatible with 9, 10 or 11 speed.

Any advice would be great.

cheers

Paul
Moses said come forth, but we came first!

Offline Stevie-A

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34610 on: January 17, 2021, 09:36:11 am »
Has anyone got experience or advice on getting set up with an Elite Direto Turbi Trainer to use with Zwift?

Most bikes that I find at the price I want to pay are 8 speed (8 cogs on the back wheel as I understand it), but the turbo trainer is only compatible with 9, 10 or 11 speed.

cheers

Paul

I have an Elite Drivo (brilliant kit) and it came with spacers for the cassette. I use 11 speed but the spacers should, in theory, allow you to fit an 8 speed. You could drop them a line as I had to contact with a small set up issues (my misunderstanding). They got back very quickly. Good luck. The set up with Zwift is easy.

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34611 on: January 17, 2021, 01:12:35 pm »

cheers

Paul

That seems odd to me, the freehub for 8 and 9/10 speed is likely the same. You'll need a spacer behind the cassette, but I think the freehub will have the same size. I've just converted my old 3x8 commuter bike to 1x10 with the same freehub. You could ask their customer support to make sure, but afaik, it should work.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34612 on: January 22, 2021, 12:36:48 pm »
That seems odd to me, the freehub for 8 and 9/10 speed is likely the same. You'll need a spacer behind the cassette, but I think the freehub will have the same size. I've just converted my old 3x8 commuter bike to 1x10 with the same freehub. You could ask their customer support to make sure, but afaik, it should work.

I concur with this. 8/9/10-speed freehub bodies are all the same width, 11-speed freehubs are 1.8mm wider, so you can fit an 8-speed cassette to an 11-speed hub with spacers. (Though obviously you can't fit an 11-speed cassette to an 8-speed hub.)

You can get a bag of assorted spacers for a few quid from Wiggle.

Offline XabiGerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34613 on: January 27, 2021, 11:23:35 am »
I’m looking into doing more cycling but nothing too long distance. Maybe riding to work which would be a 20 mile round trip. There’s so much selection, I’m not clued up on what to go for and I’m not really looking to spend too much (around £250)

Can anyone recommend anything for around that figure?

Cheers

Offline Jamesie

• Main Stander
« Reply #34614 on: January 27, 2021, 09:05:06 pm »
I’m looking into doing more cycling but nothing too long distance. Maybe riding to work which would be a 20 mile round trip. There’s so much selection, I’m not clued up on what to go for and I’m not really looking to spend too much (around £250)

Cheers

Probably worth looking second hand for something with a decent spec.

Online redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34615 on: January 28, 2021, 05:19:59 am »

Cheers

Difficult in that price range, especially at the moment where demand is high and there are no decent offers out there. Usually second hand would be a good option, but anything half decent is already gone. Think Decathlon and Halfords are your best bet in that price range. Stay away from anything with suspension though, its crap when its that cheap.

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34616 on: February 6, 2021, 01:44:49 pm »
So Used the neoprene gloves twice now and they have been great, thanks for the tip!

Online redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34617 on: February 7, 2021, 09:04:51 am »
So Used the neoprene gloves twice now and they have been great, thanks for the tip!

May your hands be warm! :)

Are you getting the new "beast from the east" winter weather, or are you on the warm side of it? It's been crap every weekend here lately, though right now at least its not raining.

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34618 on: February 7, 2021, 08:14:17 pm »
May your hands be warm! :)

Are you getting the new "beast from the east" winter weather, or are you on the warm side of it? It's been crap every weekend here lately, though right now at least its not raining.
A bit cold here and snowed a little this morning but the not as much as in the North of Belgium and Holland...

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34619 on: March 19, 2021, 07:21:34 pm »
Anyone have a Hammerhead Karoo 2?

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #34620 on: April 21, 2021, 11:10:56 pm »
Got myself a cheap bike (£150) because I'm a fat get and I used to be able to cycle for miles as a teenager. Thinking is if I properly get into it I'll spend some Christmas money on a better one. Took a few rides for me to get back into the swing, particularly on the roads, but surprised myself how easily I've been able to get up to 15+ miles just of an evening.

Decided to do the Bridgewater Canal from Manchester city centre to Warrington tonight, got to Lymm and got a puncture with my repair kit in my other bloody bag. So that's a favour I owe my dad for the pickup.

Anyway, as I haven't been a cyclist since uni (a decade... :( ) - what advice would you give? What would you recommend I carry? I have a handpump, multi-head screwdriver/allen key set and a multi-spanner. Any advice on good puncture repair kits? I don't trust Amazon any more.

Thinking of doing Warrington to Southport via the Loop Line cycleway on my day off next week, see if I can get my 20 stone 30 miles or so. Any good rookie routes near train stations I can look at in the northwest?
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Online redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34621 on: April 22, 2021, 07:51:53 am »
Got myself a cheap bike (£150) because I'm a fat get and I used to be able to cycle for miles as a teenager. Thinking is if I properly get into it I'll spend some Christmas money on a better one. Took a few rides for me to get back into the swing, particularly on the roads, but surprised myself how easily I've been able to get up to 15+ miles just of an evening.

Decided to do the Bridgewater Canal from Manchester city centre to Warrington tonight, got to Lymm and got a puncture with my repair kit in my other bloody bag. So that's a favour I owe my dad for the pickup.

Anyway, as I haven't been a cyclist since uni (a decade... :( ) - what advice would you give? What would you recommend I carry? I have a handpump, multi-head screwdriver/allen key set and a multi-spanner. Any advice on good puncture repair kits? I don't trust Amazon any more.

Thinking of doing Warrington to Southport via the Loop Line cycleway on my day off next week, see if I can get my 20 stone 30 miles or so. Any good rookie routes near train stations I can look at in the northwest?

I just use the pucture repair kits of Wilko's, £1, but maybe they've gone up. Put tyre levers in your kit too. I carry a quick link for my chain, in case it breaks, but you'll have to check if there is one that'd work with your chain (and then you'll need a chain tool). Considering you're probably not going that far, I don't think you'll need that.

Make sure the bike is in good nick before setting off, lube the chain now and then and check the tyres, and you'll prevent a lot of things that could go wrong anyway. Especially with cheap bikes, it's worth keeping an eye on all the bearings and if anything feels grindy or makes noises, take it to a shop.

Regarding routes, take it you are in Warrington? You can follow the Sankey valley path quite far, and on one end it's linked to the transpennine trail along the canal which will take you down to Widnes.

There also a good bike path from Eccles/Manchester over to Bolton.

If you go on google maps and turn on cycling, you'll see all the bike paths, and can see if you can link something up. If you're fine riding on the roads, go across the canal and into Cheshire, most of the small lanes are great for cycling.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34622 on: April 22, 2021, 09:26:19 am »
Regarding routes, take it you are in Warrington? You can follow the Sankey valley path quite far, and on one end it's linked to the transpennine trail along the canal which will take you down to Widnes.

There also a good bike path from Eccles/Manchester over to Bolton.

If you go on google maps and turn on cycling, you'll see all the bike paths, and can see if you can link something up. If you're fine riding on the roads, go across the canal and into Cheshire, most of the small lanes are great for cycling.

Nice one thanks. I'm actually city centre Manchester so I've been looking at the TP Trail.

Didn't know about the Google Maps cycle mode, cheers.

Offline Stevie-A

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34623 on: April 22, 2021, 10:59:22 am »

The faff of having to do a puncture repair fills me with dread. I carry a spare inner tube, tyre levers, pump, and a Topeak tool.  https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Topeak-Mini-20-Pro-Multi-Tool_34400.htm?sku=79963&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0t3Ch8uR8AIVk-7tCh2fxw17EAQYBCABEgJZD_D_BwE. I do also carry some quick patches, just in case, but have rarely used them. https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-10-self-adhesive-instant-puncture-repair-patches?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360743660&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=&utm_medium=base&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6bzLrcuR8AIVGs93Ch2DKQK1EAQYBSABEgLfTfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds Good luck and enjoy the rides!

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34624 on: April 22, 2021, 02:01:35 pm »

I would just carry a spare inner tube or two. If you get a puncture, just swap the tube. It's far better to carry out puncture repairs at home - you can take your time over the job and do it properly.

For puncture repair kits, Rema TipTop kits have been my go-to for as long as I can remember. They come in different sizes though, so make sure you get the right ones (04 Sport has small patches for skinny road bike tubes, 02 Touring has larger patches for bikes with fatter tyres).

This is what I would normally carry on a ride, if riding a tubed set-up:
Spare inner tube(s)
Mini pump and/or CO2 canisters
Tyre levers
Multitool
Instant patches (in case you get more punctures than you have spare tubes)
Quick link (in case of chain breakage)
Tyre boot (in case you get a large cut/gash in your tyre - this stops the tube bulging out and bursting)

But I actually run tubeless tyres on my road bike now - they contain sealant fluid so if you get a puncture, they instantly repair themselves and you don't even have to stop riding. I still carry a spare tube though, in case I get a puncture that can't seal itself, which has happened once.

Online redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34625 on: April 22, 2021, 05:51:21 pm »
The instant patches have never worked for me (just don't stick properly), but tbf both packs I got were freebies.

And yes, carry a tube for your tyre size! I thought that was on your list anyway? I do still carry patches and glue as a backup, they don't weigh much. But similar to smutchin, my tyres are tubeless, so the tube and the patches are really already worst case backups. I wouldn't think you have tubeless-ready rims on a £150 bike though.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34626 on: April 23, 2021, 09:09:35 am »
The instant patches have never worked for me (just don't stick properly), but tbf both packs I got were freebies.

Some are better than others, IME. The Park ones seem OK. But I'd never use them for a permanent repair - whenever I've needed to use them, it's as a get-me-home measure - rip them off and repair properly when you get home.

I wouldn't think you have tubeless-ready rims on a £150 bike though.

It would be highly unlikely!

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34627 on: April 28, 2021, 12:20:25 am »
Small update, did the things I was told and bought what I needed and ended up cycling Manchester city centre to Speke along the Bridgewater and St. Helens canals, where I made the decision that the 30 miles to Southport was just too much, so went through Garston and along the promenade into the city centre, where I toasted myself in the Baltic Fleet. 43 miles in all.

Sound like I'm blowing my own trumpet, don't mean to, but I'm 20 stone and before last week I hadn't cycled further than a few miles in over a decade. Hoping it's the start of something to shift this weight.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34628 on: April 28, 2021, 10:07:43 am »
Great stuff. Well done!

The main thing is that it sounds like you enjoyed it, which is going to be the biggest determiner in whether or not you keep it up. And things like having the right clothing and equipment will always make the whole experience much more pleasant.

Now get yourself on Strava so you can chart your progress.

Just don't be tempted to try increasing your distances too quickly - take it steady and gradual. If you can keep it up, there's no reason to think you won't be doing your first 100-miler before too long, but it's not a race to get there.

Online redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34629 on: April 29, 2021, 08:27:32 am »
Sounds ace, thats a nice route along the canals! 43 miles is a decent ride, especially on the tow paths.

When you do ride the TPT bit over to Southport, pick a day with the wind in your back - the 10 miles or so between the coast and Maghull are in very open fields and not much fun with a headwind.

Offline Stevie-A

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34630 on: April 29, 2021, 10:04:24 am »
Small update, did the things I was told and bought what I needed and ended up cycling Manchester city centre to Speke along the Bridgewater and St. Helens canals, where I made the decision that the 30 miles to Southport was just too much, so went through Garston and along the promenade into the city centre, where I toasted myself in the Baltic Fleet. 43 miles in all.

Sound like I'm blowing my own trumpet, don't mean to, but I'm 20 stone and before last week I hadn't cycled further than a few miles in over a decade. Hoping it's the start of something to shift this weight.

Well done, great stuff. As mentioned elsewhere, take your time building up. The physical will build quite quickly though it's also about 'durability' in the saddle. Getting used to time on the bike is key. Keep it going.

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34631 on: May 27, 2021, 09:09:46 pm »
Anyone on here done the fred whitton? Doing the route this weekend so any tips/coffee stop suggestions much appreciated!

Online redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34632 on: May 29, 2021, 09:00:10 am »
Anyone on here done the fred whitton? Doing the route this weekend so any tips/coffee stop suggestions much appreciated!

Nope, sorry, too many hills! Have fun, picked a great weekend for it!

Offline WorldChampions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34633 on: May 29, 2021, 09:38:25 pm »
Nope, sorry, too many hills! Have fun, picked a great weekend for it!

Thanks mate, probably a bit too hot for my liking tomorrow but I'm sure the sunburn will be nothing compared to the leg burn!

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34634 on: May 30, 2021, 02:02:46 pm »

Suggestions? Get your sanity checked!

Good luck! Hope you enjoy it.

Offline WorldChampions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34635 on: May 31, 2021, 06:48:55 am »
Suggestions? Get your sanity checked!

Good luck! Hope you enjoy it.

Definitely enjoyed it, stunning scenery and gorgeous weather yesterday.

Cramp kicked in on both legs just as I hit the steepest section towards the top of hardknott so had to push up that bit unfortunately! Made it up the rest of the climbs no problem though, we got round in 7h50m which I'm happy with, we were definitely helped by a lack of wind though.

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34636 on: May 31, 2021, 01:48:57 pm »
Went out on the Gravel bike yesterday, nice ride through the woods etc.

Later on I turned on the news to see that the Police Swat team and the Army were searching the very same woods for a Rouge Military lad ,who has been in hiding for a couple of weeks after he left the

barracks with an Arsenal of weapons and has said he's going to attack various people...

Online redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34637 on: May 31, 2021, 03:24:53 pm »
Went out on the Gravel bike yesterday, nice ride through the woods etc.

Later on I turned on the news to see that the Police Swat team and the Army were searching the very same woods for a Rouge Military lad ,who has been in hiding for a couple of weeks after he left the

barracks with an Arsenal of weapons and has said he's going to attack various people...

Did he have a gravel bike too.....? :P

Scary coincidence!

Online redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34638 on: May 31, 2021, 03:26:02 pm »
Definitely enjoyed it, stunning scenery and gorgeous weather yesterday.

Cramp kicked in on both legs just as I hit the steepest section towards the top of hardknott so had to push up that bit unfortunately! Made it up the rest of the climbs no problem though, we got round in 7h50m which I'm happy with, we were definitely helped by a lack of wind though.

Nice, well done! Weather was gorgeous yesterday, wanted to go out for another long ride today, but legs are shot ;D
At least its supposed to stay nice for another week or so.

Offline WorldChampions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34639 on: May 31, 2021, 09:31:59 pm »
Yeah, I'm hoping this turn of weather lasts. It's been pretty grim the last few weeks!